As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This just in: Old games come to [Steam]!

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    The people who made SteamWorld Dig are making another game set in the same universe called SteamWorld Heist:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRPQahcRigg
    SteamWorld Heist is a game about space adventures and survival. Recruit a team of rag-tag robots to explore and scavenge the remains of a destroyed world. Board enemy ships and command your crew in a unique variety of turn-based combat.

The game will be released in spring 2015 on multiple platforms.

(a) Steamworld Dig is terrific.
    (b) This teaser is terrific: Robots. Boarding and (presumably) looting. Turn-based. Steamworld Dig's charming style. Mmmm...
    (c) Set hype status to yes.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    The people who made SteamWorld Dig are making another game set in the same universe called SteamWorld Heist:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRPQahcRigg
    SteamWorld Heist is a game about space adventures and survival. Recruit a team of rag-tag robots to explore and scavenge the remains of a destroyed world. Board enemy ships and command your crew in a unique variety of turn-based combat.

The game will be released in spring 2015 on multiple platforms.

(a) Steamworld Dig is terrific.
    (b) This teaser is terrific: Robots. Boarding and (presumably) looting. Turn-based. Steamworld Dig's charming style. Mmmm...
    (c) Set hype status to yes.

I didn't see that it's turn-based. Now I definitely want it.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    What's that smell?

Oh, it's the hype engines warming up.

Carry on.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    I want that now. On the adventure thing @jaysonfour Not everyone grew up on them. I played Monkey, kings quest, quest for glory (original called hero's quest). Hell, I played the text only titanic.

I remember playing police quest and not walking around my car, to get a flat tire. Than not knowing to tell the perk to get on the ground. My mom, who watched cops, suggested it.

My dad, while I didn't know it, bought the guide to kings quest. Who would think to use "rumpelstiltskin" backwards as the name for the guy? I didn't guess that name.

Anyway, I have found memories of this type of game. That is all.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Ok, it's been a bit of a wild ride with me and GPUs lately.

I had an HD4850, and awhile back @minor incident hooks me up with his old GTX560ti, which was awesome. A short while later the 560 (similar to the club) couldn't even handle me right now and it died. Since I had given the 4850 away to a friend of mine for their kid's Minecraft machine a couple days earlier I was then left without a video card. I was forced to rely on my integrated Intel HD Graphics 2500 and it was awful. These were the dark times.

Then a friend of mine loans me a 768MB GTX460 for a little while and I'm gaming again. Then I manage to do some wheeling and dealing and trade some stuff for a better GPU. When I call my friend up to give him back the 460 he says "Eh, you can have it".

The new GPU I got? It is a GTX560ti "FPB Edition". Basically a factory overclocked version of the card minor sent me in the first place.

So, over the course of a couple months I went from HD4850 to GTX560ti to Integrated HD2500 to GTX460 to GTX560ti FPB. The circle is now complete.

Hopefully this marks the end of my GPU Odyssey for some time, because I got Alien Isolation for $0.99 during that Newegg screwup a while back and it hits in like three weeks.

edit:

No AA and TressFX turned off, but everything else on ultra:

XctZgiD.jpg

I am excite

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    20 minutes until the last set of games are released for the weekly Humble Bundle. Wonder what they'll be.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Siiigh. So, I started playing Wolfenstein: THe new order. I'm usually having fun in it, but then Triple A FPS rears it's ugly head and the game grinds to a complete halt.

Why yes, game. I absolutely LOOOOOVE slow moving vehicle sections where I'm not given any kind of direction. How did you know?!

It would probably also help if the textures would fucking load and stay loaded. But no. That would be a good idea and fuck if Id could do any of that. Cant even make a good goddamn engine anymore.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    DyasAlure wrote: »
    I want that now. On the adventure thing @jaysonfour Not everyone grew up on them. I played Monkey, kings quest, quest for glory (original called hero's quest). Hell, I played the text only titanic.

I remember playing police quest and not walking around my car, to get a flat tire. Than not knowing to tell the perk to get on the ground. My mom, who watched cops, suggested it.

My dad, while I didn't know it, bought the guide to kings quest. Who would think to use "rumpelstiltskin" backwards as the name for the guy? I didn't guess that name.

Anyway, I have found memories of this type of game. That is all.

oh man, the memories! It's shocking how many times I fell for that one. It's a shame the Police Quest games aren't on Steam

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Hopefully this marks the end of my GPU Odyssey for some time, because I got Alien Isolation for $0.99 during that Newegg screwup a while back and it hits in like three weeks.

