As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Doctor Who] Calling it now, River Song is Mrs. Claus

• Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Spoilers for the end of the episode:
    BvwF8bgIUAASHMy.jpg:large

The text from twitter says "it started with a phone call and ended with a phone call"

edt: ugh how do you embed twitter comments?

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    Should be able to just paste in the URL, same as with YouTube.

• Options
    My guess is 50/50
    That or The Rani, but I love that we are all totally discounting a new character entirely.
    I'm feeling that it'll be a new character. Unless Moffat disregards the Rani's character entirely, as Butler said, this character doesn't seem very Rani. And for once it actually seems like we're done with River.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Clara backstory,
    I'm glad they brought up the original phone call. It always bugged me they never dealt with who gave her the Tardis phone number.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    So can I actually watch this in the US? I don't have cable.
    Cyvros wrote: »
    My guess is 50/50
    That or The Rani, but I love that we are all totally discounting a new character entirely.
    I'm feeling that it'll be a new character. Unless Moffat disregards the Rani's character entirely, as Butler said, this character doesn't seem very Rani. And for once it actually seems like we're done with River.
    WE'RE NEVER DONE WITH RIVER

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    iTunes or Amazon has it. Not sure if it's part of Hulu's BBC America package or not.

Loved this episode. Loved the little call-backs to the previous regenerations, esp. Four. Loved that
    Clara struggled to deal with the new face of the Doctor, and loved the bit "I'm not your boyfriend." "I never thought you were." "I didn't say it was your mistake." Man. That was a nice bit.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    It's not on Hulu yet, and I'm not sure when it might be.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    If you've got Comcast Xfinity it's up there

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    It is nice that they acknowledged that it isn't just the assistants mooning over the Doctor; that he did lead them on a bit, even it was more for the purpose of convincing himself he was human(ish) than actually getting them into bed.

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    I will say that after
    very nearly a full episode about how the new doctor was absolutely and thankfully not going to continue any of the romance subplots from prior seasons, having Missy call him her boyfriend almost made me glare holes into my tv.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Why are we assuming that woman is anything but mad

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

That was all 100% stalker.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I'm going to have to disagree with one of your points there
    From what I've seen, the Fourth had a pretty bad habit of not paying attention to where Sarah Jane was and leaving her behind.

I think theres a difference
    between losing a companion because shes just too damn nosy and doesnt know to stick with the alien vs deliberately leaving one behind a locked door and surrounded with no means to escape.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Narbus wrote: »
    I will say that after
    very nearly a full episode about how the new doctor was absolutely and thankfully not going to continue any of the romance subplots from prior seasons, having Missy call him her boyfriend almost made me glare holes into my tv.

Actually hes making it clear he isnt picking up companions for romance. River wasnt really a companion and she suggested he was more then eager to steal her from prison occasionally. I kinda get the feeling Time Lords have the equivlent of Pon-Far.

• Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    I did not really love the episode. Especially the beginning. I'm glad Clara got to step up a bit and showcase some smarts but at the same time, it felt weird.
    It was set up, sure, but the idea that the Doctor would straight up leave her there and trust her to figure something out, or already know about the backup, or expect that the bad guy wouldn't just kill her... He came back, yes, but it still felt creepy overall. Scripted to create tension without having real logic behind it. I know that the whole show is like that to a certain extent, but before it felt like they Doctor and the companions were in it together and while he would figure a thing out, it wasn't really part of his plan to totally leave them in the dark in mortal danger. I'm sure it's happened before, duh, so I don't know why this time it felt so off to me. And I know Clara is supposed to be really smart, so him relying on her smarts may be perfectly reasonable in some sense, but eh.

Was it established that she doesn't remember anything from the other Claras because otherwise what the heck, she should be an old hand at this stuff.

• Options
    Well I think some of that worry was based on:
    The fairly valid assumption that Vestra would not have sent her into the resturant without some kind of backup, which she did. So you could say that the doctor assumed that she could call for help if she needed it, she just was trying to get as much information from the guy before doing it. while that MIGHT be a valid tactic, it was presented as much more of a coldly calculating guess. He even mentioned that to her before she calls for help...still think it was a less then cool thing for him to do especially since he didnt say anything about it as he walked away from the sealed door.

