As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Foolproof is a certified mushroom expert! Ask him your questions in the [Food] thread

• NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    I just made homemade spaghetti and meatballs

everything from scratch from sauce to meatballs to homemade spaghetti

It took four hours

how the f did people do this back in the day

A member of the household would spend the entire day doing some combination of cooking, cleaning, laundering, and child-rearing.

brDe918.jpg
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    I've always fantasized about seeing exactly how far I can go into the "made from scratch" category...like growing my own wheat, grinding it into flour, making my own bread or pasta, etc.

Then I remember how it would be months of hard work and I'd eat it all in 10 minutes.

Still a really neat idea though!

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »

It took four hours

4 hours seems a little excessive unless you were cooking for 30 people or something?

Chopping up pounds of tomatoes, pureeng some, chopping mushrooms, onion, garlic, put on

Make meatball mixture, form into meatballs, brown each side, put in oven

Make dough, flatten into sheets, cut each sheet with knives 1000 times, Cook

Like I'm not a fast Cook but its a looot of steps

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    So we ate at this Italian place last night on Honolulu.

I ordered a five mushroom risotto. The waiter brought it out mostly finished and also a large parmesan cheese rind.

He used a blowtorch on the inside of the cheese, melting it a tiny bit, then put in the risotto and stirred it all around and then served it.

It was amazing.

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    my mother gives me these green apples she gets from her csa, and while they do taste good oh man is that first bite tart

• FoolproofFoolproof thats what my hearts become in that place you dare not look staring back at youRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Pasta machines or the hand roller that cuts the dough into multiple stripes would save a little time. I have lots but don't use it for foods but to make polymer clay sheets. I bet I could crank out some very nice noodles seeing as how I have spent so much time doing almost the same thing.

In my food news. I added golden chanterelle to the list of wild gathered mushrooms I've collected, cooked and eaten. If I was better and more confident about identification it would be a longer list. I am about to learn enough about some boletus mushrooms to start trying the hundreds of pounds of them I see popping up every few weeks. A great thing about mushrooms is how they dry well. I could see myself freezing or drying lots and lots once I know them and find a few favorites. Learning about wild gathered foods is engrossing and food preservation is around the corner once I can collect more than I can use right away.

Foolproof on
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Foolproof wrote: »
    Pasta machines or the hand roller that cuts the dough into multiple stripes would save a little time. I have lots but don't use it for foods but to make polymer clay sheets. I bet I could crank out some very nice noodles seeing as how I have spent so much time doing almost the same thing.

In my food news. I added golden chanterelle to the list of wild gathered mushrooms I've collected, cooked and eaten. If I was better and more confident about identification it would be a longer list. I am about to learn enough about some boletus mushrooms to start trying the hundreds of pounds of them I see popping up every few weeks. A great thing about mushrooms is how they dry well. I could see myself freezing or drying lots and lots once I know them and find a few favorites. Learning about wild gathered foods is engrossing and food preservation is around the corner once I can collect more than I can use right away.

The cutting was probably an hour of the time so yea I want one

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • RandomEncounterRandomEncounter Registered User regular

I ordered a five mushroom risotto. The waiter brought it out mostly finished and also a large parmesan cheese rind.

He used a blowtorch on the inside of the cheese, melting it a tiny bit, then put in the risotto and stirred it all around and then served it.

It was amazing.

Ooh, what was the place called? I'm going to be in hono soon and that sounds delicious

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

It was amazing.

Ooh, what was the place called? I'm going to be in hono soon and that sounds delicious

Arancino. It's right on Waikiki. Right across from this amazing looking Church with a copper roof they was amazing oxidized, if it was all shined up, it would be spectacular.

• TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular

The cutting was probably an hour of the time so yea I want one

There's no need for fancy gadgets. This can't be that hard to master. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOz5UZ4NutU

• nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    Getting excited, gonna make me and Weaver a stew tonight.

DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    High five nuka! I am making chicken and dumplings tonight. :D

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I got some chocolate covered espresso beans.

They are good.

High five nuka! I am making chicken and dumplings tonight. :D

ugghhh gimmme gimme gimme

• DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    It's only like a 22 hour flight from there to here. Come get some! I'll save you a big bowl. <3

that was the one food that I didn't get when I was back home.

Chicken and slippery dumplings.

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    It feels so good to be cooking more again. We moved about 3 weeks ago and it took a while to get unpacked and get the kitchen set up enough to cook much. And my pastry school internship had me assisting a number of visiting chefs for some special classes, so while I learned a great deal I wasn't making anything at school either. My long hours there have also been a big limiting factor on my ability to cook at home. Throw a 7 week old baby into the mix, and...

