As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Landmark] is gone and all we have are memories (and screenshots)

KylindraKylindra Registered User regular
edited July 2017 in MMO Extravaganza
Landmark was a cool idea from a struggling company that never really had a chance. Here's the shutdown announcement:

https://www.landmarkthegame.com/news/important-news-about-landmark-2017

"To the Landmark community,

With heavy hearts, we are writing today to inform you that after much review, we have decided to close Landmark game servers on February 21, 2017.

Since Landmark first entered Alpha, we have been impressed by the creative talents in this community. You pushed the boundaries of what Landmark could do, and we are grateful for the time and energy you shared through your creations in this game.

While there is still time to enjoy Lumeria and the many worlds you’ve built within Landmark, we wanted to let you know what you will be seeing happen between now and February. Beginning today, Player Studio items will no longer be available for listing or for purchase in the Landmark Marketplace. Landmark will also no longer be available for purchase. All items in the Marketplace with a Daybreak Cash price will have their price reduced to 1 DBC.

The game servers, as well as the accompanying forums and social media channels, will be closed at 4:00PM Pacific Time on Tuesday, February 21, 2017.

We want to thank each and every one of you for your creative contributions to Landmark.

Daybreak Game Company"

RIP Landmark. It was fun while it lasted.

Kylindra on

• KylindraKylindra Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Summary of Big Wipe Update

Resources:
    • Basic tier 1 resources are now free, you don't need to mine them at all to build with them. This includes dirt, stone, sand, ice, snow.
    • Composite items such as metal alloys and plastics are now crafted from component items (refined resources like smelted copper)
    • Crafting stations have been consolidated
    • Upgrading and salvaging have been removed
    • Item mods are no longer linked to the upgrading system and have been improved

Achievements:
    • You will gain your building tools as well as other useful items including starter home templates, cave sounder, and starting pulverizer via achievements
    • Recipes can now be tracked through the journal, replacing the recipe tracker
    • Recipes can be flagged for tracking in the journal or via the ‘watch’ button on the crafting stations.
    • Combat progression achievements reward character stats

Continent Changes
    • New biomes: deciduous surface, deciduous cavern, volcanic surface, volcanic cavern. Also new flora for underwater biome.
    • Continents are all new, and have brand new names
    • Surface caves are back, and can be claimed (surface caves only)
    • Underground cave networks are longer than previously
    • Combat NPCs no longer on the surface (except fungi)
    • Lower layer enemies are tougher
    • Caves are darker
    • More ruins have been added
    • Bedrock will now prevent you from digging too far towards the outside of the continent in directions in which there are no more caves

Claim Limit Changes
    • Existing players (who played prior to the wipe update) will be granted expansion slots so they start with 2 base and 8 attachment claims exactly as they have now. (The expansion slots are inventory items you consume.)
    • New players who join Landmark after the wipe will start with 1 base and 3 attachment claims
    • It will be possible to expand up to 8 base and 24 attachment claims

Other:
    • Large humans are now available to play! Simply choose large human in the drop-down on character create.
    • The cooldown has been removed from teleporting to friends through the contact list, and from teleporting to claims through the gallery.
    • The Stone of Recall no longer has a cooldown.
    • You can no longer place material blocks outside claims.
    • Leyline crystals can now be found on the surface as well as in caves. Once discovered, they can be teleported to using the Local Travel option at a portal spire.
    • New characters no longer begin with starter templates filling up their templates window; instead these can be crafted for free on the forge as needed.
    • All humans, large or small, now have underwear underneath their regular outfits.

Kylindra on
  • ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    My wife is going to LOVE this. Her favorite thing to do in ANY mmo was to customize the super group base in CoH and this looks like it might scratch that itch. She is also a loot whore and digging for gold might get me laid a lot more. I like this game already.

• naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    So I hear you like customizable PvP maps?

I'm gonna make one with the biggest pillar in the middle to LOS the ranged casters.

• eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I haven't played any of Landmark in a while despite buying a founders pack and dicking around in Alpha. Watching the keynote from this years SOE Live has me wanting to patch it and actually start getting into it.

(She/Her)
    After looking at some videos I am going to love this as well. This looks fantastic.

Shawnasee wrote: »
    After looking at some videos I am going to love this as well. This looks fantastic.

It's pretty fun already, and has a LOT of potential as they continue development. Even now though, just messing around with exploring and building is a lot fun. I've literally gotten lost in caves, going deeper and deeper until I have no idea which way is out (fortunately teleporting back home is an option). I've also spent hours perfecting my cabin. I love that I'm not even good at this sort of thing and my stuff still ends up looking pretty nice. Like, it's clear that I'm not on the level of the folks who are basically making art with these tools, but I like my cabin a lot anyway:

lqotTKM.jpg

I currently have no tools. Accidentally deleted my add tool when deleting some duplicate tools I ended up with not realizing I only had one add tool still. Tried using the chest at the portal spire to get them back, wouldn't work, so I deleted all my tools and the chest still claims I am not missing any building tools. So I have a claim I can't do anything with currently.

