As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Moms Against Gaming v. Gaming, Exhibit A: Giant Bomb

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    SA has a really good let's play of all the Mario Party games from the same guys who did that amazing sonic 06 LP

They did 50 turns for 5, the one they all liked the most

It did not go well.

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure they actually killed a child on set in that black and white production of Lord of the Flies, the special effects for Piggy taking a big rock to the dome are suspiciously effective

At the very least they put the fear of god in those kids

I haven't seen a child actor that good since let alone like 10 of them at once

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I want to be in F grade ninja movies.

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Hmm

I don't think I like Rogue Legacy at all.

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyYUbgi0A0o

It's me

I'm the chunky guy talking about "all these ninjas" at the beginning.

• Options
    Diarmuid wrote: »
    Hmm

whaaat

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    "no one can turn down the challenge"

"... are you gonna accept the challenge?"

thenews.jpg
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Whats this about ninjas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpZu69OB2KM

That movie has a goddamn original soundtrack with lyrics and shit, lyrics about fighting ninjas and the value of friendship, that is classy

Hobnail on
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Hmm

I don't know if I disliked it outright, but I got bored of it pretty quickly.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Hmm

It's okay, you're not alone. Though we are probably outnumbered.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Break out your scheduling calendars if you plan on raiding in Destiny.
    Raids are “extremely crafted,” six-player, friends-only gauntlet runs that might best be described as gut-checks. Yes, they will be difficult, and they will absolutely require communication and cooperation. That’s why Bungie isn’t supporting matchmaking for them; the developers don’t want them to be played by disparate groups of strangers. But Smith is quick to point out that they’re not like Strikes – the instanced dungeon-like runs that might take a mere 20-60 minutes – but more like MMO raids in that you’re going to want to buckle up and get comfortable for a couple hours.

“The activity is going to take you and your group of five buddies into a place that you’ve never been,” Smith explains. “A place that you will return to frequently. And [it will] demand of you things you’ve never even really been asked to do in a shooter before.”

• Options
    Ninjer are supreme and you have double crossed it.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    I've tried to run Rogue Legacy on a couple cheap laptops that are good and running indie stuff.

The game always runs at like 10fps.

Not a lot of optimization going on over there I guess.

• Options
    demand of you things you’ve never even really been asked to do in a shooter before
    What does that mean?

Not shooting?

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    demand of you things you’ve never even really been asked to do in a shooter before
    What does that mean?

Not shooting?

Now ladies whip your dick out

whip, whip your dick out

sig.gif
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    What does that mean?

Not shooting?

Does Destiny have a character that heals?

Because if so, that guy could be delegated to stand in the back and not have any fun at all per MMO tradition.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    Raids are “extremely crafted,” six-player, friends-only gauntlet runs that might best be described as gut-checks. Yes, they will be difficult, and they will absolutely require communication and cooperation. That’s why Bungie isn’t supporting matchmaking for them; the developers don’t want them to be played by disparate groups of strangers. But Smith is quick to point out that they’re not like Strikes – the instanced dungeon-like runs that might take a mere 20-60 minutes – but more like MMO raids in that you’re going to want to buckle up and get comfortable for a couple hours.

“The activity is going to take you and your group of five buddies into a place that you’ve never been,” Smith explains. “A place that you will return to frequently. And [it will] demand of you things you’ve never even really been asked to do in a shooter before.”

Six people seems pretty reasonable, at least.

The problem with "raid" content generally isn't that it takes a couple hours, it's getting a significant number of people together all at the same time for a couple hours.

Speaking personally, because I am a borderline antisocial bastard, six might be pushing it a bit. But I can probably see myself doing the raid content at some point with those numbers.

• Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    What does that mean?

Not shooting?

Because if so, that guy could be delegated to stand in the back and not have any fun at all per MMO tradition.

now im not a healer in any mmo i've played because i'm bad at it, like real bad

but i can't imagine that Not Have Fun is a key tenet of being a healer

• Options
    Healing in WoW is way more fun than DPSing, and I primarily DPS in WoW.

