As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Metroid] - I heard the next game is a monologue about misogyny. Oh wait.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I don't really think bans are temporary, especially repeat offenders like TSR.
    But hey, I hear Metroid is a girl.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Morbid curiosity would at least be something new. Going so long without a new entry isn't healthy for the thread.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    This isn't the place to muse on moderator action.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Has anyone said word one about what Retro is currently working on? I was really surprised to see nothing from them at E3. It was like they didn't exist.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Has anyone said word one about what Retro is currently working on? I was really surprised to see nothing from them at E3. It was like they didn't exist.

If they're working on anything, it's too early for them to talk about it.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular

They just finished/released Tropical Freeze, so I'm sure it's a bit too early to show anything of any consequence. Remember we didn't learn about DKCR or Tropical Freeze until the year they were to be released. Hopefully next year is when we'll get some word on what they are up to.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    This isn't the place to muse on moderator action.

Is there a place to ask about stuff like this? Serious question. Wasn't sure where else to ask about it since this was their thread.
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

They just finished/released Tropical Freeze, so I'm sure it's a bit too early to show anything of any consequence. Remember we didn't learn about DKCR or Tropical Freeze until the year they were to be released. Hopefully next year is when we'll get some word on what they are up to.

Damn Reggie for wearing that Samus pin at that show of little consequence!!! Made me all excited for nothing!

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    darunia106 wrote: »
    I have hopes that the next Metroid will avoid the mistakes of the previous one. Mostly because of how fast it dropped in price. I've never seen a Nintendo game do that.

What do you mean? It's still $79.83 at Walmart. ;P
    I like to think she looks protective of Babby Megaman on my shelf;

babbyrockman.jpg

Yeah, they're not on the same scale as each other, but c'mon, he's babby <3

Hmm... maybe close, though? Mega Man is about four feet tall, and Samus is just over six, right? Factoring in distance, the stand... it shouldn't be too far off, should it?
    Nova_C wrote: »
    So, I haven't played any of the Metroid games since Prime 2, just a heads up, so my complaint has nothing to do with Other M.

It's more than just the waist. They thinned the leg armour to make her more leggy. They narrowed the chest and shoulders (aside from the large spheres). They elongated the neck. They changed the hips so that the armour plating was more akin to a bathing suit in form.

Here's another look:
    tumblr_n6z5rsoa8a1qa3e5ao1_500.jpg

Basically, they're trying to make her amour look more delicate because they are focused on her being a woman, and not a bounty hunter.

That's my problem. It's ridiculous, it's misogynist, and Samus looked so much better when her armour looked like it was built for a fucking warrior.

I thought in an interview, they said the redesign was to make her more sleek and agile for all that fast-movement she was supposed to be doing.

Whether there's a correlation, I'll leave to others, but I could have sworn that was the "official" reason given for slimming down her bulk.

Heck, following from that, she moved like a tank in Prime, and if you subscribe to the notion that Sakamoto was trying to put as much distance between his game and Prime as possible...
    Except 1) Samus is not wearing combat fatigues, she's wearing an exclusive model of armor and 2) there ain't no tits nor high heels.
    You can make an outfit reveal gender without being sexualized. And there is nothing sexualized about her armor.

Well, they did give the Other M Zero Suit high heels, heels which don't look like they should fit into the feet of that armor in the slightest, but I guess maybe that's up there with Morph Ball shoulders or whatnot...
    klemming wrote: »
    I'm sure that suit design is absolutely justified, as it allows Spider-Woman to... I don't know.
    Get shot in the gut without damaging the suit?

Isn't one of her powers pheromone emission?

So... maybe it's for that... for some reason? Would that even work in space? Probably not...

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    I picked up Super Metroid when it was 30 cents but never really got around to playing it. Christ in a hand basket it's so much fun! I just killed the plant boss and now I'm totally lost again. I love it! I'm seriously considering calling in sick today so I can spend the day with this game.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I'm sure that suit design is absolutely justified, as it allows Spider-Woman to... I don't know.

So... maybe it's for that... for some reason? Would that even work in space? Probably not...

I mentioned this earlier, but that comic was during an event where there was a dozen or so Avengers helping fight a space-war, and everyone who couldn't survive in a vacuum had suits like that. The exposed front piece was the artists way of letting the readers know which character was which at a glance. (I think there's an energy field preventing decompression)

Why he chose that instead of just painting the spacesuits like their costumes? I have no idea.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

I mentioned this earlier, but that comic was during an event where there was a dozen or so Avengers helping fight a space-war, and everyone who couldn't survive in a vacuum had suits like that. The exposed front piece was the artists way of letting the readers know which character was which at a glance. (I think there's an energy field preventing decompression)

Why he chose that instead of just painting the spacesuits like their costumes? I have no idea.

