As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Marvel's Agents of SHIELD - SPOILERS EDITION [See OP for Spoiler Rules]

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Upgrade from what DC gave her.

-2011-a-p.jpg

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Wait, Patton Oswalt confirmed LMDs? I don't remember that happening.

Admittedly, I assumed it was that or clones, but...

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I missed that too.

But given the end of Season 1...

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    There was a video at comic-con where Patten came out and started espousing the benefits of secuirty lanyards, when another Patten Oswalt came out and said that Coulson needed to talk to the first one. They were both Koenig's but had different first names. At the end they name dropped Bobbi Morse.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    There was a video at comic-con where Patten came out and started espousing the benefits of secuirty lanyards, when another Patten Oswalt came out and said that Coulson needed to talk to the first one. They were both Koenig's but had different first names. At the end they name dropped Bobbi Morse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akCVyJ8uziA

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Where does this confirm LMD?

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    That doesn't confirm LMDs, it just hints at them very strongly.

Also: Oswalt is the best. I demand an army of Oswalts.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Maybe they're not LMDs they. They're just Oswalt-bots.

Which is very okay. Especially if they all get killed at a hilarious rate and just keep making new ones.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Self-replicating Oswalts that together form the P.A.T.T.O.N. NET?

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Ultron is formed by a glitch in Project Koenig.

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »

That lucky bastard!

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I hope they never explain Koeings.

I just assume it's a Nurse Joy kind of thing.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Basically something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR7dFFXImzA

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »

That lucky bastard!

yeah, i think we're all pretty envious of Lucy Lawless right now....

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Upgrade from what DC gave her.

-2011-a-p.jpg
    So sad that this is a true statement.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    So in my excitement for season 2 I kind of took advantage of the buy 2 get 15% off deal at Best Buy and preordered season 1 on blu and Arrow season 2 on blu.

Between those and Winter Soldier, September will be some awesome viewing.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular
    This ad for season 2 keeps popping up around the internetz. Not sure if it's fake or not, but if it's real, goddamn is that a REALLY specific image that half of AoS fans aren't going to recognize!

tumblr_naiw0ejNya1so8xfgo1_1280.jpg

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Maybe they're not LMDs they. They're just Oswalt-bots.

Which is very okay. Especially if they all get killed at a hilarious rate and just keep making new ones.

Well, if it's a robot, it's a robot that 'bleeds' and passes as human pretty damned convincingly.

Anyways, isn't that basically what an LMD is? I vaguely recall from the comics some of them being kinda 'omg there's a robot inside there' when damaged/destroyed, and some just basically being nigh-perfect replicas.

So what'd be the difference between an LMD and a robot that's essentially entirely organic? Whether or not ones can be made that replicate existing people? If nothing else, once you're at making believable 'fake humans', altering them to convincingly look, sound and act like the template probably isn't entirely beyond ones reach.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    LMDs are whatever the plot needs them to be, even retroactively, which is why some people wish they could hate them to death.

I predict they will be used sensibly in the MCU, at least at first, because Marvel has a pretty good sense of what the fans are willing to accept. If suddenly everyone who dies in the MCU comes back as an LMD, that'll be stupid, and they know it.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Yea, the idea of LMDs in the comics is neat, but ultimately they are used to ret-con deaths like crazy.

"What....how are you alive still!?!?!"

"LMD son..."

"Oh...ok then!"

Heck, they just recently pulled that bull in Original Sin. Blech I say!

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    They could just be a bunch of different guys who volunteered to be surgically altered to look like Patton Oswalt.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Nah, just like SHIELD took in Black Widow, they also rescued all the Patton Oswalts after WW2 (ala Krieger from Archer).

Keep them all in separate facilities so they cant clone bone and become evil. :P

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Yea, the idea of LMDs in the comics is neat, but ultimately they are used to ret-con deaths like crazy.

"What....how are you alive still!?!?!"

"LMD son..."

"Oh...ok then!"

Heck, they just recently pulled that bull in Original Sin. Blech I say!

Nah, that's a Doombot. LMD's are used for decoys to fool villains into thinking they're at a specific location and secret communication devices, Fury that does that shit like it's his cell phone.

