As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Actual Webcomics Thread, And Its Evil Twin Brother, Homestuck

• Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »
    even shitty non-gaming media is held to a far higher standard than what passes for gaming media

the games journalism industry is essentially amateur enthusiasts at every level, and it shows

Maybe I watch too much political stuff. Come to think of it, the only VG stuff I normally read is reviews. I guess op ed stuff is super bad at times. That being said, how does one become a non amateur in terms of game reporting?

Get a journalism degree

Get experience writing for major publications, preferably outside of gaming

Factcheck your reports

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Also, on the subject of watches:
    the best watches from an objective standpoint, for your money, are G-Shocks. They're not particularly dress-y, but look good with street clothes and keep perfect time. Plus they come in a billion variants.

If you're into mechanical watches, Japanese mechanicals are a good bet for anywhere below $400, and as good as (if not better than) their Swiss counterparts at those prices. Seiko and Orient are particularly good. Quartz movement Japanese watches are nice too, but don't pay more than $300 for one, seriously.

Russian watches are junky but cheap and keep decent time if you make sure they're wound right. I wear one because it's durable as fuck.

If you want to buy a seriously nice watch, there's generally no mechanical difference between Swiss watches at $1000 and $5000 - just differences in brand name and casings

You hit serious diminishing returns in quality after the $7k mark and even then the only watches you really want should be well-made instead of flashy. Flashy expensive watches are duuuuuuuumb.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I consider a watch above $100 to be expensive.

Nothing wrong with a cheap digital.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    there are abundant examples of game publishers exerting influence on entities that cover the industry to an extent that would be immediately deemed unacceptable in the critical press for most any other form of media, to say nothing of the segments of the gaming press which are directly tied to publishing (xbox magazine etc.), or stuff like popular youtubers getting what amount to kickbacks.

it's not as though it's the only industry that was ever covered by yellow press, but because games are such a young medium a more reputable body of criticism hasn't really formed yet

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Essentially, at any price point above about $75 you can find watches which make for good jewelry, watches which are good time pieces, and watches which are interestingly engineered. The more you pay, the more perfectly those categories overlap.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I paid about $3 for a watch once.

It works intermittently, without warning.

• Options
    Madican wrote: »
    I consider a watch above $100 to be expensive.

Nothing wrong with a cheap digital.

Like I said, the objectively best watch you can buy is a G-Shock and those sell for as low as $50 depending on the model

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I paid about $3 for a watch once.

It works intermittently, without warning.

Twice a day, at least.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Shen wrote: »
    even shitty non-gaming media is held to a far higher standard than what passes for gaming media

the games journalism industry is essentially amateur enthusiasts at every level, and it shows

I don't know, I've found that I have a great deal of respect for the folks at Giant Bomb; Jeff Gerstmann is a really smart guy who has a lot of valuable insight into the industry. They may not be trying to do more than be a personality-driven site, but I hold them in higher regard than paparazzi, sensationalist headlines and toothless interviewers. Not to damn them with faint praise or anything.

I also like Giant Bomb! The games journalism industry has some extremely talented and devoted people in it who do very good work, but they're still amateurs with very little oversight or standards of journalistic integrity, even compared to paparazzi tabloids.

This isn't entirely the fault of the journos, of course, since the games industry itself is quite immature and kind of shitty, and their readership has always been a niche demographic, but the essential problem is very few games journalists are trained reporters in any sense and even fewer can claim much distance from their subject. It's kind of like the wargaming hobby magazines you still sometimes find in circulation from the heyday of the 1970s - few of the people writing articles on Napoleonic tactics boardgames were real journalists either, but the hobby wargaming community was tiny and the developers were often little more than amateurs themselves, working with cardboard cutouts and homemade boards, using the magazines to circulate self-published rulesets. It doesn't work so well when the subject of that kind of media is billion-dollar videogame corporations.

Most people in the industry are self-identified "gamers" and fanboys/girls of the subjects they cover. This is rarely very healthy from a journalistic standpoint.

Dongs Galore on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    one time I won a nice Fossil watch from a thing at work and then my dog chewed off the leather straps...

• Options
    literally the only reason I started wearing a watch was because I'm left-handed and I kept forgetting which side was left

• Options
    JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    My wife bought me a watch for Christmas so now i have to wear it.

The struggle is real.

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    Shen wrote: »

I don't know, I've found that I have a great deal of respect for the folks at Giant Bomb; Jeff Gerstmann is a really smart guy who has a lot of valuable insight into the industry. They may not be trying to do more than be a personality-driven site, but I hold them in higher regard than paparazzi, sensationalist headlines and toothless interviewers. Not to damn them with faint praise or anything.

I also like Giant Bomb! The games journalism industry has some extremely talented and devoted people in it who do very good work, but they're still amateurs with very little oversight or standards of journalistic integrity, even compared to paparazzi tabloids.

