As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Australian & NZ Politics] Thanks, Shorten.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    True, but the Newman government got in with ridiculously high margins. I am pretty sure that they could sustain a swing of that magnitude.

They won something like 78 of the 80 seats when they were elected.

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Yeah, but apparently Newman is going to get turfed out of his own seat by a pretty significant margin, so even if it continues to be a Liberal government, it won't be a Newman one.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/scott-morrison-backflips-and-grants-visa-to-boy-who-arrived-by-boat-20140721-3cbju.html

That 15 year old who was being denied a permanent visa due to the immigration minister being an arsehole got one when the minister caved under pressure.

Which has opened up a huge can of worms for his whole hardline stance.

I hope it brings the whole stinking mess down.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Tony Abbot as the voice of reason... I think I need to lie down.

In complete fairness I have no problem with the threshold for the deficit levy being brought down, I just think they're utter weasels for trying to claim it's not a tax.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Well, they sort of need to. The moment they admit it's a tax is when they admit they lied their asses off during the election.

I mean, everyone knows they did, and they know they did, and they know everyone knows they did, but they haven't yet actually admitted it.

• Options
    I never understood that logic, at-least if their honest about it being a tax they can spin it as an honest mistake. Whereas claiming it's not a tax just reinforces the fact they flat out lied.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    The problem is the amount of 'levies', excises', 'tariffs' and whatever else they want to call them that they want implemented shows it wasn't an 'honest mistake'. If it was an 'honest mistake', it means they had no grasp of the countries economy at all before or during the election. Considering how much they pushed the budget 'crisis' during the election, that again would be a flat out lie.

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Ah but the "we had no idea it was this bad" is the narrative that they use in response.

To which the correct response is "you are either a liar or incompetent. Also you doubled the debt in like 6 months."

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    plufim wrote: »
    Ah but the "we had no idea it was this bad" is the narrative that they use in response.

To which the correct response is "you are either a liar or incompetent. Also you doubled the debt in like 6 months."

holy shit that's gotta be a record

• Options
    Yeah but they had to.

Because Labor, or something.

They totally didn't have to.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    -Loki- wrote: »
    The problem is the amount of 'levies', excises', 'tariffs' and whatever else they want to call them that they want implemented shows it wasn't an 'honest mistake'. If it was an 'honest mistake', it means they had no grasp of the countries economy at all before or during the election.

I would have no trouble believing that. :)

Edit: Seems Nitschke has had his medical license suspended. Which I consider a relief, no matter what your opinion on Euthanasia (and I support it's availability in terminal cases.) the guy's behaviour is unacceptable.

Road Block on
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/550928/government_pushes_website_blocks_fight_piracy/

Leaked (of course) paper details intentions to clamp down on piracy, via a revival of the internet filter to censor copyright violators, explicitly forcing ISPs to police copyrighted content in order to overturn the iiNet court decision from some years back, and attempts to tie this to trade treaties, online crime, and protection of children.

This kind of thing is why Brandis scares the shit out of me. Because this is very likely to get through, unlike Labor's attempt.

• Options
    Brandis is on a roll.

http://www.thesaturdaypaper.com.au/news/politics/2014/07/26/brandis-ties-ngo-funding-non-advocacy/1406296800#.U9MD5o2SxH1

Designed to cripple charities that dare to criticize government policy.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    yikes

I'm not a great big fan of pirating myself (I do it myself occasionally if I'm unsure I'll like a game and they don't have a demo)

but that's a nasty bit of copyright law he's attempting to create.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Suriko wrote: »
    http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/550928/government_pushes_website_blocks_fight_piracy/

Leaked (of course) paper details intentions to clamp down on piracy, via a revival of the internet filter to censor copyright violators, explicitly forcing ISPs to police copyrighted content in order to overturn the iiNet court decision from some years back, and attempts to tie this to trade treaties, online crime, and protection of children.

This kind of thing is why Brandis scares the shit out of me. Because this is very likely to get through, unlike Labor's attempt.

Burn it all down

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Brandis is on a roll.

http://www.thesaturdaypaper.com.au/news/politics/2014/07/26/brandis-ties-ngo-funding-non-advocacy/1406296800#.U9MD5o2SxH1

Oh for fucks sake.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    Hey hey hey, did you hear about the new Work for the Dole policy?

It'll come down to what is defined as 'looking for up to 40 jobs', if that's 40 job applications or 40 interviews... but having to do the equivalent to half time employment in community service is also quite a bit if people are supposed to be 'working' full time on finding a job...

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Brandis is on a roll.

A while back a friend and colleague offered me some volunteer work researching NGOs' and charities' funding into purely advocacy-based work (and their disclosure thereof). I'm not one to turn down interesting work so I put in for a few weeks. But then I started to feel like something was wrong.

I can understand the criticism these people I was working for had: from a certain point of view (one that I understand but don't share) it's a bit unsettling that organisations can accept tax breaks and funding from the government and then use the savings to criticise the governments' policies, basically to run organisations whose whole work is government advocacy - not the traditional definition of charity.

On the other hand, something about the whole thing seemed...petty? Considering the enormous amounts of corruption and dirty money in lobbying from organisations so rich and slimy they'd laugh at some of these charities' whole operating budgets, I was a little uncomfortable being part of a hatchet job on groups that were fundamentally trying to do good - at least as they saw it. When it seems very possible thar Rupert Murdoch had a hand in the current government's disembowelling of the NBN, I don't see why anyone cares that some do-gooding trouble-making hippies are saving a few crummy dollars while telling the government not to be so shit. Once I managed to put words to my discomfort, I quit that job.

I guess I'm saying all this, because I could tell somewhere in my stomach that what I was doing was going to have larger consequences some day, and I wasn't cool with being a part of it. It's interesting and a little disheartening seeing that for a short time until I got wise, I was riding the same wave that brought this story to shore.

