As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MMA]UFC 178: Porier vs McGregor (olol) - LIVE NOW!

• Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    Optimus Primetown (@JayPrimetown)
    7/7/14, 6:46 PM
    Rogan says that he has seen recent photos of Vitor Belfort... Does not look good, looks like he could fight at welterweight.

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    http://www.bjpenn.com/fight-breaks-out-on-set-of-tuf-20/

Dis gon be good can't wait for this season

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • Options
    Jens Pulver officially retired, as well.

At 5-11 since leaving the UFC in 2007, I'd say it's about time.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2121523-jens-pulver-says-hes-retired-from-mma-professes-his-love-for-bj-penn

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Someone remind me what had been going on with Struve before this last thing?

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Someone remind me what had been going on with Struve before this last thing?

Getting brutally knocked out a bit probably has something to do with it

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    UFC 176 CANCELLED

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    Second time they've cancelled an event because the talent is spread too thin and the undercard can't support a loss of a main event fighter.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    815165 wrote: »
    Second time they've cancelled an event because the talent is spread too thin and the undercard can't support a loss of a main event fighter.

Good.

I didn't even know BJ was fighting because I figured hey we just had a card.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WSOF releases a guy with Neo-Nazi tattoos after his criminal record is revealed.

WSOF PR guy literally says, "We don't do background checks". Good stuff, guys:

http://mmajunkie.com/2014/07/wsof-cuts-ties-with-fighter-sporting-neo-nazi-tattoos-criminal-background#sthash.dIQ87Pri.uxfs

Dana and Joe explain their spat after his post-fight interview with Ronda:

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/7/8/5879951/morning-report-ufc-joe-rogan-dana-white-ronda-rousey-chael-sonnen-bj-penn-mma-news

The Nevada Attorney General isn't messing around with Chael:

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/7/7/5878909/chael-sonnen-facing-possible-250000-fine-in-the-wake-of-failed-drug

Apparently, Pat Miletich and Carlos Newton were supposed to coach TUF 3. Interesting story:

http://msn.foxsports.com/ufc/story/tuf-3-at-the-heart-of-pat-miletich-s-exile-from-the-ufc-over-the-years-070614

Yoel Romero vs. Tim Kennedy added to UFC 178. Fuckin' violence, son:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2122973-yoel-romero-vs-tim-kennedy-set-for-ufc-178

• Options
    And UFC 176 wasn't cancelled, guys.

It was postponed.

...totally different.

http://mmajunkie.com/2014/07/ufc-postpones-ufc-176-pay-per-view-set-for-aug-2-in-los-angeles

• Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    WSOF releases a guy with Neo-Nazi tattoos after his criminal record is revealed.

WSOF PR guy literally says, "We don't do background checks". Good stuff, guys
    Would you prefer what the UFC did with Benjamin Brinsa?

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    B:L wrote: »
    UFC 176 CANCELLED

goddammit bones

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Man, Chael sure did test positive for a lot of stuff.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    B:L wrote: »

WSOF PR guy literally says, "We don't do background checks". Good stuff, guys
    Would you prefer what the UFC did with Benjamin Brinsa?

Well, the UFC didn't do a background check, either.

Regardless of if they would have found anything, that's a pretty basic thing to do with employees.

• Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    "Chael Sonnen Does Not Dispute NAC Drug Test Allegations, Waives His Right to a Hearing"

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/chael-sonnen-does-not-dispute-213225265--mma.html

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
  • Options
    DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    Phew, finally watched the TUF19 finale...

Frankie Edgar is my favorite fighter, but somehow I felt kind of sad watching BJ get destroyed with ground and pound worse than he did when he fought GSP. Then I watched the post fight presser and felt even more sad. When that one reporter asked him what his lasting legacy would be and BJ replied just a couple of highlight reels I got a little choked up.

I'm going to put BJ Penn's walk out music on my ipod today in tribute to another pioneer hanging up the gloves.

• Options
    Dangerbird wrote: »

Frankie Edgar is my favorite fighter, but somehow I felt kind of sad watching BJ get destroyed with ground and pound worse than he did when he fought GSP. Then I watched the post fight presser and felt even more sad. When that one reporter asked him what his lasting legacy would be and BJ replied just a couple of highlight reels I got a little choked up.

I'm going to put BJ Penn's walk out music on my ipod today in tribute to another pioneer hanging up the gloves.

Yeah it was tough to watch but Im kinda more bothered by Jens Pulver's retirement and the way BJ Penn's retirement will kinda completely over shadow it. Jens did amazing things for the sport and the stuff he overcame is amazing, I really really admire the guy. It's a bummer all around though to see these more modern era MMA guys hanging it up.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Welcome to the UFC, Holly Holm

• Options
    peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    here we go!

ali baguwhatever busted for epo

apparently it was a random test by the ufc

• Options
    DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular

Yeah it was tough to watch but Im kinda more bothered by Jens Pulver's retirement and the way BJ Penn's retirement will kinda completely over shadow it. Jens did amazing things for the sport and the stuff he overcame is amazing, I really really admire the guy. It's a bummer all around though to see these more modern era MMA guys hanging it up.