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    I did not raid in vanilla wow at all but I had plenty of fun playing a resto shaman in raids later in that game's lifespan

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Just to come back to the Rogue Legacy thing

I think the 'joke' wears out real quickly

Which just left me making runs that often ended up with no real progress

And then I just got bored/annoyed

I'll give it another shot sometime, but it's definitely not something I'm in the mood for right now

Diarmuid on
  • Options
    You're misunderstanding

In large scale old school raids, people would have a healer sit outside of the fight just so that they could start a resurrection chain in case of wipe

They couldn't participate at all, because then they would end up on the threat list

• Options

I'll give it another shot sometime, but it's definitely not something I'm in the mood for right now

...joke?

• Options
    JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    http://infinitelives.net/2014/07/27/on-destiny-and-game-widows/

This is an interesting little piece that made me think about Dota 2, and some of our previous thread discussions on the virtues of pausing.

As people who play games get older, more and more of their time is claimed by real-world responsibilities. I think this means that being able take short breaks (and play in short bursts) is going to become even more important to that swath of the marketplace, and I think pausing is an important part of that.

One of the things the article calls out is that Destiny doesn't allow you to pause (even in situations where no PVP is going on). This makes it notably more difficult to play and progress if you have something outside the game that periodically requires your attention (even for a moment).

For a (mostly) co-op experience like Destiny, I think that a pausing system like (god help me) Dota's would make a TON of sense. Dota has something akin to "democratic pause", which is to say that you can pause the game, but if you're doing so maliciously, or unnecessarily, the other team can overrule you (I believe after a brief, set period of pause time).

So, if you're playing with actual human beings, they can allow you the privilege of pausing while also allowing you to avoid public co-op players interrupting your game with frequent/interminable pauses by "voting down" those pauses when they occur. An even more idealized/customized version for Destiny would be that - if your pause is "voted down" - you are removed from that "world node" and put in your own for the duration of the pause. As soon as you unpause, it returns you to the public matchmaking pool and begins repopulating your world with players.

I think there are some games where a system like this is frankly not feasible (maybe multiplayer shooters, fighting games), and there are others where the lack of pause has a stylistic/tonal component that's important to the game (Dark Souls), but I do think these systems will become increasingly worth exploring as gamers age and stop accepting games that insist on holding you in place for hours-long sessions.

This has been: John Ham's Game Design Minute, with your friend, John Ham

signature.png

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Huntera wrote: »
    What does that mean?

Not shooting?

now im not a healer in any mmo i've played because i'm bad at it, like real bad

but i can't imagine that Not Have Fun is a key tenet of being a healer

I like healing in MMOs :(

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    What does that mean?

Not shooting?

The health regen in Destiny is pretty forgiving

I doubt there'd ever be any need for that kind of thing in the game

Diarmuid on
  • Options

Maybe I'm just bad at it (Read: I am bad at it)

But after a certain point I felt like I was having too many runs where I wasn't accomplishing anything, because I wouldn't end up with enough money to buy any upgrades

• Options

...joke?

Oh, I just meant the random traits of the descendants

• Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    Dota's pause system is able to be instantly overridden

because you can actually pause scum, which is when you're about to be killed you can open the shop and put something in your quick buy and then spam the Purchase Quick Buy key while they unpause on you so that in the instant before you die you can buy your items and lose less / no gold

there's always the 3 second countdown, but anyone can unpause the instant you pause

Aaaand you have a limit on your pauses, i think it's like 5 minutes or something where you can't pause again after doing it once

It's a very elaborate system, but at its core (the Democratic Pause) it's not a bad idea at all

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I expect that raiding in Destiny will be less tank/heal/deeps and more "go do this" or "don't stand in this"

Or possibly even big Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory style junk

THESPOOKY on
    d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    I have never used shaving cream, and I very rarely use water when shaving

I've only ever used electric razors, though
    Well yeah I don't use water with my trimmer either but if you got blades on your skin that shit will hurt without proper lubrication.

I have sensitive skin too so I use a DE safety razor now since disposable razors hurt even with gel or cream.

EDIT: I advocate for everyone to try an old style safety razor now if you normally use disposables and especially over the cartridge razors.

It works out to something like 30 cents a shave for me, which is better than the disposables even since it would often take three or more of them to do my face once. And it's so much more comfortable than any cartridge or disposable I've ever tried, but you know everyone has a different face. And it does take a bit more effort than your average shave but

a bit more effort and three times as long for a shave that's half as good

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »

Maybe I'm just bad at it (Read: I am bad at it)

But after a certain point I felt like I was having too many runs where I wasn't accomplishing anything, because I wouldn't end up with enough money to buy any upgrades

Yeah I just wasn't good enough at Rogue Legacy to have fun with it for very long.

• Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    edited July 2014

boss mechanics??? in a shooter???? doubt they will be fun at all if they're anything like the god awful borderlands "raid bosses"

Zay on
    sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    At least one boss already has "boss mechanics", in a sense.

With the Devil Tank you are supposed to blow up its legs to expose its core to deal a bunch of damage.

And I think that fight could be tightened up a lot and retuned to be shorter.

But the idea is there.

• Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    i'm so glad we're talking about wow so i can link this again

http://wod.wowhead.com/spell=171746#

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    JohnHam wrote: »
    http://infinitelives.net/2014/07/27/on-destiny-and-game-widows/

This is an interesting little piece that made me think about Dota 2, and some of our previous thread discussions on the virtues of pausing.

As people who play games get older, more and more of their time is claimed by real-world responsibilities. I think this means that being able take short breaks (and play in short bursts) is going to become even more important to that swath of the marketplace, and I think pausing is an important part of that.

One of the things the article calls out is that Destiny doesn't allow you to pause (even in situations where no PVP is going on). This makes it notably more difficult to play and progress if you have something outside the game that periodically requires your attention (even for a moment).

For a (mostly) co-op experience like Destiny, I think that a pausing system like (god help me) Dota's would make a TON of sense. Dota has something akin to "democratic pause", which is to say that you can pause the game, but if you're doing so maliciously, or unnecessarily, the other team can overrule you (I believe after a brief, set period of pause time).

So, if you're playing with actual human beings, they can allow you the privilege of pausing while also allowing you to avoid public co-op players interrupting your game with frequent/interminable pauses by "voting down" those pauses when they occur. An even more idealized/customized version for Destiny would be that - if your pause is "voted down" - you are removed from that "world node" and put in your own for the duration of the pause. As soon as you unpause, it returns you to the public matchmaking pool and begins repopulating your world with players.

I think there are some games where a system like this is frankly not feasible (maybe multiplayer shooters, fighting games), and there are others where the lack of pause has a stylistic/tonal component that's important to the game (Dark Souls), but I do think these systems will become increasingly worth exploring as gamers age and stop accepting games that insist on holding you in place for hours-long sessions.

This has been: John Ham's Game Design Minute, with your friend, John Ham
    I don't think a Dota-style pause would work especially because of Destiny's map sizes -- people connected to the same game world may not be anywhere near you and may have no idea who you are. I mean, Jenn's boyfriend was mostly being a jerk. He could have warped to orbit within a couple of minutes in most scenarios -- he might have lost his progress on that mission but the entire column is about how he just. kept. playing. it. so if he has to play a mission again...oh no? Like, I think having a pause or the ability to save and quit quickly is really important (and I'm sure it will become even more important to me whenever I have kids) but....

Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    At least one boss already has "boss mechanics", in a sense.

With the Devil Tank you are supposed to blow up its legs to expose its core to deal a bunch of damage.

And I think that fight could be tightened up a lot and retuned to be shorter.

But the idea is there.

the one you fight as a random event in explore mode is pretty manageable and fun.

Though towards the end of the beta I kinda got used to the devil tank fight in the strike, especially once I figured out you can take off its second worst weapon.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
This discussion has been closed.