As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The DC/Marvel Live Action Thread: GotG Aug 1st

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I don't think that's an official poster is it? It's just a mashup

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    skeldare wrote: »
    [img]http://s9.posti mg.org/8m2ynzw27/Btgl3f_MCMAE2v_Uo.jpg[/img]

This poster and the title of the movie do not align.

what do you mean? the sun is clearly rising

rising sun = dawn

:P

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    They seriously couldn't get all three of them together to do a picture?

Terrible poster for what is increasingly clearly going to be a terrible movie.

3/10 would not bang

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    If you're going to market it with Wonder Woman, just call it Superman: Rise of Justice and be done with it.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

3/10 would not bang

That's pretty clearly a fanmade poster with images we have seen so far.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

3/10 would not bang

That's pretty clearly a fanmade poster with images we have seen so far.

Given this project so far, I'm not sure that's actually as clear as it should be.

I got ten internet bucks says the real poster ends up looking even worse.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I don't know who actually made that poster. It was tweeted by Ed Boon so I decided to just post it.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Btgl3f_MCMAE2v_Uo.jpg

She looks like a kardashian in that pic

Ugh

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Wait, Jeremy Irons is Alfred? Buhhwuh?

*googles*

Oh crap he is. Irons is super entertaining but as the wise old butler taking care or Bruce? Lol? I eagerly hope for a scene where Bruce tries his brooding shit and Alfred slaps the shit out of him, telling him to get over it.

I dunno, maybe I've just never seen the kinder, gentler side of an Irons performance and I'm just being a goose.

Also that poster looks like shit but it reeks of shitty fan job. Then again, Hollywood has churned out stinkers like that before.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I'd be less annoyed at WW's size if it weren't for the fact that she's the same size as seemingly 95% of actresses out there.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Her thighs are all photoshopped swimsuit edition smoothness

She really doesn't unique or heroic to me

• Options
    And while I'm being salty

Superman looks like he's wearing galoshes and batman looks like he has moobs

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    I dunno, maybe I've just never seen the kinder, gentler side of an Irons performance and I'm just being a goose.

He was a big softie in The Lion King. All taking Simba to explore new and exciting places, giving him amazing surprises, consoling him when he's down about Mufasa's death.

Just a big ol pussy cat, he was.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Wait, Jeremy Irons is Alfred? Buhhwuh?

*googles*

Oh crap he is. Irons is super entertaining but as the wise old butler taking care or Bruce? Lol? I eagerly hope for a scene where Bruce tries his brooding shit and Alfred slaps the shit out of him, telling him to get over it.

Also that poster looks like shit but it reeks of shitty fan job. Then again, Hollywood has churned out stinkers like that before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dStZa3xIEDo

I think he can pull it off. :)

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I don't know why DC hates color

batman being grimdark works because he's batman

but there's supposed to be a contrast between him and superman and wonderwoman

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular

no see the dark knight made lots of money and so did man of steel so people don't want to be stimulated by the setting or feel hope or joy they just want to be bludgeoned with cgi and hamfisted morality and dc is going to be better at avengers because they know this

• Options
    edited July 2014

Yeah. I mean, c'mon, Superman is powered by the fucking sun. At this rate the poor guy is gonna end up depowered and hobbling around on a walker due to the sheer amount of grimdark.
    So It Goes wrote: »
    And while I'm being salty

Superman looks like he's wearing galoshes and batman looks like he has moobs

I keep doing double takes at that picture because Superman's skin is so pale and washed out he looks like Bizarro and then I have to remind myself that this isn't a Bizarro Superman movie and then I get a little sad.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Holy shit what if he is bizarro and that's why he screwed up so bad?

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Joolander wrote: »
    Holy shit what if he is bizarro and that's why he screwed up so bad?

Jinkies.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    I wouldn't mind it if they made WW's primary color to be a bright gold + subdued red, to differentiate her from Supe's blue and red. Then make the regular Amazonian mooks wear colors like what's in that SDCC pic.

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014

Because the Dark Knight made a lot of money and Green Lantern didn't. And Green Lantern had a primary colour in its name, so it's obviously primary colours that are at fault.

Dizzy D on
    Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

He was pretty good in Danny, Champion of the World, but that was 25 years ago and he had the advantage of acting at being fatherly with his own son.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    It would be pretty cool if Irons' Alfred is the Earth One version.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    The things people associate with strength have very little to do with it. It's all about back, shoulders, abs, glutes. Biceps are good looking, but they aren't nearly as important to lifting as people think.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Gaddez wrote: »

no see the dark knight made lots of money and so did man of steel so people don't want to be stimulated by the setting or feel hope or joy they just want to be bludgeoned with cgi and hamfisted morality and dc is going to be better at avengers because they know this
    Dizzy D wrote: »

Because the Dark Knight made a lot of money and Green Lantern didn't. And Green Lantern had a primary colour in its name, so it's obviously primary colours that are at fault.

This is why you fail, DC/WB.

edit: However, they are smart enough to not put Loeb in charge of their divisions.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    First image of Wonder Woman

Btf_M09_MIUAAc_X_m.jpg

Okay, slightly contrary opinion.

As bad as the....everything that's going on in this picture.

I really appreciate how much work Gail Gadot has done here.

Like, I don't think everyone realizes it, but Gail Gadot is SUPERMODEL skinny. Like, the skinniest you can be while looking kinda normal and not terrifying.

She bulked up to mediocre Wonder Woman cosplayer.

And considering what she's working with, that's a goddamn accomplishment.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    I would be perfectly fine with someone of Gadot's build beating up villains with her magical goddess powers, or whatever. Helluva lot more plausible than normal-human Black Widow kicking the shit out of everybody, and nobody seems to have a problem with her.

