As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Steam] obscures your vision, but the Aliens are still there.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Big Classy wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »
    Not Steam, but Elite: Dangerous Beta 2 launches September 30th; finished game is still apparently on course for release this year. Also, to celebrate its 30th anniversary, the original Elite is now properly, legitimately, free.

I really want to try it but it would make my computer cry out. Too many shinies!

It's far, far less demanding than it looks. Specs at the bottom of this page (basically, just don't have a toaster). It's been designed around future-proofing, yes, so it'll apparently crank crazy high if you have a ninja rig, but it runs beautifully on my laptop. Beta 2 introduces SLI/Crossfire and 4K support but you don't need it for it to look absolutely stunning. The entire game thus far, in Beta 1 stage, is only just over 2GB in size. And that's with 55 star systems. (The game's built around procedural generation, as was the original - which fit 8 galaxies of 256 systems each into 22KB of programmable RAM - and the older sequels - which each fit on one or two floppies - so it's teeny.)

Jazz on
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Drascin wrote: »
    Generally speaking, the problem with getting enthused by the Pre-Sequel is that... well, this is a game supposedly from the perspective of Handsome Jack's side. I don't even want the perspective of Handsome Jack's side. I don't give a smidgen of a shit.

It seems like they're leaning hard into the stuff that polarized the audience in BL2. Anthony Burch writing the script again, focusing on a character most people seemed to dislike, etc.
    It's also less Jack's "side", since we got all of that in BL2 itself, but mostly how he became the shitbag he is in BL2. I doubt anyone that disliked him in BL2 is going to come out of the Pre-Sequel! saying "Man, that Jack... he's pretty great!"

Besides, even if he's supposedly good in the beginning of the Pre-Sequel!, there's all the stuff that happened even before that with
    his wife and Angel
    . So he's still a shitbag regardless.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Corpekata wrote: »
    http://www.housemarqueblog.com/outland/outland-housemarques-award-winning-platformer-coming-steam-sept-29th/2014/09/19/

Outland is hitting Steam at the end of the month. Another one of the few console smaller games comes over. Just need Shadow Complex now.

I might be one of the ten people who bought Outland for the 360. Imagine the color swap bullet hell of Ikaruga crossed with a metroidvania. Also throw in some of the tightest, most fluid platforming controls you'll ever see and you've got a winner.

... Go on.

It's a beautifully animated Metroidvania style game with the backgrounds lush, jungle style things but the foreground and characters are mostly silhouettes that glow in particular colors. You can flip your character's color to be more/less effective against enemies or to have their bullets do no damage and there are platforms that are only usable or only start moving if you are a particular color. It's stunningly good looking in motion and a bunch of fun.

Also, obligatory video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVNonqkjncE

The thing that I remember the most from Outland is the control. It was amazingly tuned and felt so good, like driving a high end sports car. I even used the analog sticks for movement, which I normally don't do with a platformer. I don't know what KBAM would be like, but I highly recommend a gamepad to play it.

So it's a little like Guacamelee?

That's a good comparison. I didn't think to make it because Outland predates Guacamelee by several years.
    Corpekata wrote: »
    http://www.housemarqueblog.com/outland/outland-housemarques-award-winning-platformer-coming-steam-sept-29th/2014/09/19/

Outland is hitting Steam at the end of the month. Another one of the few console smaller games comes over. Just need Shadow Complex now.

I might be one of the ten people who bought Outland for the 360. Imagine the color swap bullet hell of Ikaruga crossed with a metroidvania. Also throw in some of the tightest, most fluid platforming controls you'll ever see and you've got a winner.

... Go on.

It's a beautifully animated Metroidvania style game with the backgrounds lush, jungle style things but the foreground and characters are mostly silhouettes that glow in particular colors. You can flip your character's color to be more/less effective against enemies or to have their bullets do no damage and there are platforms that are only usable or only start moving if you are a particular color. It's stunningly good looking in motion and a bunch of fun.

Also, obligatory video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVNonqkjncE

The thing that I remember the most from Outland is the control. It was amazingly tuned and felt so good, like driving a high end sports car. I even used the analog sticks for movement, which I normally don't do with a platformer. I don't know what KBAM would be like, but I highly recommend a gamepad to play it.

So it's a little like Guacamelee?

That's a good comparison. I didn't think to make it because Outland predates Guacamelee by several years.

Shadow Complex?

Shadow Complex, if memory serves me, was a fantastic Metroid clone but didn't have that sort of higher speed sort of platforming that Guacamelee had.

