As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Objective: Defend Convoy to New Space Sim Thread for 5:00 Minutes

• Options
    ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular
    It's now after 8pm in England. I wonder how late they're planning to work?
    Maybe I should expect it tomorrow?

• Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm not going to wait any more. I'll play it tomorrow.

• Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2014

Also changelog

Edit: oh god, it just keeps going

Edit 2: and downloading the update

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    Well alright then.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Downloaded it. Launched it. Looked at Azeban City for 2 glorious minutes. Then the servers crashed. It's to be expected, really.

So now I'm watching Klyka's stream, because why not?

*edit: My god, Klyka, get those combat scenarios unlocked!

Zerocz on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Zerocz wrote: »
    Downloaded it. Launched it. Looked at Azeban City for 2 glorious minutes. Then the servers crashed. It's to be expected, really.

So now I'm watching Klyka's stream, because why not?

*edit: My god, Klyka, get those combat scenarios unlocked!

haha,sorry mate, all my gametime (30+ hours) has been multiplayer XD

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    I wish people would do the minecraft thing and start low, then increase. Worked for them.

There is a mismatch between the alpha funding model "Get in early! Get in cheap!" and the Kickstarter model of "At the Super Beta Backer tier, you get beta access."

Once you are done with your Kickstarter, you can't sell beta access for less than you charged your backers without seeming like a goose.

Yeah, if there wasn't the Kickstarter backer wrath to deal with (because they'd feel they got ripped off if the devs later allowed people beta access for less than the backers paid) then I'm sure they'd do the Mount&Blade/Minecraft model of charging less.

The very first Mount & Blade game felt like a completely different beast than what's taking up my time now. Part of that is mods, part of that is a more robust engine, but for $15, the original Alpha was something that was very much worth the price to goof around with and see how big an army you could get in the incomplete world with only one town, a mine, and a bunch of villages.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    I wish people would do the minecraft thing and start low, then increase. Worked for them.

There is a mismatch between the alpha funding model "Get in early! Get in cheap!" and the Kickstarter model of "At the Super Beta Backer tier, you get beta access."

Once you are done with your Kickstarter, you can't sell beta access for less than you charged your backers without seeming like a goose.

Yeah, if there wasn't the Kickstarter backer wrath to deal with (because they'd feel they got ripped off if the devs later allowed people beta access for less than the backers paid) then I'm sure they'd do the Mount&Blade/Minecraft model of charging less.

The very first Mount & Blade game felt like a completely different beast than what's taking up my time now. Part of that is mods, part of that is a more robust engine, but for $15, the original Alpha was something that was very much worth the price to goof around with and see how big an army you could get in the incomplete world with only one town, a mine, and a bunch of villages.

Same here, but for Minecraft instead of M&B (I didn't play M&B until Warband, and I only like it's multiplayer)

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    I loaded up the Elite beta in Solo mode for a bit. Docked with Azeban City and checked out the services and so forth. I loved going through the docking sequence, matching rotation with the station, locating my pad and coming in on a manual approach. The station feels like an actual station and not a model floating in space that my ship hooks up to.

After checking out the station's interface I got back in space, locked a nearby planet and charged up the frameshift drive. Traveling to a nearby planet is amazing. Managing your ships speed while in frameshift is essential, it takes a moment to stop from 1.25C you know. And even at that incomprehensible speed it will still take a moment to make the trip. Once I was in the neighborhood I brought my speed down enough to make a safe exit from frameshift and got my bearings. Nearby (half a light year I think it was) I discovered a Federal distress signal. I lock in and charge the drives and make a careful approach. It's a Federal Dreadnaught being taken down by a huge gang of small ships. The battle was something to behold. I considered joining a side, but decided against it, and instead made a few high speed passes to get a closer look. The scale and detail of the thing was awesome. And that's really the whole experience in a nutshell so far. Awesome scale and detail in every facet. This feels like space. Ships feel like ships. Stations feel like stations. I think this game is going to lead to some great things.

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    Now I'm feeling bad that I didn't have the faith needed to back Elite at more than a basic level. Given how long I knew Braben had been wanting to make a sequel, the Kickstarter itself seemed half baked.

It wasn't like I hadn't started begging for an Elite KS within minutes of the implications of Double Fine's kickstarter becoming clear to me. I dunno what happened.

If I had known how bloated the scope of Star Citizen would become, then the Elite campaign would have looked merely sane rather than drab.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    If I had known how bloated the scope of Star Citizen would become...
    Not to get nitpicky, but the scope of Star Citizen right is basically just everything Roberts planned on doing anyway, he just didn't expect to get the funding to accomplish all of it before the game was released. CIG didn't see the huge crowdfunding success coming, but they still had plans for most of the extra stuff there were going to make down the road if the game was successful.

Anyway, I feel like Elite got pretty much all the success it was going to get via Kickstarter. Unlike the Wing Commander series, I'd never even heard of the Elite series until E:D popped up as a thing, despite having a definite interest in space sim games. I can't judge what they've put together, but they're in a position to be a space sim alternative to Star Citizen, albeit with a lower budget. If they can build a solid playerbase, they should do fine for quite a while.

