As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DC Movies] Go post in the new thread

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    DC apparently heard that people liked Batman in the Lego Movie, but did not realize it was parody.

DCAU's batman is a jokester sometimes. Him and flash would be a good analog to iron man versus spidey from marvel.

DCAU's Batman would be too upbeat for the DCCU. :(

DCAU's Batman is too upbeat for DC regular universe.

• FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    Fakefaux wrote: »
    It is not a good time to be a DC fan.

(Green) Arrow and the Flash.

I stand by my statement.

• DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    I know it's not a popular opinion, but I kind of like the serious/gritty tone of the DC movies. The constant parade of jokes and slapstick in the Marvel movies is becoming stale imo.

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited August 2014
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    DC excels in animation and television.

Why does actual movie making seem to escape them so badly? O_o

They want to copy the MCU's general structure, while also making it all as different as possible so as to maintain a notion of distinct branding.

The MCU is the funny one! The DCU must then be the serious one. The MCU is the bright, colorful one! The DCU must then be the one shot in nothing but earth tones. The MCU is the successful one! The DCU... well, you get the idea.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I know it's not a popular opinion, but I kind of like the serious/gritty tone of the DC movies. The constant parade of jokes and slapstick in the Marvel movies is becoming stale imo.

I don't get this.

Guardians is the only one that veers towards comedy.

Like Cap 2 has moments of brevity but I wouldn't ever say it has slapstick.

"More serious" is fine, but this more akin to "school shootings are a problem, so we are going to suspend any first-graders who make a finger-gun and say 'bang'".

Maybe this is being taken out of proper context, but an actual rule of "no jokes" is just hilariously misguided.

I mean, just from a general narrative standpoint, humor is an excellent way to manage the tone and tension of your film. The inclusion of humor can make your drama more dramatic by establishing contrast.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    It is not a good time to be a DC fan.

(Green) Arrow and the Flash.

I stand by my statement.

HERESY!

• Thorn413Thorn413 Registered User regular
    I think it is much more likely that the memo is meant to discourage their employees from doing things like retweeting parodies/jokes about their movies rather than outlawing any levity or humor in the movies themselves.

If there are absolutely no jokes whatsoever in BvS I will eat a shoe...

...And by eating me shoe I mean that I'll sob profusely and while watching reruns of the Brave and the Bold.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I mean, even The Dark Knight Batman Begins had "It's a black.......... tank," fer chrissakes.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    Kyougu wrote: »

I don't get this.

Cap2 (or maybe IM3) is probably the most serious of the MCU films. In general, they don't have slapstick and aren't outright comedies, but most of them are fairly light-hearted. Avengers is basically a big party on-screen, and everyone is clearly having a good time, despite the high stakes. Let's say the MCU films are, as a class, upbeat. There are lots of laugh lines in those films.

• Thorn413Thorn413 Registered User regular
    I think that particular one was Begins, but TDK had humorous moments. Even some of the Joker's stuff...well I wouldn't call it funny exactly but there were some moments that evoked a kind of stunned laughter ("I'm gonna make this pencil disappear", "We're holding tryouts", harmless smoke grenade in that one guy's mouth).

Well, the whole point of the Joker was this crazy, manic energy and extremely black humor. You can't do the Joker without humor of some sort.

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    DC excels in animation and television.

Why does actual movie making seem to escape them so badly? O_o

Warner Brother is pretty famous for running its separate divisions as individual companies, to the point that they not only bill each other for services but also aggressively compete internally. That's why you don't have the same seamless integration between the comics side and film side that Marvel has.

Even DC's digital-only comics and print comics are separate divisions. Until recently, they were even headquartered on different coasts.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014

I don't get this.

Cap2 (or maybe IM3) is probably the most serious of the MCU films. In general, they don't have slapstick and aren't outright comedies, but most of them are fairly light-hearted. Avengers is basically a big party on-screen, and everyone is clearly having a good time, despite the high stakes. Let's say the MCU films are, as a class, upbeat. There are lots of laugh lines in those films.

That's because Marvel understands the idea of contrast. Including light-heartedness and humor means that when serious shit goes down it has a way bigger impact and vice versa.
    A prime example being GotG's opening.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

I don't get this.

Well it is a comic book, you'd think that'd be the idea behind a live action comic book.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

I don't get this.

Well it is a comic book, you'd think that'd be the idea behind a live action comic book.

DC comics, as a whole, have not been upbeat since the 1980s. Marvel has always had the lighter tone (X-Men excepted) but grim has become the default tone of DC since at least The Watchmen.

• BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I mean, even The Dark Knight Batman Begins had "It's a black.......... tank," fer chrissakes.

annnd now you've reminded me of the stupid guy riding shotgun during the Dark Knight's truck chase. I fucking hate him.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited August 2014

I don't get this.

"On your left..."

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Harbringer197Harbringer197 Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »

I don't get this.

That's because Marvel understands the idea of contrast. Including light-heartedness and humor means that when serious shit goes down it has a way bigger impact and vice versa.
    A prime example being GotG's opening.

now that I think about I should've had tonal whiplash it was such a good scene it really didn't matter.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I posted this in the SE thread, but the difference between Marvel and DC is that Marvel gets that people use humor as a coping mechanism; they play it up in their stories and it winds up being funny and humanizing. Thus they can deal with grim subject matter while remaining relatively light.

Meanwhile DC seems to want its stories to all be The Dark Knight; they can still be good or uplifting stories, but they always have to be emotionally exhausting. The problem with that approach is that when it doesn't work it really doesn't work and you get Man of Steel, a film where you ultimately don't really find anything worth caring about.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    That's true.

