As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Single Origin, Organic, Genetically Nonengineered food thread [Food Thread]

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Anyone have a good chilli recipe for a chilli noob?

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Post work dinner tonight: Grilled cheese sandwiches with mustard, double shot of brandy in milk with honey heated up in the microwave

I regret nothing.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    What is the taste/cooking difference between ghee and just regular ole butter? I've never bothered to make it/buy it beforehand when making Indian dishes...would the difference be significant enough to radically change the taste?

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    number13 wrote: »
    V1m wrote: »
    That's fine. What kind of a lamb saag can you produce?

Look, let's be honest here. I'm pretty sure I would eat a shoe if Stale cooked it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGcWTIWYDMQ

Your friendly daily reminder that Herzog is insane

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    I have also sworn an oath to myself to never buy instant noodles again.

From now on I make my own terribly unhealthy food.

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    pimento wrote: »

1. put meat, onion, garlic, and a bunch of other delicious things in a big pot
    2. cook for like 8 hours

broken image link
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Fuzz that's just slow cooked meat

to make chili you also gotta do things with beans and whatnot I'm pretty sure

• Options
    Those bits are included in "other delicious things".

broken image link
  • Options
    Those bits are included in "other delicious things".

i wondered about that but then I thought "what kind of maniac cooks beans for 8 hours"

• Options
    Ok bean question time.

I usually get my red kidney beans in a can, because soaking and boiling dried ones sounds like a bunch of effort.

Is there much difference between them?

broken image link
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Ok bean question time.

I usually get my red kidney beans in a can, because soaking and boiling dried ones sounds like a bunch of effort.

Is there much difference between them?

There's some difference in texture but I don't personally think there's a difference in taste.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Goddammit. Are we going to have to do a purge of all the people who put beans in their stew and try to call it chili?

@pimento‌ What can you get for ingredients? Specifically hot peppers and or chili powder?

• Options
    I'm from the group of people that is OK with beans in chili I'm going to eat out of a bowl with a spoon. I am not OK with beans in chili that is going on hot dogs.

Chili on spaghetti is also fine but it's a different type of chili than what comes to mind when I think of a classic chili.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    What is the taste/cooking difference between ghee and just regular ole butter? I've never bothered to make it/buy it beforehand when making Indian dishes...would the difference be significant enough to radically change the taste?

Ghee is clarified butter; just the fat with none of the solids basically. It has a much higher smoke point than butter and a milder butter flavour. There are very few uses of ghee where you couldn't just substitute a good high smoke point vegetable oil instead.

Apart from the many uses in Indian cusine, it also makes really nice roast potatoes. Try a mix of 2/3 ghee & 1/3 sesame oil for a really nice flavour. This works even better with roast parsnips.

• Options
    Goddammit. Are we going to have to do a purge of all the people who put beans in their stew and try to call it chili?

@pimento‌ What can you get for ingredients? Specifically hot peppers and or chili powder?

I put butter beans in my chili and you can't stop me

(butter beans are delicious)

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Philistines.

This is heavy on the chilis, but it's really good. The coffee and chocolate really add to the flavor.
    Ingredients:
    6 anchos
    3 pasilla
    3 guajillos
    4 chiles de arbol
    4 pieces of bacon
    4 pounds of chuck roast, cut into 1/4 inch cubes
    1 large onion diced
    12 cloves of garlic, crushed
    1 cup of brewed coffee
    1 bottle of beer
    2 cups of water
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp clove
    1 tsp allspice
    1 tsp coriander
    2 tsp cayenne
    1 tablespoon cumin
    2 chipotles in adobo
    Salt to taste
    1/4 cup masa harina
    2 tsp dark chocolate powder

Method:
    Heat the dried chiles (anchos, pasillas, guajillos and chiles de arbol) in a dry, cast-iron skillet on medium for a couple of minutes on each side. Turn off the heat and then add enough water to the skillet to cover the chiles, and let them soak for half an hour.