(She/Her)
    eelektrik wrote: »
    I currently have no tools. Accidentally deleted my add tool when deleting some duplicate tools I ended up with not realizing I only had one add tool still. Tried using the chest at the portal spire to get them back, wouldn't work, so I deleted all my tools and the chest still claims I am not missing any building tools. So I have a claim I can't do anything with currently.

Yikes! I would both /bug report that and then also ask on the forums for help. :(

edited August 2014
    I guess until that is fixed I will go mining and upgrading picks and such.

Which server are PAers putting their claims on mainly? Or does it matter? Also name is eelektrik in game as well, so I'd like an invite to the guild at some point.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
    I applied to get into the alpha/beta but I also told my wife what I wanted for my birthday, we'll see if she says I can get it early.

I think these are just the 7-day access keys, but I saw on reddit that mmorpg.com is giving away Landmark beta keys to people who make an account on their website. So if you want to try it out that might be an option.

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    This is pretty neat! Tin seems hard to find on the surface, even on T2 islands.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
    This is pretty neat! Tin seems hard to find on the surface, even on T2 islands.

There are certain minerals only found in caves. Tin is one of those, I think.

Cave-finding tip someone mentioned in the old thread: go to your map and hit Show Claimable Land. Red spots that aren't the squares around claims are caves.

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Yeah that was my solution. I did end up finding a very few tin veins above ground, but inside caves in a T2 area it's rather plentiful.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
    I seem to have issues with the game crashing when loading a new zone sometimes. Sent a bug report on my lack of tools as well. Is there a way to mail my resources to another character? I could just make a new character and get my tools back that way I guess since I haven't done much yet anyway.

(She/Her)
    I seem to have issues with the game crashing when loading a new zone sometimes. Sent a bug report on my lack of tools as well. Is there a way to mail my resources to another character? I could just make a new character and get my tools back that way I guess since I haven't done much yet anyway.

No, but you could dump the resources with someone else and then delete your character to make a new one.

Depending on how much stuff you have, I could try to put down some chests or something for you to put it in, which you could then get back later.

• DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular

Can't you craft tools on the workbench? I could have sworn thats where most of mine came from. Maybe check there and see if its an option?

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • DeansDeans Registered User regular
    Decomposey wrote: »

Can't you craft tools on the workbench? I could have sworn thats where most of mine came from. Maybe check there and see if its an option?

I think last time I played you could craft the default tools on the public forge at the warp things with a bit of dirt

edited August 2014
    Deans wrote: »
    Decomposey wrote: »

I think last time I played you could craft the default tools on the public forge at the warp things with a bit of dirt

They took that out. Instead there is now a chest that when you click on it will give you anything you're missing. Only it didn't work this time, which is a bug. :(

@eeelektrik I put your stuff in a chest on my claim. I didn't want to just mail it back in case of character deletion weirdness, so look me up on Serenity-Lowland, NW of spawn in the snow. I have a screenshot http://imgur.com/oKQSu0R that shows where I am on the map. If your new name is the same as your old one, you should have the permissions you need to access the chest, let me know if it didn't work or if you need anything else. Grab some free stuff from the basement chests while you're at it, we have extra supplies. :)

Kylindra on
    I recreated a character with the same name. Got all my tools back when placing a claim again, so I am good to go.

(She/Her)
  • TolerantZeroTolerantZero Registered User regular
    Which server are PAers putting their claims on mainly? Or does it matter?

You're free to move in-between servers whenever you want, but I have my claim on Serenity. Once Claims 2.0 comes out, we can try having a guild-wide claim we can all build around.

Steam | Raptr | 3DS - 2552-2106-0321
    Hey, if you missed any of the news coming out of SOELive and discussions since then, there's a wrap-up thread on the official forums:

https://forums.station.sony.com/landmark/index.php?threads/week-end-wrap-up-august-22.46666/

There's also a link to a spoiler thread for the new EQWorlds app quest. I did the EQWorlds quest to get the Lunar Anklet a little while back, it was a huge pain the ass. I will probably try this new one at some point but I'm not looking forward to reinstalling the damn thing.

What kind of developer makes a mobile app with no option to exit it?

Woo, combat is here!

https://forums.station.sony.com/landmark/index.php?forums/update-notes.68/
    https://forums.station.sony.com/landmark/index.php?threads/pvp-game-tables-and-you.46860/

Highlights:

-Combat! Specifically, PvP!
    -Movement items on claims! Teleporters, flingers, and launchers.

Also of note, the blueprint has been updated!

https://forums.station.sony.com/landmark/index.php?threads/the-new-improved-blueprint-updated-8-27-14.34413/

For those of you with graphics/performance issues, they contain this item of interest:

"We're putting a huge focus on optimizations this month. Framerate and memory concerns need to die. Our plan is to make big progress on this in the next weeks."

