As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ferguson

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Anchorman-well-that-escalated-quickly.jpg

So, uh, how about them Washington Professional Football Team?

Fixed

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Gosling wrote: »
    Note, adding to Veevee's comment, that Madison had a police brutality moment of its own in 1967, when UW students were protesting Dow Chemical. It ended up radicalizing a ton of the students and culminated in a bombing in protest of Vietnam in 1970.

The Madison police have since learned their lesson. And they've had annual practice regarding what to do when things do get rowdy.

There's also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_Street_Halloween_Party for large crowd control, which did have riots 2 years in a row in 2002 and 2003 because one drunken idiot decided to start shit by throwing a beer bottle and mob mentality took over. I know that because I was there and got the fuck out of dodge when I started to hear angry shouts and saw the first bottle thrown in 02. 2003 was because of drunk college kids being drunk idiots and wanting to have "fun".

I grew up in Madison in the poorest neighborhood where I was a white minority. I saw first hand as police walked up and down the blocks, talking to kids and being incredibly friendly, and then personally apologizing for any arrests that were done and explaining why it happened and why it had to be done from their (the police's) perspective. It created a sense of understanding and acceptance between the police and the people they had to serve and protect. It wasn't a perfect solution, but none of my minority friends growing up ever expressed a feeling of being targeted because of their race instead of their actions.

• Options
    frenetic_ferretfrenetic_ferret wildest weasel East Coast is Best CoastRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    deleted not worth it

frenetic_ferret on
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    frenetic_ferret

you should be a politician or something

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    Minor details like... ya know. Life.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Wow. Skfm eat your heart out.

No I don't.
  • Options
    Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    AnYHOO

A CSIS (Center for Strategic & International Studies, the Johns Hopkins school in DC) Intern tweeted this today under the CSIS's banner:

BvYRhuUIcAAIByN.png:large

I'd offer some analysis about was this says about the nature of the DC thinktank community but we've been sidetracked enough.

Ethan Smith on
  • Options
    frenetic_ferretfrenetic_ferret wildest weasel East Coast is Best CoastRegistered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    frenetic_ferret

I'm a consultant.

• Options
    balerbowerbalerbower Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    frenetic_ferret

I'm a consultant.

that's the scariest thing I've read today

balerbower on
  • Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    frenetic_ferret

I'm a consultant.
    As another consultant, I would have thought client management would be a little higher on your priorities.

For example: dead people can't pay you.

• Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    That is just fucked

• Options
    Let's not allow SKFM2 to derail a thread like the original SKFM. To get back on track, two things:

1) Things seem to be going better tonight. Reporters seem to agree that the police have been less confrontational tonight, intervening in one fight, but not in such a way to make everything worse.
    2) This, from the New York Times, seems to be a pretty good summary of what is known and what various witnesses conflict on at the moment.

• Options
    It's OK dudes. I asked mod to delete my account. This isn't going anywhere and I feel the need to defend myself when things are drawn in from multiple threads not related to the exact one. There are other gaming forums and while this has been fun I do think continuing after this isn't productive for anyone. Though I'll get one more shot in

Nor do the poor!

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    balerbower wrote: »
    frenetic_ferret

I'm a consultant.

Can someone give me the jist of what he said?

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Bubby wrote: »
    frenetic_ferret

I'm a consultant.

Can someone give me the jist of what he said?

I'm writing this on my smartphone so i can't really elaborate, but

essentially he's reducing both national and international tragedies/atrocities into a numbers game, a cost/benefit analysis for the good of the democratic party, of which he is a consultant

this goes beyond cynical. it is straight up sociopathic

balerbower on
  • Options
    I'm not a DNC consultant, I'm an consultant. The clients do not matter.

• Options

so you're an amoral mercenary

kinda reinforces my assertion

• Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Just for kicks, I'd really love to know who you do actually consult for. What field?

