As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Turnabout Webcomics

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Hobnail wrote: »
    FalsePostive guy seems to be much better at drawing weird shit than like, humans. I love the design of eyeball monster face crystalbeast, and the aliens from before but his people are sort of ghastly at all times. I'd love to seem him do something massive but with only weird shit, like I bet he could do a seriously gorgeous page of Kill Six Billion Demons

I disagree.

Humans are, for the most part, pretty hideous when viewed through a non-human lens.

Giant breathing holes on our face, into which we ALSO shove food? Constantly jamming appendages into holes through which we breath or hear? WE are disgusting by non-human standards.
    Um, what non-human standards? Because I think I'm looking pretty good compared to a sea cucumber
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_y4DbZivHCY

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    All this alien talk makes me think of stories where Aliens and Humans have a lick of common sense and self preservation....except for that one guy I'm gonna make a silly goose who provides traction for the story.

Free video game to someone (if they have and provide a steam account) if they can guess what flaw the interviewer noted as prohibiting me from success.

• Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    guys i'm pretty sure royce is a serial killer from a david fincher film

Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    All this alien talk makes me think of stories where Aliens and Humans have a lick of common sense and self preservation....except for that one guy I'm gonna make a silly goose who provides traction for the story.

Free video game to someone (if they have and provide a steam account) if they can guess what flaw the interviewer noted as prohibiting me from success.

history of yahooliganism

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    guys royce just sent me a humble bundle gift

what's in it

it's
    X-COM_-_Enforcer_Coverart.png

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2014
  • Options
    Kana wrote: »
    azith28 wrote: »
    So i just heard Wierd Al's new song "Word Crimes". I think the PA people contributed to it...
    hee hee

now I have too

http://youtu.be/8Gv0H-vPoDc
    This is from a few pages back, but I just watched it, and for a song about words he really should have known better than to use the phrase "write like a spastic" :|

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    So i just heard Wierd Al's new song "Word Crimes". I think the PA people contributed to it...
    hee hee

now I have too

This is from a few pages back, but I just watched it, and for a song about words he really should have known better than to use the phrase "write like a spastic" :|

spastic means a physically uncoordinated or twitchy person in US usage

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Plus, the word had to also rhyme with the previous verses.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    gdb46fc27.png

http://www.scarygoround.com/

That Tommy Swale...

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    In a lot of places it's like calling a person a "retard" though.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    hee hee

now I have too

I know, I am American. But people who are not are going to be watching the video.

• Options
    hee hee

now I have too

I know, I am American. But people who are not are going to be watching the video.

So he's American

And you're American

And he's writing for a primarily American audience

But it's on him to know that in a different culture the word has an additional connotation besides the dictionary definition of the word, and to only use words that are simultaneously inoffensive in every culture that can understand him?

That sounds like a pretty incredible burden to place upon like

anyone who has to use words

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    fun fact

"fanny" in british english means "vagina"

please don't say "fanny pack" around children in case they turn out to be accidentally british

Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    I did not know about this. I appreciate learning an innocuous word is a slur in another culture. Is it a Euro or South American thing?

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    I make it a point of saying "vagina pack" to the children around me, Snowbeat.

WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD YOU FUCKING PUNK KIDS.

• Options
    to be fair to coinage "spaz" is the accepted american english slang for "uncoordinated person"

i don't think i've ever heard an american say "spastic", even though it's the root for "spaz"

Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I am from an English speaking country and I don't enjoy the song as much from 'spastic' on. Even though I have listen to the song many times already every time it gets to that word it makes the song less fun.

Should he have not done it? I dunno. But the song would be better if it wasn't there.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Blurred Lines is such a terrible song. I cannot get past that listening to this parody, so I understand how you feel.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    But it's on him to know that in a different culture the word has an additional connotation besides the dictionary definition of the word, and to only use words that are simultaneously inoffensive in every culture that can understand him?
    Yes, because he is an international artist, and it is really not hard to avoid deeply offensive words from other cultures that speak the same language as you.
    Snowbeat wrote: »
    to be fair to coinage "spaz" is the accepted american english slang for "uncoordinated person"

i don't think i've ever heard an american say "spastic", even though it's the root for "spaz"
    Yeah, I would have much less of a problem with spaz, although of course that would not rhyme.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Blurred Lines is such a terrible song. I cannot get past that listening to this parody, so I understand how you feel.