Fry the bacon in a dutch oven. When done, remove from pan and crumble and leave the bacon grease in the pot. You should have enough to brown the beef. In the pot, cook the beef in the bacon grease on medium heat, a few minutes on each side until lightly browned. You will need multiple batches.

Remove the browned beef from the pot and add the onions. Cook on medium until clear. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Put the beef back in the pot, and mix in the coffee, the beer, two cups of water, bacon crumbles and the dry spices. Turn the heat up to high.

Drain the soaked chiles and discard the soaking water and place them in a blender along with the canned chipotle chiles and one cup of fresh water. Puree until nice and smooth and then add the chile puree to the chili pot.

When chili begins to boil, turn heat down to low and let simmer for five hours, stirring occasionally. Taste it every so often, adding spices if you feel the need. And add more liquid if it's too dry.

After five hours. add the chocolate powder. Scoop out 1 cup of broth and add the masa harina. Mix it well and then add it back into the pot. Stir until chili is thickened.

Let the chili simmer for another half hour or so. When done, serve with cheddar, onions and tortillas.

And if you really want chili with beans, I like Grant Achatz' variation.
    3 tablespoons vegetable oil
    3 pounds ground beef chuck
    2 large onions, finely chopped
    1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
    5 garlic cloves, minced
    3 tablespoons pure ancho chile powder
    3 tablespoons pure pasilla chile powder
    3 tablespoons ground cumin
    2 tablespoons ground coriander
    1 tablespoon sugar
    2 teaspoons chopped thyme
    2 teaspoons chopped oregano
    1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    3 cups low-sodium beef broth
    One 15-ounce can pinto beans
    One 14-ounce can diced tomatoes with the juices
    5 chipotle chiles in adobo, seeded and finely chopped
    1 cup tomato sauce
    1/4 cup tomato paste
    1 tablespoon cider vinegar
    Juice of 1 lime
    Salt

In a large, heavy pot or a medium enameled cast-iron casserole, heat the oil.
    Add half of the ground beef and cook over high heat, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until browned, about 5 minutes; transfer to a bowl with a slotted spoon.
    Brown the remaining ground beef.
    Return the first batch of browned beef to the pot.
    Add the onions and pepper to the pot and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the onions are translucent, about 8 minutes.
    Add the garlic, chile powders, cumin, coriander, sugar, thyme, oregano, black pepper and cayenne and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
    Stir in the beef broth, pinto beans, tomatoes, chipotles, tomato sauce, tomato paste and the vinegar.
    Simmer the chili over low heat for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. Add the lime juice, season with salt and serve.

And if you have access to New Mexico green chiles, you could always do a green chili. Do NOT try to make this with anything but New Mexico green chiles (Hatch chiles). It'll be too bland.
    2 teaspoons olive oil
    1/2 pound pork loin -- cut into 1/2-inch chunks and remove all visible fat
    3 small garlic cloves -- finely minced
    1 red onion -- finely chopped

2 tablespoons masa harina
    2 tablespoons cornstarch
    4 tablespoons water

28 oz. New Mexican chiles -- roasted, peeled, seeded, and finely chopped
    2 tablespoons chopped jalapeno pepper
    1 teaspoon cumin
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon white pepper
    2-3/4 cup chicken broth
    2 large fresh tomatoes -- peeled and chopped

In skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Saute pork until all pink is gone (about 5 minutes). Move meat aside and add garlic and onion. As soon as garlic sizzles, stir together with pork. Put into crockpot on high.

In a small bowl, make thickener by adding water to flour and cornstarch. (Add another tablespoon of cornstarch and a tablespoon of water if you prefer a thicker sauce, but wait until later in the cooking to decide if the texture is what you want, or you may accidentally make it too thick.) Add mixture to crockpot.

Add chiles, spices, chicken broth to crockpot. Bring to a low boil, then reduce heat and add tomatoes. Simmer on very low heat, covered, for at least 1 hour (preferably all day).

