As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Ferguson Protests

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
  • Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    I thought bears were the majority of Canada's populations T4CT

Looking at the last census data it's just the largest minority group. But that is combining all different bear species into one category, which might itself be a little racists.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Hermano wrote: »
    It's irresistible to wonder about whether this could happen over here. I like to think it wouldn't. Our cops aren't as well armed for a start. Though they're definitely not great at keeping protests calm.

We had some riots here a few years back, in several cities over multiple nights. It started from a protest over a black guy who had been killed too. But there was very definitely a lot of looting in that case, I'm not sure how many people after the first night were trying to make a statement or protest peacefully.

I wonder how racist this country is and I honestly don't know. I'm white, all my friends are white, virtually everyone I know is white. So I don't see racism happening but then I wouldn't. Obviously we have douchbags like the BNP and islamophobic press, and I know the London police has been accused of institutionalised racism, but I've no idea what it's like to be English and non-white day to day.

There's definitely a lot of differences in both history and the demographics of our countries. For one, I don't think any country in Europe has quite the racial diversity the US does. UK is 87% white, France is about 85% white, Germany is about 95% white, while the US overall is about 78% white. Black people only make up about 13% of our national population, but that's enough to cause tensions, especially with the country's painful racial history. Europe never had slave plantations, as far as I know.

Dunno where you got your numbers from but the UK ain't 87% white, the census 3 years ago was 81.9, with England being a bit lower than the rest, under 80%

So we're not that far off the US at all

I got it off Wikipedia, which supposedly is citing the 2011 census.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_kingdom
    Ethnic groups (2011)
    87.1% White
    7.0% Asian
    3.0% Black
    2.0% Mixed
    0.9% Other

Wiki also says that England is not less than 80%

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/England
    Ethnic groups (2011)
    85.4% White
    7.8% Asian
    3.5% Black
    2.3% Mixed
    0.4% Arab
    0.6% Other

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Hermano wrote: »
    It's irresistible to wonder about whether this could happen over here. I like to think it wouldn't. Our cops aren't as well armed for a start. Though they're definitely not great at keeping protests calm.

We had some riots here a few years back, in several cities over multiple nights. It started from a protest over a black guy who had been killed too. But there was very definitely a lot of looting in that case, I'm not sure how many people after the first night were trying to make a statement or protest peacefully.

I wonder how racist this country is and I honestly don't know. I'm white, all my friends are white, virtually everyone I know is white. So I don't see racism happening but then I wouldn't. Obviously we have douchbags like the BNP and islamophobic press, and I know the London police has been accused of institutionalised racism, but I've no idea what it's like to be English and non-white day to day.

There's definitely a lot of differences in both history and the demographics of our countries. For one, I don't think any country in Europe has quite the racial diversity the US does. UK is 87% white, France is about 85% white, Germany is about 95% white, while the US overall is about 78% white. Black people only make up about 13% of our national population, but that's enough to cause tensions, especially with the country's painful racial history. Europe never had slave plantations, as far as I know.

Dunno where you got your numbers from but the UK ain't 87% white, the census 3 years ago was 81.9, with England being a bit lower than the rest, under 80%

So we're not that far off the US at all

I got it off Wikipedia, which supposedly is citing the 2011 census.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_kingdom
    Ethnic groups (2011)
    87.1% White
    7.0% Asian
    3.0% Black
    2.0% Mixed
    0.9% Other

Wiki also says that England is not less than 80%

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/England
    Ethnic groups (2011)
    85.4% White
    7.8% Asian
    3.5% Black
    2.3% Mixed
    0.4% Arab
    0.6% Other

Ah ok, I'm looking at White British, which is the lower figure, White must be including groups like Eastern European immigrants and so on

Hermano on

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    xOxGGK4.jpg

yeah i have been seeing that retweeted lately and, just, blech.

• Options
    According to the CIA World Factbook:
    white 87.2%, black/African/Caribbean/black British 3%, Asian/Asian British: Indian 2.3%, Asian/Asian British: Pakistani 1.9%, mixed 2%, other 3.7% (2011 est.)

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    maybe they stuck him with a desk job

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    5% of the white population are Irish/other (eastern european) and there is a looooot of racial tension there.

Now I am really going.

• Options
    Yeah this a whole different can of worms so uh

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    well dang it, this is all my fault now

• Options
    edited August 2014
    This seems weird
    Maternal mortality rate:

12 deaths/100,000 live births (2010)
    country comparison to the world: 148

Oh, wait, they're going with high numbers being good, nvm

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    well dang it, this is all my fault now

2017651-frog_man.jpg

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    This seems weird
    Maternal mortality rate:

If you want to feel sad look up the US rate, I think it is something like double? It's scary.
    Obviously not as bad as a lot of countries, not trying to shit on the US or anything.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »

I didn't catch that they were months apart at first and thought the dude was just straight-up bragging about how many people are in jail. The truth is a marginal improvement.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    In eighth grade I won a contest where we were supposed to write to local congressmen with an idea with the idea that we should solve prison overcrowding by building more prisons. Got like, a $200 savings bond for it.

• Options
    ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    but why doesn't the government just print more prisons?

thenews.jpg
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    The Geebs That is Responsible for the Prison Industrial Complex

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Gnizmo wrote: »
    Not sure if this should be in the Interesting thread or if this one also encompasses all cop news, but San Antonio has a squad trained to respond to Mental Health calls

Hopefully this is something that gets noticed and instituted by other cities.

