As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Actual Webcomics Thread, And Its Evil Twin Brother, Homestuck

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    OoT
    Man I never caught that that was the black drink he was taking, I thought he was just boozing it up. That explains a lot, actually.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    Is post con depression a thing?

What it is, from my own experience, is that if you're the right type of extroverted nerd, you can really enjoy the con atmosphere. Once your brain gets used to the overstimulation of being around a few thousand people (especially if those people are social or doing cool stuff - cosplay in particular seems to overload the brain, which is why anime cons and renaissance festivals seem to give me especially bad post-con depression) and doing stuff every single minute, going back to real life feels so slow that your brain craves the excesses of con life again. It can be exacerbated by the inevitable hangover, physical exhaustion, and sleep deprivation, plus con crud/flu (sickness spreading in the cramped spaces of a con happens sometimes) especially magnifies it. You get used to the PCD after a while but it never quite goes away. Conventions are psychologically addictive for people who enjoy the atmosphere. Especially anime cons.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    "depression" is probably putting it too strongly but going from a weekend of fun escapism back to the grind is definitely a bummer

Oh, definitely. Especially when you have a crap job like working retail or live in the middle of nowhere and don't get to actually participate in events like that regularly.

The year is 5 days of joy, 360 days of suck to try to pay off credit cards bills from those five days.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    I also think anime cons get me particularly PCD'd because the atmosphere is so social compared to most other kinds of cons I've been to. Helps that anime cons in my area of the east coast are a majority women, incredibly diverse at both racial and LGBT levels, and home to an excellent cosplay scene. Those factors mean that a lot of people are totally worth talking to.

A lot of other cons don't have that atmosphere, besides maybe the indie press cons like SPX I've been to. Gaming cons are most definitely still a majority straight white dudes, but the ones I've been to are much better than they even were four or five years ago. Even then, it seems like people go there for the games moreso than the social life, at least during the day. I don't know about the larger comic conventions at all in that regard.

• Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    i've missed spx the last...six years, now

something always comes up, moving, sickness, whatever

at least this year it was another convention in the way rather than catastrophe

vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • Options
    i've missed spx the last...six years, now

something always comes up, moving, sickness, whatever

at least this year it was another convention in the way rather than catastrophe

I couldn't have really afforded SPX this year (last year I got conspicuously consumerist there woops) but then I also decided to staff at the mini MAGFest on the other side of DC and I enjoyed that decision. They're a good con to work for, if not the best. Super organized staff and good people.

• Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    yep, i was at magfest

i'd honestly forgotten about spx until i saw a blurb about it in the post

i'll make it someday

vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    2014-09-08.jpg

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    The Comics Journal's column This Week In Comics once featured Kawaiikochan and did a bit of explaining. It's actually a really clever comic.

tcj.com/this-week-in-comics-82113-for-great-justice/

• Options
    8.5 was a fun little event and I hope they keep the fall event thing going because it's a good season for conventions. Plus it was a surprising number of people's first MAGFest event, which is crazy considering it was a tenth the size of MAGFest Prime and planned at the last minute without any real advertising

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    I imagine a part of the convention burnout is due to the nature of excitement. A good chunk of the enjoyment we get out of something is the anticipation of it, so the weeks leading up to a special event gives us a little joy high every time we remind ourselves of its approach. It becomes a presence that isn't there after the event finishes.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    2014-09-15-28p19.jpg
    Surely there will be nothing as bad as guns in THE NEGAZONE.

The Adventures of Dr. McNinja

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    pretty sure it's the latter, DP

getting mad at kelly or anything else from the onion is a weird thing to do

Recognizing something as satire doesn't mean you can't be offended by it or somehow feel negatively towards it.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    I also think anime cons get me particularly PCD'd because the atmosphere is so social compared to most other kinds of cons I've been to. Helps that anime cons in my area of the east coast are a majority women, incredibly diverse at both racial and LGBT levels, and home to an excellent cosplay scene. Those factors mean that a lot of people are totally worth talking to.

A lot of other cons don't have that atmosphere, besides maybe the indie press cons like SPX I've been to. Gaming cons are most definitely still a majority straight white dudes, but the ones I've been to are much better than they even were four or five years ago. Even then, it seems like people go there for the games moreso than the social life, at least during the day. I don't know about the larger comic conventions at all in that regard.