Fuck me, this was a thing? See: Avatar.

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    Updates from the Humble Summer Sale:

Mount & Blade: With Fire & Sword - $0.99 (Flash Sale)
    Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag - $13.33
    Risk of Rain - $2.49
    Jet Set Radio - $1.24
    Strike Suite Infinity - $1.39

Of those, I have put almost 70 hours into Risk of Rain and it is by far my most played Steam game. It's hard but a lot of fun. The longer you play, the more items you unlock and the harder the game gets. Eventually you can't see what's going on anymore because there is so much action from your guns blowing everything up. Great soundtrack too. This is the cheapest it has been and I would say that it is absolutely worth $2.49 if you like retro 2D Roguelite shooters.

Now a question: how much weight do you guys put in the publisher vs the developer? I see that the Humble Store also has a game called Halfway. I immediately noticed that it is the same publisher as Risk of Rain (Chucklefish) but the developer is not one I have heard of (Robotality). The sale on it isn't great and it's early access but I have had so much with Risk of Rain that I'm tempted.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options

Yeah, for a short glorious time one stormy night in the recent past, Newegg was accidentally (?) selling AMD Never Settle Gold keys for 99 cents.

I got Alien Isolation, Elite Sniper 3, and Star Citizen for 33 cents each. Win! (I'm giving/gave them away but hey, win anyway!)

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    edited September 2014

Yeah, for a short glorious time one stormy night in the recent past, Newegg was accidentally (?) selling AMD Never Settle Gold keys for 99 cents.

I got Alien Isolation, Elite Sniper 3, and Star Citizen for 33 cents each. Win! (I'm giving/gave them away but hey, win anyway!)
    Just a heads up, @Pixelated Pixie if you still have any of the codes, they've probably expired.

Edit: Oh wait. You probably mean the steam codes, and not the AMD codes themselves. NEVERMIND!

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    If anyone missed out on the copy of Reciever from HiB let me know as I have a spare copy.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular

I grabbed Alien Isolation, Star Citizen, and Saints Row 4.

Gave SR4 away, and might give away Star Citizen depending on how things go. I was there for Alien, those other games were just a sweet bonus on top of an even sweeter bonus.

• Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    More gamers added to the Humble Indie Bundle 12 BTA:
    • The Bridge
    • Monaco
    • Race the Sun

HiT BiT on
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular

Ah, I do recall the AMD thing and being too late to partake. Hot damn.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I can't get Black Flag yet! I have Assassin's Creed 3 to slog through!

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    PoseidonPoseidon Registered User regular
    Ah, I do recall the AMD thing and being too late to partake. Hot damn.
    Yeah, it's one of those deals you don't want to miss.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Drake wrote: »
    The secret to the Walrus in Carrier Command is in the name. Sure they aren't graceful (or smart), but they get the job done. I think a lot of what feels like bad pathfinding in the game is actually just the way the vehicles perform. Carrier Command does a lot of things that other RTS games don't. The vehicles have a real turning radius and simulated suspension, instead of the spin in place move you'll see in a lot of games. Terrain is really important. Mud and rocks are real obstacles. And the AI won't give you a "Are you kidding" like in Starcraft when you tell them to move through impassable terrain. They just say "OK Boss" and go and get stuck. But when you combine this with some legit pathfinding issues in the game then I think it just creates the impression that the shit be janky yo (as you kids enjoy saying).

Remember, this is the same bunch that made the Arma games. Sure there are clunky bits and all but the game is really reaching for some stuff that I've been dying to see in this style of game for a long time. Action Strategy hybrids of this type are few and far between and I'm hard pressed to think of any that have the scope of Carrier Command. Hostile Waters: Anteus Rising comes close but there is no strategy beyond how you assault each island as you move in a predetermined advance through the island chain. Really fun story and presentation though.

The only thing I've ever played that is genuinely comparable to Carrier Command: Gaea Mission is the original Carrier Command. The biggest difference between them gameplay-wise is that, due to the technological limitations of making a fully 3D strategy-action hybrid game in 1988, all the islands in the original were flat. And rectangular. So capturing each one wasn't the 30-minutes-to-an-hour mini-campaign that is is in CC:GM. So the pace is a bit different.

To completely mangle the old quote, CC:GM's reach exceeds its grasp, but that's what heaven's for.