We have a program like that here. I found out one night after my older brother called a suicide hotline and mentioned we had a gun in the house. This lead to at least 10 cop cars coming to our house. I found out after I went to answer the banging on the door to find a half dozen shotguns aimed at me. As I limped out (it was a long day and I have a lot of chronic pain) I was helpfully handcuffed next to my brother while they did their best to wake our dad up as well. Longish story shorter, after waking us all up in the middle of the night and hand cuffing us they said we should maybe take my brother to the hospital for help.

Admittedly there was one guy there trying to be the voice of reason. That guy was ignored by everyone else who seemed to have more interest in harassing us, but he was there. The end result is my brother no longer felt safe calling that hotline because he didn't want us to have to go through all that shit again.

what the fuck

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Fyndir wrote: »
    This seems weird
    Maternal mortality rate:

If you want to feel sad look up the US rate, I think it is something like double? It's scary.
    Obviously not as bad as a lot of countries, not trying to shit on the US or anything.

Nah, definitely go ahead and knock us down a peg. We definitely need it

• Options
    Apparently the grand jury proceedings are supposed to take two months for some reason.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-ferguson-holder-grand-jury-20140820-story.html#page=1
    St. Louis County Prosecuting Atty. Robert McCulloch, who began presenting evidence Wednesday afternoon, said he expected it would take until mid-October to present all evidence in the case. The grand jury will decide whether to indict Darren Wilson, the white Ferguson police officer who shot Brown, who was black.

That seems kind of ridiculous?

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Apparently the grand jury proceedings are supposed to take two months for some reason.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-ferguson-holder-grand-jury-20140820-story.html#page=1
    St. Louis County Prosecuting Atty. Robert McCulloch, who began presenting evidence Wednesday afternoon, said he expected it would take until mid-October to present all evidence in the case. The grand jury will decide whether to indict Darren Wilson, the white Ferguson police officer who shot Brown, who was black.

yeah that is pretty darn fast

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited August 2014

I'm just going to assume it takes a while to let everyone who ever had a positive interaction with Darren Wilson speak. Also, they have to screen that video of the QuikTrip theft twice between every character witness on behalf of Officer Wilson. Also, they decided to have his Commendation Ceremony before the Grand Jury.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Is there a good place to go that has collected the examples of police fuckups during this whole thing?

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    maaaan was it a mistake to bring this up around my family :(

edit: also apparently they released a dash-cam video showing the alleged confrontation between the officer and mike brown and it corroborates the officer's story? i dunno, that's what my folks were saying. they watch fox news religiously, so. who knows.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular

edit: also apparently they released a dash-cam video showing the alleged confrontation between the officer and mike brown and it corroborates the officer's story? i dunno, that's what my folks were saying. they watch fox news religiously, so. who knows.

that seems hard to square against the Ferguson PD Chief stating that none of their cars have dash cams installed.

unfortunately, if they do not believe news from CNN, i suppose that won't help.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    If it was Fox it was likely the edited "robbery" footage

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    balerbowerbalerbower Registered User regular
    yeah seriously if there was a dash cam vid absolving the officer

i think EVERYONE would know about it by now

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    i've just decided to not talk to them about it any more. hearing the phrase "he deserved to get shot" coming from your mother is pretty upsetting. like, EVERY SINGLE THING that's been said in this thread that the right wing in this country would try to do to discredit the victim, my parents are totally doing and i'm just like "gatdamn yo"

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular

that seems hard to square against the Ferguson PD Chief stating that none of their cars have dash cams installed.

how in the world can you afford to maintain a bearcat but not afford to install dashcams you already bought.

what the fuck.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2014
    i've just decided to not talk to them about it any more. hearing the phrase "he deserved to get shot" coming from your mother is pretty upsetting. like, EVERY SINGLE THING that's been said in this thread that the right wing in this country would try to do to discredit the victim, my parents are totally doing and i'm just like "gatdamn yo"

Man. That's just such a sad thing to hear a family member say.

Even in the abstract, there are very few people in this world who 'deserve' to get shot.

tynic on
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »

how in the world can you afford to maintain a bearcat but not afford to install dashcams you already bought.

what the fuck.

Step 1: Be a corrupt police department that doesn't want a record of your doings.

There is no step 2.

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular

what the fuck.

Pivacy is a super valuable resource. They probably decided it cost too much.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited August 2014

what the fuck.

You can answer this question with "government" with a lot of situations like this. I have a family member that works in Washington and her old office has crates full of new cell phones mint in their boxes but never opened them because although funding was appropriated to purchasing the phones, none was allotted to activating them.

So she still walks around with a 3-4 year old Blackberry.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    Some folks mentioned that Officer Darren Wilson had a horrible grouping with his shots, going all the way from the head down to the forearm.

This is a more practical picture.

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    You realize that grouping on a moving target is much different then at a paper target at the range.

Also, going up the arm towards the head while drawing a weapon is a normal pattern. Especially in a panic situation while moving quickly.

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    Hunter wrote: »
    You realize that grouping on a moving target is much different then at a paper target at the range.

Also, going up the arm towards the head while drawing a weapon is a normal pattern. Especially in a panic situation while moving quickly.
    I also realize that doing so after being beaten into near unconciousness is quite a feat

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Did he really get shot in his inner forearm? That would usually indicate the victims arms were turned with his palms facing the officer in a more vertical position, whether his hands were at his side, or above his head. If you're in a fighting position, your arms will usually be in a position usually more perpendicular to your body, facing your attacker fists first, or closer to your body, with your arms towards you, with your outer forearms guarding your body from incoming attacks. That's a pretty weird area to get shot if you're in a scuffle

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    depends on what the credentialed ballistics forensics expert with years of practical experience in the field and probably some intricate papers on the subject has to say

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
This discussion has been closed.