Pulver was another one of my favorites. His childhood was so fucked up that he had every right to grow up to be some sort of psycho killer, but he instead defied the odds and grew up to be a pretty decent human being.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    here we go!

I have a feeling a lot of fighters are going to get busted in the coming months. Either that or a lot of fights are mysteriously going to be fought at a slower pace...

• Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    So...I didn't run into Chael Sonnen in Vegas. I didn't really hunt too much for him, sadly. I did, however...

Meet JDS:

jau2.jpg

Meet Forrest Griffin:

pf2g.jpg

Meet Demetrious Johnson:

4g7j.jpg
    Had the last two of them sign my 'Legalize Wrestling WA' shirt:

ipwn.jpg
    8zka6.jpg

And also found Bigfoot and fistbumped him:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tHdLaaUHXU

What a fun, weird week.

Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    BuchoBucho One careful pwner Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Campy wrote: »
    here we go!

I have a feeling a lot of fighters are going to get busted in the coming months. Either that or a lot of fights are mysteriously going to be fought at a slower pace...

The random tests are the business. I'm curious about the percentage stats from them. I do remember that when Alistair popped the other 7 HWs on that card had been surprise-tested too, and none of them were hot, suggesting that, at least amongst that lot at the time, there was much less PED use than the rumours claimed.

Having said that, even though Bigfoot was clean on that one he later popped after The Greatest UFC Heavyweight Fight Of All Time, aka his war with Mark Hunt in Brisbane.

Bucho on
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Legacy wrote: »
    So...I didn't run into Chael Sonnen in Vegas. I didn't really hunt too much for him, sadly. I did, however...

Meet JDS:
    jau2.jpg

Meet Forrest Griffin:
    pf2g.jpg

Meet Demetrious Johnson:
    4g7j.jpg
    Had the last two of them sign my 'Legalize Wrestling WA' shirt:
    ipwn.jpg
    8zka6.jpg

And also found Bigfoot and fistbumped him:
    What a fun, weird week.

Awesome photos! Also you're a pretty big dude!

Campy on
  • Options
    Bucho wrote: »
    Campy wrote: »
    here we go!

The random tests are the business. I'm curious about the percentage stats from them. I do remember that when Alistair popped the other 7 HWs on that card had been surprise-tested too, and none of them were hot, suggesting that, at least amongst that lot at the time, there was much less PED use than the rumours claimed.

Having said that, even though Bigfoot was clean on that one he later popped after The Greatest UFC Heavyweight Fight Of All Time, aka his war with Mark Hunt in Brisbane.

The way random tests worked before it sounds like it was mostly pretty predictable and I don't believe it tested for as many substances. What I really like now is fighters are being tested between fights during the build up when they're far more likely to be cycling.

Pulver was another one of my favorites. His childhood was so fucked up that he had every right to grow up to be some sort of psycho killer, but he instead defied the odds and grew up to be a pretty decent human being.

Yeah he does some work for mental illness bringing both support and awareness I really really admire the guy for, him and Brandon Marshall on the Chicago Bears are two of the only guys I can think of that have come out said what they were diagnosed with and continue to help with all of that. Only other big time public figure that's done as much I can think of would be Carrie Fisher.

Oh and that legalize wrestling shirt is amazing.

• Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2014
    Oh yeah, for current thread title relevancy...I did meet Jens Pulver. At PAX last year:

5998696853072799721.jpeg?v=1

Edit: Last year? Actually that was in 2010. Yipes, memory...

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    UFC 174 is the lowest selling PPV since 2005, with buys estimated to be between 95,000 and 125,000:

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/7/10/5888421/johnson-shows-that-a-championship-exposure-and-success-doesnt-make

• Options
    here we go!

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Well, yeah Tim, that's because they don't announce every time an athlete pisses clean.

Derp.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Cyborg set to drop to Bantamweight for an Invicta fight this year.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/7/11/5890123/mma-news-cris-cyborg-bantamweight-invicta-december

And speaking of women fighters, start up your Holly Holm hype train!

http://middleeasy.com/fighting/item/13618-ten-things-you-may-not-know-about-new-ufc-fighter-holly-holm

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    And another thing! Why am I always away or semi broke whenever the UFC has goddamn gimme fights? Kevin Gastellum, Ricardo Lamas and Cub Swanson was the tightest fucking parlay of the decade and I'm in Finland sucking down bear piss beer.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
  • Options
    Watched some Rin Nakai highlights, chick is a beast looking forward to seeing her fight Tate. Was looking at the matchups trying to figure out who's next for Rousey and hate to say it but I really think it's Holly Holm, who I'd much rather see get a fight or two first to build hype and prepare a bit more.

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    i think cat zingano is finally healthy enough to do her title challenge which will give holm enough time to have a tune up fight, maybe against alexis davis or something

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Cat's already on the road to returning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1zTj_RQVWc

And she's got a fight set up against Amanda Nunes at 178:

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/7/10/5887237/cat-zingano-returns-against-amanda-nunes-at-ufc-178