Outland really was an outlier in how it felt while playing. Controlled like butter.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Drascin wrote: »
    Generally speaking, the problem with getting enthused by the Pre-Sequel is that... well, this is a game supposedly from the perspective of Handsome Jack's side. I don't even want the perspective of Handsome Jack's side. I don't give a smidgen of a shit.

It seems like they're leaning hard into the stuff that polarized the audience in BL2. Anthony Burch writing the script again, focusing on a character most people seemed to dislike, etc.

I didn't dislike Handsome Jack for what he was. But what he was was a super exaggerated ultra-villain narcissist who was designed to be more hateable with every moment that passed in the game.

But that's precisely why I can't muster any interest for a game on his side. He's designed to be a love to hate character. A deliciously infuriating weasel who goes so over the top that you can't help but laugh even as you want to murder him. Trying to make him "relatable" or whatever by "seeing things from his side" is just going to fall humongously flat because the entirety of Borderlands 2, which everyone who wants to play this game has played, was, almost in its entirety, an ode to the singular idea that Handsome Jack is an enormous dick. He gets less sympathy points than Sauron. And the Pre-Sequel is about working for this man, propping him to power, and then knowing your character gets offed by the Vault Hunters in 2 a couple years later. It's just hard to muster any enthusiasm.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    I don't know if Jack was a 'love to hate' character as much as a character that was so hilariously bad that you hated him so much you loved him.

Semantics? possibly. I think there's a difference though.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    BaalorBaalor Registered User regular
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Handsome Jack was funny to listen to when he called me in BL

That said, I would have no problems putting a shotgun blast through his skull.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    HiT BiT should be above 1k games, heck he should've been the first one to hit that! Forget 666, let's get to 1k!

• Options
    HeirTransparentHeirTransparent ... Registered User regular
    More visual novels, as promised.

GLORIOUS NIPPON
    signature.png

NECROMANTIC LEGAL THRILLER
    signature.png

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    It is not the best time of year until I can stop needing a fan pointed straight at my bed to prevent waking up in a literal puddle of sweat.

Last night was a vast improvement from the previous week. (Fellow San Diegan)

Yeah, 80F at 2 AM was completely ridiculous

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ReverseCreationsReverseCreations Registered User regular
    I wasn't too interested in the Pre-sequel, I still haven't even maxed out a character in BL2. However that video at least makes me slightly more interested. If there has been 1 thing that Gearbox has been really good at doing, it's making fun trailers for the Borderlands series....and now I'm thinking maybe I'll put some more time into my Zero or maybe power Gaige through....or play more BL2 in general hm...and maybe keep more of an eye on the Pre-sequel.

1C54320038BDF735D2D088D168D6275F7F2FBE3C
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »
    Mr Torgue and Sir Hammerlock on Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCmDjYunsT8

Sweet! Game looks good!

I have to say, this video was a breath of fresh air over in the Borderlands thread. Whlie the proof is in the pudding, so to speak, it seems like they're addressing at least some of the hardcore fans' disappointments with the BL2 late game -- specificlaly super, super spongy mobs and bosses, grinding for specific gear combos, and the horrifying drop rate -- and maybe turning down the dials on those things in the Pre-Sequel. The damage progression is flatter, the 'grinder' letting you turn greens into blues (and blues into purples?) and several scenes in the video with lots of oranges at least hint at the possibility that things will be better.

I wasn't super, super pumped for this new one coming off 300+ hours of Borderlands 2. I'm feeling a lot better about it now, though. And thanks to @Big Classy‌ I'll be in there shooting and looting at launch. :)

EDIT: Also, MR. TORGUE is the best.

I am more excited for the grinder than I should be. Also, reprehensible people or not Athena's and Wilhelm's skill trees both look amazing.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    I don't know if Jack was a 'love to hate' character as much as a character that was so hilariously bad that you hated him so much you loved him.

Semantics? possibly. I think there's a difference though.

Something like that is what I mean, yeah.

I have been awake for eighteen hours and counting. Brain no work good.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I just think Gearbox is getting a bit up its own butt regarding mythology no one ever really cared about. Tales from the Borderlands, the Pre-Sequel, etc.

It's like they realized their story was bad in BL1, and then overcorrected by having a shit ton of story in BL2 and onwards.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Burch is the best thing to happen to that series, and so was Handsome Jack. BL2 is a pretty crazy improvement over BL1 just for the story stuff.

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    I don't give 2 shits about the story, but I won't complain about more space Archer.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    I've got a 23% off, unlimited use on anything voucher on GMG.

What stuff should I look into? Seriously considering preordering Beyond Earth.

• Options
    jclast wrote: »
    I don't give 2 shits about the story, but I won't complain about more space Archer.

Now I want an Archer game in the same style as borderlands.