Even in Green Lantern, which I didn't think was as bad as others thought (it was just really mediocre) there wasn't that much humor, or coping humor. Reynolds uses humor in that more cynical way. Oh this stupid lantern thingie, I'm totes cooler than this even though I'll make a hot wheel ramp for a car.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    DC comics, as a whole, have not been upbeat since the 1980s. Marvel has always had the lighter tone (X-Men excepted) but grim has become the default tone of DC since at least The Watchmen.

That's the sad thing. When a generally funny/silly hero like Booster Gold has a serious moment, you REALLY feel it.

Coulson was almost entirely used as a friendly/joking character and then when they offed him, it was like being punched in the nuts.

Meanwhile in DC land, NO ONE is sad that Superman's jerk dad died. Despite them forbidding jokes and everything!

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    The Superman Animated Series did a much better job of fleshing out Krypton and developing the characters than MoS in about the same amount of time. It was really sad when Krypton exploded in Superman: TAS. No one cared when Krypton exploded in MoS, not even the Kryptonians.

• WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    It's kinda bad for DC at this point that even if it's just a rumor, DC's direction makes this rumor too believable.

... It is a rumor, right?

• YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular

I don't get this.

DC comics, as a whole, have not been upbeat since the 1980s. Marvel has always had the lighter tone (X-Men excepted) but grim has become the default tone of DC since at least The Watchmen. Swamp Thing

Fixed that for you.

• Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    It's kinda bad for DC at this point that even if it's just a rumor, DC's direction makes this rumor too believable.

what rumour are we talking about?

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »

No jokes in future DC movies.

• ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »

No jokes in future DC movies.
    Last week was about the fifth time I've heard that there is a mandate at Warner Bros. regarding any of the DC superhero films in development, and it's very simple and direct and to the point.

"No jokes."

It would seem like a crazy rule to set for an entire series of films. How can you know what the tone is for every story you'll be telling in a series before you've even started telling it? The thing is, DC has taken a few stabs at establishing this larger universe on film, and they've gotten smacked down for everything that hasn't had Batman in it. "Man Of Steel" made money, and I'm certainly not the only person to like the film. I may be one of its more ardent defenders, but I'm not alone. I think you'd have a far harder time finding someone to defend "Green Lantern," the studio's other big attempt at launching one of the core Justice League characters with a film franchise of his own.

Look at the reaction to Chris Pratt now that he's made the jump to a lead in the biggest film of the summer. He's the guy studios dream of when they dream of new young movie stars. A sense of humor seems like an essential club to have in the golf bag, right?

Not according to Warner/DC. Not after "Green Lantern."

Now, to be fair, no one has directly connected those dots for me. But something has caused this shift in the overall editorial voice of the DC superhero movies. There's got to be a point behind an edict as broad and as specific as that.

But if "No Jokes" is a reaction to "Green Lantern," an edict that comes from a desire to simply do things differently from Marvel, it could really paint DC's movies into a corner, and I would imagine that it's giving some filmmakers pause in considering whether or not they'd want to make a DC movie.

While I thought there were some gentle pokes at genre fans in "Man Of Steel," there's nothing in that film that I'd call a joke. There were set-ups and punch-lines in the Nolan Batman films, but I wouldn't really describe those movies as "funny" in any significant way. "Green Lantern" is the one film where they really gave a character permission to talk shit in the Tony Stark manner, fast and funny and self-aware, and where audiences seemed to love it when Robert Downey Jr. did it, they did not seem as smitten with Reynolds.
    http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captured/why-dcs-serious-superman-may-give-marvel-the-big-screen-edge

• Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    and i here i thought the 'no jokes' thing was just presumed because that's how DC movies have been lately. didn't realise there as wan actual mandate that they be completely devoid of humour. that really is incredibly short sighted and sad.

• JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    YraAWxr.png

• SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    The Superman Animated Series did a much better job of fleshing out Krypton and developing the characters than MoS in about the same amount of time. It was really sad when Krypton exploded in Superman: TAS. No one cared when Krypton exploded in MoS, not even the Kryptonians.

Honestly, I disagree. The Krypton part was the most compelling story in the movie for me and I thought it made Zod a believable villain. They just didn't do a good job of making us realise why Earth made Superman a Super Man.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
    edited August 2014
    Archangle wrote: »
    While I thought there were some gentle pokes at genre fans in "Man Of Steel," there's nothing in that film that I'd call a joke. There were set-ups and punch-lines in the Nolan Batman films, but I wouldn't really describe those movies as "funny" in any significant way. "Green Lantern" is the one film where they really gave a character permission to talk shit in the Tony Stark manner, fast and funny and self-aware, and where audiences seemed to love it when Robert Downey Jr. did it, they did not seem as smitten with Reynolds.

"Okay, you said you like cake. So I bought you a cake. It's called a, umm, a urinal cake. I think it's Russian, or something. Oh, what, you don't like it? Okay, note to self, don't buy any more cake."

edit: Is there any reason Seth Rogan would have insight into the DC-related executive decisions at WB?

ElJeffe on
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    What does Seth Rogen have to do with the DCMU?

• JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    He's a producer on the AMC Preacher series although I dont know if that would give him any insight into the movie stuff.

Jeedan on
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Green Hornet?

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Green Hornet?

Not DC.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Didn't the Green Hornet own a newspaper or something? So Rogen knows all about journalism and has sources and shit. So that's how he knows it's BS.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    haha, Seth Rogen knows probably about as much as we do when it comes to DC's movie division.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    To be fair, Rogan might have some sort of industry knowledge that makes the story sound highly implausible, even if he doesn't have SOOPER SECRET insider contacts.

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Seth Rogan to play Luthor's wacky henchman CONFIRMED

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
This discussion has been closed.