RoyceSraphim, I'd very much still call it good and fun. More fun than good, perhaps. I absolutely love it, for all its flaws. But I do come from a place of dearly loving the 26-year-old original too, and there's plenty of its DNA in CC:GM. Even the islands all share names with ones from CC's (actually bigger) archipelago. I can still fire up the old CC and genuinely enjoy it as a brilliant game, without nostalgia factoring in as it usually would with such an old game. It's still brilliant and almost unique.

Drake, I do like the way you look at it. And the Walrus AI isn't, for me, a game-breaker. If anything, knowing I do need to keep half an eye on them actually involves me more in the minute-to-minute gameplay. It just can get a bit frustrating at times, but I suppose that's a fair trade for everything the game does right.

CC:GM is without doubt one of my favorite games of recent years, it's just that the caveats make it a bit tricky to unreservedly recommend. At least there's a demo, though, and on both its platforms, no less, so that I can recommend to the curious. Games like this are such a rarity.

It's fair to say that the existences of a NEW! Carrier Command and a NEW! Elite are two of my favorite things about gaming at the moment. And since one of those is PC (well, computer) exclusive... well... :)

EDIT: And there's a NEW! Midwinter coming as well... it's enough to make me weep tears of joy. If there's ever a NEW! Midwinter II, I'll probably just marry my computer.

Even with its faults, this dynamic of striking out from my carrier to harass my enemy and slowly chip away at their defenses, its fun. Its so very fun.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I got five codes from that and used one, gave away one, but then the rest expired without warning. Shoulda redeemed immediately and grabbed them all then chucked the Steam codes at people.

• Options
    Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    I got five codes from that and used one, gave away one, but then the rest expired without warning. Shoulda redeemed immediately and grabbed them all then chucked the Steam codes at people.

In hindsight, I don't think it was an accident. I think Newegg was clearing their inventory of codes, since they were set to expire on Sep 7th or something.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Ehhhh. You could...You could skip it. Or just focus on the main path and don't bother digging into the optional stuff. (even though the optional is some of what's better in that one)

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    It's gonna be tough to give away a copy of Monaco at this point isn't it?
    Loading...?

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular

And AC3 is indeed a slog compared to Black Flag, IMO.

• Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    So, because I was sucked into a Skyrim Vortex and can't seem to get out of it, I have an SSD question.

If I use the Steam Mover thing, will it move my save files and mods over too? Doesn't that get a little messy?

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Looks like Total War Rome 2 has relaunched as the Emperor Edition (aka, we're finally a good, stable game). Includes some new free content, including a new campaign.

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Icemopper wrote: »
    So, because I was sucked into a Skyrim Vortex and can't seem to get out of it, I have an SSD question.

If I use the Steam Mover thing, will it move my save files and mods over too? Doesn't that get a little messy?

Fairly certain it just moves the entire folder. But saves generally aren't in the game folders anyway. If the mods are in the game's folder they should move to. Save files shouldn't really matter for most games.

Corpekata on
  • Options

Save yourself the heartache. Just manually copy the whole Skyrim folder to your new Steam folder on your SSD (assuming that's your goal) and then just tell Steam to "install" the game - it'll find it, validate it, and you'll be on your way. (source: this worked for me to move my game from old hard drive to new hard drive when I rebuilt system, with no muss, no fuss)

Because I *seriously* doubt Steam mover is going to move mods and such.

You will probably have to reconfigure whatever mod manager of choice you're using as well, as it's doubtless looking for game and mod files in the old location. I use Bash for instance (oldest, best, yay) and it looks for stuff in "C:/steam/steamapps/common/Skyrim Mods/" and it is pathed to put mods in the skyrim folder. I have less experience with NMM or Mod Organizer to know what their inner working are. I'd guess messy is a possibility.

Your saves, on the other hand, should be fine where they are: skyrim saves games to your "my documents" folder (My docs/my games/skyrim/saves).

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    akajaybay wrote: »
    Ehhhh. You could...You could skip it. Or just focus on the main path and don't bother digging into the optional stuff. (even though the optional is some of what's better in that one)

AC3 was a gift. Also AC4 is not free, so I am reluctant to spend the money when I can play a similar game.

And that's not to mention Rogue and Unity later this year. That's what UBI gets for flooding the market.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

Save yourself the heartache. Just manually copy the whole Skyrim folder to your new Steam folder on your SSD (assuming that's your goal) and then just tell Steam to "install" the game - it'll find it, validate it, and you'll be on your way. (source: this worked for me to move my game from old hard drive to new hard drive when I rebuilt system, with no muss, no fuss)

Because I *seriously* doubt Steam mover is going to move mods and such.

