As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Australian & NZ Politics] Thanks, Shorten.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    They're going full on twirly moustache mode at this point.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Kalkino wrote: »
    Mortious wrote: »
    Woo, anecodte time.

So far I've seen several National posters vandalized, but none of the other parties*.

*Except the Conservative party one from the Herald.
    b70e7077358fa52c6842492d18aa9f3bc476a760_620x312.jpg

When I was at school everyone vandalised election posters, or took them.

Have you been watching the Herald's political interviews? They are pretty good. Sort of like the 1970s style of political interview

I haven't actually.

I read some of their earlier opinion pieces about the election/politics and they were pretty bad.

But I'll take a look at the interview ones.

So far I'm probably going to vote Labour, so those might be interesting to read.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    It is spoken word and will not reflect editorial line as there are 3 political reporters questioning the leader usually

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    So the government's welfare changes will probably gut Tasmania's budget. Because this state wasn't in its death throes already.

God I fucking hate these assholes.

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    The Federal government response will be: "well, just employ everyone to cut down trees."

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    One of the interesting parts of the current Dirty Politics scandal in NZ was a plan by a lawyer/pr strategist on the far right of National to borrow the recent US republican dirty politics strategy as well as professionalisation of political organising. One part of that was to develop private funding raising to the extent that rich groups could buy National and outspend Labour by a factor of 3 or 4 times.

He had a 20 year plan to do so and it makes for chilling reading. I'll post extracts

• Options
    Suriko wrote: »
    Republicans: Ruining everything, everywhere.

The odd part was that a lot of this came out when he was just thinking about it. He apparently had some thoughts about becoming an academic and was in email correspondence with the Dirty Politics author back several years, where he raised several of the main points.

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Republicans: Ruining everything, everywhere.

Not the least of which, ruining the word "Republican".

Also the Liberal Party ruining the word "Liberal"

Stop ruining words.

• Options
    The NZ National Party is actually the result of our Liberal and Reform parties unifying during the Depression in order to fight the rise of Labour. Quote common I believe

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    They're going full on twirly moustache mode at this point.

They went beyond moustache twirling months ago. Now they're in 'build a hidden base on the moon' mode.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/22/tasmania-prepares-to-tear-up-forestry-peace-deal
    The Tasmanian government is on course to pass legislation that would tear up the state’s forestry peace deal, with environmentalists claiming the move will open up 1.5m hectares of largely pristine forest to logging.

The state government’s forestry bill has already passed the lower house, which it controls, and is in the process of negotiating the legislative council, the upper house of parliament. Key independent Robert Armstrong has indicated support for the bill, meaning it is likely to pass.

The bill will remove 400,000ha of native forest from reserves set up by the Tasmanian Forest Agreement.

An additional 657,000ha in conservation areas and 454,000ha in regional reserves will also be opened up to “partial logging” for the speciality timber industry.

Sigh.

Oh, and let's ignore the fact that tourism in tasmania is bigger than logging in terms of employment. Afterall, it's the loggers who are big liberal party donors.

And of course, they're also trying to make it illegal in Tasmania to protest if you inconvenience a business in any way:
    Protesters may not cause or threaten damage to a business
    Police can direct protesters to leave a business or "business access area"
    Police can remove any obstructions to a business and people may not prevent them doing so
    Inciting any of these acts is an offence
    Police can demand proof of identity
    Police can arrest without warrant and remove people from a business
    Officers can use necessary force to perform these powers

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Students injured in Adelaide University protest last night.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/protesters-rally-against-prime-minister-tony-abbotts-appearance-at-adelaide-university/story-fni6uo1m-1227032303490
    PS DON'T READ THE COMMENTS, IT'S A MURDOCH RAG.

Less than one year in, and the building had a 30m exclusion zone, with police and security guards at every entrance, cops patrolling the campus and eventually, cops on horses to push back the crowd and stomp on at least one student. There is no prime Minister in memory that required this.

News.com.au are going with a story about how everyone is whingers, and don't even know what tough times are.

Because of course they are.

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Latest polls are out and National has taken a hit, albiet whilst still polling around 50%. Labour hasn't benefited but the Greens have, creeping to near 14%. Preferred PM is more interesting as Key has taken his biggest hit in a long time and Cunliffe has gone up. Most people seem to think National's popularity rests upon Key's, so I guess we shall see.

The blogger, Slater has been informed he will face further charges for breach of privacy, already at court for other reasons some months ago. He has also laid a complaint himself over the hacking and leak of emails to Hager.

There also seems to be an official investigation into the SIS 2011 OIA release leak. The retired director and recording from the weekly PM media conference seem to indicate he was aware of the leak or the leaker. He denies and says he will be willing to go under oath.He says now his office was aware but he wasn't.

