As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Moms Against Gaming v. Gaming, Exhibit A: Giant Bomb

• OptyOpty Registered User regular
    For Rogue Legacy I'd suggest taking Hokage (or Ninja or whatever its pre-evolved form is) for the early game because they do a ton of damage (your crit rate is so low at the start that it doesn't matter they can't crit). The difference between one shotting an enemy and not is a massive difference in how much manuvering you need to do to stay alive/avoid taking damage.
    Zay wrote: »
    i'm so glad we're talking about wow so i can link this again

http://wod.wowhead.com/spell=171746#

I wish they'd make a new Moonkin form, the one we have now is literally a decade old model.

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    To be fair, my last raiding experience was in vanilla WoW and touch of Burning Crusade, so they've probably gotten rid of all that stuff and just hand candy to people at this point.

Also I was a paladin and at that point, paladins were barely able to get into raid groups at all because they couldn't heal as well as a priest and they couldn't do damage as well as other classes, and they couldn't tank as well as warriors. So raiding punished me for playing the class I liked the most.

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    I played rogue legacy for a couple hours then stopped and never touched it again

• ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    i just read all the itemization and gear changes in warlords and it sounds neat

and all blizzard had to do to make me interested in warlords again was make, just, the furriest damn thing in a videogame

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    To be fair, my last raiding experience was in vanilla WoW and touch of Burning Crusade, so they've probably gotten rid of all that stuff and just hand candy to people at this point.

Also I was a paladin and at that point, paladins were barely able to get into raid groups at all because they couldn't heal as well as a priest and they couldn't do damage as well as other classes, and they couldn't tank as well as warriors. So raiding punished me for playing the class I liked the most.

Well I mean, we're talking about a game with three classes, and the group size is six

So I don't know how it could be further from your previous experiences if it wanted to be

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Zay wrote: »
    i just read all the itemization and gear changes in warlords and it sounds neat

and all blizzard had to do to make me interested in warlords again was make, just, the furriest damn thing in a videogame

Let me tell you about Freedom Planet

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    seasleepy wrote: »
    JohnHam wrote: »
    http://infinitelives.net/2014/07/27/on-destiny-and-game-widows/

This is an interesting little piece that made me think about Dota 2, and some of our previous thread discussions on the virtues of pausing.

As people who play games get older, more and more of their time is claimed by real-world responsibilities. I think this means that being able take short breaks (and play in short bursts) is going to become even more important to that swath of the marketplace, and I think pausing is an important part of that.

One of the things the article calls out is that Destiny doesn't allow you to pause (even in situations where no PVP is going on). This makes it notably more difficult to play and progress if you have something outside the game that periodically requires your attention (even for a moment).

For a (mostly) co-op experience like Destiny, I think that a pausing system like (god help me) Dota's would make a TON of sense. Dota has something akin to "democratic pause", which is to say that you can pause the game, but if you're doing so maliciously, or unnecessarily, the other team can overrule you (I believe after a brief, set period of pause time).

So, if you're playing with actual human beings, they can allow you the privilege of pausing while also allowing you to avoid public co-op players interrupting your game with frequent/interminable pauses by "voting down" those pauses when they occur. An even more idealized/customized version for Destiny would be that - if your pause is "voted down" - you are removed from that "world node" and put in your own for the duration of the pause. As soon as you unpause, it returns you to the public matchmaking pool and begins repopulating your world with players.

I think there are some games where a system like this is frankly not feasible (maybe multiplayer shooters, fighting games), and there are others where the lack of pause has a stylistic/tonal component that's important to the game (Dark Souls), but I do think these systems will become increasingly worth exploring as gamers age and stop accepting games that insist on holding you in place for hours-long sessions.

This has been: John Ham's Game Design Minute, with your friend, John Ham
    I don't think a Dota-style pause would work especially because of Destiny's map sizes -- people connected to the same game world may not be anywhere near you and may have no idea who you are. I mean, Jenn's boyfriend was mostly being a jerk. He could have warped to orbit within a couple of minutes in most scenarios -- he might have lost his progress on that mission but the entire column is about how he just. kept. playing. it. so if he has to play a mission again...oh no? Like, I think having a pause or the ability to save and quit quickly is really important (and I'm sure it will become even more important to me whenever I have kids) but....

IMO, if you're not close enough to have any effect on another player, that player should just be dropped from the instance you're in, when you pause; they can keep playing and you can pause and you'll both continue to never meet each other. Also, while being able to warp back is a good thing, I guess (it basically amounts to "quit"), it's not nearly as-convenient as a typical pause would be.

That said I agree with you that Jenn's boyfriend was acting like an asshole. When you have out-of-town guests staying with you, you should not be playing a solo game (unless it's something they want to watch you play, or something). It's rude as fuck, and he was acting pretty childish. He wasn't even making real progress; it's all deleted at the end of the beta anyway! Talk to your mom, asshole!

