As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

So, LIFE! (the new tv show)

Chake99Chake99 Registered User regular
edited February 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
LiveTVSeriesCast.jpg

Mandatory wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_(US_TV_series)

Just caught the first episode and it seemed pretty good (on Global, as I don't have NBC being a crazy Canadian). Premise is a cop after being convicted for a crime he didn't commit spends 11 years in prison before being found to be innocent and let out. He's given a large settlement of money, and his job back as a detective.

Except while in prison he is beaten constantly and becomes slightly fucked up as a result.

The first detective scene was sort of bad, but it went uphill after that. It seems they are trying to make a House like cop show, with an eccentric protagonist. And the show succeeds at that.

The scene with
Charlie catching the man his ex-wife married for changing lanes was pretty gold
as was the scene where he tells the man to flush the weed

The part at the end:
where he was in front of the web of names who contributed to framing him (I think...) with the music playing was awesome

And his partner Dani
Rehab is mentioned multiple times... and she freaks out when she gets the coke on her, but alcohol is also connected to her. Which one is it?

So did anyone else like it? I'm probably going to add it to the list of TV shows I'll try to watch, along with Heroes and House.

Hic Rhodus, Hic Salta.
Chake99 on

• Low KeyLow Key Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    It's not out here yet, but it's got Dick Winters in it so me and my dad are probably going to sit down to watch at least the first couple of episodes.

Low Key on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Does he come out of it with HIV and hepatitis C from being anally raped? Because he's a little too pretty to be a top.

Sorry, I'm having a little bit of trouble wrapping my brain how the concept of "wrongful prisonment turned an ordinary fellow into a likable curmudgeon! Oh, he doesn't know what e-mail is... how cute!" could be anything but depressing.

I guess I'm just anal about this sort of thing (no pun intended).

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Low KeyLow Key Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Is he a curmudgeon? I thought he was meant to be fucked up and vengeful and ambivalent to the law.

But loveablely so.

Low Key on
  • Chake99Chake99 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Feral wrote: »
    Does he come out of it with HIV and hepatitis C from being anally raped? Because he's a little too pretty to be a top.

Sorry, I'm having a little bit of trouble wrapping my brain how the concept of "wrongful prisonment turned an ordinary fellow into a likable curmudgeon! Oh, he doesn't know what e-mail is... how cute!" could be anything but depressing.

The character isn't like House in his worldview, only in the eccentricity of his character. He's sort of zen-obsessed, (constantly twisting himself to see things positively, or non-painfully) and he reacts in ways that you wouldn't originally expect.

He was too busy spending time time being beaten (for being a cop) and recovering while in prison to be raped.

The technology stuff is sometimes played well, most of the time though its fucking dumb.

Chake99 on
    Hic Rhodus, Hic Salta.
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Chake99 wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »

The character isn't like House in his worldview, only in the eccentricity of his character. He's sort of zen-obsessed, (constantly twisting himself to see things positively, or non-painfully) and he reacts in ways that you wouldn't originally expect.

Okay, that makes a little more sense then. I think I ran a little too far with the House comparison.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • HybridHybrid South AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Low Key wrote: »
    It's not out here yet, but it's got Dick Winters in it so me and my dad are probably going to sit down to watch at least the first couple of episodes.

This is exactly what I said to myself when I first saw the commercials for it.

I believe it starts next wednesday here after House.

Hybrid on
  • RaakamRaakam Too many years... CanadalandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Well, it's pretty generic. It's not particularly bad, or good I suppose. All these shows kind of blend together and well, it gets kind of boring after a bit. There's already CSIinserteverycityhere, Monk, Psych, Law and Order, etc etc that does this kind of stuff. I tried watching this, but the acting and the dialogue weren't all that great. The music and cinematography were pretty good though. Maybe I'll try watching next week's episode if I remember to.

Raakam on
    My padherder
    they don't it be like it is but it do
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    First episode of Life was good. It felt a little forced but the quality was higher than the majority of television so it wasn't annoying me too much. And I can see how they might need to scramble to make sure people are on the same page since it is the first episode. I'm looking forward to seeing how it develops.

Hoz on
  • AdrenalineAdrenaline Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I liked it, Michael Cudlitz as the kid's convict father was a nice touch, as was Adam Arkin. Damian Lewis was outstanding as is the character Crews himself, but his female partner's story wasn't really believable or that interesting. Same goes with her acting.

Adrenaline on
    I will show you fear in a handful of dust
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Personal favorite scene:
    "Why does the universe make fools of us all?"

"Maybe it's insecure."

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I ended up watching it cause nothing else was on. I liked the main character, might watch it again next week.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Between this and Monk, I like Monk more. There are too many shows where the detectives are geniuses but have lovable quirks.

emnmnme on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I don't really think he's a genius, I just think he's a guy trying to be a detective all the while trying to figure why he got set up and by who. I liked the first episode, hope to see more.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited September 2007
    Preacher wrote: »
    I don't really think he's a genius, I just think he's a guy trying to be a detective all the while trying to figure why he got set up and by who. I liked the first episode, hope to see more.

Well, the setup of the show reminds me of the basic setup of The Pretender - you have the case of the day, but you also have an overarching plot that runs though all the episodes. And when the two intersect, it's always fun.

AngelHedgie on
    edited September 2007
    Hopefully it keeps the level of intelligence the pretender had. As both shows have a very strong lead. I'll have to see more before making any more judgements.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • PiRaTe!!!PiRaTe!!! Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    This is definitely a show that I will continue to watch because the premise is intriguing and Damian Lewis is just awesome.