Kalkino on
  • Options
    Behold: cowardice.
    http://m.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/voters-dont-want-another-election-tony-abbott-hoses-down-claims-of-a-poor-budget-sales-job-20140822-1073fu.html

"Prime Minister Tony Abbott has said that the last thing voters want is another election"

HA HA HA HA HA

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    Because Abbott has been so on point regarding voters wishes lately....

Though I guess, he does vote and does not want an election so he is technically correct.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-22/moral-burden-will-not-impede-border-policies-morrison/5687820
    In his opening remarks, Mr Morrison maintained Labor's policies led to the high number of children in detention and said the former government should also be questioned at the inquiry.

"This is an inquiry into children in detention as you have stated. However it could be more accurately described as an inquiry into children Labor put in detention," he said.
    Indescribable anger.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    plufim wrote: »
    Behold: cowardice.
    http://m.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/voters-dont-want-another-election-tony-abbott-hoses-down-claims-of-a-poor-budget-sales-job-20140822-1073fu.html

"Prime Minister Tony Abbott has said that the last thing voters want is another election"

HA HA HA HA HA

CAWWWWWW BUCK BUCK BUCK BUCK BUCK *pecks at ground*

He can claim that, but we all know the reason he won't is because he's well aware the Liberals will get utterly wiped out.

Now all the senate has to do is do it's job and completely block the budget.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    After making everybody not a wealthy conservative detest them, the Liberals are set on alienating the last of their supporters - it's tax increase time.

Either this is a ploy to try and turn public sentiment against the Senate, or they're really committed to making themselves poll as low as they can go.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Billboard_Conservatives.jpg

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    Why do they let Pyne ever talk?
    Christopher Pyne says cuts to research funding as an alternative to the higher education reforms that face being blocked by the Senate could be a “worst-case scenario” and has called on student protesters to “get some perspective” because the government is “not exactly asking for their left kidney”.
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/24/christopher-pyne-no-university-reform-could-mean-research-funding-cuts

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MuddypawsMuddypaws Lactodorum, UKRegistered User regular
    Stop protesting or the puppy cure for cancer gets it?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Thread title just keeps getting more and more apt...

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Australia: Mitt Romney's Wet Dream

• Options
    Christopher Pyne says cuts to research funding as an alternative to the higher education reforms that face being blocked by the Senate could be a “worst-case scenario” and has called on student protesters to “get some perspective” because the government is “not exactly asking for their left kidney”.
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/24/christopher-pyne-no-university-reform-could-mean-research-funding-cuts

There's also the part where he gave tips on how to set fire to an effigy when some students failed to get one alight at a protest. Because the best way for an education minister to endear himself to those affected by his portfolio is to fucking mock them. The arrogant little prick.

This lot really believe themselves aristocrats lording over the peasant rabble.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

There's also the part where he gave tips on how to set fire to an effigy when some students failed to get one alight at a protest. Because the best way for an education minister to endear himself to those affected by his portfolio is to fucking mock them. The arrogant little prick.

This lot really believe themselves aristocrats lording over the peasant rabble.

Christopher Pyne has always been an unrepetent douchebag.

He seems to basically the refined tip of the tower of assholishness that runs through the Liberal party (i.e. that guy who was on the NBN joint committee and basically showed up drunk and yelling at people all the time).

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Do you think maybe they were told to use very specific assumptions for this? Because I do.
    A multi-technology mix NBN would cost $24.9 billion to launch from 2015 compared with $35.3 billion for fibre to the premises (FTTP), the report finds.

A multi-technology mix would deliver download and upload speeds of 20-100 megabits a second, while FTTP would deliver speeds above 100Mbps.

The report finds the most cost-effective option would be an unsubsidised launch in which the free market delivers high-speed broadband to 93 per cent of homes. This would have a net economic benefit of $24 billion, but would leave 7 per cent of premises in regional and rural areas without fast broadband.

This literally makes no sense to me. And I am betting the terms of reference for this were carefully engineered to ensure they'd get the desired outcome. Which almost certainly means that built in somewhere are some very optimistic assumptions about what the free market will and won't do, that in no way mirror reality.

EDIT: In fact paging through this thing it seems obvious that there's a lot of the usual crap in here. "Fiber to the node provides high speeds". No, it doesn't. Got ADSL2? That's as good as it ever gets. You will never see quadruple bonded VDSL or whatever, it's just never going to happen. Where its available it'll just be completely prohibitively priced.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Are they still using models that take the cost of using the existing telstra owned copper network as being $0?
    The report finds a multi-technology mix is more "future proof" because it can be upgraded to fibre to the premises later if demand for fast broadband booms.
    What.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    So mixed is more future proof, because you can upgrade it later to the other option? I do not think they are using the same definition of future proof as most people.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    The report was staffed by former Turnbull advisors and staffers, and anti- NBN types.