Enter Labor Day. A day off from work and my wife took the kids to visit her parents. Time to clean and unpack. Time to plan some meals. Time to shop. Monday night I was able to prep a pork butt to go in the crock pot the next morning, and Tuesday for dinner we had pulled pork with mashed potatoes and a red cabbage slaw I threw together. Tonight we're doing beef carbonnade with egg noodles and spinach.

At school I'm now assisting the chefs teaching one of the morning programs for a while, and have had time to make something most days for the last week and a half. The class I'm with is doing petits fours, so I've managed to work in hazelnut dacquoise cookies with a port and walnut cream, blueberry tartlets with streusel, espresso tartlets in chocolate sweet dough shells, madeleines, macarons with a mango-passion fruit filling and chocolate macarons with an Earl Grey ganache. I also got to make some killer quiche with one of the chefs, and I'm looking forward to repeating that as a dinner at home soon.

It really feels good to be cooking more again.

• RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    I know a spot where you can pick about 50 pounds of golden chantrelle in about an hour.

It gets absolutely amazing up there. They are fucking everywhere. Last time we went, we collected over 90 pounds among the six of us in about 30 minutes.

Its a pity I can't eat them. Developed a sensitivity to them over the years and I can't escape this weird moldy flavor that makes me gag.

8406wWN.png
  • DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    I have been on the road for awhile and have no food in my house. Tonight's Cocktails and Chilling might just include those two things and no food at all.

....still not a bad plan.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I made these guys this morning.

foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/breakfast-popovers-with-italian-sausage-recipe.html

Oh my god so good. I'll be browsing on these all weekend or until I eat them all.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • VicVic Registered User regular
    I know a spot where you can pick about 50 pounds of golden chantrelle in about an hour.

It gets absolutely amazing up there. They are fucking everywhere. Last time we went, we collected over 90 pounds among the six of us in about 30 minutes.

Its a pity I can't eat them. Developed a sensitivity to them over the years and I can't escape this weird moldy flavor that makes me gag.

I'm so jealous, none of my family's spots are anywhere near that yield. I can only hope that I'll be able to find my own hunting grounds once I get a car.

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Late night snacks:

Crusty chewy bread
    Normandy butter
    Gammon ham:
    Sandwich

Goodnight

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    My oldest son requested a breakfast buffet for dinner tomorrow night.

OKAY!

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    At 32 years old, I cooked my first sunny side up eggs today.

I knew it wasn't going to be a big deal or anything, but my ex never liked them that way so I never really had an excuse to try. I fried up three slabs of peppered bacon and used the leftover grease to set the whites of the eggs, the yolks of which I was surprisingly able to center. Covered the pan for a little bit and waited until the whites were nice and opaque and the yolks were firm to the touch.

They were delicious.

This is joshofalltrades checking in with shit he shouldn't be proud that he's just now accomplishing in his life.

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular

It took four hours

4 hours seems a little excessive unless you were cooking for 30 people or something?

Chopping up pounds of tomatoes, pureeng some, chopping mushrooms, onion, garlic, put on

Make meatball mixture, form into meatballs, brown each side, put in oven

Make dough, flatten into sheets, cut each sheet with knives 1000 times, Cook

Like I'm not a fast Cook but its a looot of steps
    I am a slow, slow chopper, and not having a mixing bowl with pasta attachments definitely slows things down. You get you some proper tools and you can shave at least an hour off of that.

knitdan wrote: »
    I made these guys this morning.

foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/breakfast-popovers-with-italian-sausage-recipe.html

Oh my god so good. I'll be browsing on these all weekend or until I eat them all.

Thank you for this

10342902_10152647732203279_6010581506807373865_n.jpg?oh=f43a0a7c56925620d48c8efd56f2d2ab&oe=548812E3&__gda__=1419962613_c0ef86cebc1786002fc1dc091f3b4c1b

• AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    i love popovers. eggy, airy, easy, and delicious.

made french-style scrambled eggs for the first time the other day, i liked it a lot more than i thought i would. blanched some spinach in the water underneath, and had it all in a pile with a dollop of cream cheese and some toast. pretty tasty, and super quick. the other things were done before the toast was, despite the toast starting first. gave the cream cheese a chance to get nice and soft in the heat.

• LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    So, I haven't been cooking much for myself or my family lately. Been a bit consumed by uni work.