• Options
    imperialparadoximperialparadox Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    If I had known how bloated the scope of Star Citizen would become, then the Elite campaign would have looked merely sane rather than drab.

I can't decide if I wish Elite had gotten more funding because it deserves it, or if it was a good thing that it didn't get a bazillion dollars because Frontier seem pretty level-headed in the game's development. The jump between Premium Beta and regular Beta in terms of content was pretty substantial - it honestly surprised me. Now I'm starting to think that the game will indeed launch be the end of the year.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo Network ID: imperialparadox | 3DS FC: 2294-4029-6793
    XBL Gamertag: Paradox3351 | PSN: imperialparadox
  • Options
    In case anyone missed it. Elite quickstart guide:
    http://elite.frontier.co.uk/about/guide/

I'm not sure its 100% correct about the keybindings for hyperjump and supercruice but everything else is solid.

Has anyone played with friends yet, can you group up somehow and make jumps together?

• Options
    Btw they added tons of new graphics effects and improved the ones already in the game.
    The lighting is AMAZING now and the shield effects when being hit are fantastic.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Can everyone please stop talking about Elite? I can't afford it until Thursday. :(

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    So this isn't "space sim" per se, however now I feel like an asshole for complaining in the past about how some space sims totally ditch the cockpit and just have a HUD:

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/07/magic-helmet-for-f-35-ready-for-delivery/
    Using a collection of six high-definition video and infrared cameras on the fighter’s exterior called the Distributed Aperture System (DAS), the display extends vision a full 360 degrees around the aircraft from within the cockpit. The helmet is also equipped with night vision capabilities via an infrared sensor that projects imagery inside the facemask.

Definitely a bit of current era tech that would make a lot of sense in a space fighter.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Taranis wrote: »
    Can everyone please stop talking about Elite? I can't afford it until Thursday. :(

I thought I'd get paid on Thursday too, but it turns out it's today! I know what I'm doing when I get home :D

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    Started up Elite and I'm completely lost and have no idea how to control anything with keyboard and mouse. Haven't even bothered to check if there's a tutorial...

• Options
    LouieLouie Registered User regular
    I'm really enjoying elite. Getting lots of crashes though. I have managed to dock twice and go to hyperspace once!

camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Bubby wrote: »
    Started up Elite and I'm completely lost and have no idea how to control anything with keyboard and mouse. Haven't even bothered to check if there's a tutorial...

Just do it the TOGSolid way. Keep pushing buttons until something happens!

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Louie wrote: »
    I'm really enjoying elite. Getting lots of crashes though. I have managed to dock twice and go to hyperspace once!

Getting out of the starting system helps a lot. Also, sometimes there is just some delay before you can go into cruise/hyperspace. 9 times out of 10, you can just wait it out. If nothing happens after 30 seconds or so, you probably need to exit and rejoin.

Aside from that, the game is great though. It's strange, it's so hard to notice human players. I was assisting some huge Federation ship when I noticed an "AI" not really reacting to my shots. I looked at the name, and it was some strange name that just had to be a player. I finished him off and got a bounty reward, so maybe it was just some randomly named AI that picked a side, I really don't know.

Missions are a little odd. You have to make a round trip to get paid on delivery quests. You would think they could just send an e-mail or something and pay you when you deliver. Along with this, they need to add more information after you deliver the item. I have a station name where I'm supposed to get paid, but I have no idea what system it is in.

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    Ratsult2 wrote: »
    Aside from that, the game is great though. It's strange, it's so hard to notice human players. I was assisting some huge Federation ship when I noticed an "AI" not really reacting to my shots. I looked at the name, and it was some strange name that just had to be a player. I finished him off and got a bounty reward, so maybe it was just some randomly named AI that picked a side, I really don't know.

On your radar other players how up as hollow symbols, while NPCs are solid symbols. A square means the ship has its weapons stowed, while a triangle means that the ship has weapons out.

NPC's do have names, but they repeat a lot. After a while you can identify them by their name as well.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Bubby wrote: »

Just do it the TOGSolid way. Keep pushing buttons until something happens!

That's what I do too. After a few hours I'll go into the options and look at the key bindings to make sure I haven't missed something, but for the most part I like the trial and error method.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options

On your radar other players how up as hollow symbols, while NPCs are solid symbols. A square means the ship has its weapons stowed, while a triangle means that the ship has weapons out.

NPC's do have names, but they repeat a lot. After a while you can identify them by their name as well.

Ahh interesting. Any idea if you get a bounty for killing a player that picked the opposite side as you in a conflict/distress mission?

• Options

Ahh interesting. Any idea if you get a bounty for killing a player that picked the opposite side as you in a conflict/distress mission?

No, they are fair game. I think you get credits for killing them actually.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    I'm almost certain player names get prefixed with CMDR, too.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So this isn't "space sim" per se, however now I feel like an asshole for complaining in the past about how some space sims totally ditch the cockpit and just have a HUD:

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/07/magic-helmet-for-f-35-ready-for-delivery/
    Using a collection of six high-definition video and infrared cameras on the fighter’s exterior called the Distributed Aperture System (DAS), the display extends vision a full 360 degrees around the aircraft from within the cockpit. The helmet is also equipped with night vision capabilities via an infrared sensor that projects imagery inside the facemask.

