As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Attention Citizens, Please Be On Alert for an Escaped [Super Hero Movie Thread].

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Has she gotten to the lesbian barely subtext yet?

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    I think his classic stuff still holds up as long as you're willing to put up with a little awkwardness as everyone either thinks or says aloud everything that's happening (which is not a quirk particular to Claremont mind you, thats how comics were in that era).

But right around the early 90s his stuff goes off a cliff and becomes pretty unreadable, and it's only gotten worse in things he's written since.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Radius wrote: »
    Chincy, how do you feel about...

Bone

I have the black and white omnibus and every volume of the colored edition and I've read the whole thing... 7 times?

It's.... maybe my favorite fantasy epic of all time

you're all right, Mr. McChilla

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I was watching West Wing when Josh went to talk to Clark Gregg who was an FBI agent. Now I just pretend that it was really Coulson in his job before being recruited by Shield and that the West Wing is in the Marvel universe.

Also, Mark Harmon

West Wing spoilers
    Who is secretly resurrected for the N.C.I.S. project

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Radius wrote: »
    Chincy, how do you feel about...

Bone

I have the black and white omnibus and every volume of the colored edition and I've read the whole thing... 7 times?

It's.... maybe my favorite fantasy epic of all time

you're all right, Mr. McChilla

Bone is a deep, complex story with a lot of characters, good writing and likeable leads, a deep backstory and worldbuilding

And also its fun, which is something that most epics are completely uninterested in being

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I was watching West Wing when Josh went to talk to Clark Gregg who was an FBI agent. Now I just pretend that it was really Coulson in his job before being recruited by Shield and that the West Wing is in the Marvel universe.

Also, Mark Harmon

West Wing spoilers

Well the director of NCIS is a stand-up comic in this one episode.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular

I still pretend that Agent May retired from field duty to a desk job because her last mission resulted in her getting stranded billions of light years from earth on an ancient alien space ship sent to discover the origin of the universe.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Okay, one final GotG theory before we hit the final week.
    So Yondu is the only character from the original GotG run (Well, besides the collector) who we know is showing up in the movie. What if he's not just a reappropriated character. What if he's actually part of the year 3000 team of the Guardians?

Say he finds the Time Stone in the future and it sends him back in time, only the stone doesn't travel with him. Yondu is stuck in the past, so he starts to go on the hunt for ancient relics of great power, hoping to find the time gem of the modern era. Along the way, Quill gets abducted and put into his care, so as you tend to do with children, you tell them stories and Yondu told young Quill stories about the Guardians of the Galaxy: a team of misfits and outcasts who came together to save the universe, which is where Quill gets the idea for the name.

GotG 2 will be about the time gem and jumping between the year 3000 era and the modern era. (Like DofP I guess; only less grim)

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular

Also, Mark Harmon

West Wing spoilers

Wait, the one who turned down performing for the White House?

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Balefuego wrote: »
    I think his classic stuff still holds up as long as you're willing to put up with a little awkwardness as everyone either thinks or says aloud everything that's happening (which is not a quirk particular to Claremont mind you, thats how comics were in that era).

But right around the early 90s his stuff goes off a cliff and becomes pretty unreadable, and it's only gotten worse in things he's written since.

I'm listening to him on the most recent Nerdist Comics Panel podcast and he's so out of touch it's crazy

he's criticizing how Wolverine is the headmaster of the Jean Grey School now and I just want to shake him and tell him that if he can't see how it's just an evolution of what he started when he made Wolverine Kitty Pryde and Jubilee's surrogate father then he needs to go and re-read his own work for a while

• HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    So Bookdepository gave me a 5% discount on my wishlist, and considering the books were already on sale I went ahead and ordered Ms Marvel, Ultimate Cataclysm, Uncanny Avengers vol 4 and Transformers RID vol 6. I chose Ms Marvel over Punisher because you all seem to think its the best thing since sliced bread, so it better live up to the expectations.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    thor always returns to midgard

BtLrrfxCcAA5StX.jpg

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular

Also, Mark Harmon

West Wing spoilers

Wait, the one who turned down performing for the White House?

Yup. He's the current director.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

It sounds like those guys never read The Man Who Bought America

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    It sounds like those guys never read The Man Who Bought America
    :((((

CYpGAPn.png
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I actually haven't!

I've been meaning to order the TPB for that, I've got Winter Soldier and Red Menace already but haven't gotten around to that one

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular

Currently binge-watching West Wing, and I've done the exact same thing every time he was on.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Kilroy wrote: »
    thor always returns to midgard

BtLrrfxCcAA5StX.jpg

incredible-photos-181.jpg

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »

Currently binge-watching West Wing, and I've done the exact same thing every time he was on.