It assumes that in 2023 most households will require up to 15Mbps connections with the top 5 requiring 43Mbps connections.

It assumes the cost of delivery for FTTH is increasing while as Turnbull admits the opposite is true.

But that is really irrelevant as it's nonsensical bullshit and the manner by which it is reported makes no sense. Who cares about a limited tern cost benefit analysis?

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    In other news, Brandis has lashed out at the ABC and Fairfax for undermining religious liberty when giving a speech covered only by the ABC and the catholic specific press.

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/religion-and-ethics-report-religious-freedom/5699194

What in the f-

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Are they still using models that take the cost of using the existing telstra owned copper network as being $0?
    The report finds a multi-technology mix is more "future proof" because it can be upgraded to fibre to the premises later if demand for fast broadband booms.
    What.

And there goes any hope that their might even be a grain of truth or logic to this report.

This is what I fundamentally do not understand about the mind set involved here. In the long run, you are inevitably going to have to upgrade to fibre (barring some as yet unforeseen and unlikely technological leap). The total cost after the upgrade will be far more then just doing it right the first time. So why the fuck do you insist on half assing it?

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    There is actually a new type of fibre optic developed in recent years that has solved the hollow optic not being able to turn corners problem. Instead of the 31% loss of speed in silicate fibres light travels down these literal tubes at 99% of the speed of light.

However this is so expensive it's really not a consideration. Normal silicate would be more than enough of a jump over what we have now. And the end user probably wouldn't notice the difference anyway.

http://www.nature.com/nphoton/journal/v7/n4/full/nphoton.2013.45.html

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    There is actually a new type of fibre optic developed in recent years that has solved the hollow optic not being able to turn corners problem. Instead of the 31% loss of speed in silicate fibres light travels down these literal tubes at 99% of the speed of light.

However this is so expensive it's really not a consideration. Normal silicate would be more than enough of a jump over what we have now. And the end user probably wouldn't notice the difference anyway.

http://www.nature.com/nphoton/journal/v7/n4/full/nphoton.2013.45.html

Or to go another way: in regular fiber optics we've been at something like 10+ Terabits per fiber (being super, super conservative). There's so much capacity that provided you have a fiber running to customer premises you can provide functionally unlimited bandwidth at a consumer level by upgrading the nodes.

• Options
    Australian Politics: where "future proofing" means "we can fix it later".

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I like how Abbott leads a government dedicated to attacking the poor on welfare, while claiming entitlements by half-assing in a visit to a cancer hospital before going to parliament.

Good going sport.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Today I learned that my 1995 Toyota is future proof because I can buy a new one when it breaks. Nice.

• Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    I decided to take a look at the NBN CBA and yes indeed it appears to intentionally remove any transfers or payments to other companies for use of existing assets (ie telstra copper network) from the figures.

I couldn't find out much of the specifics of the assumptions by the CBA as once you get into hard facts or figures you run into a wall of redacted black bars.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Latest polls came out today I think. National is down a little, Labour too, the minor parties, excluding Maori, Act and UF picking up. Radio NZ analysis posted below. Usual caveat, 4 polling companies only.

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/political/252411/poll-of-polls-with-colin-james

National's polling average was steady at 50.2% up to early August after two more polls, Colmar Brunton for TV1 and Reid Research for TV3, released on Sunday. Labour's average dropped to 26.4%.

These figures include the poll by Ipsos for Fairfax Media published last Friday. That poll stands out with a much higher score for National (55.1%) and a much lower score for Labour (22.5%) than the other three in the latest four-poll rolling average. Those three registered 48.2%, 47.5% and 50% for National and 27.9%, 29.0% and 26% for Labour.

The Greens have held their average at 12.2%.

Internet-Mana has been picking up support: its average to early August was 2.7%. New Zealand First remained within striking distance of the 5% hurdle, with 4.0%. The Conservatives were 2.5%, the Maori Party 0.9%, ACT 0.5% and United Future 0.1%.

Kalkino on
  • Options
    Oh I seem to have quoted the older results from last week! More recent below, updated poll of polls from RNZ.

Big story is that the Conservatives have got within a gasp of the magic 5% Party Vote, which if not outlier puts them very close to parliament. The non governmental Minor Parties have seemingly banked the gains this round.

The latest 3News-Reid Research poll shows National recorded 45 percent and Labour 26.4 percent, while the Conservative and New Zealand First have gained support.
    The Conservatives' support jumped from 2.5 to 4.6 percent in this poll.
    New Zealand First was up to 6.3 and the Green Party rose marginally to 13.5 percent.
    None of the other parties polled anywhere near 5 percent.

National 48.3%
    Labour 26.3%
    Greens 12.4%
    NZ First 5.6%
    Conservatives 2.7%
    Internet Mana 2.7%
    Maori 0.8%
    Act 0.5%
    United Future 0.4%