As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Smash Bros.: Unofficial roster is out; demo on September 19th.

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    I only say to wait a little while so everyone has a chance to find a bunch of different items and abilities, ensuring everyone's Mii is unique.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    plufim wrote: »
    I only say to wait a little while so everyone has a chance to find a bunch of different items and abilities, ensuring everyone's Mii is unique.

My Hitler is gonna be better than your Hitler.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    I think there's someone here who mentioned that they're very sensitive to the hitler miis

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    I think there's someone here who mentioned that they're very sensitive to the hitler miis

Let's say Stalin then.

Anyway, someone on Reddit cleaned up the leaked roster and made it look a little nicer:

QvHrByH.png

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »

Let's say Stalin then.
    Mussolini?

You know, to keep it Italian.

• Options

Let's say Stalin then.

Anyway, someone on Reddit cleaned up the leaked roster and made it look a little nicer:

QvHrByH.png

Wouldn't mii fighter bring it to 50 squares

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular

Let's say Stalin then.

QvHrByH.png

Honestly, if we get no one else...I'm more than ok with this roster. I don't even mind the clone corner.

I'll miss Wolf, because it was nice to have another villain represented, but even then I'm loving this roster.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options

Let's say Stalin then.

QvHrByH.png

Mii Fighter replaces the random icon when customization is turned on.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    That was me. Just as long as nobody uses one against me its fine.
    I just find the whole idea of making light of a mass murderer offensive.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Wish I could get a copy of the Petch and Lonk streetpass Miis to use in Smash.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    That was me. Just as long as nobody uses one against me its fine.
    I just find the whole idea of making light of a mass murderer offensive.

I'm with Mel Brooks in this one. As long as you're mocking the murderer and not his victims, you're damaging his or her's desired power to create fear and respect.

• Options
    edzepp wrote: »

They're probably not gonna show a newcomer trailer as those have always been "international". I'm guessing they're gonna show a 3DS-specific launch trailer.

• Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    EDIT: Never mind. It's not anything.

edzepp on
  • Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular

Let's say Stalin then.

QvHrByH.png

Why would it do that? Why do some people think that? Where did this info even come from? What do you do if you actually want to use a random character when customizations are on? Mii Fighters aren't exactly the same.

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    Cokomon wrote: »

Let's say Stalin then.

QvHrByH.png

Why would it do that? Why do some people think that? Where did this info even come from? What do you do if you actually want to use a random character when customizations are on? Mii Fighters aren't exactly the same.

Well, I can kind of see the thought process that would go into disabling random selection with customizations active, though it depends on how customizations are equipped. Basically the line of thought had to be "if you don't know what character you have you wouldn't know what to equip", and unlike palutena it seems miis don't even have a default moveset.

CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    Cokomon wrote: »

Let's say Stalin then.

QvHrByH.png

It's not 100% guaranteed yet, just an educated guess. We do know however that they can't be played when customization is turned off.

Basically the reasoning is that there is no clear "default" Mii Fighter - first of all, there are three distinct Mii Fighters with entirely different movesets. Also, they rely heavily on the Mii you're using, both in appearance and in properties (the Mii's height and weight affects the Mii Figher's weight and speed).

There's also the matter of their custom moves - the Mii Fighters not only have 12 distinct special moves like Palutena, their special moves also aren't all strictly tied to one of the four directions.

I suppose there could be a default Mii Brawler, Swordfighter and Gunner, but that would kinda defeat the point of the character. I dunno, it's not set in stone yet, but it's definitely possible that you can't play random with Mii Fighters.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    All Random does is pick a square and click on it for you, I don't see any reason they would replace it.

• Options
    That's what it did in melee but in brawl it kept you as random until the match started

CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edzepp wrote: »
    They're probably not gonna show a newcomer trailer as those have always been "international". I'm guessing they're gonna show a 3DS-specific launch trailer.
    Because the leak was from foreign nations, Smash is now a Japanese-only release.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Well, the Direct is Japan only, but looks like the rest of the world is getting something too. Derek from GameXplain confirmed that Nintendo is holding a closed media event at PAX with a new build of the game.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    So I'm excited for this but have only been loosely following it because fuck, I know I'm getting it along with all of my friends on the 3DS and it's a few months out so I didn't really worry.

But I just heard about a (uh a thing. That may be forbidden.) on the Giantbomb podcast. Looking back over the last ten pages or so, there has been so much misinformation that the casual observer has no idea what is actually going to be in this game from all this.

But seriously
    The duck hunt dog? The fuck?

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    So I'm excited for this but have only been loosely following it because fuck, I know I'm getting it along with all of my friends on the 3DS and it's a few months out so I didn't really worry.

