As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Melding Presents: How to Kill Some Monsters

• Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    Dealing with Ogre Magi is a hard task because they're blessed by a goddess of luck so odds on stuff that can go wrong will

I honestly advocate planning as little as possible when dealing with them, because if it can go wrong it will, so you might as well go with the flow

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    JohnHam wrote: »
    Freelance monster hunters are always in need of consumer support, so don't hesitate to reach out. Popular sites include Batreon (for ongoing support) and IndieGoGhost (for larger individual hunts or projects).

Just want to chime in and point out that, despite its name, IndieGoGhost is not a licensed ghost investigative and elimination service. Their methods do not result in permanent removal of a spirit. They do fine with other, non-specter, creatures but for all your ghost hunting needs you should always turn to the professionals.

Okay, break over, it sounds like this class vi is almost done with the upstairs hall.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    How many monsters per square kilometer is Australia home to?

Black widows?
    White widows?
    Electric scissorbees?

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular

Black widows?
    White widows?
    Electric scissorbees?

Kangaroos

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Gnolls

44513478.jpg

Gnolls are large human like, hyena sorta creatures. They tend to live in packs, use rudimentary arms and armour, and are hyper aggressive. Genetically they are not a close relative to humans despite their appearance, it is believed they spawned from some unholy cross breed between an ape and a spotted hyena as liek the spotted hyena females tend to be larger than males and typically rule the pack. It is not certain what other physical similarities they share beyond this though.

As a group they tend to be intelligent hunters, though do not seem to mimic primitive man, but instead have advanced their more animal hunting behaviour, using weapons instead of claws. However, due to modern technology, they are not too dangerous to deal with in the wild, as their waning population and primitive weapons leave them vulnerable to human attack.

What is starting to happen however, is people with questionable morals kidnapping packs and then using them as an attempt to breed some sort of super soldier, believe that a man animal hybrid to be superior to humans if trained and brought up correctly. This, hasn't paid off too much, as they are in fact a bit more fragile than a comparable human, but a gnoll with a machine gun is to be considered at least as dangerous as a human with a machine gun, intent on killing you.

• Options
    Update:

We have successfully bound the demon in a first edition of Dickens's A Christmas Carol as we thought the positive character change would help make the demon more controllable.

Anytime we open the book an otherworldly voice rasps, "Sccrrrrooooooggggeeee." So that is a neat bonus.

• Options
    JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    Update:

We have successfully bound the demon in a first edition of Dickens's A Christmas Carol as we thought the positive character change would help make the demon more controllable.

Anytime we open the book an otherworldly voice rasps, "Sccrrrrooooooggggeeee." So that is a neat bonus.

Have you considered selling the book on the secondary market? I'm not familiar with how stable these seals tend to be, so I suppose it could be a liability.

Still; in this economy we all need to be cognizant of alternate revenue streams.

signature.png

• Options
    IsoldaeIsoldae Hats Off To JigglypuffRegistered User regular
    How do you kill a dracula?

xet8c.gif
  • Options
    Update:

See, neat party trick. We had one bound to an old music book that played spooky music when you opened it. That was fun.

Just remember this isn't a permanent solution, so get viral on youtube now!

• Options
    Isoldae wrote: »
    How do you kill a dracula?

The common vampire isn't too difficult to dispatch. Despite common myth, stabbing a vampire in the heart with anything is enough to stop it temporarily. However, once the object is removed the vampire will reanimate. The best way to kill a vampire is once stabbing in the heart decapitate it, and then burn the body. Do not remove the object you stabbed them with until after you start burning ht ebody, just in case the vampire has enough power left to try to re-attach it's head.

alternitively just leavign it out int he sun will wokr too, but runs into a lot of problems of uncertainty.

If you mean actual Dracula, near as we can tell, dude keeps coming back no matter how you kill my. Agent Lee has put that guy down more than half a dozen times and still he keeps coming back.

If you have any information on Dracula, please contact your local monster authority. Any information on Dracula might be helpful.