But I got involved with the wellbeing team for a uni show, which basically involves keeping the cast members fed and satisfied. So, most nights we (that is, a rotating group of about 4-6 students) havve been cooking for about 40-50 people. And god damn you start to learn things about cooking and preparing food when that happens. I mean, the 3 heads who are in charge of organising the meals have been doing an absolutely bang up job of finding interesting recipes that can feed a whole lot of people, so we've had a few nice Indian curries, fajitas, paella, and a Vietnamese dish with vermicelli noodles, grilled meat and a lot of pickled carrot and white raddish, all grated by hand. And it's really goddam satisfying serving this stuff to a bunch of casties who are not expecting anything all that great, and just seeing their faces light up. Even the veterans are pleasantly surprised.

I feel like I've chopped enough onions, tho. It's probably been somewhere in the realm of about 30ish a night for quite a few nights in a row.

Atheraal wrote: »
    i love popovers. eggy, airy, easy, and delicious.

made french-style scrambled eggs for the first time the other day, i liked it a lot more than i thought i would. blanched some spinach in the water underneath, and had it all in a pile with a dollop of cream cheese and some toast. pretty tasty, and super quick. the other things were done before the toast was, despite the toast starting first. gave the cream cheese a chance to get nice and soft in the heat.

Next time I make em I'm going to use those cupcake holders to make cleanup easier.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Baking is alchemy. I have no idea how the popovers end up all light and puffy like that, as there's no baking soda involved. Maybe the blender adds some air into the mixture? I really have no idea, it just works.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    they've got loads of eggs. Eggs puff things up.

No.

Witches.

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Made chili today. Cooked for 6 hours.

Dat meat was like silk.

i don't blenderize my batter (blenderize my batter would be a great cooking-themed metal album name) so i think it's just the natural craziness of eggs.

Xaquin, that might not work as well as you hope. popovers are a bit like souffle, so not giving them a smooth greasy surface to climb up might make them just decide to stay dense. also you might end up with paper muffin tin liners inextricably grafted to your popovers, which sounds less than fun to eat. but try it with one, maybe i'm wrong!

my technique for making them come out clean and easy is to not just butter the tins generously, but also pour maybe a teaspoon or two of cooking oil in the middle of each tin. you slowly pour the batter into the middle of the pool of oil, and not only does it push the oil ahead of it as it fills, oiling the whole tin for you, it also leaves the oil in a ring around the edge at the top. in my experience that's the part that tends to stick, i assume because that's where the batter is touching both the metal tray and the hot oven air from the start. if you have aerosol cooking oil spray, that might work just as well, just doing the whole tray after you've buttered the tins.

No.

Witches.

fall_2.jpg

• FoolproofFoolproof thats what my hearts become in that place you dare not look staring back at youRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    017.jpg
    the lobster rolls and soup made with the wild lobster mushrooms I gathered was yummy. Not real pretty but I'm proud of how it turned out. The mushrooms stained the mayo yellow/orange like mustard. I need tips on seasoning the soup a bit or maybe just practice. Warming leftovers now so I can see how the flavors sat together.

Foolproof on
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Friends I have tried the pretzel crust pizza from Little Caesars. It is good.

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    Friends I have tried the pretzel crust pizza from Little Caesars. It is good.

I tried it, I thought it was just OK. Their cheese sauce could use some more flavor.

A local hibachi buffet that had really great tasting food got closed by the health department for 9 critical violations. Apparently there were cockroaches around the prepared food. I never personally saw anything like that but bleh bleh bleh.

But I'm also sad because man could those people cook.

so, I learned how to make pizza dough and sauce from scratch today ....

1604780_10152658742648279_6405738365586899749_n.jpg?oh=d7e9e6effc9d9784b7de5aae8e1dab62&oe=54CC40C0&__gda__=1422646277_e639b91df17549ce8d8391d70975cc74

10671358_10152658742683279_1570273278912170408_n.jpg?oh=bb06d4c812d17c45611a130cc48984bb&oe=54824A19&__gda__=1418339234_9ba44702da2e69d429139f51fbdde187

dear lord

Chicken, Pepperoni, and Onion white pizza.

The sauce has minced shallots, garlic, basil, and Parmesan cheese in it.

it is sin

017.jpg
    the lobster rolls and soup made with the wild lobster mushrooms I gathered was yummy. Not real pretty but I'm proud of how it turned out. The mushrooms stained the mayo yellow/orange like mustard. I need tips on seasoning the soup a bit or maybe just practice. Warming leftovers now so I can see how the flavors sat together.

Maybe some dry fried fennel seeds and a good dollop of salted butter.