As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Crusader Kings 2; Charlemagne vs Carloman, Fratricide 2.0

• chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Just an FYI, Gamefly seems to have all Crusader Kings 2 stuff for sale at 75% off.

steam_sig.png
  • KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    Just an FYI, Gamefly seems to have all Crusader Kings 2 stuff for sale at 75% off.

Might be time to get Rajas of India for myself now, if that is also on sale.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
    Rajas of India seems to be the only one NOT on sale. :(

steam_sig.png
    Rajas of India seems to be the only one NOT on sale. :(

Seems to always be the case. *grumble*

Well it is the newest expansion right? At least until Charlemagne hits. So I can kind of understand not wanting to put it 75% discounted just yet. Maybe the Winter Sale?

steam_sig.png
    Well it is the newest expansion right? At least until Charlemagne hits. So I can kind of understand not wanting to put it 75% discounted just yet. Maybe the Winter Sale?

I wouldn't be surprised to see them put it on sale when Charlemagne hits. Encourage people who've been holding out to snag both. Crossing my fingers, anyway.

Alright, so remember when I was waffling on whether or not to attack England, and with what severity? I decided that screw it, I'm going all in and calling for an invasion. The Pope says sure, go right ahead, and I also ask my good friend and ally, the Holy Roman Empire to join in the fun. He agrees to assist me, and together we stomp the ever living hell out of England. So hooray, I am now King of England.

I also now have 27 holdings that I need to deal with. I do the easy stuff, the Cities and Bishoprics, that gets me down to 20. I dole out the rest to people, and keep a close eye on the peasants and Scotland, where just under half of the counties are still not mine.

And then my ruler dies, before I have enough money to make the Empire of Britannia. Damn, that's highly inconvenient, because my heir has almost no piety. Oh well, there is still some cleanup I can do before I create the Empire anyway. Norway stubbornly owns one county just north of London, so I press my de jure claim on them (I'm still waiting out the truces from taking the last two Welsh counties away from Scottish nobles). I don't even finish marching my army in to siege, and they surrender. I guess the two revolts and a foreign war, added on top of an imminent ass kicking, were just not something they wanted to deal with. So bonus, free county. I send my chancellor to start buttering up the remaining Scottish lords so that they will accept vassalization, because I can't be bothered to conquer every last little spec of land, now can I?

I form the Empire of Alba (Alba? really?) and two of the remaining three lords submit to my rule. The third is, unfortunately, Ambitious. Also angry that I took away her Welsh county. Oh well, I declare war, take a county, wait a while, do it again. Now every single de jure county for the Empire of Alba (Britannia, whatever) except for one last Ambitious holdout is mine. Oh yeah, and the Duchess of Essex decided to go conquer Norway, so Norway is a vassal kingdom to my empire.

Even better? This ruler is married to a genius, who is unfortunately a lesbian. Fortunately she does give me a son and a daughter, both of which are geniuses as well. The son ended up 13 17 22 4 15 with Midas Touched, and is engaged to be married to another genius. He also has a plethora of traits that should make him popular with both his vassals and the church. The only thing that is even remotely going wrong at the moment is that the Catholic Church is taking a beating, and has a very low Moral Authority, something like 47%. I even have a tech lead on all but two counties, Rome and whatever the capital of Byzantium is. In a way I kind of want my current ruler to die so I can play as the son, because he's just fantastic.

steam_sig.png
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    And then my ruler dies, before I have enough money to make the Empire of Britannia. Damn, that's highly inconvenient, because my heir has almost no piety. Oh well, there is still some cleanup I can do before I create the Empire anyway. Norway stubbornly owns one county just north of London, so I press my de jure claim on them (I'm still waiting out the truces from taking the last two Welsh counties away from Scottish nobles). I don't even finish marching my army in to siege, and they surrender. I guess the two revolts and a foreign war, added on top of an imminent ass kicking, were just not something they wanted to deal with. So bonus, free county. I send my chancellor to start buttering up the remaining Scottish lords so that they will accept vassalization, because I can't be bothered to conquer every last little spec of land, now can I?

It sounds like your old, dead ruler attacked Scotland for those Welsh counties. In which case those truces would have gone away the moment he died and the new ruler took over.

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Usually a new CK2 expansion will coincide with a sale where all the old stuff (including xpac-1) goes on sale.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK

It sounds like your old, dead ruler attacked Scotland for those Welsh counties. In which case those truces would have gone away the moment he died and the new ruler took over.