What, they would have had time to paint their space suits up? Come on man, use your brain, they're in the middle of a space-war. Ain't nobody got time for painting up a space suit, not when you've got perfectly serviceable half-space suits just ready and waiting to let everyone know who you are.

• Options
    MrMiscreantMrMiscreant Mean motor scooter Hiding in the back seat of your carRegistered User regular
    edited June 2014

And definitely miscolored: the part of the suit that's her normal skin tone should be bright yellow.

MrMiscreant on
    LIVE: CitizenZero
    PSN: CitizenXero
    NNID: TheFennec
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    A space suit that immediately kills you if it loses power is a shitty space suit.

And we come right back to Metroid.

• Options
    frenetic_ferretfrenetic_ferret wildest weasel East Coast is Best CoastRegistered User regular
    I can't seem to get a mod to ban me so "the baby"

• Options
    frenetic_ferretfrenetic_ferret wildest weasel East Coast is Best CoastRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    the baby, the baby, the baby, the baby, the baby, the baby, the baby, the baby, the baby, the baby?

frenetic_ferret on
  • Options
    Damn you for bumping this thread. I mean... I knew there wasn't any new Metroid news (outside of the revealed Zero Suit alts in Smash) but damn you.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    skeldare wrote: »
    Damn you for bumping this thread. I mean... I knew there wasn't any new Metroid news (outside of the revealed Zero Suit alts in Smash) but damn you.

Speed runs? Dunno, it's always good to talk about this game, but I managed to get a warning here for quoting that so I figured this would do it. If it means anything I'm waiting for a new one as well... 2d HD super metroid style though.

frenetic_ferret on
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    If you want to be banned then stop posting. It's pretty much the same thing

This is just childish

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    It's kind of funny how he's not getting infracted for saying those two words.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    So hey, y'all seen Zero Suit Samus' alt outfit in new Smash Bros?

zssfusionwiiu.jpg

It's weird - feels less gross than regular Zero Suit somehow. :P

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Goddammit, Nintendo.

• Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    My only problem with this outfit is that breasts do not look like this at all when women wear that type of clothing. A cursory Google search of "MMA women fighters" (NSFW) would provide ample reference material of what it should look like. I wonder if this a limitation of their character modelling/costuming system.

Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    What the fuck is wrong with orange Samus's left foot? Nevermind the boobs, get that girl to a podiatrist, STAT!

Also, this is stupid. DRX, you're right, it's somehow not as gross as the Zero Suit, but ... man, come on. Fucking hell.

• Options
    Well yeah, probably. I mean, this is basically a reskinning of the ZSS model they already have, so her general shape and motions would be the same.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Her poor spine.

• Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    physi_marc wrote: »
    My only problem with this outfit is that breasts do not look like this at all when women wear that type of clothing. A cursory Google search of "MMA women fighters" (NSFW) would provide ample reference material of what it should look like. I wonder if this a limitation of their character modelling/costuming system.

She doesn't normally wear that outfit to fight. It's more like what she wears in her free time.

• Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Well yeah, probably. I mean, this is basically a reskinning of the ZSS model they already have, so her general shape and motions would be the same.

D'oh. Yeah, I forgot that this is only a reskin. My mind was on Hyrule Warriors' alternate costumes, which seem more like alternate character models.

Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    They are pretty awesome throwbacks to Fusion and Zero Mission.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular

D'oh. Yeah, I forgot that this is only a reskin. My mind was on Hyrule Warriors' alternate costumes, which seem more like alternate character models.
    Then again, it's not like her default outfit is any more reasonable.

• Options
    RockinX wrote: »

She doesn't normally wear that outfit to fight. It's more like what she wears in her free time.

Well Smash probably is her free time.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular

Whether it's fighting clothes or not women don't tend to wear vacuum sealed clothing. Also they're already basically what women's MMA clothing looks like so ???

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited August 2014

Whether it's fighting clothes or not women don't tend to wear vacuum sealed clothing. Also they're already basically what women's MMA clothing looks like so ???

Its a pallette swap not a new model hence the weird way its laying on her skin. Its pretty clear the designer wanted these costumes to make it in but didnt have time to make 2 new ZSS models.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options

The dude fighters in Smash should wear MMA speedos too, that would make this a lot less sexist.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I want Captain Falcon to show me HIS moves ;)

• Options

The dude fighters in Smash should wear MMA speedos too, that would make this a lot less sexist.

I don't want to see Mario in a speedo. No thank you.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular

"Daddy, why does that man have TWO mustaches?"

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Arteen wrote: »
    Her poor spine.

i0kNJDmfgsuxv.jpg

• Options
    It's kind of funny how he's not getting infracted for saying those two words.
    Geth will not grant you the mercy of the grave.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Arteen wrote: »
    Her poor spine.

i0kNJDmfgsuxv.jpg

Speaking of vacuum-sealed clothing... Is there a name for ab-wedgies?

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options

and that's exactly why samus suite is ridiculous.

camo_sig2.png
This discussion has been closed.