As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

EA Confirms MySims For Wii, DS

124»

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Kor wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    No, you have to make seperate towns and they'll never interact with each other.

I got the game and... well, just looking at the manual there really doesn't seem to be much to do in the game. Just build stuff to certain specifications. And you only get to make ONE sim, yourself. I'll try it tonight but I'll be surprised if this doesn't end up going back.

I don't think you could tell anything by looking thru the manual... its like 6 pages long.

I can tell quite a bit from looking in the manual. It's only six pages long because there's not much to do. You build stuff and you run around collecting different colors to put on the stuff you build. That's about it.

Thats what I'm saying... Thats NOT it.

And literally, 6 pages. as in;

Page 1 - Licensing
    Page 2 - Table of contents
    Page 3 - Don't turn off your power while saving
    Page 4 - Actual Information
    Page 5 - Credits
    Page 6 - Backside of the cover

If you really think thats all there is to the game, I'm curious how many copies of Alpha Centauri you bought.

Then tell me what is in the game other then what I've said.

Magic Pink on
  • KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    What your saying, would be equivalent to stating "Animal Crossing doesn't have much to do, you just make money to pay off your ever increasing morgage."

What about drawing in a community, interacting with that community to earn yourself new blueprints?

What about the fact that you have control over every house in the town, instead of just your own?

Did you ever actually try going into your villagers houses and speak with them? like the Hotel? the Goth chick (I think everyone starts with her)?

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
    edited September 2007
    What your saying, would be equivalent to stating "Animal Crossing doesn't have much to do, you just make money to pay off your ever increasing morgage."

Except that's just wrong. There's mopre things to do in Animal Crossing and that's REFLECTED IN THE MANUAL.

What about drawing in a community, interacting with that community to earn yourself new blueprints?

The ONLY way to do this is by building stuff. Thus: you build stuff.
    What about the fact that you have control over every house in the town, instead of just your own?
    It's not required for anything and still: You buiild stuff.
    Did you ever actually try going into your villagers houses and speak with them? like the Hotel? the Goth chick (I think everyone starts with her)?

Gosh, no, I didn't bother to do the most basic thing in the game that the tutorial forces you to do! You're totally right!

Magic Pink on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    But can you collect fruit and eat it? Can you buy lots of unique items and populate every room with them? Do you need to take care of needs like eating, sleeping, pooping, social? Can you fish?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited September 2007

Except that's just wrong. There's mopre things to do in Animal Crossing and that's REFLECTED IN THE MANUAL.

I'm sorry, but if you truley think that that WHOLE game is in that single page of a manual...

...well... you're retarded. And nothing I post here can change that.

Kor on
    edited September 2007
    But can you collect fruit and eat it? Can you buy lots of unique items and populate every room with them? Do you need to take care of needs like eating, sleeping, pooping, social? Can you fish?

You can collect fruit, you can't eat it. Collecting anything is just getting Essences ie paint and textures.

You can't buy anything. You build stuff. Anything you want, granted.

There are no needs to be taken care of other then when people ask you to build stuff.

You can fish but, again, it just gives you Essences and it's just an extremely simple mini-game. You go to one pond, point at bubbles and press a button. No skill, no real variety, you get one of 4 possible Essences every time.

Magic Pink on
    edited September 2007

I'm sorry, but if you truley think that that WHOLE game is in that single page of a manual...

Obviously, because you have yet to prove me wrong. And thanks for the insult, that's real mature.

In any case, the point of the whole game is just building things. To that extenet there's a HUGE variety of stuff you can build but unless you REALLY get into building stuff the game is going to feel really shallow and simplistic.

Magic Pink on
    edited September 2007

Obviously, because you have yet to prove me wrong. And thanks for the insult, that's real mature.

You proved YOURSELF wrong!

You just said in the post above this one that you can fish.

Unless I'm missing a step... I don't see how Fishing <=> Building

Kor on
    edited September 2007

Wow.

Fishing is just collecting essences. You use essences to BUILD STUFF. Everything other then literally building stuff is ridiculously simple mini-games (if you can even call them mini games) that do nothing else then give you more stuff to build with. You are not going to spend all day fishing. You are not going to spend all day prospecting. You do it for maybe a minute and YOU'LL NEVER HAVE TO DO IT AGAIN. In Animal Crossing ( for example) you could fish all, year and still not get every fish.

Magic Pink on
    edited September 2007

Wow.

Fishing is just collecting essences. You use essences to BUILD STUFF. Everything other then literally building stuff is ridiculously simple mini-games (if you can even call them mini games) that do nothing else then give you more stuff to build with. You are not going to spend all day fishing. You are not going to spend all day prospecting. You do it for maybe a minute and YOU'LL NEVER HAVE TO DO IT AGAIN. In Animal Crossing ( for example) you could fish all, year and still not get every fish.