• Options
    I mean
    Moffat had to stick in an entire memory sequence to justify her decision to stand up to the bad guy, which was interesting but odd?The idea that we know so little about Clara, or that the action would otherwise feel too unbelievable... She could have alluded to the memory in dialogue somehow, maybe. I don't even know. None of it really felt cohesive and logical. It felt like Moffat knew what had to happen and was scrambling to make it work.

And then you have good stuff like him talking about how he didn't frown those lines into his face, the attack eyebrows, and it's like two different writers are involved. Blah.

Don't get me started on the opening stuff. I get that commenting on physical features makes sense for a dude who just changed them, but come on. Really.

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I really enjoyed leaning more into the horror tone for this one. I rather hope it keeps this up and goes for a Hinchliffe era reprise. Ben Wheatley was such a stellar choice on director. I think this might have been the best directed episode in a long long while. It'll be neat to see him do a Dalek episode next.

Also, I might be alone in this, but I really enjoyed the episode being a lot slower. The show was starting to cram way too many ideas into too small of a runtime for quite awhile now. So I really dug the more leisurely pacing here.

And Peter Capaldi nailed it of course.
    I'm totally throwing my hat into the Missy as the Master ring. The Master making an army of pissed off AI to defeat the Doctor would be a right classic plan.

Spoilers on future episode titles/ some set pics.
    With Robots of Sherwood, the Cybermen, and some robot looking baddies in the trailer you are building up a lot of mechanical/digital minded enemies for Missy to take to the promise land

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Clara the teacher.
    I loved that flashback scene. As a teacher I just looked at it and laughed. That was super accurate.

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Yeah I dug that too. Basically anything that made Clara seem more like an actual person landed well for me.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    I didn't dislike it, I just thought it felt out of place. Bit of a sore thumb.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Well, in the same scene Clara
    says he's where he'll always be: At her back. And he was. She was scared he wouldn't be, but she was right. He was at her back. He more left the room for a second than abandoned her.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Weirdly for being an episode about the new regeneration I think most of my highlights came from all the scenes with Lady Vastra and crew and Clara's big speech after the flashback.

• Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Well, in the same scene Clara
    says he's where he'll always be: At her back. And he was. She was scared he wouldn't be, but she was right. He was at her back. He more left the room for a second than abandoned her.
    Well, if he wasn't then that would have been quite the shocker, wouldn't it? But he straight up said he was leaving because it didn't make sense for both of them to die. He didn't say "I'll be back" or "give me a minute" or anything like that. So her faith in him was entirely based on who he was before, from her perspective. And if you follow that train, it sort of makes it weird for her to walk away from him later, since he's basically proven himself, even if he did then run off again to convince a robot to commit suicide.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Yes, the end was a little weird because they shoehorned in more dramatic tension than made sense. But that's par for the course.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    Attention Nyssa fans: Charlie Jane at io9 has written a pretty plausible story outline that addresses the terrible waste of Nyssa during her time on-screen. It is my new head canon.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    non-spoilery observations:

- in general I feel like this show has always put me in the position of agreeing with the broad strokes of creative decisions even when I hate the execution. I think Davies and Moffat are both good producers in that sense, even when the actual writing fails them. In this episode's case, addressing the Doctor's new "age" head-on was absolutely the right call, because - like it or not - it potentially marks one of the biggest shifts in the show's approach since it came back, and the course change had to be signaled. On the other hand, in terms of the actual episode, I thought it made Clara seem kind of unpleasant and peevish for a long stretch, which struck me as doubly weird since she has more experience of multiple Doctors than most companions.

- Capaldi is a talented actor who wanted this role so I never really had any doubts about his ability, so it wasn't a surprise as such to see that he was good, but I'm looking forward to getting a better sense of his character - it came through a bit there at the end, but not quite as much as Smith or Tennant's debuts.

- The scene with the tramp was a definite highlight, both entertaining and kind of squirmy and uncomfortable (but deliberately so). "I probably blame the English."