But I just heard about a (uh a thing. That may be forbidden.) on the Giantbomb podcast. Looking back over the last ten pages or so, there has been so much misinformation that the casual observer has no idea what is actually going to be in this game from all this.

But seriously

It's really not any weirder than Mr. Game & Watch or ROB.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I know that it's basically impossible, but I really hope that customization winds up being at least a sideshow on the competitive circuit. The fact that you could have two players bring the same character, but with such different customizations that they handle completely differently, just makes it feel like there would be infinite potential for each competitor to bring their unique style to the table.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    I know that it's basically impossible, but I really hope that customization winds up being at least a sideshow on the competitive circuit. The fact that you could have two players bring the same character, but with such different customizations that they handle completely differently, just makes it feel like there would be infinite potential for each competitor to bring their unique style to the table.

Yeah. It'll be a lot more work, but I hope Nintendo tries to keep it all balanced.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    I'm strongly in favor of enabling customization for any kind of matches or tournaments we'll organize here among us.

• Options
    Assuming Smash 4 is accepted by the competitive community, I expect they'll ban certain specials on top tier characters if they get out of hand. But it's actually a good thing to have that choice available because it gives the weaker characters more chances at being competitive with the right specials.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    Assuming Smash 4 is accepted by the competitive community, I expect they'll ban certain specials on top tier characters if they get out of hand. But it's actually a good thing to have that choice available because it gives the weaker characters more chances at being competitive with the right specials.

I'm OK with a small amount of bans, but I hope Nintendo embraces the competitive community and works to limit the necessity of bans

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    kime wrote: »

I'm OK with a small amount of bans, but I hope Nintendo embraces the competitive community and works to limit the necessity of bans

It would be great if Nintendo did proper balance patches but I don't dare get my hopes up for that. Much like I won't expect the netcode to be better than Brawl's until I see it firsthand.

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular

But seriously

Duck Hunt dog didn't have a terribly infamous, useless peripheral, and it wasn't literally one of the things that got Nintendo started.

Same goes for Pacman.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014

But seriously

Duck Hunt dog didn't have a terribly infamous, useless peripheral, and it wasn't literally one of the things that got Nintendo started.

Same goes for Pacman.

He launched a peripheral and was on the same cart as Super Mario Brothers.

For a lot of kids who owned an NES he is literally as closely associated with it as Mario is himself.

Winky on
  • Options

But seriously

Same goes for Pacman.

Can't tell if you're agreeing with him or not, but Duck Hunt has a famous not-useless peripheral and it absolutely was one of the things that got Nintendo started alongside Super Mario Bros. It's easily one of the most beloved games on NES, certainly moreso than stuff like Ice Climber and Kid Icarus.

• Options

But seriously

Same goes for Pacman.

Can't tell if you're agreeing with him or not, but Duck Hunt has a famous not-useless peripheral and it absolutely was one of the things that got Nintendo started alongside Super Mario Bros. It's easily one of the most beloved games on NES, certainly moreso than stuff like Ice Climber and Kid Icarus.

That peripheral wasn't really a Duck Hunt thing. That's like saying the Wii mote is a Zelda: Skyward Sword thing. Whereas Rob is a Rob thing :P

steam_sig.png

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular

But seriously

Same goes for Pacman.

That peripheral wasn't really a Duck Hunt thing. That's like saying the Wii mote is a Zelda: Skyward Sword thing. Whereas Rob is a Rob thing :P

I would argue that most people associate the light gun with Duck Hunt actually. It's pretty iconic.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

But seriously

Same goes for Pacman.

I would argue that most people associate the light gun with Duck Hunt actually. It's pretty iconic.

I always associated it with Gumshoe growing up.

Loved that game.

Duck Hunt wasn't until I got older.

Now I want Mr. Stevenson from Gumshoe to show up.

• Options

But seriously

Same goes for Pacman.

But there's actually quite a few NES games that are, well, at least techincally, compatible with the Light Gun...

steam_sig.png

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited August 2014

But seriously

Same goes for Pacman.

But there's actually quite a few NES games that are, well, at least techincally, compatible with the Light Gun...

Certainly, but they didn't come packaged with Super Mario Bros.

One of my favorite light gun games were Wild Gunman and Hogan's Alley

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I don't see how they can Duck Hunt dog and not also bring in World Class Track Meet guy.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Kick Master, though.

• Options

There also talk of banning equipment for reasons of it's probably just grinding based and also the existence of attack-lowering items leading to infinites

CD World Tour status:
This discussion has been closed.