• Options
    edited July 2014

Here's my go-to. Apologies for the englishisms

Multiply quantites as required:

1 lb beef; I use braising steak, which I think you guys call chuck?. Try and pick a fairly lean piece.
    1/2 lb belly pork, not too fatty
    2 chicken thighs, most but not all of the skin trimmed.

2 red onions, roughly diced
    1 bulb of garlic, split & peeled.
    1 red bell pepper, deseeded and chopped
    1 350g tin of butter beans
    1 400g tin of chopped tomatoes/500ml carton of passata
    Chilies to taste. Really this depends on your heat tolerance and what kind of chilies you are using. I'd advise that it's way easier to add more heat than subtract it.
    1 small bottle of sweet ale (not lager/pilsner)

2 tsp smoked paprika
    3 tsp cumin
    1 tsp cayenne
    1 beef stockpot/stock cube
    1 tbsp vinegar (I actually use cheap-ass "balsamic" vinegar)
    1 tbsp dark sugar, or molasses will do.
    salt
    pepper
    1-2 oz of the darkest chocolate you can obtain. 70% is the minimum worth using. I use 90%. Freeze it.

Peel & smash the garlics. Here's a neat tip for peeling lots of garlic: break up the bulb, put the cloves into the dutch oven or whatever pan you're using, grip the lid on tightly and shake the living jesus out of it for 30 seconds or so, as hard as you're physically able. Look inside: most of the garlic is peeled! That which isn't the skin should be loose.

In your dutch oven or similar heavy pan with a lid, start the onions browning on a low heat in whatever oil.

Dice the meat into chunks. You want largish pieces: the thighs should make 3-4 pieces each, to give you a guide. If the belly pork has rind, remove it. (V1mTip™: Save this rind for grilling/frying into a crispy garnish for the final dish!)

When the onions are a golden and a little dark around the edges, reserve into a dish and brown the meat in 3-4 batches - don't overcrowd the pan. Once the meat is all browned, up the heat and pour in the beer to deglaze. Most of the beer anyway; obviously you'll want to check that's it's worthy of your chili.

Add all the rest of the ingredients except the chocolate and the chilies, stir to combine and bring to a simmer. Put the lid on and pop it into the oven at about 150C and then go do something else for a couple of hours. After that time, stir in the chilies and season as required, and then put it back in at 135C or so with the lid off. Leave it in until you've got sauce which has the richness and thickness you like. Bring it out, grate in the chocolate - and I counsel you here that this is definitely a case of more not equalling better. 1 oz per 2lb of meat is the absolute maximum amount; half that much is fine - stir in and marvel as the gravy takes on a beautiful glossy patina. Dust a very light sprinkle of cumin powder as well - this is purely for aroma.

OK all done! Serve with side dishes of choice. I personally like a big ol' bowl of low-salt tortilla chips and a pot of greek yoghurt (sour cream is too rich for my poor old digestion), and a garnish of some chopped cilantro. However surely we can all agree that only the worst kind of scrub would not have a cold beer or three to hand.

V1m on
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Butter beans are the very pinnacle of the for-bean movement. And I whole heartedly support their inclusion.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I'm going to be making mac & cheese for a potluck tomorrow.

I'm including cheddar, edam, parmesan, and feta.

It will be glorious.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Man, I cannot stand chocolate in chili. There's something about it that just really turns me off. And I like both of those things a ton separately.

I also don't really like chunks of tomato. I love tomato flavored things, tomato sauce, ketchup, and I love raw tomato. Cooked chunks of tomato are not appealing to me. Finely diced or crushed are just fine, but cubes of tomato are not.

Can anyone link me to a good chili recipe without tomato? Not just chunks of tomato, but no sauce or paste or anything. I'm curious to see what one looks like, I've only ever known chili to have tomato components.

jgeis on
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Thanks @Kakodaimonos‌ and @V1m‌! I can get pretty much anything probably, some may require some hunting but if it's worth it I'll make the effort.

pimento on
  • Options
    Oh wait, @Kakodaimonos‌ already gave me one up there. Might try it with the chocolate anyway.