This isn't entirely the fault of the journos, of course, since the games industry itself is quite immature and kind of shitty, and their readership has always been a niche demographic, but the essential problem is very few games journalists are trained reporters in any sense and even fewer can claim much distance from their subject. It's kind of like the wargaming hobby magazines you still sometimes find in circulation from the heyday of the 1970s - few of the people writing articles on Napoleonic tactics boardgames were real journalists either, but the hobby wargaming community was tiny and the developers were often little more than amateurs themselves, working with cardboard cutouts and homemade boards, using the magazines to circulate self-published rulesets. It doesn't work so well when the subject of that kind of media is billion-dollar videogame corporations.

Most people in the industry are self-identified "gamers" and fanboys/girls of the subjects they cover. This is rarely very healthy from a journalistic standpoint.

I don't really see that much difference between that and say, the way TV shows and Movies are covered. Saying they have less oversight than paparazzi tabloids is a weird thing to say, i think it's probably the exact same amount at the end of the day.

Like it's bad, but not any worse than any other niche coverage of any other type of media.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I wear a watch because cell phones are forbidden inside my work's perimeter.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    When I was a kid I went to school wearing four watches because I wanted to be like a character from a book series called Spooksville.

The character wore four watches.

His nickname was Watch.

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    When I was a kid I went to school wearing four watches because I wanted to be like a character from a book series called Spooksville.

The character wore four watches.

His nickname was Watch.

Partnered with a character with four handhelds, nicknamed Game.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    imdointhisimdointhis I should actually stop doin' this. Registered User regular
    Web...comics?

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Whatchu babblin' about, son? This is the Game & Watch thread!

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    Prof. AwesomeProf. Awesome Registered User regular
    Posting a webcrumb
    iff11.jpg

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    20140911.jpg

Did you know you eat eight squirrels a year?

Wait, no, that's not it.

Also the perspective is weird and he goes from kinda skinny and lithe to looking surprisingly buff through the course of the page. Which is weird because Tom's usually pretty good at stuff like that (Natani definitely changes body types but that's to emphasize gender stuff).

Albino Bunny on
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    imdointhis wrote: »
    Web...comics?

jerkcity5705.gif

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Posting a webcrumb
    iff11.jpg

Skulduggery!

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I haven't worn a watch for a while, though I own some. Once I did have a supervisor tell me that if I had been in an interview with him while not wearing a watch, then he wouldn't have hired me because of the lack of watch.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    I feel naked without a watch, personally.

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Take off your watch and a dick just flops out.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    I haven't worn a watch for a while, though I own some. Once I did have a supervisor tell me that if I had been in an interview with him while not wearing a watch, then he wouldn't have hired me because of the lack of watch.

wtf

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Perhaps the supervisor was:

6xHs1dY.jpg

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    It's probably something about always knowing what time it is and him being too old or not techno-savvy enough to know that that's what a phone is for now.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    the interviewer was TDOT?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Cambiata wrote: »

wtf

He says, "I would wonder how you get anywhere on time!"

And I'm like: "The clock on my phone?"

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Now I'm getting an image of henchmen being turned away at the door to Clock King's hideout because they aren't carrying anything to keep time with.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    Now I'm getting an image of henchmen being turned away at the door to Clock King's hideout because they aren't carrying anything to keep time with.
    or they showed up 3 seconds late
    or 3 seconds early

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    whenever anyone asks me the time i say 'time you got a watch haha' then i get hit

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    there's a big hypothetical conversation you could have about the role of journalism in the entertainment industry and how that relates to the future of video games but it has nothing to do with the creeping contagion of radical feminism

a person who was not crazy would be able to separate out those discussions!

like why would a radical feminist ever be in a position of economic power, wouldn't they be way too busy smashing the corporate patriarchy

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    the clock king has like four henchmen and three of them are skinny dudes with computer science degrees

they just sit around playing with model trains all day

actually now i want to read a story where the clock king hijacks gotham's entire public transport system just so he can make it run on time for once

• Options
    that is a great idea for a clock king story, to the point that I will be surprised if that's never been done. But on the other hand I have no idea how many clock king stories have been printed. I only know anything about batman from the animated series.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    dc20140911.png
    The harem is all home!

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Oh man I got that Evan Dham print and uggggh it is so great. Can't wait to frame this orrery.

I also slipped some money into his tip jar, because his dog has some chest lumps that need removing :( If you like Vattu consider buying somethin' to support happy dogs.

I kept myself in check all day, because Little Elbasunu's formula is expensive as hell, but I think I could have picked up that FEZ Zine. It was gorgeous, and I was so worried about money I only bought the Print and the Yuko B9 book.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    fvkx7b.jpg

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    that is a great idea for a clock king story, to the point that I will be surprised if that's never been done. But on the other hand I have no idea how many clock king stories have been printed. I only know anything about batman from the animated series.

well technically clock king is a green arrow villain, and a founding member of the suicide squad

people mostly know him from batman because until recently green arrow shows weren't things that happened

though the most recent version of CK was a teen titans villain, but he was only really in one short storyline which was also terrible because teen titans

if he's shown up since new 52 I haven't heard about it

This discussion has been closed.