As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Actual Webcomics Thread, And Its Evil Twin Brother, Homestuck

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    There's a pretty big difference between a self-published webcrumbler's career and the career of a guy who was just starting to break in to the comics industry.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    i cant load jerkcity

are these the end times

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    You know, I'm not sure how much I agree with this:
    https://chasemagnett.wordpress.com/2014/08/19/you-gotta-be-one-of-the-good-guys/

The reaction to this has been disheartening. Websites like Twitter and Reddit are filled with voices demanding proof. People are supporting Yale and demonizing those who point out what he has done. Unleash the Fanboy has released one of the most shameful and disappointing pieces of comics journalism I have ever read. They minimize the behavior in question, stating that “any self respecting American male younger than 30 knows the pain of the regrettable dick slip”. The expectation is that the women harassed by Yale Stewart come forward before anyone acknowledges his action. The support and acknowledgement of comics journalists and professionals with nothing to gain is not enough. The public has made it clear that the women must step forward for this to be taken seriously. And by “the public”, I mostly mean men. The people defending Yale Stewart and demanding that the women step forward are mostly men, the people with the least to fear from this sort of behavior.

Demanding proof seems pretty reasonable, at least initially. An anonymous tweet that leads to a person being harassed online, random internet people stalking them and contacting their family members and likely the end of their career all seem like very real consequences to what just happened.

• Options
    statlerstatler Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    2014-08-20-beartato-dinnertime.png

statler on
    qy85xdkddou7.png
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    https://chasemagnett.wordpress.com/2014/08/19/you-gotta-be-one-of-the-good-guys/

The reaction to this has been disheartening. Websites like Twitter and Reddit are filled with voices demanding proof. People are supporting Yale and demonizing those who point out what he has done. Unleash the Fanboy has released one of the most shameful and disappointing pieces of comics journalism I have ever read. They minimize the behavior in question, stating that “any self respecting American male younger than 30 knows the pain of the regrettable dick slip”. The expectation is that the women harassed by Yale Stewart come forward before anyone acknowledges his action. The support and acknowledgement of comics journalists and professionals with nothing to gain is not enough. The public has made it clear that the women must step forward for this to be taken seriously. And by “the public”, I mostly mean men. The people defending Yale Stewart and demanding that the women step forward are mostly men, the people with the least to fear from this sort of behavior.

Demanding proof seems pretty reasonable, at least initially. An anonymous tweet that leads to a person being harassed online, random internet people stalking them and contacting their family members and likely the end of their career all seem like very real consequences to what just happened.

I would disagree with demanding first hand proof.

If you have a well known name in the industry saying that they know women it's happened to, then no, demanding the assaulted party step forward (and inevitably receive their abuse) is not reasonable.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    yeah, given how the comics community treats females, asking the women to step forward is asking them to open themselves up to a sickening pile of abuse.

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    First hand, and even second hand, accounts are pretty reliable in my opinion, depending on the situation in question. It's when you're dealing with rumor and hearsay from third or even fourth hand stuff that you really need someone more before smearing the name of a person.

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    the dude made, what seems to me at least, a pretty sincere apology

i don't expect him to ever be really forgiven by the women, and im not saying they should

but i dunno i just hope that like anytime he tries to do something a chorus of people don't rise up like OL DICK PIC YALE IS AT IT AGAIN REMEMBER WHEN HE SENT THE DICK PICS

like if he's apologized to the women and talked with them privately over it then let them handle it

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    statler wrote: »

Yale Stewart also admitted on his tumblr this morning that he sent the dick pics.

Dammit. :( Well at least he's coming out and admitting it I suppose. That's...something I guess.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    A bunch of 3rd parties (edit: who are well known public figures, and are connected to the circles in which the events occured) who probably don't have an unrelated grudge against Stewart speaking on the victims' behalf seems like reasonable proof to me in this kind of situation. The damn internet vigilante anonymous harassment needs to not happen, though.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    In his defense, he didn't do the "They totally acted like they wanted it, I'm sorry they're so vague and hard to understand!" backhanded apology I've seen before. 'course, it could be sincere, could not. Basically, if you think you'll ever be someone in the public eye, don't send photos like this to anyone, regardless of the situation. I mean, I'm not gonna tell anyone they can't take explicit photos/make sex tapes but know the risks, at least.

Personally I hope the apology is sincere and that he is forgiven (in time). Guess we'll find out. Maybe.

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    The internet has a long memory and is not known for forgiveness

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    Psykoma wrote: »

If you have a well known name in the industry saying that they know women it's happened to, then no, demanding the assaulted party step forward (and inevitably receive their abuse) is not reasonable.