Thanks.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »
    It is not the best time of year until I can stop needing a fan pointed straight at my bed to prevent waking up in a literal puddle of sweat.

Last night was a vast improvement from the previous week. (Fellow San Diegan)

Yeah, 80F at 2 AM was completely ridiculous

I hadn't gotten a concrete number at night but seriously this is what it went to?

Oh that reminds me, I need to call the A/C vendor and ask them how things are coming along with replacing my broken one. And by "coming along" I mean "I am not spending a third weekend in this kind of heat."

• Options
    I just think Gearbox is getting a bit up its own butt regarding mythology no one ever really cared about. Tales from the Borderlands, the Pre-Sequel, etc.

It's like they realized their story was bad in BL1, and then overcorrected by having a shit ton of story in BL2 and onwards.
    Well, they brought it on themselves. They changed art styles about 75% of the way into production, so almost all the story/lore had to get gutted just to get the game out on time.

sig.gif
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    So, my Steam account is entirely in German as of ten minutes ago when I logged on to Steam Gifts to give you classholes some games. Any ideas on how I can fix that and whose wrath I've incurred to have had this happen in the first place?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    HiT BiT should be above 1k games, heck he should've been the first one to hit that! Forget 666, let's get to 1k!
    WD8jRy2.jpg
    Isy, that new avatar of his fits him perfectly.
    He is a monster.
    Of class.
    In a top hat.

heart-icon.png

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    DaringDirk wrote: »
    Drovek wrote: »
    LostNinja wrote: »
    So how much would an ffxiii trilogy be? Because if it were reasonable enough, I might go for it.

The first one seems reasonably priced at $16, so picking it up during sale shouldn't be too bad.

Picked it up for $11 plus change in GMG with a coupon.

At that price it's worth a look.

Details?

$11.51 with voucher E93D4T-5XG1JG-CYU67Q

EDIT: Though there is a slightly better one.

If you aren't already subscribed to the GMG newsletter, you can do so and get this, which includes a 23% off coupon and some other goodies.

Already have an account, and that voucher seems to not work? Will search the Internets for another 20% voucher when I get home from work...

Try grabbing the "welcome pack." All you need to do is go to your profile and set your subscription to the newsletter (even if you're already subscribed it will give it to you.) It took like an hour for mine to arrive, but it worked. Lasts the rest of the month, too.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Might sound crazy but the writing is easily my favorite part of Borderlands so yeah, I was pretty happy they beefed it up and gave the characters and story more personality in 2.

These are probably the most genuinely funny video games I've ever played.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    So, my Steam account is entirely in German as of ten minutes ago when I logged on to Steam Gifts to give you classholes some games. Any ideas on how I can fix that and whose wrath I've incurred to have had this happen in the first place?

Select Steam on your Menubar. Choose the second option from the bottom of the dropdown, this is the Settings dialog. Sixth entry on the Settings menu is Interface, select this. On the Settings page Language is the first dropdown menu.

• Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Drake wrote: »

Select Steam on your Menubar. Choose the second option from the bottom of the dropdown, this is the Settings dialog. Sixth entry on the Settings menu is Interface, select this. On the Settings page Language is the first dropdown menu.

Eeeexcellent. Thank you. Glorious, glorious English.

Alright everyone. A game that I have been waiting for for 24 years came out today, and I think that means it's time to celebrate. Open to Adventure Team members.

signature.png

Come wander the wastes with me and relive the glory days of PC RPGs.

This ends tonight at the stroke of midnight (or like 5 minutes before or something). I'm not going to deprive the winner of playing this over the weekend.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    So how much would an ffxiii trilogy be? Because if it were reasonable enough, I might go for it.

The first one seems reasonably priced at $16, so picking it up during sale shouldn't be too bad.

Details?

If you aren't already subscribed to the GMG newsletter, you can do so and get this, which includes a 23% off coupon and some other goodies.

Already have an account, and that voucher seems to not work? Will search the Internets for another 20% voucher when I get home from work...

Try grabbing the "welcome pack." All you need to do is go to your profile and set your subscription to the newsletter (even if you're already subscribed it will give it to you.) It took like an hour for mine to arrive, but it worked. Lasts the rest of the month, too.

Okay, that is too fucking funny. I had trouble getting my confirmation email in order to log in to GMG on my work computer, and it finally came in so I could try the failing voucher code I'd posted about earlier. Go out to lunch with Mrs. Dirk (it's awesome working in San Francisco 1.5 blocks from the love of my life), when I get back I have the 23% off code in my email inbox. I hadn't chosen to subscribe to a damn thing or nothin'. But, hey, now I've got some choices to make! Could be FF XIII, or maybe I'll look at some other stuff in their store?