I have never heard the original song I have heard the remix from Post Modern jutebox and the parody

• Options
    It really is, but Weird Al's singing instead of Robin's "singing" makes it bearable for me, but just barely.

• Options
    the video for blurred lines is uh... well it's nsfw i'll spoil that for you at least

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    ch09_49.jpg

Unsounded has unsavoury things in its archives.

• Options
    Brolo wrote: »
    the video for blurred lines is uh... well it's nsfw i'll spoil that for you at least
    And the song is so awful it manages to ruin that too. I didn't think ruining boobs was possible.

• Options
    Yes, because he is an international artist, and it is really not hard to avoid deeply offensive words from other cultures that speak the same language as you.
    Snowbeat wrote: »

Yeah, I would have much less of a problem with spaz, although of course that would not rhyme.

Like, spastic has been a word meaning a twitchy uncoordinated person or thing for literally longer than America has been a country

"Spastic paralysis" was shortened to the pejorative "spastic" or "spaz" in the 1980s in one english-speaking country in the world, and then used as a generic slur towards disabled people. Fine, that sucks, but it's more than a bit silly to expect the rest of the world to have any idea about it, or to say that therefore the word is ruined forever for everyone, no matter what it means in their culture. Last time I checked Brits get to say "cunt" on tv, while it's considered an incredibly insulting, inappropriate word in America. It's almost like different words have different contexts in different cultures.

And for that matter it's ridiculous that you think that "spaz" is less insulting, when it's just as much of a pejorative as "spastic" if not more so, you just don't know that because it's not your culture you're insulted on behalf of.

Plus the usage of the word is really clearly referring to the American slang meaning of an awkward, uncool person, as he's referencing someone's blog post. The British meaning doesn't even make sense in the context of the lyrics. I mean like yeah, if he was singing that you've got the handwriting of a spastic then maybe we've got a discussion, but he's referring to the poster's use of spelling and grammar.

Anyway this isn't about webcomics so I'm out

• Options
    Lalabox wrote: »
    ch09_49.jpg

Unsounded has unsavoury things in its archives.

the bloodbath that's going to result from everyone running into each other in unsounded can only be nullified by the healing powers of the garylarity

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I'm actually disappointed that everything Gary is on hiatus.

• Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    I'm actually disappointed that everything Gary is on hiatus.

I thought they'd be back by now, but I guess it's taking them longer to return from Connecticon than I thought. Maybe Thursday, if we're lucky? And maybe we'll finally find out if Gary and Amber boned or not? One can always hope.

Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    literally just discovered that in america you're allowed to call people "spastic"

that is hilarious to me

what other hugely taboo words are you permitted that we can't get away with

are you still allowed "oriental"? can you call someone a poofter without raising an eyebrow or two

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    I hear spastic a lot and don't know any other context, you can call objects oriental but not people, you can't say poofter without raising eyebrows but that's because no one knows what the fuck that means

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    Poofter doesn't even sound like a real word to us. It's like something out of a Dr. Seuss book or something. British slang and swear words are adorable.

Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Poofter means tourist, right?

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Poofter means tourist, right?

this is correct yes

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    literally just discovered that in america you're allowed to call people "spastic"

that is hilarious to me

what other hugely taboo words are you permitted that we can't get away with

are you still allowed "oriental"? can you call someone a poofter without raising an eyebrow or two

Where did you hear that? Calling someone spastic is not particularly P.C. in the states last time I checked. Oriental is also inappropriate when talking about people. I have never even heard of "poofter."

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular

Getting more and more convincef that what's happening in Lucky Penny is not a dream, not a hoax, not an imaginary tale

and if that's the case

I'm not sure I like the change in tone

wY6K6Jb.gif
This discussion has been closed.