You will probably have to reconfigure whatever mod manager of choice you're using as well, as it's doubtless looking for game and mod files in the old location. I use Bash for instance (oldest, best, yay) and it looks for stuff in "C:/steam/steamapps/common/Skyrim Mods/" and it is pathed to put mods in the skyrim folder. I have less experience with NMM or Mod Organizer to know what their inner working are. I'd guess messy is a possibility.

Your saves, on the other hand, should be fine where they are: skyrim saves games to your "my documents" folder (My docs/my games/skyrim/saves).

It should probably work fine, since all steam mover does is copy it over and leave a virtual link in it's place, so as far as windows is concerned, everything is still there

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    From a few pages back: there were 9 codes, and only one has been taken so far. I'm sure plenty of people grabbed it when it was free last week, but this is the perfect chance to get it now if you missed out!
    That reminds me, I grabbed a bunch of gift codes for Warlock: Master of the Arcane last week when they were free. Redeem them ASAP, because they expire next Monday:
    Loading...?

I grabbed one. Thanks!

• Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    So I was looking at a game from the Humble Sale and the Steam reviews indicated it was worth picking up. However, Steam signed me out so Enhanced Steam didn't flag it as already owned. Obviously I couldn't redeem to to my account. When I tried to gift the game instead, I didn't see an option to gift and there was a notice that I wouldn't receive extra giftable copies of games I already own.

Is there a way to gift it that I'm not seeing or is it locked in my Humble library?

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    All of this Carrier Command talk got me to look into what's up with the game these days. There is a patch that has been in beta for a bit (you can opt into it the usual way) and there is also a small modding community for the game now. The beta patch of course contains further refinements to unit pathfinding and such. And if you dislike the Walruses handling the Gripmod2 gives the Walrus a tighter turn radius and jacks the traction of its tires way up. With the mod you can apparently climb just about any hill and just yolo your way through mud and rocks for the most part. The higher traction does mean that you can get stuck on rocks easier now, so you'll still need to use a hook.

Reports of the game's abandonment were definitely premature. It obviously wasn't a big enough seller to get laser focused support but BIS is pretty good about curating their games. I was the only one who voted for this game as my GOTY in MCC's yearly poll, and I still stand by it. Sure there were more popular games or games with a more consistent technical execution but no one else had tackled anything with this kind of scope and granularity that year as far I knew.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Hello, Steam thread! Have a Monaco code;

Loading...?

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    So I'm thinking about getting Broforce. I've got a GamersGate coupon for 20% off and could buy it there. Was wondering if there was anywhere I should be checking first to get it cheaper

Scratch that it looks like it's available from
    http://www.macgamestore.com/product/3309/Broforce/

For $7.49

I've bought a Steam game from them before and had no problems... Will update you how it goes.

Edit: Yep I bought it and there was a Steam Key shown on the Purchase Complete screen after paying through Paypal. It registered in Steam with no problems.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    an_alt wrote: »
    So I was looking at a game from the Humble Sale and the Steam reviews indicated it was worth picking up. However, Steam signed me out so Enhanced Steam didn't flag it as already owned. Obviously I couldn't redeem to to my account. When I tried to gift the game instead, I didn't see an option to gift and there was a notice that I wouldn't receive extra giftable copies of games I already own.

Is there a way to gift it that I'm not seeing or is it locked in my Humble library?

Not that I have seen. I'm actually dealing with the identical thing with a purchase of Rocksmith 2014 I bought for someone (I swear it's still coming, @Lindsay Lohan!). I submitted a support request with Humble Support and I'm just waiting to hear back from them.

I have dealt with their support before when I accidentally purchased a bundle for the default $25 instead of the desired $4. It took a couple of days but they sent me a full refund so I imagine it won't be a problem to convert something to a giftable copy. Especially since I think they can tell that it has not been redeemed to a Steam account.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Origin stuff. Bejeweled 3 is on the house. When I went to get it, the store also shows 48 hours of Titanfall for free.

Talus9952 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I really want to make this clear, I enjoy Carrier Command: Gaea Mission because there are not enough strategy games that have this intimacy with your units and a base ship that is functional in organization and combat.

Part of me wants a sequel with naval combat involving artillery strikes beyond visual range, avoiding enemy destroyers and battleships, signal warfare to close the distance and engage the enemy.....*drools slightly*

• Options
    an_alt wrote: »

Isn't there a little picture of a box you can click to gift it?

steam_sig.png

This discussion has been closed.