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Please stop

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular

why are you still talking to him about it

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    It's OK dudes. I asked mod to delete my account. This isn't going anywhere and I feel the need to defend myself when things are drawn in from multiple threads not related to the exact one. There are other gaming forums and while this has been fun I do think continuing after this isn't productive for anyone. Though I'll get one more shot in

Nor do the poor!

You don't have to leave the forums, and honestly please don't go, but when you express an opinion in one thread it doesn't just stay in that thread. When you state an opinion and then appear to contradict yourself in another, we will call bullshit.

I find your opinions reprehensible and while I wish to never have to read them again, I would rather have them expressed here so we (the community) can discuss them because they are opinions that is shared among many people beyond just yourself. Opinions like yours will be incredibly polarizing, and honestly we may not be able to handle them (as evidenced by SKFM), but please don't feel like you have to leave.

• Options
    edited August 2014

This is derailed and I asked for the comment that derailed it to be removed and I've asked two sherrifs to ban/remove my account. Because I will defend myself... but it's like lawyering. You're job is not the morality of it, it's the effectiveness of the job you do which is contractually bound. The broken eggs don't factor into it.

If for one second your personal values play a part in it, you fail at your job. Why do you think David Axelrod is part of an anti teachers union and pro charter firm... cause he's a consultant, and a good and honest one.

frenetic_ferret on
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

Nothing wrong with being a "mercenary", especially if you're a consultant.

Oddly enough, this is the second time I've heard the word "mercenary" being used as an insult in regards to working for money. Weird.

The amoral thing I'm not going to touch. Trying to deduce someone's world view based on a couple of posts on a forum is not conducive to a fruitful conversation.

As for Fuerguson, any update on tonight's situation? Usually by this time there's several posts on things happening.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    Nor do the poor!
    They do in aggregate, which is why I was able to work with a Philippine microfinance company to help rebuild communities after the typhoon last year.

In general, dismissing groups of people usually means you should check your privelege business model.

• Options
    Things have been mostly peaceful. It's gone well, but any single idiot can fuck things up. Not sure what to credit with the improvement.

Could be Holder coming tomorrow, could be news of the grand jury convening tomorrow, could be community leaders really forcefully got the assholes to stop, could be the police are exercising restraint for one of the first times in the last 11 days, could be the out of town assholes who want to piggyback off this for their own separate cause were dealt with last night (a large number of the non-journalist arrests last night were not from St. Louis or Ferguson).

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    So hey guys what's going on in Ferguson tonight?

More of the same, or is it getting better?

Inquiring minds want to know!

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Though Wes Lowery is reporting sudden change in police behavior. More aggressive. Could be bad.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    is there a shirt company based in Ferguson or something

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »

As for Fuerguson, any update on tonight's situation? Usually by this time there's several posts on things happening.

So far, it's remained largely peaceful. There's been the occasional flareup, usually related to either too big a group coming to a stop or the police forming in too big a line, but every time thus far it's managed to get defused.

So far.

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    The train has been there for days. More frequently when it's peaceful.

• Options
    And the police are ordering the removal of the train. Tensions increased.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    well yeah that train doesn't look like a useful getaway vehicle that's for sure

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Think of the optics.

"Cops draw guns on Thomas the Tank Engine"

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    really the cops are just pissed because they don't have a train too

• Options
    I reading that community leaders are trying to get people to head home and go to the DA's office tomorrow morning for a demonstration at 9am. And also that a "large" (no idea how large) group of people are currently headed from Ferguson to the site of the shooting earlier today.

• Options
    Organizers requested to be allowed to gather people for a prayer to end protest. Man on police radio: "and I told them absolutely not"

Finally got that one down, just petition left, though at some point someone's probably done that too.

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    really the cops are just pissed because they don't have a train too
    well this isn't the 1900s, the feds don't have a surplus of locomotives
    though Ferguson PD probably already has their request in for the next available one of these
    great-gustaf.jpg

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Organizers requested to be allowed to gather people for a prayer to end protest. Man on police radio: "and I told them absolutely not"

Finally got that one down, just petition left, though at some point someone's probably done that too.

Just wait. Dammit.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
This discussion has been closed.