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    What's the deal with Mr. Mimes and Mime Jrs? Are regular mimes involved in their creation?

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    What's the deal with Mr. Mimes and Mime Jrs? Are regular mimes involved in their creation?

i don't know but those things weird me the hell out.

• Options
    JohnHam wrote: »
    Update:

Have you considered selling the book on the secondary market? I'm not familiar with how stable these seals tend to be, so I suppose it could be a liability.

Still; in this economy we all need to be cognizant of alternate revenue streams.

Well at the moment it keeps flipping open to the "decrease the surplus population" part so we figure it isn't too stable. Our plan is to suspend it over a tank of positively charged ectoplasm while we research this sucker. We figure there had to be some summoning involved so we are heading back in the morning to turn the place over and put the screws to the owners. Ten to one it's probably some brat teens found an old book in that library.

If we can get a place of origin we should be able to get a detailed read on the dimension from Tobin's and cross reference that with the Spates Catalog to get a frequency. Then we can use a tuned trap to force a hole and shove the demon back through.

Or we rip a hole in the fabric of reality.

Again.

Nothing to worry about. We're professionals.

• Options
    This is why i keep to corporeal things. Ain't got to worry if killing with troll is going to end civilization as we know it. All you gotta worry about is it trying to rip your head off to eat your marrow.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Illustrious MRE:

How exactly do I tell the difference between vampires and zombies?

I am currently trapped in what seems to be a post apocalyptic city-scape, with only my dog to keep me company. The creatures I am dealing with seem to only come out from their dens at night, but the also are not capable of speech as far as I can tell, and yet there seems to be rudimentary organization. Should I bother gathering leftover garlic cloves from abandoned groceries?

• Options
    Melding wrote: »
    This is why i keep to corporeal things. Ain't got to worry if killing with troll is going to end civilization as we know it. All you gotta worry about is it trying to rip your head off to eat your marrow.

You get used to it the longer you carry a nuclear accelerator on your back.

Also the pay is pretty good and you get all the nestle crunch that you can eat!

• Options
    Joolander wrote: »
    Illustrious MRE:

How exactly do I tell the difference between vampires and zombies?

I am currently trapped in what seems to be a post apocalyptic city-scape, with only my dog to keep me company. The creatures I am dealing with seem to only come out from their dens at night, but the also are not capable of speech as far as I can tell, and yet there seems to be rudimentary organization. Should I bother gathering leftover garlic cloves from abandoned groceries?

This sounds like an omegaman class event. This is likely due to a viral outbreak of a super natural origin, and therefore the resulting creatures are neither zombies or vampires. They're something else and likely just as scared of you, as you are of them. I suggest attempting to make contact, perhaps leave an offering, or a message pantomimed by mannequins. Failing this, conventional weapons and UV light should ward them off as you plan for an escape. And I do recommend escape over eradication, at least until you can come back with others in force.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Dear Dr. Melding

Have you considered offering an alternative advice column on how to date monsters instead of how to kill them

This would require me to know anything about dating. Which I don't. At all.

ever.

Also, that'd be super gross. you realize most monsters are just like souped up animals right?

do you want a guide on how to date a dog? I think that's illegal.

how dare you

my werewolf girlfriend is every bit as human as you or me 29 days out of the month

i can't believe i'm still reading this kind of casual bigotry in the year 2014.

• Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Melding I am looking for an identification of a monster race

It was in the D&D third edition epic level handbook

They were outsiders, I thought, and were distantly related to elves or something

like if you take all the wonderment and mythos that other races (like humanity) have surrounding elvish customs and traditions and the complexity and beauty of their language and arts, and then convert that into a metaphor, these guys would be the elves' equivalent to elves

they were totally badass

and I can't remember what they were called

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular

Black widows?
    White widows?
    Electric scissorbees?

There's also Parliament to consider.

• Options

Black widows?
    White widows?
    Electric scissorbees?

a parliament of bat-wombats?????? that's a lot of bat-bats!!