Edit: Wait, multi-use coupon? Sweet!

DaringDirk on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

I was hoping to use it on the Borderlands Pre-Sequel but alas it's not on GMG.

• Options
    Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular

Details?

Okay, that is too fucking funny. I had trouble getting my confirmation email in order to log in to GMG on my work computer, and it finally came in so I could try the failing voucher code I'd posted about earlier. Go out to lunch with Mrs. Dirk (it's awesome working in San Francisco 1.5 blocks from the love of my life), when I get back I have the 23% off code in my email inbox. I hadn't chosen to subscribe to a damn thing or nothin'. But, hey, now I've got some choices to make! Could be FF XIII, or maybe I'll look at some other stuff in their store?

@DaringDirk‌ I got the same coupon, and I believe it notes it as being multi-use.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular

Huh? Who was "polarized" over Burch or Handsome Jack? Is this Bizarro world?

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options

The fanbase was polarized. Some people loved the writing, story, humor, etc. Other people felt it leaned a bit too much into meme culture and cultural appropriation, or was just flat out annoying/poorly written.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Talus9952 wrote: »

Details?

@DaringDirk‌ I got the same coupon, and I believe it notes it as being multi-use.

Yep, I noted that in an edit while you were typing this. And, FF XIII GET! Will be added to my library when I get home. Kinda peeved I have to wait 3 weeks, but what can you do?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options

The fanbase was polarized. Some people loved the writing, story, humor, etc. Other people felt it leaned a bit too much into meme culture and cultural appropriation, or was just flat out annoying/poorly written.
    Yeah, Burch has mentioned on Twitter that people try and make fun of him by calling the game Memelands.

sig.gif
  • Options
    BTW, as you can see from my sig, I've been playing BL2 in anticipation of BL: PS (thanks again, @Big Classy, can't wait to multi with you and others!!!) My life would be perfect if I could transfer saves between the Steam version and the Vita version, as I've got much more time with my Vita than I do my PC (which is in the living room as the family entertainment device). On Vita, I've got a few missions completed in Sanctuary. Working my way over there in the 2 hours I've played on PC yesterday, goes by much faster the second time around. I gotta say, Borderlands 2 is a very fun game!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Sorce wrote: »

Yeah, Burch has mentioned on Twitter that people try and make fun of him by calling the game Memelands.

Hell, the great Ryan Davis took it upon himself to rib Burch/BL when Burch was insulting Tomb Raider because it got nominated for a BAFTA. I only remember this cause I got somehow wrapped up into the Twitter conversation.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular

Eh, I'd say that's overestimating a vocal minority. BL2's writing was hugely well-received after BL1 (remember the Destroyer?), and while there was (pretty exaggerated, if you ask me) sniping about Internet Jokes, that's one of the things they're explicitly cutting back on, so...I don't think there's a lot of people who really think Neumann was better without Burch leading.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular

Well, those "other people" are just wrong. ;)

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Came home from work to a message in my inbox from @Talus9952. It was Lily Looking Through! Thanks so much. This is an awesome start to my weekend. :D

Steam: offday
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Last night I came back around to the question of "Where's @Scratchy ?".
    Checked Steam and still no activity. But @DaringDirk‌ helpfully pointed out he had checked back in here on the forums. I had looked once before for any posts, but these came after the last time I'd checked and I totally missed them. In case anyone else has wondered the same thing and missed the posts figured I'd regurgitate them in the current thread.

7/18
    Scratchy wrote:
    hey dudes and dudettes sorry I've been away for a long time but I still haven't fixed all the problems with my computer and I also thought it would be good time to switch my ISP. So I've been living in the dark ages for a while, miss you all a bunch can't wait to get back. Corrigan we're definitely finishing that darn stupid high school game at some point. still alive folks just don't have access to anyone right now but I intend to come back with a vengeance so don't worry about me I do very much appreciate the well wishes and the messages though they were very nice.
    8/7
    Scratchy wrote:
    Waiting on a bit of amazon credit to get the last piece i need for the ol comp. I am so ready to play it's not even funny. 3 months without anything but a work computer is driving me nuts.

A couple of months is now 1-2 weeks whoo!

ISP is done so I can actually follow my favorite thread now! It's been a while, is it still acceptable to gift bad rats?

• Options
    Karoz wrote: »
    Jragghen wrote: »

I was hoping to use it on the Borderlands Pre-Sequel but alas it's not on GMG.

It is, it just doesn't show up in search for some reason
    http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/shooter/borderlands-pre-sequel-na/

FYI you can't use any GMG credit with that coupon. I was planning on preordering it when I saw the coupon but since it wouldn't let me use my credit I'll just wait.

This discussion has been closed.