Well yes, I left out a couple of details. Detail the first was that I was trying to get those lords to swear fealty to me because it's faster to take 2 or 3 counties in one go than to take them piecemeal. Detail the second is that Moray had a rebellion going on so I couldn't ask them to swear fealty until that ended. Also, the ruler of Moray was also married to the Queen of Norway, but the Duchess of Essex was winning her war to take Norway so I wanted to wait to see how that shook out. Detail the third is that I MAY have attacked the excommunicated Petty Queen of Lothian in an attempt to get more piety to make the Empire, except she got un-excommunicated before I could finish the war.

Regardless, I got Moray (and Gowrie, who was technically an ally and the son of the previous King of Scotland) to swear fealty after creating the Empire. I just have to finish off whichever county is left of Lothian and all of the British Isles are mine. You are right, though, I misstated that I was waiting out the truces when in fact I was waiting to see if my being Emperor would change the "swear fealty" response (which it did, except for the Petty Queen of Lothian who decided to get all Ambitious).

I really dislike NPCs with the Ambitious trait.

steam_sig.png
  • PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I had sex with the Ecumenical Patriarch and he infected me with syphilis

• Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Not sure what the game uses to dictate names, whether it's your culture or primary holding or what, but

Kingdom of Alba

So, you created Gaelic Britain.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Pretty sure it's your culture that determines it.

Battletag BYToady#1454
    Yeah I'm playing as the Irish, so Scotland became the Kingdom of Alba, and the Empire of Britannia became the Empire of Alba.

I guess the Irish really, really like Jessica Alba?

It's apparently Alba for Irish and Scottish, Prydain for Welsh and Breton, and Britannia for everybody else.

steam_sig.png
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Yeah I'm playing as the Irish, so Scotland became the Kingdom of Alba, and the Empire of Britannia became the Empire of Alba.

I guess the Irish really, really like Jessica Alba?

It's apparently Alba for Irish and Scottish, Prydain for Welsh and Breton, and Britannia for everybody else.

The name can change if the predominant culture or the ruler's changes; I forget which. I had both Brittania and Prydain at different times during the game I played as Cornwall, if I'm remembering right.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

It's your ruler's culture.

Alba is a variant of "Albion" which was a Celtic name for the isle of Britain (and gave the Gaelic kingdom which would later become Scotland its name).

• EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    I think my Ironman game is bugged. I lead a faction and get way over 100% and present the ultimatum, which the liege accepts, but then nothing happens. It drops me out of the faction, which continues without me, but nothing gets changed. The emperor has slowly just pulled crown authority up to maximum and I can't get it back down.

Is this a common issue? Am I just screwed?

• Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    Gundi wrote: »
    So I found that playing as any of the historical Kings of Jeresuleam is pretty fun, and also pretty hard. I finally found a start date where while all the neighboring muslim neighors will attack you they themselves are unstable enough that you might have a chance of winning. Good thing is that if you are able to weather the storm, and that's a pretty big if mind you, lots of free holy wars against depleted opponents.

Yeah, playing as the King od Jerusalem immediately post 1st crusade is pretty fun. And quite doable too, thanks to the holy orders.

i started from the third crusade

decimated the incoming jihad, won the crusade from armenia, took over like half of russia, won another crusade for andalusia, started to take over morocco, BOOM steamrolled by mongols

how do you fight mongols

edited September 2014
    Give up land if you have to and fight in a defensive position in the mountains. In my Justanid game, as emperor of Persia, I had to first give up Khiva because I got bad tactics, but then I destroyed the Ilkhanate's entire army in a single battle in the mountains. Position your retinues in a mountain province and keep other stacks in neighboring provinces. When they attack you, time the arrival of the other stacks so they can reinforce the fight almost immediately. I think I had around 120k troops in that fight.

Sometimes the AI will split up its army, but smaller Mongol stacks can still be deceptively powerful, I would suggest only attacking them with your retinues unless you outnumber them at least 2:1.

In my current Armenia, now Roman Empire game, the Ilkhanate arrived but never declared war on me. I have about 300k troops and they only have 100k. They're currently busy expanding into India, the Golden Horde also arrived but accidentally got destroyed by the Ilkhanate, I think.