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Huntera wrote: »

Black widows?
    White widows?
    Electric scissorbees?

a parliament of bat-wombats?????? that's a lot of bat-bats!!

Bats are definitely my least-favourite winged creature (which is saying a lot) so I shudder at the thought of them becoming more powerful.

• Options
    Melding I am looking for an identification of a monster race

It was in the D&D third edition epic level handbook

They were outsiders, I thought, and were distantly related to elves or something

like if you take all the wonderment and mythos that other races (like humanity) have surrounding elvish customs and traditions and the complexity and beauty of their language and arts, and then convert that into a metaphor, these guys would be the elves' equivalent to elves

they were totally badass

and I can't remember what they were called

leshay

• Options

Black widows?
    White widows?
    Electric scissorbees?

Not to mention funnel web and redback spiders, jack jumpers, all manner of sharks, box jellyfish, venomous snakes, numerous species of highly aggressive stinging insects, saltwater crocodiles, etc etc etc

• Options
    I love (most of) our wildlife so much.

• Options
    If Earth was the setting of a JRPG Australia would be the locale surrounding the final dungeon

• Options
    If somebody sighted one of Final Fantasy's behemoth's in Australia I would not be the least bit surprised

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular

Black widows?
    White widows?
    Electric scissorbees?

http://youtu.be/zBVNOrV0Pr4

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Dear Dr. Melding

Have you considered offering an alternative advice column on how to date monsters instead of how to kill them

ever.

Also, that'd be super gross. you realize most monsters are just like souped up animals right?

How souped up do I have to get before I graduate to monster status?

Asking for a friend.

broken image link
  • Options
    Dear Dr. Melding

ever.

how dare you

my werewolf girlfriend is every bit as human as you or me 29 days out of the month

i can't believe i'm still reading this kind of casual bigotry in the year 2014.

First: unless you're doing stuff while she's all wolfed out, you're dating a human. Two, lycanthropy is a treatable condition, and not genetic. These are things worth investigating.
    Dear Dr. Melding

ever.

How souped up do I have to get before I graduate to monster status?

Asking for a friend.

Well, dire bear is a pretty entry grade monster for you to aim for, however, i suggest getting eagle wings for your size and a tail that ends in the head of some kind of venomous animal.

erh, uh, your friend.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    she self-identifies as a monster and i'd thank you to respect that

• Options
    she self-identifies as a monster and i'd thank you to respect that

Alright fine. But i would still look into treatment cause you know, the whole murders a bunch of people every full moon.

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Does the stare of a gorgon work through a live camera feed?

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    Does the stare of a gorgon work through a live camera feed?

This matters on a number of factors. Over broadcast? no. Looking through an old film camera? sometimes, due to mirrors and what not. Digital camera? no.

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    If Earth was the setting of a JRPG Australia would be the locale surrounding the final dungeon

Very much disagree, Australia is the optional dungeon you go to get your ultimate weapon. Where everything can one shot you if your not 99 and fire tornadoes are random encounters

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Dear MRE,

The other day a friend of mine confided in me that his mother was actually a Sylph. I doubted him at first until he summoned a gust of wind in the living room and floated onto a cloud he materialized underneath him. I have never met this woman and always assumed he was the result of a single parent home. Should I believe this claim, or assume either some magics or illusions are taking place?

Throwing caution to the wind in Maryland

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Is there much value for gnoll pelts?

• Options
    the end dungeon is probably like

in the Congo or Amazon rain forests where you get to see all of this crazy ass stuff living in a magical bright place

possibly Madagascar, that place has some crazy geography like a god damn stone forest

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Dear MRE,

If one was so inclined to build a robot powered by 1,000 ghosts, just ya know, as a thought experiment. What would be some benefits of said spectral power source? Also, do what are the labor laws regarding ghost and robots?

• Options
    Is there much value for gnoll pelts?

well they aren't super high quality, but they look cool if you're in the mood for hyena pelt coats or cloaks or capes