Having a name attached to it certainly helps. That this is all popping up through out-of-context public tweets that are being echoed from a variety of sources is the bit that's disquieting. I'm at least familiar with Kate Leth, who seems to know the victims. Trusting the picture from 4chan as a source of any crediblity is where warning alarms started going off.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    any site that would base a serious article off a picture they found on 4chan is not worth talking about

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »

Having a name attached to it certainly helps. That this is all popping up through out-of-context public tweets that are being echoed from a variety of sources is the bit that's disquieting. I'm at least familiar with Kate Leth, who seems to know the victims. Trusting the picture from 4chan as a source of any crediblity is where warning alarms started going off.

Neil Ciceriega too:
    ERIQL0z.png

From the sound of Neil's comments, Yale's had a reputation within the industry as a creepy dude for a while now.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Twitter is kind of blowing up with various women in the comics industry going "Oh yeah we've all been warned about him before because he's a creeper"

So

He's probably kind of a creeper

Also when someone approaches situations like this by putting the burden of proof on the victim they are acting like a shitheel

• Options
    imdointhisimdointhis I should actually stop doin' this. Registered User regular
    Sounds like a smear campaign sponsored by Marvel.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    imdointhis wrote: »
    His only published print work is for Marvel!

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    imdointhis wrote: »
    His only published print work is for Marvel!

I think i meant DC (i get them confused) - whoever's IP he's using without paying for it.

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    Super creepy, glad homeboy got outed for this stuff.

Also I hate his comic and hope this kills it for good.

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    well it seems there are more women than have been let on!

gotta own up to all of them yale, i can't defend that

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Twitter is kind of blowing up with various women in the comics industry going "Oh yeah we've all been warned about him before because he's a creeper"

So

Also when someone approaches situations like this by putting the burden of proof on the victim they are acting like a shitheel

The burden of proof isn't on the victim, the burden of proof is on the accuser. That's how the legal system works, at least.

But telling someone they need to prove they're innocent of whatever they've been accused of is its own separate kind of fucked up.

• Options
    I mean

short of showing the dick pic, which I imagine most if not all of the women deleted, there's no way you can have solid proof outside of, I dunno, posting a chatlog where he mentions it or something?

Having a massive wave of comics professionals all saying the exact same thing is pretty conclusively damning

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    yeah I dunno twitter seems to blow up a lot with post-facto "I also heard this scandal guy/girl was a slut/jerk/murderer for years before it was cool" whenever a scandal happens

Dongs Galore on
  • Options
    also, he's not being charged with a crime

people are sharing their opinions of him, and their reasons for feeling that way

if any of that is slander/libel, he's welcome to try and take them to court, but I imagine he won't

• Options
    Sounds more like a lynch mob and bandwaggoning to me.

If it was unsolicited sexual material, it should have been brought to the police - anything outside of that is just a concerted smear campaign.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    what was the thing that broke this whole event anyway

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    In a vacuum, yes, you are correct.

But that is such a sterile look at the situation that it is virtually useless.

Let's look at it from another angle. Considering that these sorts of accusations are invariably followed by the accuser receiving a litany of violent threats against their person, what is the impetus behind the accusation?

• Options
    yeah I dunno twitter seems to blow up a lot with post-facto "I also heard this scandal guy/girl was a slut/jerk/murderer for years before it was cool" whenever a scandal happens
    Except these aren't just random people

they are all part of the comics community

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

if it was a bunch of random people then yeah that's hardly anything and could easily be a bandwagon

but no it is well-known comics professionals who have literally nothing to gain by lying about this

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    20080508.gif

• Options
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    what was the thing that broke this whole event anyway
    An off-hand mention in a twitter conversation between, I believe, Kate Leth and another comics lady regarding his leaving Twitter after the charity wallpaper stuff

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    AvrahamAvraham Registered User regular

yeah cause there's social pressure to keep conversations about harassment private to prevent it from being dealt with openly

:bz: :bz: :bzz:
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »

if it was a bunch of random people then yeah that's hardly anything and could easily be a bandwagon

but no it is well-known comics professionals who have literally nothing to gain by lying about this

Maybe they just really enjoy abuse from countless strangers?

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »

So

So you're saying that it's the duty of the accused to prove a negative?

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Uh, he just posted a statement on his tumblr site. Guess that solves this case.

Bake 'em away, toys.

• Options
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    also, he's not being charged with a crime

people are sharing their opinions of him, and their reasons for feeling that way

if any of that is slander/libel, he's welcome to try and take them to court, but I imagine he won't

Not being charged with a crime, but still facing potentially disastrous consequences from this, is part of the problem.

But now I've become the guy who is defending a dude who sexually harassed some women

you win, internet

• Options
    AvrahamAvraham Registered User regular
    Harassment isn't like plagiarism. It's a social problem, "is this man trustworthy," not a dry intellectual problem of "how do the puzzle pieces of evidence fit together"

:bz: :bz: :bzz:
This discussion has been closed.