It helps to have a consolidated and organized realm. In the later start dates, I would either avoid areas into which they would expand, or, starting in those, I would probably swear fealty to them as soon as they arrive. If Tengriism hasn't reformed yet they can't ask you to convert and they'll be too busy expanding to take your titles from you or anything. There's also a chance they might convert to your religion. Sooner or later they'll just lose steam and get really bogged down.

Platy on
  • TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    I'm at the point in my Byzantine game where I'm the

Despot of Jerusalem, with the Despot of Nubia, Syria, and Egypt within the Dynasty. A Phokas sits on the Throne of the Empire and the AI just finished taking over Italy and now seems intent on forming the Roman Empire. It's stomped its way to the edge of India, half way up into Russia and seems intent on finishing the march across Northern Africa.

This is pretty cool.

• TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    also my dynasty is Phokas. so, yeah

It's like there's some curse over my dynasty in my game. My current ruler's grandfather discovered he was a leper soon after he turned 20. The mother got infected with syphilis (-30 attraction opinion). And now I'm an infant with a 0/6/0/2/0 regent while some faction is trying to heave the bastard I had with the Patriarch on the throne.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    What a bunch of Phokas.

voc2dxcl.jpg

The Living Death

I have been pretty lucky so far to avoid having any regents botching things. Like I had a regent for a little bit after one of my guys got clocked in the head in a battle I hadn't realized he was in, but that lasted like four months before he died of his wounds. Not a whole lot a regent can do to screw everything up in that short a time period.

I'm slightly annoyed at the moment in my game, I have a wonderful genius son with a genius wife, and my ruler is in his 50s and infirm. I would really like to abdicate and have the son take over, or failing that just have my current ruler die. I'm still feeling some repercussions from my former ruler's ill-advised marriage to the former Queen of Sicily. My first born grandson ended up the heir to her land in Sicily, and now the heir to my heir is his second born son. Sadly none of his three children have gotten Genius or Quick as traits, despite both parents having Genius. I do really want my current ruler's mother to die so I can finally stop worrying about anything to do with Sicily, they're in such a terrible situation with the Byzantium Empire on one side, the HRE on another, and also somehow bordering Castille, who is not an Emperor but is getting pretty close to having enough of the Iberian Peninsula to make Hispania, as well as being in charge of Brittany.

Overall though things are going well, I've got the entirety of the British Isles united, plus Norway as a vassal kingdom. I'm contemplating going after lands in Scandinavia next, but I'm also considering just standing pat and stopping expansion. There are a lot of vassals to manage in my current Empire, and I might need to do something about some of them having multiple ducal titles. The previous administration in England was not smart about keeping vassals at an appropriate power level it seems.

steam_sig.png
    So I picked up Sons of Abraham and The Old Gods when Gamefly had them on sale, and they change things up a bit don't they? Now I can borrow money from Jews, expel Jews, repay Jews, rebellions have actual leaders instead of being just a small army, and adventurers can attack you.

I was rolling along all happy, when my heir decided to pop out 8 sons before I kicked the bucket, and he also ended up with bad stats because he inherited his great-grandmother's duchy in Sicily and left my control. Maybe I could have educated him anyway? I'm not sure. Regardless, his reign was a hassle because of all the unlanded sons, though a couple voluntarily joined Holy Orders (I think this is added as well, I don't remember this happening before I got those two expansions). Anyway, my ruler died, his son took over, things are going alright and I'm holding the realm together. I am one of the top three most powerful nations in terms of number of soldiers I can raise, generally behind the HRE and of similar troop levels to the Byzantium Empire. I've got full control of the British Isles, and Norway, Brittany, France and Navarra are vassal kingdoms to me. My grandfather rules for 31 years, but my father only for 17. I've been on the throne for 21 years so far, and my son and heir is not yet of age to take over, though he is getting close.

I did deny my brother a title when he asked, but screw letting any of my land leave my hands. He was also ambitious, so having been denied a title and having the ambitious trait, he very quickly formed a host to come take my Empire. I had my retinues out on the continent because I was planning to move on Aquitane whenever my chancellor got off his ass, but I ditched those plans and brought them back to Dublin. I guess you get two years of warning before the attack, but I wasn't sure how it worked. Turns out, when the timer expired, all of a sudden there was a 30k strong hostile army in my capital, since that's where my brother was hanging out while he gathered his forces. So he immediately started fighting my retinue, and I immediately called up my personal levies (I probably should have done this a few days before the timer expired, now that I think about it) and moved them into Dublin. One smashed adventurer host and a banished brother later, I've grabbed a ton of prestige and a bit over 1000 gold. That actually ended up being a lot less scary than I had feared.