Especially when you're in a town or wherever where there's not many people with your interests and you feel like an outsider, it can be a hell of a social high to head to a convention where there's like, a thousand people who all get the same in-jokes and share the same interests.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    http://battlestudio.com/forge/

I like to make Forge sing Bohemian Rhapsody.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Advocate wrote: »

@crwth‌ doles out chastisment

I gave him one of mine!

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular

it is deffo a thing

you get to have a weekend full of booze and food and hanging out and having fun with your rad internet friends

and then you have to go back to your regular life with work and responsibilities and fewer party busses

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    If not con depression then con funk can definitely get those with weaker immune systems.

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Okay so... Here's a REALLY weird (NSFW!) comic.
    1410292657-ch_18_674.jpg
    Trying Human.
    It contains so much freaky stuff (human/alien procreation, gay lizard/jew couples, a prostitute special agent with a heart of gold etc.)
    The comic was started a long time ago, and is being reworked - so somewhere in the middle you get to see the old crappy art (and some of the writing is... blatantly teenaged in those parts) but the new art is gorgeous. I have mixed feelings about it but I'm definitely going to continue reading as it updates.
    Once again, it contains some NSFW pages http://tryinghuman.com/comic.php?id=1

Mayday on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2014
    The problem with Kelly is that his comics in a vacuum can be pretty offensive even if taken as parody. It's when you read them serially that you see Kelly as a sad, petty old man who is an underachiever in a dying medium but manages to have an inflated sense of self-worth.

On the other hand, many Kelly cartoons have been done sincerely by other political cartoonists, so maybe satire is dead.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

Really lets you get to know Kelly.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Trying Human seems pretty cool. I like that it is actually using UFO mythology, even the weird stuff.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    1 more page till new OP, will post a ridiculous question at the end to earn your disgust.

• Options
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Yessssss.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    what

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    1 more page till new OP, will post a ridiculous question at the end to earn your disgust.

How do I Homestuck?

vEaRQgH.png
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    are those supposed to be MP5s those guys are using in dr mcninja? they're drawn pretty hugely and it's bugging me

anyways spx was a lot of fun and I'll probably post more about it but I gotta get back to the grind as it were

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    are those supposed to be MP5s those guys are using in dr mcninja? they're drawn pretty hugely and it's bugging me

anyways spx was a lot of fun and I'll probably post more about it but I gotta get back to the grind as it were
    I bet he was using reference that didn't show scale properly, like pictures of the gun on a white background not being held by anyone.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    jerkcity5708.gif

• Options
    e2WtY2o.jpg
    dD6oyrx.jpg

Trying Human is pretty neat.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    ec20140915.png
    eeriecuties.com

I think Tia is a bit overconfident in thinking Lamia won't turn her attention to her.

• Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular

You guys act like Chris Hastings can't draw guns. ha ha that's crazy I don't know what you're talking about

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    tumblr_nbpjmqpQ231r1oskao1_1280.png
    mmmnnnn Check Pleaassee!!!!

Hugsown, the racy comic that it is, now comes out on tuesdays.

• Options
    This comic idea probably started out on some drunken escapade kc was having, when the idea of Garfield being miserable over good food tickled his simian sense of humour. Why must you torment Garfield so, Green? Can a man cat not suffer his melancholy in dignity? Must you offer up his misery for all the world to see and laugh at? You present us with the grotesqueries of a degenerate spirit without providing us with either hope or satisfaction. Do you expect us to enjoy this, Green? Do you expect us to be better people for the picture you have shown us? Or is this mental feces, an act necessary to your mental process but otherwise lacking in utility? Because to me it looks like poop from a butt, hugsown. Poop from a literal butt.

tldr; this comic didn't really resonate with me. I didn't like it very much.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    It seems like KC was trying to do a Whomp comic, but instead of funny depressing, he just went to depressing-depressing.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I think this is a good time to repost history's greatest Garfield comic

iXMYITC.png

Cambiata on
  • Options
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    dBtykno.png

Paracetamol (/ˌpærəˈsiːtəmɒl/ or /ˌpærəˈsɛtəmɒl/), also known as acetaminophen Listeni/əˌsiːtəˈmɪnəfɨn/, or APAP, chemically named N-acetyl-p-aminophenol, is a widely used over-the-counter analgesic (pain reliever) and antipyretic (fever reducer).[7][8] Acetaminophen is the name adopted for this pharmacologic agent in the U.S. (USAN) and Japan; paracetamol is approved in a variety of international venues (INN, AAN, BAN, etc.).[9][10][11] Common trade names in English-speaking markets are Tylenol and Panadol.

http://www.scarygoround.com/

This discussion has been closed.