JohnHam on
    signature.png

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Bt0NxSlCcAIxjNB.jpg:large

6F32U1X.png
    I feel like if I played Mario Party with Dan Ryckert in elementary school, it would come to blows.

signature.png

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    You're misunderstanding

In large scale old school raids, people would have a healer sit outside of the fight just so that they could start a resurrection chain in case of wipe

They couldn't participate at all, because then they would end up on the threat list

I liked doing this, it was kind of like watching the 3 stooges only instead of 3 there are 39 of them

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    did someone from here send that Sonic 3D at Epcot email to the Bombcast

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Someone get my a giant bomb sub for my brith day so I can watch that video and Dan playing wow

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Kilroy wrote: »
    Uriel wrote: »
    I have never used shaving cream, and I very rarely use water when shaving

I've only ever used electric razors, though
    Well yeah I don't use water with my trimmer either but if you got blades on your skin that shit will hurt without proper lubrication.

I have sensitive skin too so I use a DE safety razor now since disposable razors hurt even with gel or cream.

EDIT: I advocate for everyone to try an old style safety razor now if you normally use disposables and especially over the cartridge razors.

It works out to something like 30 cents a shave for me, which is better than the disposables even since it would often take three or more of them to do my face once. And it's so much more comfortable than any cartridge or disposable I've ever tried, but you know everyone has a different face. And it does take a bit more effort than your average shave but

a bit more effort and three times as long for a shave that's half as good

you are crazy or just weren't doing it right.

I've never gotten a better shave than with this thing.

• Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    while the pause discussion is interesting on its own merits, Jenn primarily blaming destiny's design instead of, y'know, Ted's behavior, seems pretty silly

Theodore Floosevelt on
    f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I feel like if I played Mario Party with Dan Ryckert in elementary school, it would come to blows.

Actually I think with my group of friends, it would have just resulted in everyone stealing from him exclusively when he tried to tell people who to steal from.

I was that kid who tried to grab your controller and make you pick options you didn't want, so almost certainly

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular

I was that kid who tried to grab your controller and make you pick options you didn't want, so almost certainly

ahhh!!!! the worst kid!!

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Oh jeez, what happened?

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682

boy he shouldn't have done that

now i'm incredibly worried

6F32U1X.png
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Oh jeez, what happened?

I blame video games

- The moms

(Am I doing this right?)

Mr. G wrote: »

Theres no way anyone at GB got let go right after two hires

My guess is something real shitty happened over at gamespot and he's reacting

• KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular

Look we don't care about Alex.

Is Danny ok?!

• ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    oh right gamestop and gamespot aren't the same thing

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
    while the pause discussion is interesting on its own merits, Jenn primarily blaming destiny's design instead of, y'know, Ted's behavior, seems pretty silly

I think the article was a lot about him being sort of an asshole, but also about the gender dynamics at play. Jenn wants to straight up call Ted an asshole but she also empathizes with him (she's done the same things), and her fear about calling him out (and being considered, in essence, a "nag") prevents her from really laying into him. This wouldn't be the perception for a dude who told his girlfriend "hey your family is here how about we turn off the PS4"; the general populous may perceive him as responsible, or helpful, while a woman doing the same thing is a nagging fun-police buzzkill.

Destiny could be designed in a way that allowed one to compartmentalize it more, to experience it in bits and pieces that allows it to mesh neatly into people's complicated lives, but it doesn't! I think it's a valid criticism, and I'm not really worried about this post having a negative effect on sales, or hurting Bungie's feelings, or anything. Destiny is more of a catalyst for the piece than the focus; which, I think, is about how games (often as a marketing strategy) do whatever they can to demand and retain your attention, sometimes to the (in this case, presumably minor) detriment of personal relationships.

signature.png

• CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Khavall wrote: »
    Is Danny ok?!

He went mad with power, like that Albert Schweitzer guy

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    I was playing the Destiny Beta, and I really had to pee so I left the game alone and I died.

And I lost maybe a minute of progress but I didn't have to pee anymore so I was pretty okay with it.

This has been my opinion on pausing in Destiny.

If anyone is safe at GameSpot, it's Danny O'Dwyer

He's the face of that website

6F32U1X.png
    Khavall wrote: »

Look we don't care about Alex.

Is Danny ok?!

Twitter Searching "Gamespot" shows a lot of people talking about a round of layoffs

God I hope so

• DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    I dunno, Gamespot seemed to be getting it's act together recently

Better than what it was post Jeff and co leaving at least

• Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Twitter Searching "Gamespot" shows a lot of people talking about a round of layoffs

God I hope so

This is a pretty shitty attitude to take to a round of layoffs guy!

VRXwDW7.png
    edited July 2014
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »

God I hope so

Multiple people losing their jobs is worse than 1 person losing their job

But someone losing their job just as a result of a round of layoffs is better than the only transwoman on staff being singled out and fired

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png

God I hope so

People were already fired

It's done

I am hoping that the guy I really like following on the site didn't get fired

Guess I suck?

God I hope so

Multiple people losing their jobs is worse than 1 person losing their job

But someone losing their job just as a result of a round of layoffs is better than the only transwoman on staff being singled out and fired

Her tweet specifically says she is leaving with "some colleagues"

• Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    I just just taking the post out of context for humorous value

It's pretty clear what you were going for with the quote

VRXwDW7.png
    My sarcasm detector is so fucking bad

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    There's also a picture on her twitter of a group of people drinking and looking very bummed.

This discussion has been closed.