I also like that I can go on a pilgrimage, that extra little added opinion with same religion people is nice. I'm not sure about this College of Cardinals thing. The vast majority of them have been from the HRE, and it doesn't really seem to add anything? At least nothing obvious. Is there a benefit to having the Pope come from your realm? There certainly doesn't seem to be a downside to the Pope being from the HRE pretty much constantly. The heretical rebellions are kind of awesome, though, because as long as they're just coming from one county I don't have any problem putting them down and taking that 100 prestige and 200 piety reward. I don't let the heresy stay any longer than I have to, because I don't want a lot of heretics running around, but the occasional one for the boost is nice.

Overall I like the additions from these two expansions. The extra little flavor with the College of Cardinals is nice, though I am unsure of what actual changes it has on the gameplay. I guess you can spend money on getting your guy elected if you want? The adventurer attack was nowhere near as daunting as I had feared, though I could see it being a problem if it had happened when I was not an emperor with a ton of military power. I don't know how the adventurer host scales, the one I saw attacking Toulouse was much smaller than the one that came at me. I'm kind of excited to try out playing as a Viking once I finish out the last few decades of this game. Or as a Doge, that sounds interesting too.

steam_sig.png
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    The problem with adventurer hosts is indeed that they don't scale properly. If your territory is tiny, they are going to crush you and there's nothing you can do about it. If you're a vast Empire, they're a minor nuisance.

The devs have said they're going to change this with the Charlemagne patch, though. So fingers crossed.

• FiskebentFiskebent DenmarkRegistered User regular
    A lot of the things in this game could have happened in the middle ages. But what about adventurers? Are they based on history? I can't think of an actual example of someone gathering a host somewhere and setting out to take over a kingdom.

steam_sig.png
  • SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Normandy and Sicily are the two most common examples I see in regards to that question, I don't know how good those comparisons are though

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    SLyM wrote: »
    Normandy and Sicily are the two most common examples I see in regards to that question, I don't know how good those comparisons are though

The Kingdom of Sicily circa 1200 and the Crusader states are in a not-too-strained way very similar to adventurer's host products.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• FandaFanda Hang a shining star upon the highest boughRegistered User regular
    I think Henry IV's overthrow of Richard II would fit the landless adventurer model.

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Fanda wrote: »
    I think Henry IV's overthrow of Richard II would fit the landless adventurer model.

It's after the period, but Henry VII over Richard III as well.

Robert the Bruce and William Wallace arguably fall into the category, as do some portions of the Reconquista.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
    I finished my first complete playthrough, started as Earl of Dublin in 1066 and ended up Emperor of Alba, King of Ireland, Wales, Alba and England, with the Kingdoms of Norway, Brittany, France, Navarra and Aquitaine my vassals. Also Brittany and Navarra were de jure part of the Empire of Alba by the end. Final score was 101,596 so apparently I was more successful than the Capet dynasty, which is cool.

The game is really fun, and some of the succession crises were pretty hair raising. I'm not sure what I'll try next, I was thinking probably I'd go Viking, but Doge sounds interesting in a completely different way. For the moment I'm not crazy enough to try playing as a Jewish ruler, and I think I'll steer clear of the Muslims for now because the Decadence thing sounds super irritating.

steam_sig.png
  • MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Playing as a Republic is super-fun since you're rich. I recommend for the first time playing as Gotland instead of one of the Italian republics since there's no competition from other republics for a hundred fifty years or so - by the time the Hansa appear you should be way ahead.

I haven't finished my Gotland game but it's now the Principality of Scandinavia - the trade empire is literal now.

edited September 2014
    tsvadwx7.jpg
    vwj38jzt.jpg

I think I earned... twelve achievements during this game? In the first screenshot, you can see that Carpathia is still there north of the Caucasus, by the way!

Platy on
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Wait, how do you have the Roman Empire title without being Christian?

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Convert.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

edited September 2014
    That is pretty crazy, how did you accomplish that? Did you wait to convert to Jainism until after you had conquered most of the land, since they don't have the Holy War option?

-edit- Nevermind, forgot that the Roman Empire gets the Imperial Reconquest CB.

chrisnl on
    steam_sig.png
  • ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    Wait, how do you have the Roman Empire title without being Christian?
    You can convert a character's religion/culture to score achievements. Usually best done near end-of-life.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476