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Edit: Aaaand I remembered why I stopped faffing about in this game

I log in, realize I have to re-farm hundreds of thousands of stone and rebuild all my crafting stations because the game nukes everything you own if you take a week break

override367 on
    Edit: Aaaand I remembered why I stopped faffing about in this game

I log in, realize I have to re-farm hundreds of thousands of stone and rebuild all my crafting stations because the game nukes everything you own if you take a week break

It doesn't nuke it. It sends it to you in a mail or puts it into an overflow inventory.

And they've upped the time to 2 weeks. So you don't have to worry as much about losing your claim any more.

Yeah, I've lost my claim three times now through my own inability to pay virtual rent on time, but I've never lost an item to it. The overflow inventory warns you that stuff there will only last a little while, but from what I've seen it's lieing. Because the thistle trees I was using in a build like three months ago are still hanging around in there.

To find the overflow tab, open your inventory. At the top of the inventory window there are three tabs. One will look like a bag, that's your inventory. One will like like a grid, that's your materials inventory. And one will look like a clock, that's your overflow inventory. Just drag and drop anything from there into the other tabs, and all your stuff is back.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I have no overflow inventory or mail, all the stuff in my claim is just gone, including stuff I bought with station cash

I assume you only have like a week or something to grab it

override367 on
    I have no overflow inventory or mail, all the stuff in my claim is just gone, including stuff I bought with station cash

I assume you only have like a week or something to grab it

Not as far as I know. Have you tried contacting customer support? They're pretty good with that stuff.

Yeah, it IS a beta, so it's a very real possibility that it was a bug. Which needs to be reported so they can fix it. This is the part of the game where you really DO need to complain as much as possible to make the game better for everyone.

Minor patch today! Mostly fixes/additions to pvp, but also adding cloth and ropes:

https://forums.station.sony.com/landmark/index.php?threads/update-notes-9-4-14.47632/

They are sending out codes for beta access to celebrate the release of pvp...I'm downloading right now.

So if you haven't had access but signed up to get in invitation: check yo mail.

Double posting,sorry.

Claims seem to be smaller than I thought. I just saw that you can make some attachable claims so I'll drop those to up the size.

When making a tall structure, how does one climb a vertical surface? Are you required to use the grappling hook? Does the grappling hook even work when building or is it just used when spelunking?

Those with the fancy founder pick-axe: is it a tool that outclasses what you can make? What tier does it take you to?

• TolerantZeroTolerantZero Registered User regular
    You can build while grappling; it's pretty much needed unless you want to put platforms on your building, grapple to those and then stand on them while you're building. It'll cost more time and resources that way but it'll probably make it easier for you.

Steam | Raptr | 3DS - 2552-2106-0321
  • kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Double posting,sorry.

Claims seem to be smaller than I thought. I just saw that you can make some attachable claims so I'll drop those to up the size.

When making a tall structure, how does one climb a vertical surface? Are you required to use the grappling hook? Does the grappling hook even work when building or is it just used when spelunking?

Those with the fancy founder pick-axe: is it a tool that outclasses what you can make? What tier does it take you to?

What I typically did was the old fashion way of making scaffolding. Just a few platforms here and there where I can work from a stable vantage point. Grappling works but the camera angles can get wonky when doing it and I usually found it better just to make a disposable scaffolding of platforms to do all the work I wanted to then just delete them when done.

Resource costs for the scaffolding usually is minimal just build them out of whatever you are not building everything else with. I one time made some scaffolding out of mithril hehe.

Scaffolding is not something I had thought of...which I probably should not admit.

I was running around looking for Gnarled Root yesterday and I came across a claim that had a clear globe of water which you could enter and swim around. Another atrium looking structure was made of glass and the door to get in was made of water.

Um, that's amazing...

Also, there is a patch

There is indeed a patch! Notes here:

https://forums.station.sony.com/landmark/index.php?threads/update-notes-9-10-14.47931/

Highlights: chain props, bathroom props, modular tree props (treehouse time!), and lots of misc. fixes and polishing, including a bit of optimization started.

question about props and such: do you have to pay for those things? Like, real moneys?

question about props and such: do you have to pay for those things? Like, real moneys?

Nope, they are crafted using gathered materials. You CAN buy them with real money, though, if you're super impatient. But I can't imagine doing so, they are not that hard to make.

So things like bathtubs and chairs you make? What about lighting?

One of the first things you craft, using the crafting machines at the spire, is your very own crafting workbench. From here you can bring up a list of props, including furniture, plants, trees, food items, and yes, even lighting, Once you bring up the recipe it will list what materials are needed to make it, and you go gather those material, or already have them on hand. Once you have them you bring up the recipe, and click craft, and then that prop is now in your inventory to be placed on your claim.