As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MAHVEL] at the new MCU thread, this one's done!

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    No character is inherently uninteresting.

Writers can be inherently incompetent.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    jdarksun wrote: »
    No flaws makes for an uninteresting dude.

Good job he's secretive, often kinda haughty, possibly a spy when he was an Avenger and always has split loyalties between protecting Wakanda and being a worldwide hero.

Captain America's flaws are pretty negligible as well, amounting to 'kind of a Dudley Do Right' and 'listens to a lot of Glenn Miller'.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    BP's biggest problem is that writers have, with very few exceptions, not really known what to do with him. He doesn't, Chris Priest's run aside, have a bedrock of classic stories to rest on and say look this is who this guy is. Maybe he's a really difficult guy to make work, I dunno.

War Machine. Now that's a boring hero. Iron Man without the drinking problem and winning personality but with a shoulder mounted minigun and also his armour is gun metal grey. Queue a jaw-breaking yawn.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    War Machine is a sidekick

he's basically Iron Man jr.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Yeah, I think the IM movies use him to good effect as another superhero that Stark can bounce off of.

• Options
    edited July 2014

Some characters can give a writer alot more or alot less to work with then others.

shryke on
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Robert Downey Jr. on ‘Iron Man 4′: ‘Why give up the belt?’
    Are we going to get another Iron Man movie?

Marvel Studios has been unequivocal: Yes, someday. They see Tony Stark as being just as evergreen as James Bond. But the unanswered follow-up is: Will a fourth movie be with Robert Downey Jr., the star who helped launch this entire universe of interlocked superhero films?

Everyone is playing coy on that front, but we may find out more this weekend when Marvel starts filling in the blanks on all those untitled movies that have been dated through 2019.

On the set of Avengers: Age of Ultron, EW asked Downey point-blank: Does he want to star in an Iron Man 4?

His answer wasn’t so point-blank. In fact, he starts to sound a little like a Magic 8-Ball as he tries to keep it vague. But the answer I gleaned was: Signs point to yes.

“It’s down to Kevin [Feige, Marvel Studios president] and Ike [Perlmutter, CEO of Marvel Entertainment] and Disney to come to us with what the proposal is, and that’s on us to agree or disagree,” Downey said. “When things are going great, there’s a lot of agreement.”

So far, so good. Each Marvel sequel has outgrossed its predecessor, and Iron Man remains the MVP. And Downey knows it.

“Right now, this has just been swell, hasn’t it?” the actor said with a big smile, during a break in filming on Avengers sequel. “This has been a really good one and it feels good and we’re having a good time.”

If you’re counting, that’s three “goods.” But three isn’t the number that counts most.

Downey was also listed by Forbes this week as the highest-paid actor in the world, having earned $75 million over the past year—mostly from his backend deal for Iron Man 3, the highest-grossing live-action movie of last year at $1.21 billion. (Counting animation, Frozen ended up as No.1 globally with $1.27 billion.)

Until his bosses decide he’s too rich for their blood, Downey says he’s happy to hold on to the iron mask. “It’s that thing of: Why give up the belt when it feels like you can barely get jabbed?” he says—then adds a caveat. “Most people are saying that right when they get knocked out.”

He shrugs, and until Marvel says otherwise, Downey leaves fans with points of ellipses and a grin: “The future is, as usual, uncertain.”

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Whelp, I guess we can expect one of the Phase 3 movies to be Iron Man 4. I'm ok with that because Downey is awesome as Stark.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    What will really blow peoples lids is the Danvers/Rhodey relationship.

• Options
    I know that we are talking about new heroes they could make movies on, but seriously I would love for Black Widow to get her own movie and have Hawkeye in it. Do the whole movie as a spy/espionage type story.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I know that we are talking about new heroes they could make movies on, but seriously I would love for Black Widow to get her own movie and have Hawkeye in it. Do the whole movie as a spy/espionage type story.

There's talks going on and it seems very likely. How well Lucy does in theaters will also probably help.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »
    I just look at Coming to America as a Black Panther prequel.

Which makes James Earl Jones the previous Black Panther.

"No, T'Challa. I am your father."

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    A Black Widow movie would work if it is genuinely a spy movie, and not just say it's one thing when it's actually another (Cap 2 was a good movie but Feige & Co. hella oversold the political thriller angle).

And then you bring in Yelena Belova as her Russian replacement (that could be Strahovski if she's denied Carol), maybe even have Crimson Dynamo, make Jimmy Woo the US spy guy unless he's shown up in the TV show or just make him head of ATLAS, you even bring in Natasha's current lawyer from her new series, it can really work well.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

There's talks going on and it seems very likely. How well Lucy does in theaters will also probably help.