PiRaTe!!! on
    PiRaTe001.png
    edited September 2007
    PiRaTe!!! wrote: »
    This is definitely a show that I will continue to watch because the premise is intriguing and Damian Lewis is just awesome.

Yeah, he pretty much makes the whole show.

Adrenaline on
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I liked it quite a bit. The zen references were rather well done.

For those reasons I think it's doomed

Senjutsu on
    edited September 2007
    Senjutsu wrote: »

I don't think it was received very well (which kind of surprised me) but maybe it can stick around and get a foothold. There's been 14 episodes shot so we'll know we have that much.

Adrenaline on
  • PiRaTe!!!PiRaTe!!! Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Adrenaline wrote: »

I don't think it was received very well (which kind of surprised me) but maybe it can stick around and get a foothold. There's been 14 episodes shot so we'll know we have that much.

I hope it sticks around. I mean take House for example, it started off with low ratings but over time gained it's audience (almost every single person in the world) and now it is huge. So who knows what will happen.

PiRaTe!!! on
    PiRaTe001.png
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The zen references were rather well done.

I think what really made me appreciate them is his partner telling him to shut up. Having a character reflect my feelings about what he was saying was just the right amount of meta.

Hoz on
  • RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    This show has great potential. There have been a number of surprises in shows this season, and it makes my tivos cry.

I am really, really interested to see where this show is going.

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm attached to his car.

tallgeeze on
  • LiveWireLiveWire Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I might watch this show if only for Capt. Winters

LiveWire on
    edited September 2007
    That's the reason I am watching, I like Damian Lewis, and cop shows so win win.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • LiveWireLiveWire Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    If they could get Ron Livingston in this fucking program I would shit myself in happiness. Damien Lewis and he have awesome chemistry imo.

LiveWire on
  • devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Looks like one to keep an eye on.

devoir on
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Favorite scene was the one at the end:

"You want to drive the tractor, don't you?"

"I kinda do."

Hacksaw on
  • stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Hopefully it keeps the level of intelligence the pretender had. As both shows have a very strong lead. I'll have to see more before making any more judgements.

You know what's funny? While watching the episode, I kept thinking that Michael Weiss would make a much better lead.

stigweard on
    edited September 2007
    stigweard wrote: »

You know what's funny? While watching the episode, I kept thinking that Michael Weiss would make a much better lead.

pssh

Adrenaline on
  • clownfoodclownfood packet pusher in the wallsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I rather enjoyed the first episode of this show, but I wonder if they are going to continue with this "interview the other characters" bit beyond the first episode. I would wager not....but it seemed to be a major part of the first episode.

clownfood on
    photo-4798.jpg?_r=1355437546
  • devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    It's a good, different way of giving background without having to dole it out via flashbacks or in-story character conversations.

Enjoyed it, especially the car subplot.

devoir on
    edited October 2007
    New episode lulz

Adrenaline on
    edited October 2007
    Mmm, cool stuff. I *loved* that they played Gravenhurst a couple times.

Adrenaline on
    edited October 2007
    clownfood wrote: »
    I rather enjoyed the first episode of this show, but I wonder if they are going to continue with this "interview the other characters" bit beyond the first episode. I would wager not....but it seemed to be a major part of the first episode.

It looks like they are, and in doing so, they can introduce other players and more detail about the case. It's actually very well done.

AngelHedgie on
    edited October 2007
    stigweard wrote: »

No he wouldn't sadly, he did a cop film once I had the displeasure of watching. Outside of the Pretender he really lacks the ability to act. I don't know how or why, but that is the way things are.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    clownfood wrote: »

It looks like they are, and in doing so, they can introduce other players and more detail about the case. It's actually very well done.

I agree. It seems they are showing some tv special about his case throughout the season. I like it because it gives you a taste of what may happen next.

The only thing I was pissed about last night's show was the scene with his old partner's wife.

I wish it would have went like this:
    "No one would ride with my husband for 4 years."
    "That sucks. I spent 12 years in jail for a crime I didn't commit. I think I win."

That scene in the garage was tense. I was ready for some shit to go down.

tallgeeze on
    edited October 2007
    tallgeeze wrote: »
    The only thing I was pissed about last night's show was the scene with his old partner's wife.

I wish it would have went like this:
    "No one would ride with my husband for 4 years."
    "That sucks. I spent 12 years in jail for a crime I didn't commit. I think I win."

But her point was that yes, he was falsely imprisoned, but he was also compensated. Her family was put through hell, and they got nothing for it. I'm not saying she's right, but I do understand how she was viewing it.

AngelHedgie on
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, but she's seeing the end result of what happened IE he got out and got a lot of money for it. If he didn't get out he'd still be in jail for the rest of his life while his partner would have just had a tough spot for some time.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited October 2007
    So, let's discuss the Conspiracy Wall.
    So, here's what's been added:
    • The lead detective removed the daughter from the police report, saying that she was at a sleepover.
    • Whether or not his partner was part of the scheme or played like a patsy has become muddier.
    Some more points to be made about the lead detective (who we're going to get to see meet Charlie next week):
    • His behavior reminds me of the Swift Boat Vets, who were so adamant even in the face of evidence contradicting them. This leads me to believe that he has to believe in Charlie's guilt for his own sake.
    • In that light, it would explain why he had issues with alcohol at the end of the case, and why he took retirement when it was all over - the cognitive dissonance was tearing him apart. And with Charlie exonerated, it's come back to haunt him.

What do you think?

AngelHedgie on