• Options
    The chocolate can be omitted from the first recipe. Especially if you are using a heavier beer and strong coffee.

• Options
    looks like wheat is back to making me bloat like a mofo, assuming I haven't become four months pregnant in the space of an hour.

I can mostly deal, but man, this is gonna make breakfast difficult ... can you make pancakes with, like, acorn flour or something?

... I'm gonna investigate.

• Options
    jgeis wrote: »
    Man, I cannot stand chocolate in chili. There's something about it that just really turns me off. And I like both of those things a ton separately.

I also don't really like chunks of tomato. I love tomato flavored things, tomato sauce, ketchup, and I love raw tomato. Cooked chunks of tomato are not appealing to me. Finely diced or crushed are just fine, but cubes of tomato are not.

Can anyone link me to a good chili recipe without tomato? Not just chunks of tomato, but no sauce or paste or anything. I'm curious to see what one looks like, I've only ever known chili to have tomato components.

Use my recipe with no tomato and more beer. Maybe an extra tbsp of dark sugar.

• Options
    tynic wrote: »
    looks like wheat is back to making me bloat like a mofo, assuming I haven't become four months pregnant in the space of an hour.

I can mostly deal, but man, this is gonna make breakfast difficult ... can you make pancakes with, like, acorn flour or something?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dosa

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    I love me some god damned chilli. at the end of the day, I think I'm just collagen kind of guy.

Buck wheat pancakes are great.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    I made a cannelloni medley.

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    God dang drafts.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dosa

If anyone ever finds themselves strapped for cash and in cheltenham, there's a dosa place there that does the best tasting ones I've ever had anywhere. My Sister and her hubby travelled around the India and the surrounding area for a while and they say it's legit also. Now for the life of me I can't recall it's name -_-. It's near Waitrose though!

• Options

That looks interesting, but for my money you can't beat good ole spinach & ricotta cannelloni.

Sometimes the classics are classic for a reason.

• Options
    SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    I haven't had the chance to make anything new in a while (barbecues excepted) but last week I tried out a gumbo recipe! It's made with chicken and andouille sausage:

rgx899J.jpg?1

xet8c.gif

• Options

That looks interesting, but for my money you can't beat good ole spinach & ricotta cannelloni.

Sometimes the classics are classic for a reason.

True, but I'm only cooking for myself and I figured if it was all the same inside I'd get bored of it.

Of course, now I have leftovers of all of the fillings, but.. anyway.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    i just made mac & cheese.

it's currently in the oven, solidifying.

but I am absolutely stoked beyond belief at how well the cheese sauce came out.

like, smooth and velvety and just cheeeesseeeee

• Options
    My friend and I kept threatening to collaborate on a mac & cheese, and then we did. I had some leftover strong blue cheese in my fridge, so that went in with the sauce and bacon and cayenne chilli powder and.. hopy shiiiiiv it was good.

• Options
    this one has tasty, edam, and parmesan in the cheese sauce, then i cut up some feta to go on top. i'm browning the top cheese up now and i'm debating putting on some crunchy toasted panko on top.

• Options
    Definitely panko. The crunch is good texture.

• Options
    So the vegan ended up not coming last night, so real chilli was made. Changes to my usual recipe were the addition of beer (hobgoblin) and using cuts of meat rather than mince.

Holy fuck balls up until now my chilli has been nothing but child's play.

• Options
    this one has tasty, edam, and parmesan in the cheese sauce, then i cut up some feta to go on top. i'm browning the top cheese up now and i'm debating putting on some crunchy toasted panko on top.

Never don't put crunchy breadcrumbs on top of your macaroni cheese

also very thin slices of tomato

also a dusting of smoked paprika

also a light sprinkle of crunchy sea salt

• Options
    Campy wrote: »
    So the vegan ended up not coming last night, so real chilli was made. Changes to my usual recipe were the addition of beer (hobgoblin) and using cuts of meat rather than mince.

Holy fuck balls up until now my chilli has been nothing but child's play.

Welcome to The Way And The Light, brother.

This discussion has been closed.