As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It ain't no Gothic, but it is [Risen Thread]

Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her|Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
edited August 2014 in Games and Technology
logo2xdooc.jpg
Piranha Bytes, the creators of Gothic and Risen, return to their origins with a new, classic RPG. Risen 3: Titan Lords pulls the player in to a hand-crafted role-playing world full of rugged charm where every decision changes the course of the story. Risen 3: Titan Lords is set for release in August 2014 for the Xbox 360 games and entertainment system from Microsoft and for the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system as well as Windows PC.

The key element of the cult Gothic series as well as Risen is the vivid world and the freedom to explore it. The world of Risen 3: Titan Lords will be diverse, authentic and full of life, providing the player with an authentic, classic RPG experience.

So after the lackluster game that was Risen 2, is anyone else playing/buying 3? Let's talk about the Risen series and European RPG's!

Risen 3 review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQLQ3mlkeuM

Turns out it's actually not a bad game this time around. 83% from PCG.
Ship combat 'inspired' by assassins creed, you can swim and turn into a parrot!

ss_137d316c4a93bf8f5485950f369c0aff7b53060a.1920x1080.jpg
461x5y.jpg

Zilla360 on

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Wait this one has ship stuff too?

I was attracted to Risen 2 because I want to be a fantasy pirate and I couldn't find any other games that let me be a fantasy pirate... but I couldn't even stand to make it through the demo.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Yeah, IGN's review shows some of the sailing/ship stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0fp9ZIKDkU

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    I have been giving it a try between naps and work. It sure as hell aint a treeple aye action game under the hood, but it makes the attempt. I think that there is fun to be had if you can forgive the melee whiff mechanic!

That is, if you miss, the enemy dodges back and you leap after it. Makes for some odd fights against giant rats and tropical death birds.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    BluntlyBluntly Registered User regular
    The voice acting is atrocious. And, uh, what's the deal with the "brother" bullshit? I've actually beat the previous two games and they sure weren't siblings back then. I suspect the translation is as shit as the voice acting.

Sigh. Still going to beat this, like every other Piranha Bytes games. But come on.

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I'm guessing the "brother" comes the first Risen's order of monks.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Bluntly wrote: »
    The voice acting is atrocious. And, uh, what's the deal with the "brother" bullshit? I've actually beat the previous two games and they sure weren't siblings back then. I suspect the translation is as shit as the voice acting.

Sigh. Still going to beat this, like every other Piranha Bytes games. But come on.

It's a different character. Though they are at fault a bit by making them look fairly similar.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Gamespot did a really good video showing what Risen 3 is like about mid-way through the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KdxHz8iRhM

I'm about 9 1/2 hours in and really enjoying it, though the wrestling QTE mini-game can go die in a fire. Or maybe I just suck at it...