• Options
    However they use them, they need to either be super difficult to make or have distinct limitations, because otherwise why doesn't everyone just use LMDs for everything while sitting at home in their jammies? Just making them slow or with crappy reflexes or kinda dim would prevent them from replacing field agents with them. Or maybe it takes the same money and effort to make an LMD as it does to make a helicarrier. I mean, since this is some next-gen shit that we haven't really seen evidence of.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    However they use them, they need to either be super difficult to make or have distinct limitations, because otherwise why doesn't everyone just use LMDs for everything while sitting at home in their jammies? Just making them slow or with crappy reflexes or kinda dim would prevent them from replacing field agents with them. Or maybe it takes the same money and effort to make an LMD as it does to make a helicarrier. I mean, since this is some next-gen shit that we haven't really seen evidence of.

Their limitation is that they all look like Patton Oswalt.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    This ad for season 2 keeps popping up around the internetz. Not sure if it's fake or not, but if it's real, goddamn is that a REALLY specific image that half of AoS fans aren't going to recognize!

tumblr_naiw0ejNya1so8xfgo1_1280.jpg

Hey, does anyone know of a desktop background version of this? Ideally 1080?

EDIT: cellphone version would be rad too.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »

Their limitation is that they all look like Patton Oswalt.

That's not a limitation.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I have just come up with a better idea than LMDs, because let's save LMDs for something really important okay?

The Oswalts are the result of human cloning experiments. For decades they've tried to be able to grow clones that mature rapidly but then age at a normal pace, and for whatever reason, he's the only DNA that works.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    You would think that a project like LMD would have been taken over by Hydra long ago. Heck, it would make sense if Hydra started the project.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2014
    There is a superhero book series Wearing the Cape by Marion Harmon and one of the capes in that book is a guy who has the code name of Platoon. There are a lot of him, seeded through government agencies and super teams. He is the Red shirt of Red shirts, and often pulls duty like front line security and swat teams. If one body goes down all the others know it because one mind. It is classified how many of him there are and how he replaces fallen bodies.

It is really weird when you have Agent Robins introducing himself as FBI being backed up by the up armored insertion team to secure the premises and they are all Platoon.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I have just come up with a better idea than LMDs, because let's save LMDs for something really important okay?

The Oswalts are the result of human cloning experiments. For decades they've tried to be able to grow clones that mature rapidly but then age at a normal pace, and for whatever reason, he's the only DNA that works.

I love this idea. Like in Shadowrun how all those medical replacement organs are cloned from ONE GUY who happens to have hypoallergenic tissue and thus about 99.98% of the population doesn't reject the transplants.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    They've literally been trying to use the DNA of every single SHIELD agent since cloning first started being viable, and this is the first guy it's worked with.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Have any LMDs ever found ou that they're LMDs, and had a breakdown over it?
    The idea of LMD Nick Fury deciding to kill the real Fury and take his place seems kinda obvious, but if they establish them in the MCU, it's one I'd want to see.
    Or Coulson's evil clone coming to take over the Bus...

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Some LMDs know,they're LMDs. There was a funny bit in A+X where they were in a SHIELD safe house with an LMD with "LMD" written on his shirt. When they ask about it, he says it's because spies would get all paranoid wondering if he was an LMD or not.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    [Mass Effect spoilers]
    Look, I basically want the plot from ME3's Citadel DLC, in the MCU.
    Whether it's small-scale on a TV show, or a full-blown Evil Avengers movie.
    Tony [to his evil clone]: I met a TV technician in Tennessee, and he was a better me than you."

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    I like to think they keep trying to make LMDs of Fury....and whatever they do they end up with Oswalts.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    klemming wrote: »
    Have any LMDs ever found ou that they're LMDs, and had a breakdown over it?
    The idea of LMD Nick Fury deciding to kill the real Fury and take his place seems kinda obvious, but if they establish them in the MCU, it's one I'd want to see.
    Or Coulson's evil clone coming to take over the Bus...

There actually have been evil Nick Fury LMDs in the comics and most of them knew they were LMDs. One of these evil one were most recently in the first arc of Secret Avengers.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
This discussion has been closed.