Yeah... and what did you do with the fish? Oh... thats right... you turned it into money... so you could get a bigger house...

And fishing in Animal Crossing isn't exactly Bass Fishing Pro AM 2008 or whatever.

Kor on
    edited September 2007

Yeah... and what did you do with the fish? Oh... thats right... you turned it into money... so you could get a bigger house...

And fishing in Animal Crossing isn't exactly Bass Fishing Pro AM 2008 or whatever.

OR turned them into the museum OR gave them as gifts OR kept them in your house. And it took a hell of a lot more skill then the fishing in Sims, that's for damn sure.

Look at it this way, if you choose not to build stuff or collect Essences in Sims, what else can you do? If you choose to not expand your house in Animal Crossing, what else can you do? You'll find the first question doesn't have an answer while the second has a list.

Magic Pink on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So I bought the game today, and I'm actually enjoying it. It took me forever to figure out that you don't build the walls to the house. You just put the blocks down and make a roof and enjoy!

I've played maybe 2-3 hours of it so far, and it is certainly fun.

EDIT: It feels pretty shallow, but the game is worth at LEAST a rent. It's a pretty fun time-wasting game (in the vein of Animal Crossing; As there's really no huge dynamic part of the game. You play at your leisure).

urahonky on
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, that's the feel I get too. It's certainly fun but I'm not sure how long it'll stay that way.

Magic Pink on
  • SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Just got MySims yesterday, and I'm really enjoying it. As I mentioned earlier, in normal Sims games I hate having to eat/sleep/pee all the time, when really I just want to goof around with my little people. The lack of maintenance tasks is great. I enjoy building, and I love that even the "townie" Sims have different interests and personalities from each other. I imagine I'll play a lot until I fully populate my town, then play occasionally to build stuff and/or start a new town to see what's different.

In conclusion, any game that makes my husband yell "Toooo cute! Argh, it burns!" is a win in my book.

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    MySims seems to be a good direction on a different townies games than Animal Crossing though - it seems to be very much a town-builder style game.

Hopefully, for the next iteration, they'll put in the chance to unlock new things or new events by building a certain way. For example, a certain waggle mini-game can be unlocked by building a house a certain way - or you can unlock a new location by building several buildings a certain way.

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • FireWeaselFireWeasel Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm surprised more people aren't talking about this one.

Sure, it's kinda "kiddy" in that there's not much to do beyond building stuff...but it's like a Wii-based Legoland! It works great if you toss out Animal Crossing or Sims expectations and accept it for what it is. Being able to dress up as an evil count while designing and building demonic cupboards is a bizarre, goofy kind of fun. Collecting essences doesn't feel too much like a grind (to me, anyway) and I like the weird sense of discovery you get when figuring out how to get different essences (I was a bit tickled when I figured out how to get the Scary essence).

Simplistic fun, but definitely some creative, good times nonetheless.

FireWeasel on
    AC:CL Wii -- 3824-2125-9336 City: Felinito Me: Nick
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm finding it highly addictive and great fun. Just don't think of it as Sims or Animal Crossing but instead Uber Cute Lego Land Town Builder. The flexibility of the furniture creator is really amazing.

They seem to be advertising it well and I can really see this selling like the proverbial hot cakes.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm really enjoying MySims. The game improved significantly after it sunk in that I don't have to follow blueprints. The challenge to the game is to make each house and piece of furniture look excellent and still follow the task and appeal to their tastes. I'm working on Cap'n Ginny's errands right now.

I think Animal Crossing has more to do overall, but MySims has more to do in one sitting. In MySims, you can choose who lives in your town, where they live, and what the interior and exterior of their house looks like, and you don't have to wait until the next day to do things.

I like Animal Crossing better but I think MySims is great too. I just hate the loading times and the lag.

Taya on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Yeah that's the only problem that I have: the loading. It sounds like my wii is having a seizure when I'm running around. I do, however, really enjoy this game though.

urahonky on
  • Mr_PeelMr_Peel Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So, when I first read about this game in Nintendo Power a few months ago, they mentioned the possibility of connectivity between the DS and Wii versions. Any evidence of connectivity in the final product?

Battle Revolution handled it so well. I'm interested to see how 3rd parties may do it.

Mr_Peel on
    Wii Code: 7511 8555 3568 9480[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Brawl: 3136 6048 0984
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    To steal a phrase from Dwarf Fortress, I love using thorns to make my furniture 'menace with spikes'.

No DS to Wii connectivity at all I'm afraid.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif