As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Raid 2 and other, inferior, [MOVIES]

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    What about Eraser?

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Edgar Wright is done with ants, he's going to direct movies about praying mantises now
    This comes via Deadline, which reports that Wright is going to direct Sony’s adaptation of YA novel Grasshopper Jungle. The book was written by Andrew Smith, and it tells the story of a hormonal teenager in Iowa who accidentally unleashes an army of 6-foot-tall praying mantises.

Please tell me he's actually filming in Iowa.

I didn't know this until now but I need to be in an Edgar Wright film.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    So Tarantino's back to doing Hateful Eight.

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    He was back to that a while ago, wasn't he?

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    He should do a sci-fi sometime. Or fantasy. Or a biblical epic.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    He should do a sci-fi sometime. Or fantasy. Or a biblical epic.

He said his movie after Hateful Eight will be sci-fi

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Thanks to this thread I just ordered some DVDs.

Terminator 2, Aliens, Predator, Hot Fuzz and Commando.

My DVD collection just got 300% more actiony and like infinity percent more Arnoldy (I do not have a very big DVD collection)

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Smof that is a very respectable DVD order right there

• Options
    Yessssssss!

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    My LotR extended Blu-Rays arrive tomorrow

I am

pretty excited

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Best action movie is Sidekicks and I will die on this hill I stand upon.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    The Chuck Norris film?

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
  • Options
    I think you mean the Jonathan Brandis movie, but yes, Chuck Norris does show up from time to time

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Whenever I think about what my favorite movies might be, I always go to the ones I can watch over and over without getting tired of them. My memory kind of sucks, so I think because of that I value rewatchability over something that gives a huge impact the first time but you never want to see again afterwards.

I can't ever choose a #1, but the short list is: Die Hard, GalaxyQuest, Hot Fuzz.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I think I missed out on loving Die Hard by watching it too late. I only saw it for the first time a month or two ago. I liked it but I didn't think it was that special, and I don't think I could ever enjoy it as much as someone who first watched it back when it was first released.

Like I think if I saw Predator for the first time now I probably wouldn't love it as much as I do, because that love was originally cemented in my brain when I was 12.

Mind you having said that I only saw Aliens for the first time about a year ago and thought it was tits, so maybe I'm talking rubbish.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    I really think The Raids are pretty strong contenders for great action movies.

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Artreus wrote: »

I haven't seen Raid 2

But the first raid might as well not have characters

Which is a way more important part of action movies than you'd expect

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    I think Edge of Tomorrow could be contender for one of the great action movies, but it needs more time to ferment in my consciousness before I can decide for sure.

• Options
    Artreus wrote: »

I haven't seen Raid 2

But the first raid might as well not have characters

Which is a way more important part of action movies than you'd expect

The story in the first one was totally there enough.

But the second one definitely does have way, way more story

• Options
    MattitudeMattitude Paste Pot Pete Kicking The BucketRegistered User regular
    W
    I by think I missed out on loving Die Hard by watching it too late. I only saw it for the first time a month or two ago. I liked it but I didn't think it was that special, and I don't think I could ever enjoy it as much as someone who first watched it back when it was first released.

Like I think if I saw Predator for the first time now I probably wouldn't love it as much as I do, because that love was originally cemented in my brain when I was 12.

Mind you having said that I only saw Aliens for the first time about a year ago and thought it was tits, so maybe I'm talking rubbish.

I showed my ex, who claims to love action movies, Predator and she was hugely underwhelmed.

She really liked Aliens though.

But the she didn't like Raiders of the Lost Ark, so maybe she just has poor taste.

I got this Tumblr and I don't know how to use it.
    Decide on the next line by the rhyme when I choose it.
    Also I put songs on YouTube
    The musings of this lonely rube.

I made a thread once. It didn't end well for me.
  • Options
    I think 'best action movie' depends on your definition of 'action movie.'

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I think Aliens is the best action movie because not only does it have great action, loads of really quotable lines, fantastic set design with explosions and so on, it's also a really compelling story with good characters that are well acted. Aliens is a smart, suspenseful sci-fi action movie and I think that's what makes it great rather than just good.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Mattitude wrote: »
    But the she didn't like Raiders of the Lost Ark, so maybe she just has poor taste.

This is why she's your ex, right

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    http://io9.com/43-eye-popping-trailer-screenshots-reveal-tons-about-ma-1612283992

Hm. This analysis suggests Max isn't the protagonist, which is probably not true, but that would be interesting

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    http://io9.com/43-eye-popping-trailer-screenshots-reveal-tons-about-ma-1612283992

Hm. This analysis suggests Max isn't the protagonist, which is probably not true, but that would be interesting

Not really sure how you're arriving at that conclusion

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

This is why she's your ex, right

If movie taste were a legitimate indicator of a lady and me working, I would open every OKC message with "How much do you like Blade Runner?"

Because she hated Blade Runner and it wounded me.

• Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    My fiancee lacks a good appreciation for terrible martial arts movies.

It is a constant strain on our relationship.

Though to be fair the limit on number of times I'm allowed to watch Ong Bak is probably a good thing.

Khavall on
  • Options
    Sidekicks has Uncle Iroh. Come on. Come on

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options

Cyborg Arm Lady is rescuing a bunch of damsels in distress and maybe turning them into warrior women?

• Options
    I thought cyborg arm lady was a baddie. I can't remember where I read that, though.

• Options
    Yeah I read that too and was confused because the trailers have not been making her look like one

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited July 2014

Cyborg Arm Lady is rescuing a bunch of damsels in distress and maybe turning them into warrior women?

Charlize Theron is the initial antagonist who captures Mad Max, but she isn't the villain I believe.

Transporter on
  • Options
    i think that analysis is probably spot-on with max's tattoos being some sort of labelling for some crazy slave trade

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    If movie compatibility were more important my wife and I probably wouldn't be married.

I mean, we like some of the same movies but then I'll never forget the day...

the day she turned to me and said 4 words every person should never want to hear...

"I hate Bill Murray."

• Options
    So which girl is Aunty Entity?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Isn't hating Bill Murray a violation of the fundamental laws of the universe?

• Options
    Isn't hating Bill Murray a violation of the fundamental laws of the universe?

It should be!

• Options
    Also, how did we get this deep into a BEST ACTION MOVIE discussion without bringing up The Rock?

The Rock might still be my favorite theater going experience. I love everything about that movie. Nic Cage and his ridiculousness, Sean Connery being all Sean Connery-y, and of course, one of the best sympathetic villains ever in Sgt. Francis X. Hummel as played by Ed Harris!

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I think I missed out on loving Die Hard by watching it too late. I only saw it for the first time a month or two ago. I liked it but I didn't think it was that special, and I don't think I could ever enjoy it as much as someone who first watched it back when it was first released.

This is why I have such an insane fondness for the Mad Max movies

I didn't see a lot of classic action movies until my late teens or early twenties, and while I still totally dig on Predator and Die Hard, they're not my go to

This discussion has been closed.