I really hope that's not the case, because Lucy looks like a terrible movie. The premise of "humans only use 10% of their brains but if they use 100% they have magical powers!" has been debunked in the public for the better part of 20 years. Even if the premise made sense, the story looks atrocious based on the previews.

You can get away with Jet Li doing a ridiculous action movie plot because you just want to see him kick ass. People, unfortunately, expect more from Scarlett Johansson as an established dramatic actor, if she's going to be in her own action movie. One way to get around this is to narrow the scope, focus on the story, and let her acting chops carry the movie (a la Liam Neeson and Taken). Instead, they've opted for a crazy "blockbuster" feel with special effects and ridiculous over-the-top action with a terribad plot.

Not a recipe for success.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Black Panther has been ill served by comics named Black Panther, except Christopher Priest's run a while ago. I dunno how someone can look at even an outline of his character and say 'tch boring', though.

King, living embodiment of a god, acrobat, martial artist, genius scientist and very much his own man.

Don't forget Jack Kirby's Black Panther run! That was some amazing comics.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    shryke wrote: »

Some characters can give a writer alot more or alot less to work with then others.

For talented writers that's an opportunity for them to leave their mark on characters. Before Priest Black Panther didn't interest me, and now I'm a big fan of the character.
    War Machine is a sidekick

he's basically Iron Man jr.

That's his role in Iron Man movies. When Rhodey's the star they can define him however they want. An Iron Man piloted by a soldier, that answers to the US military is a movie I'd love to watch. Plenty of fun things to do with a concept like that. Cheadle is a rock star the movies haven't given his due yet. Rhodey's had his own series in comics before, too.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    The problem with Black Panther, what what I've gathered of what I've skimmed off the net, and seeing as he is characterized on EMH, is that it seems like if it came down to saving the entire world, or saving Wakanda, he would let the world burn to keep his homeland safe. Contrast that to Captain America, who I could absolutely see sacrificing the USA if it meant the other 6.7 billion people on the planet lived.

• Options

For talented writers that's an opportunity for them to leave their mark on characters. Before Priest Black Panther didn't interest me, and now I'm a big fan of the character.

That implies it's a blank slate rather then simply a bland slate.

• Options
    It's too bad that Hudlin's run and the marriage of Black Panther and Storm kinda was horrific in how terrible it all was.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited July 2014

That implies it's a blank slate rather then simply a bland slate.

Not a full blank slate, talented writers do that with amazing characters.

edit: The MCU did this with Tony Stark. He's more serious in the comics and a talented businessman.
    Mvrck wrote: »
    The problem with Black Panther, what what I've gathered of what I've skimmed off the net, and seeing as he is characterized on EMH, is that it seems like if it came down to saving the entire world, or saving Wakanda, he would let the world burn to keep his homeland safe. Contrast that to Captain America, who I could absolutely see sacrificing the USA if it meant the other 6.7 billion people on the planet lived.

That's what intrigues me with BP. He's a contrast to Cap and the Avengers in many ways. He follows his own path, like Namor does.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    A Black Widow movie would work if it is genuinely a spy movie, and not just say it's one thing when it's actually another (Cap 2 was a good movie but Feige & Co. hella oversold the political thriller angle).

And then you bring in Yelena Belova as her Russian replacement (that could be Strahovski if she's denied Carol), maybe even have Crimson Dynamo, make Jimmy Woo the US spy guy unless he's shown up in the TV show or just make him head of ATLAS, you even bring in Natasha's current lawyer from her new series, it can really work well.
    I don't know how they would do ATLAS and make it at all recognizable.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod

I see that as less "problem" and more "story opportunity".

That said, just on its face, a black superhero named "Black Panther" seems way blaxploitation to me, especially (unless I'm forgetting someone) being the first black superhero to get his own movie. The character himself may be entirely inoffensive, but that name just seems like baaaaaad optics.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »

That said, just on its face, a black superhero named "Black Panther" seems way blaxploitation to me, especially (unless I'm forgetting someone) being the first black superhero to get his own movie. The character himself may be entirely inoffensive, but that name just seems like baaaaaad optics.

Meteor Man? Blade?

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Blade's basically a black superhero, isn't he?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options

It makes him hard to fit into the current Avenger's/MCU mold though, without turning him into an outright villain.

• Options
    Thirith wrote: »

Blade is a superhero who happens to be black. Nothing about him is specific to a particular race or even gender.

• Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    (that could be Strahovski if she's denied Carol)

Hhahahahah. Sure i like Strahovski and i like Carol Danvers. But both of them merged together on screen, in a film? Yeaaah, no thanks. Strahovski would be a bad choice for Captain Marvel.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular

Meteor Man? Blade?

Hancock?

• Options
    MetalMagusMetalMagus Too Serious Registered User regular
    It helps that there's actually such a thing as a black panther. As opposed to just putting "black" in front of any old noun, like Black Lightning or Black Goliath.

• Options

It makes him hard to fit into the current Avenger's/MCU mold though, without turning him into an outright villain.

Not at all. Have some conflict that threatens the world, including Wakanda. BP helps out. Midway through, it turns out that Wakanda can actually be saved by abandoning the Avengers. It'd just be a variation on the "sacrifice the many to save a few loved ones" trope, and could totally be done in a sympathetic manner.

And it'd be nice showing off more superheroes who are a little more nuanced. Most of the MCU supes are either unambiguously good or unambiguously bad. You have a few, like Black Widow, who have complicated pasts, but when she shows up on the screen, you know which side she's fighting on. Even in Cap2, you never really considered that she was going to suddenly become an antagonist. And then you have... Loki, I guess, but even when he's being good you know he's still a villain.

This is one area where I think Fox's X-Men flicks have the upper hand - you have characters whose motivations sometimes align with heroes, but sometimes don't, and it makes for interesting conflict.

I'm prepared for A:AoU to shake things up a bit with SW and QS.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Blade is a superhero who happens to be black. Nothing about him is specific to a particular race or even gender.

Do they have to go "he's black! He's black!" 20 times in order for it to count as a "black superhero" or something?

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular

Are most of the other superheroes we've got specific to being white, or do they just happen to be white?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options

Meteor Man? Blade?

Forgot about Blade. Probably because Blade feels less like a superhero movie and more like an action-horror movie.

I'm hesitant to count Meteor Man, though. Partly because it was a comedy, partly because it wasn't really a mainstream film, and partly because it was terrible.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    (that could be Strahovski if she's denied Carol)

Hhahahahah. Sure i like Strahovski and i like Carol Danvers. But both of them merged together on screen, in a film? Yeaaah, no thanks. Strahovski would be a bad choice for Captain Marvel.

Why do you say that? She's been my first choice for Carol for a long time.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

Meteor Man? Blade?

Forgot about Blade. Probably because Blade feels less like a superhero movie and more like an action-horror movie.

I'm hesitant to count Meteor Man, though. Partly because it was a comedy, partly because it wasn't really a mainstream film, and partly because it was terrible.

bite your tongue meteor man was amazing

6 year old me knew this for a FACT

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Seriously

There was an entire gang devoted to Slinkies. And the leader had a golden Slinky

At least I'm pretty sure that happened

• Options
    edited July 2014

Do they have to go "he's black! He's black!" 20 times in order for it to count as a "black superhero" or something?

Yes in that I'm drawing a difference between a superhero who just has a race (like Blade) and one who is defined by their race (like Black Panther).

Black Panther isn't just a superhero who is black, he's a character designed for maximum blackness by a couple of white guys in the 1960s. And it shows.

shryke on
  • Options

Not at all. Have some conflict that threatens the world, including Wakanda. BP helps out. Midway through, it turns out that Wakanda can actually be saved by abandoning the Avengers. It'd just be a variation on the "sacrifice the many to save a few loved ones" trope, and could totally be done in a sympathetic manner.

And it'd be nice showing off more superheroes who are a little more nuanced. Most of the MCU supes are either unambiguously good or unambiguously bad. You have a few, like Black Widow, who have complicated pasts, but when she shows up on the screen, you know which side she's fighting on. Even in Cap2, you never really considered that she was going to suddenly become an antagonist. And then you have... Loki, I guess, but even when he's being good you know he's still a villain.

This is one area where I think Fox's X-Men flicks have the upper hand - you have characters whose motivations sometimes align with heroes, but sometimes don't, and it makes for interesting conflict.

And you don't see any potential issues with the idea of the black guy abandoning the team to protect his own interests?

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Hey look a new Guardians poster!

HlQhvMU.jpg

Remember fun?

Oh brilliant
  • Options

And you don't see any potential issues with the idea of the black guy abandoning the team to protect his own interests?

Not really? He wouldn't be the first black guy in the MCU, and every other one has been pretty bad-assed and unambiguously working for the greater good. My only qualm is in giving the first MCU film devoted to a black guy a title that has "Black" in it.

This discussion has been closed.