And his name was Casper. If that's not a comic book super-spook name I don't know what is.

Ok

Laughed out loud at a rat queens joke

rq-4-screen-2.jpg?w=470

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I think my favorite one so far has been

Next Issue:
    FUCK!!!

Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I think my favorite one so far has been

Next Issue:
    FUCK!!!

I don't really like too much of the next issue stuff (+5 on attack rolls against guys named dave)

And a lot of the swearing still falls flat for me (whoever's ballsack!)

But if I got my hands cut off

yeah that's pretty close

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    So I have the scoreboard

Me and gg agree on 3/4 topics for today

Now I just have to make him like ninja turtles.

... my time is probably better spent elsewhere

Look, my feelings on the franchise as a whole are entirely neutral
    I certainly don't dislike it! I watched the first movie not long ago and it's still pretty entertaining!
    But I have no interest in either the comics or any of the animated stuff

Specifically regarding the new movie? I've not been impressed by either the people involved or the trailers we've gotten so far and on those grounds I am not going to see it, not on the grounds of it being Turtles-related

I'm really glad other people realize the first film holds up well

I bring this up all the time in the D&D movies thread when people are talking about 80s cartoons and shit.

The first TMNT film is a legitimately good film, never mind a good film based on comic books/cartoons. Other than the soundtrack and gang stylings it doesn't really feel dated.

DarkPrimus on
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    So I have the scoreboard

Me and gg agree on 3/4 topics for today

Now I just have to make him like ninja turtles.

... my time is probably better spent elsewhere

Look, my feelings on the franchise as a whole are entirely neutral
    I certainly don't dislike it! I watched the first movie not long ago and it's still pretty entertaining!
    But I have no interest in either the comics or any of the animated stuff

Specifically regarding the new movie? I've not been impressed by either the people involved or the trailers we've gotten so far and on those grounds I am not going to see it, not on the grounds of it being Turtles-related

I'm really glad other people realize the first film holds up well

I bring this up all the time in the D&D movies thread when people are talking about 80s cartoons and shit.

The first TMNT film is a legitimately good film, never mind a good film based on comic books/cartoons. Other than the soundtrack and gang stylings it doesn't really feel dated.

It's portrayal of new york is pretty dated as well but yes it holds up remarkably well, especially the jokes

Ok, I'm caught up on Rat Queens

It's a good book.

Whoever said Hannah isn't a great character: yeah, right now she just sort of sucks, but maybe there will be some kind of payoff soon

The second film, which admittedly I haven't watched in a while, definitely doesn't stand up as well. The Turtles hardly use their weapons, instead relying on whatever is at hand to fight their enemies, there's a lot more current (now dated) pop-culture jokes and the whole thing felt very self-aware.

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Stephen Amell said in a Facebook Q&A tonight there's gonna be an awesome Arrow trailer at Comic-Con

I can't wait

Quick TMNT related question

How close to release do movies usually get rated

We have 3 weeks and no rating

Well I'm pretty sure Michael Bay will eat his cock if it's not PG-13 so

why would he eat his own cock

why would he eat his own cock

Because I was going to say that I would eat my cock if it's not rated PG-13 as per forum tradition, but why should I put any skin into Bay's game?

You could eat micheal bays cock maybe?

• FeriluceFeriluce Adrift on the morning star. Aberdeen, WARegistered User regular

Guardians wasn't officially rated until last week iirc. I have to check each weak for the trailer report I send in to my corp office. Some get rated much earlier though, like Boxtrolls has been rated for a month at least and that's not out until later this year.

XBox Live= LordFeriluce
    Steam: Feriluce
    Battle.net: Feriluce#1995
    I'm thinking about the Rock playing Captain Marvel and maybe the upshot of this is they're going to have to embrace this one, right
    There's a real fucking challenge in making something moody and gritty out of a kid who turns into a superhero in a red and gold outfit by yelling SHAZAM

I'm thinking about the Rock playing Captain Marvel and maybe the upshot of this is they're going to have to embrace this one, right
    There's a real fucking challenge in making something moody and gritty out of a kid who turns into a superhero in a red and gold outfit by yelling SHAZAM

I see you haven't met New 52! Shazam!

JusticeLeague_0_TheGroup_013_zps1441011c.jpg

Damn it, DC

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I don;t know anything about the new Shazam book, but that page looks pretty good.

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    New 52 Shazam is fine.

I liked the version Johns wrote in JSA better

But the new one is probably still one of the better parts of the New52

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Guys remember Alan Moore's pitch for twilight of the superheroes and how insane and bad it was

This discussion has been closed.