Musicool on
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    Yeah well all this shit made me mad enough that I'm gonna do something. My boss does a lot of community based stuff helping refuges.
    I'm her new sidekick.
    Going to a meeting tonight.
    I don't know what I can do but I know I have a lot of free time and a lot of useful skills and I could be doing something more useful with it than playing video games all day.

• Options
    Takel wrote: »
    Hey hey hey, did you hear about the new Work for the Dole policy?

It'll come down to what is defined as 'looking for up to 40 jobs', if that's 40 job applications or 40 interviews... but having to do the equivalent to half time employment in community service is also quite a bit if people are supposed to be 'working' full time on finding a job...

Going by this, it's 40 applications. Hope businesses like wading through thousands of useless submissions made to meet the quota. Additionally, under 30s have to work 25 hours of work for the dole a week for six months of the year. Oh, and get no dole for six months while doing all this.

War on the Young.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    How does that actually work? I'm not clear, I doubt even the libs would be insane enough to expect people to work for absolutely nothing.

Road Block on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Work for the Dole could work. It could even achieve positive results!

Not in a form anything like this, though.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    As I understand it the original WFD scheme required 12-15 hours a week and resulted in longer waits to gain proper employment. In what fever dream could anyone imagine that doubling the required hours would improve things.

A program focused on training I could see doing some good but even then prove the concept before jumping in.

Road Block on
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Work for the dole is nothing more than a way to bypass minimum wage laws.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Road Block wrote: »
    A program focused on training I could see doing some good but even then prove the concept before jumping in.

It would need to be a fuckload better than Skills For All.

edit: skills for all was supposedly intended to help jobseekers get certificate level training that would help them get employed. the funding per course is just enough to cover a certificate 2. this just led to a metric fuckton of terrible certificate 2 courses being run that JSPs shoved their clients into to cover activity requirements. these courses are basically all terrible anyway, mostly done on the cheap, made even worse by being half full of people with no actual interest in them, have no links to actual employers in any industry at all and provide zero help in actually acquiring employment.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »
    Work for the dole is nothing more than a way to bypass minimum wage laws.

Really its because our prison population isn't big enough so we can't do what Florida does.

• Options
    I could rant extensively about how fucked up JSPs and particularly the ways they're funded are. Also how the disability related one that's the only one to ever actually help me get a job is being shut down. The absurd level of corruption that's led to that decision. How it shutting down in October effectively cut me off from meaningful support a month ago.

I'd rather not put myself in a worse mood than looking for jobs that aren't fucking there already has me in though.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    Work for the dole is weird. If there is work worth doing, you know, maybe like... pay people to do it? Through, like, an employment contract? A job of some form?

Calling it 'work for the dole' is admitting that it's work that doesn't actually need to be done. Well I guess not, as evilbob said it's probably actual work that needs to be done but it's not worth the minimum wage... That said, I reckon the overhead from administering the program must add some weight to the low, low cost of labour.

I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    They should really re-jig it as "Learn for the Dole". Legit training (not the half-arsed bullshit they tried last time) to earn extra dollars, and workplace placement schemes to gain experience and possible job leads. I'm currently studying a Certificate II in Horticulture in an effort towards a job in groundkeeping/landscaping for the local council, and if that counted to get me some Dole money it would be really nice, because currently my girlfriend is supporting me with her fifo job.

• Options
    Wealth inequality might actually be a thing... Imagine that...

I can't imagine work for the dole as being anything other than appeasing the really dyed in the wool conservatives since the tasks that can't be screwed up by a lack of care factor would be the most menial stuff that don't add anything of value to one's work experience

• Options
    Suriko wrote: »
    Largest coal mine in Australia (and possibly the world) greenlit by federal government. Plans include 5 million tons of seabed being dug up and dumped in the Great Barrier Reef marine park.

The thing about this story that really gets me is the paranoid persecution complex and fud that the LNP are spreading about this.

"Greenpeace didn't care when Labor opened a different mine."

Ignoring the fact that different mines are different. Greenpeace certainly did oppose the Alpha mine most vociferously.

This is all in keeping with the complete inability to separate criticism from persecution on behalf of the LNP. They just can't deal.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I can't understand why anybody would dump stuff on the Great Barrier Reef. That thing is 2 food, 1 production, 1 gold and 2 science per tile!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    chrisnl wrote: »
    I can't understand why anybody would dump stuff on the Great Barrier Reef. That thing is 2 food, 1 production, 1 gold and 2 science per tile!

Because 20 turns of 3 production in exchange was deemed worth it. And science? Lol, who needs that?!

• Options
    Science keeps harping on about things that would get in the way of making more money.

Science is clearly out of control and must be stopped!

• Options
  • Options
    Great.

The man trying to fix a statistic doesn't understand statistics.

• Options
    He actually used the word "anecdotal" as the basis for his decision? As in, he is ignoring actual data in favour of what is essentially hearsay? Wow is that sad.

/Considers the possible market for automated bulk job application software

• Options
    Road Block wrote: »
    He actually used the word "anecdotal" as the basis for his decision? As in, he is ignoring actual data in favour of what is essentially hearsay? Wow is that sad.

/Considers the possible market for automated bulk job application software

That seems quite doable. Have a script scrape some job seeking site (or use an existing API), and fire it off with a scheduler a few times a day. The script would take the scraped email address and fire a template email off with resume attached, and append the company, position title, email address, and date to a spreadsheet formatted as the jobseeker diary is, so all that's left is to transcribe the result at the end of the fortnight (and if the diary's doable online, just format the spreadsheet as required for a straight copy+paste).

Kinda tempted to have a go myself.