Deplorable-state-of-women-in-Hollywood-skinny-skinny-waif-fu-eat-a-damned-burger, okay, yeah, sure. I'm still cool with her as WW.

Anyway, it makes sense she'd be skinny. How much of an appetite would you have if every food in the universe was varying shades of brown? And as best I can tell, the entire world is on fire, so you have to eat everything flambe.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I would be perfectly fine with someone of Gadot's build beating up villains with her magical goddess powers, or whatever. Helluva lot more plausible than normal-human Black Widow kicking the shit out of everybody, and nobody seems to have a problem with her.

Deplorable-state-of-women-in-Hollywood-skinny-skinny-waif-fu-eat-a-damned-burger, okay, yeah, sure. I'm still cool with her as WW.

Anyway, it makes sense she'd be skinny. How much of an appetite would you have if every food in the universe was varying shades of brown? And as best I can tell, the entire world is on fire, so you have to eat everything flambe.

Johansson's Black Widow isn't a waif, not like Gadot's is.

050312-the-avengers-scarlet-black-widow-lead-3-340-340x450.jpg

Another difference is that Widow is played by award winning actress Scarlet Johansson, Wonder Woman is...not.

• Options
    Wonder Woman was carved out of clay and fights with the magic strength of the amazons.

This is far from the movie's actual problems.

I know nothing about Gal Gadot, so I've no idea how well she'll be in the film, but she looks fine. The costume is good too, the coloring is just dumb.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    To be honest, the bigger problem with Wonder Woman is the fact that she's in the movie at all, considering the conflict and contrast between Superman and Batman should be more than enough to carry an entire film without bazillions of gratuitous guest stars.

Or, to phrase it a different way, that she has to be third bill on an overstuffed flick when WW should have had her own move at least a decade ago.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Wonder Woman is also bigger deal than Black Widow. She has more cultural significance and represents certain values to a lot of people. Not to mention how she'll have a pretty big impact on the future of female superheroes in cinema.

If you can't at least partially address the problem of how women are cast/portrayed in Hollywood with a character who's history is about equality for women and breaking double standards, that's kind of a problem.

• Options
    Wonder Woman is also bigger deal than Black Widow. She has more cultural significance and represents certain values to a lot of people. Not to mention how she'll have a pretty big impact on the future of female superheroes in cinema.

If you can't at least partially address the problem of how women are cast/portrayed in Hollywood with a character who's history is about equality for women and breaking double standards, that's kind of a problem.

Let's face it, this movie is being designed by the suits. "Those grimdark Batman movies did well, right? Then Batman v Superman should be grimdark too! Also Marvel threw in a bunch of other heroes, so let's do the same. Better let everyone know years in advance exactly who will be in it so the nerds get all excited. Oh, and make sure Wonder Woman doesn't weigh over 120 pounds... our research and my penis says starlets have to be scrawny."

Though there's hope -- Lucy, which is more or less a superhero movie starring a woman, sold more tickets than anyone was expecting, and without a big-name hero name to boot. A Wonder Woman movie would absolutely work.

• Options
    ILMTitanILMTitan Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    The things people associate with strength have very little to do with it. It's all about back, shoulders, abs, glutes. Biceps are good looking, but they aren't nearly as important to lifting as people think.

The physique of an actor playing a role is part of the visual storytelling. If the audience is supposed to think of a character as strong, that character should look strong, even if our associations with strength is wrong. They should also look strong even if their strength does not come from their muscles. It isn't about what is logical in the universe, it is about communicating to the audience the important features of the character.

ILMTitan on
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    A Wonder Woman movie would absolutely work.
    Just going by the promotional material of BvS and the goddamn concept, I have doubts that DC could put together a WW movie that works.

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Luckily, we should be getting a Ms/Captain Marvel movie soon, so, hopefully that'll give a really solid female superhero to work with.

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Though there's hope -- Lucy, which is more or less a superhero movie starring a woman, sold more tickets than anyone was expecting, and without a big-name hero name to boot. A Wonder Woman movie would absolutely work.

I'm wagering that Lucy sold tickets because 1) Black Widow and 2) Johanssen is a hot property now and 3) she's just hot, full-stop.

I mean, look at that Black Widow pic up there. She is liquid sex poured into a catsuit.

"Hey audience, do you want to look at a smoking-hot babe for 90 minutes while special effects and kung-fu happen in the background?"

• Options
    InkSplat wrote: »
    Luckily, we should be getting a Ms/Captain Marvel movie soon, so, hopefully that'll give a really solid female superhero to work with.

That Black Widow movie would be here sooner if Johansson hadn't got pregnent. :)

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Perhaps the bigger problem with Batman v. Superman is that, to the non comics-reading public, Batman and Superman are both "good guys" so why are they, as my wife put it, " v.ing each other?"

Shit, I'm familiar with pretty much all the relevant storylines and I couldn't really give a good answer, other than paraphrasing that there was one very famous story that set them on opposite sides, and DC has been trying to recapture that ever since.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Perhaps the bigger problem with Batman v. Superman is that, to the non comics-reading public, Batman and Superman are both "good guys" so why are they, as my wife put it, " v.ing each other?"

Shit, I'm familiar with pretty much all the relevant storylines and I couldn't really give a good answer, other than paraphrasing that there was one very famous story that set them on opposite sides, and DC has been trying to recapture that ever since.

The answer for the 90s animated series was "they're at cross purposes on how to stop Joker," which worked really freaking well. Then again the fight scene between the two lasted for literally 10 seconds, so there was no chance modern Hollywood would have done it like that story.

Edit: Hell, I'll just post the conflict. Tense, understated and completely dictated by their characters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F90nxOlsm1s

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Absolutely no problem with her appearance and the texture and shape of her costume.

I'm just worried that the colour palette thus far on display is setting the tone.

This discussion has been closed.