Definitely a bit of current era tech that would make a lot of sense in a space fighter.

There's a quick few seconds of it but Macross Plus literally implies that this is how Isamu's experimental fighter controls from his perspective.

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Is Elite entirely played online or can you choose an offline mode?

wonderpug on
  • Options

There's a quick few seconds of it but Macross Plus literally implies that this is how Isamu's experimental fighter controls from his perspective.

I thought it was taken one further and the neural interface made the YF-21 literally an extension of his own body. Either way, more experimental (ie unconventional) cockpits would be great in space sims. WW2 in space really appeals to me, but that doesn't mean that the tech should be anywhere near what we have now. Though I can understand why that's how it is in current games.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    wonderpug wrote: »

There's a solo option. I've been playing that while I get the hang of stuff. I'm learning all kinds of interesting things, like don't approach a station's docking gate without authorization to dock. The explosive decompression you experience is your ship getting shot away from around you.

• Options
    wonderpug wrote: »

There is a solo mode, but it's listed in the online section, so I'm sure you have to connect to their servers to play. The combat missions are solo too, but you still have to log in to their servers to play them.

• Options
    Can anyone tell me how big the beta download is? I get paid soon, but my bandwidth doesn't reset until the first.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Can anyone tell me how big the beta download is? I get paid soon, but my bandwidth doesn't reset until the first.

My Elite folder is 2.5GB, no idea if that is how big the download was.

• Options

I thought it was taken one further and the neural interface made the YF-21 literally an extension of his own body. Either way, more experimental (ie unconventional) cockpits would be great in space sims. WW2 in space really appeals to me, but that doesn't mean that the tech should be anywhere near what we have now. Though I can understand why that's how it is in current games.

Yeah, Guld and the YF-21 are linked with a neural interface that feeds directly into his brain. Isamu has a VR helmet that shows him everything and isn't projected onto the windshield. You see it in one of the battles when the enemy fighter's icon is flying over his control panel in his view.

• Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    Some thoughts after a night with the Elite: Dangerous beta:

Flight controls are exactly what I was expecting, and are great. Navigating at relativistic and superluminal speeds is awesome. The HUD and all the little details in the cockpit are wonderful. Space freelancing is still a fun thing to do.

Elite: Dangerous is still a silly name.

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    Yes the name is pretty much the only thing wrong with the game.

• Options
    My experience with Elite today. I fire it up and load my save, I'm docked and in the hangar at Azeban City. I top off the fuel tank, make sure everything is in order and finally I pull up the galaxy map. I note that I'm in an agricultural system. Nearby is Bootis, an industrial system with a Federation government. I figure this would make for a good food run, so I lock Bootis into the navigation computer and then I fill my hold with grain. I clear the station, dump all power to engines and travel out about 8Km, align with Bootis, return my power settings to standard balance, charge the frameshift drives, max out the throttle and make the jump to Bootis. Except I don't get there. I get an interdiction warning instead. I drop out tens of thousands of light seconds away from my destination, with a Sidewinder already firing his pulse lasers. All power to engines and ship systems. I get to jinking, deploy my hardpoints and start heating up my pulse lasers. I rush him and using lateral thrust I flip onto his six and dump a ton of delta V. I dump more power into my guns, I want this fight over. I punch him down and collect a 400Cr bounty. I realign with Bootis and hypercruise in to the system at about 10 times the speed of light at peak speed. I finish my delivery, make a nice profit, save my game and recline back feeling extremely satisfied.

• Options
    Old world monkeyOld world monkey Registered User regular
    So anyone know what features are planned for Elite in the long run? I know they want to do planetary flight and walking around stations / ships. Does anyone know of more than that? Things like crafting, owning stations, factories or even planets, larger ships etc. Just flying around in space figting and trading seems awesome, but I'm afraid I'll quickly lose interest if there isn't any long term goal to plan for. A reason to earn all those space bucks.

I mean in the X-series I could buy factories and even make giant factory complexes with their own tradeships. While I never got that far, just the knowledge that it was possible (and bloody expensive) made trading and earning money more interesting.

• Options
    So anyone know what features are planned for Elite in the long run? I know they want to do planetary flight and walking around stations / ships. Does anyone know of more than that? Things like crafting, owning stations, factories or even planets, larger ships etc. Just flying around in space figting and trading seems awesome, but I'm afraid I'll quickly lose interest if there isn't any long term goal to plan for. A reason to earn all those space bucks.

I mean in the X-series I could buy factories and even make giant factory complexes with their own tradeships. While I never got that far, just the knowledge that it was possible (and bloody expensive) made trading and earning money more interesting.

This right here http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Elite:_Dangerous_FAQ answers pretty much every question :)

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Have we made any moves towards setting up a semi organized PA presence in the Elite beta? There's a friends list now, right? So I'm guessing we should be able to organize a de facto PA guild if that's the case and use one either TS3 or Vent to communicate.

EH28YFo.jpg