- I feel like a recurring problem in Moffat's scripts has been a weird dearth of characters. In a 75-minute episode, which is barely shorter than the full length of one of the classic show's 4-parters, the speaking roles of any significance are the two main characters, their three sidekicks, the villain, and a tramp (and plot arc person at the end, I guess). That is literally it. There's not even really any reason this episode had to take place in Victorian London; the setting is entirely nominal and doesn't play into the story or the action at all.

- All that said, I actually quite enjoyed the final conversation between the Doctor and the villain. It was genuinely gladdening to see an episode feature a sustained argument, and that's part of why I think the show suffers so much for its ironclad insistence on having a monster every week; half the monsters can't talk and aren't really good for much more besides running from and waving the screwdriver at.

- The very end, of course, the bit at the TARDIS (keeping it vague) was well-done and quite satisfying but this show always bets the farm on the big emotional moments and I would really be happier if it just addressed some of the wobblier bits of its day-to-day execution instead of constantly racing for the big payoff finish line.

• Options
    I do think the best part of the whole episode was just the conversation between the Doctor and the Half-Face Man in the escape pod. I feel like the argument could have been better written, but both actors did a pretty good job with what they were given.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I'm slightly narky that I have no way of watching this in the states (I missed the broadcast) and it'll be off iPlayer by the time I return.

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I have it DVR'd just come hang out.

Narbus on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

That was all 100% stalker.

Everyone go watch Green Wing now.
    I badly, badly want Michelle Gomez to stick around in the series as a new, long-running character. She's absolutely perfect for a lunatic nemesis.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I'm slightly narky that I have no way of watching this in the states (I missed the broadcast) and it'll be off iPlayer by the time I return.

@Tube depending when you're back would this be of use? http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/tv/iplayer-downloads-service 30 days after you download it.

• Options
    Preview clip for Into the Dalek:

http://youtu.be/zx2cSUtGM1E

• Options
    EmbraceThePingEmbraceThePing ひきこもり Where the Crabbits and the Iz roam and the Jungle Queen rules the plainsRegistered User regular
    I'm just going to leave this here and errrrr .... go over there, errr somewhere and do something that needs to be done.

• Options
    Word of the Day: "lizbianism"

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    I'm just going to leave this here and errrrr .... go over there, errr somewhere and do something that needs to be done.

I'm pretty sure that these sort of sentiments have already been expressed in this thread (but for some reason I'm getting a 404 navigating backwards through it), and this article just does the normal newspaper thing of blowing it out of proportion.
    That is, some people thought that the kiss was gratuitous and sloppy writing by Moffat, and on recollection needing to share oxygen for 5 seconds makes no sense at all.
    But that doesn't mean people aren't fine with lizbians. It just means they should find the same scene gratuitous and sloppy with different characters in the same roles.

Like for example, Jack Harkness and the Doctor. Or the Doctor and Clara. Although there were only 4 people in the room at the time, so that limits our shipping options somewhat. How well do Silurians survive low oxygen environments anyway?

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular

I'm pretty sure that these sort of sentiments have already been expressed in this thread (but for some reason I'm getting a 404 navigating backwards through it), and this article just does the normal newspaper thing of blowing it out of proportion.
    That is, some people thought that the kiss was gratuitous and sloppy writing by Moffat, and on recollection needing to share oxygen for 5 seconds makes no sense at all.
    But that doesn't mean people aren't fine with lizbians. It just means they should find the same scene gratuitous and sloppy with different characters in the same roles.

Like for example, Jack Harkness and the Doctor. Or the Doctor and Clara. Although there were only 4 people in the room at the time, so that limits our shipping options somewhat. How well do Silurians survive low oxygen environments anyway?

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Personally, my main complaint would be that just because they're gay, doesn't mean they want to bang any woman who happens to be passing by. Although I suppose this applies more to Vastra than Jenny. The rest of it, I couldn't decide whether it was clumsily trying to assert that it's cool with lesbians by having them reference in every scene that they're gay and married, or just trying to piss off the Daily Mail.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
This discussion has been closed.