As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

and now, without further ado, your khans of tarkir! [MtG]

• Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    Oh Kibler, you rapscalion.
    Ok guys now I have a question about Jeskai storm. I have seen people playing astral Cornucopia teamed up with Retraction helix and claiming they can get turn three kills. I just cant see how that works.

The Astral Cornucopia variation is sort of what started the concept that lead to what the deck is now. Its a similar idea only a lot more fragile and basically entirely reliant on your opponent doing stone nothing (including playing blockers) and for you to having the precisely right cards in your hand. Someone posted an image in this thread a while back of the concept, put it goes something like this: Turn 1 Island, Fugitive Wizard. Turn 2 Mountain, Helix on Wizard. Turn 3: Plains, Ascendancy, Cornicopia for X=0, Use Helix to bounce Cornicopia, repeat, until Wizard is infinitely large. Hit opponent.

Its cute, but ultimately inferior to the current versions being bandied about. The current Storm lists are better because there's a LOT more redundancy to the engine as well as multiple wincon options. But credit where credit is due. It was that idea then set people down the path that lead to Storm.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Ok guys now I have a question about Jeskai storm. I have seen people playing astral Cornucopia teamed up with Retraction helix and claiming they can get turn three kills. I just cant see how that works.

The Astral Cornucopia variation is sort of what started the concept that lead to what the deck is now. Its a similar idea only a lot more fragile and basically entirely reliant on your opponent doing stone nothing (including playing blockers) and for you to having the precisely right cards in your hand. Someone posted an image in this thread a while back of the concept, put it goes something like this: Turn 1 Island, Fugitive Wizard. Turn 2 Mountain, Helix on Wizard. Turn 3: Plains, Ascendancy, Cornicopia for X=0, Use Helix to bounce Cornicopia, repeat, until Wizard is infinitely large. Hit opponent.

Its cute, but ultimately inferior to the current versions being bandied about. The current Storm lists are better because there's a LOT more redundancy to the engine as well as multiple wincon options. But credit where credit is due. It was that idea then set people down the path that lead to Storm.

Yeah I paid zero attention to that version but people have started to play 1-of's of Helix and Corn and I see the appeal now. Helix makes fizzle impossible and Corn is at least a free loot.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Small correction, Helix only lasts for one turn, it's not an Aura.

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    can I pay one of you to come organise my cards for me

Yes.

Yes you can.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    Radius wrote: »

Yes.

Yes you can.

You're local, too, aren't you? Seattle?

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    So I mad temur monsters to play against storm and it feels pretty close. I've been playing it with the "opponent" already knowing he needs to kill dorks but things still go ok. I'm trying helix though because having some amount of interaction in the main deck seems important against aggro and midrange decks and it doesn't get in the way of the combo at all. As such I am considering a 1-of Cornucopia. It plays well into the combo and seems pretty good. Also considering one or two twin flames.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I wish I had pulled out all my old magic cards the last time the storage unit was open, onslaught block was one of the last I really played before the Long Break and I secretly hope I have a lot of fetches I just don't remember because I was too dumb to appreciate how good they were (even though I know I don't because I probably cracked like 2 packs but whatever)

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Yeah green really got the shaft in that cycle of color hate creatures. Whoops, looks like the top two decks get to pre-sideboard against green because the black one is insane and the blue one loves the devotion.

• Options
    It almost never failed that blue had a tidebinder every time i played a reckoner. : (

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Which creatures are you talking about?

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Rare color hate creatures — Fiendslayer Paladin, Tidebinder Mage, Lifebane Zombie, Mindsparker and Witchstalker,

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    Mindsparker was almost cool

A little late to be the delved hate card he deserved to be though

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    Delver rather

But yeah tidebinder and lifebane were too real

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I think Mindsparker could have been a thing if not for Reckoner and Chandra's Phoenix.

• Options
    I played Mindsparker out of the board against UW control for a while. It did some real work there.

• Options

Yes.

Yes you can.

Mm-hmm, Lake City

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    I
    The Betman wrote: »
    I played Mindsparker out of the board against UW control for a while. It did some real work there.

I ran it as a two of out of the side.

Following Eidolon and making U/W Control players pay 3 life for Divination felt good man.

• Options
    In an M15 draft. Opened Chandra to flip for more tix for lands.

Ended up in... mediocre RW deck, but have won the first round so far. Game 1, I mulled to 6 and kept a one lander... but my opponents 7 didn't do ANYTHING for the first few turns so I got there.

Game 2? Burning Anger on Miner's Bane sealed the deal.

• Options

Yes.

Yes you can.

Mm-hmm, Lake City

I! But! But that's where I live!

we need to play magic cards and also go eat heaven sent fried chicken

• Options
    I am all about the Heaven Sent Fried Chicken and especially the rolls.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    You guys are like 15 minutes away from me. That's basically forever.

admanb on
  • Options
    PA MAGIC PARTY

SEAMAGPAX

• Options
    Ended up 2-1. Lost in the finals to a nasty UG deck with like 3 peel from realities, an Aetherspouts, 2 Lynxs.

Still happy!

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    okay so bad brew time aka miller time (fuckin burn on you, miller) but I've been trying to come up with a fairly aggro mardu list that attempts to steer away from the 3-color aggro problems as much as possible, by centering it in one color (in this case, black, though I was originally looking at red) and then having a couple of gold cards near the top of its curve, and trying to avoid colored mana symbols as much as possible

the primary aim was to make a butcher deck that wasn't as midrangey as others I've seen, and to make something a little more fun to me than just monoblack aggro. ideally it'll have more staying power than sligh while being fast-ish enough to not get rabbled to death

anyhow the mana is of course a big question mark, and I haven't tested it at all. planning on doing some of that tonight if possible

black butcher

creatch
    4 bloodsoaked champion
    4 gnarled scarhide
    4 mardu skullhunter
    2 spiteful returned
    1 jeering instigator
    4 goblin rabblemaster
    3 grim haruspex
    3 butcher of the horde
    1 necropolis fiend

chantz
    2 mardu ascendancy
    1 whip of erebos

sorcerants
    3 thoughtseize
    1 bile blight
    2 hero's downfall
    2 murderous cut

lan'
    4 bloodstained mire
    5 swamp
    2 mountain
    1 plains
    2 temple of silence
    2 temple of malice
    4 caves of koilos
    2 nomad outpost
    1 urborg

the necropolis fiend slot is another question mark. It's a shot at something I'd like (5 toughness flier with the god gun) but it's gonna depend on how fast it fills a graveyard of course. Also thought about 1-of liliana vess or dictate of erebos, but maybe I'm better served with just another removal card or some other cheap thing

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    Mana Confluence over Nomad Outpost, I think?

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    i had those swapped but then got cold feet about the lifeloss! but you are probably right.

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    i was originally also still toying with heralds of torment and like main deck ulcerate and was worried i was going to die when an aggro deck farted near me

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    taplands in an aggro deck in general worry me

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options

yeah me too

assume i replace outpost with confluence and want to be able to cast butcher turn 4 if i draw it

also assume i don't want to trash the idea just yet for mono aggro

do i just run 4 confluence, more basics and pray? white fetches and another urborg or something? i haven't played any aggro with temples yet, but I figured in small quantities the scry might be worth it

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    you should be more than capable of offsetting the confluence with butcher

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    2-3x Battlefield Forge.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    ight ight

maybe more like...

4 bloodstained mire
    5 swamp
    1 mountain
    3 battlefield forge
    4 caves of koilos
    4 mana confluence
    2 urborg

i should probably just have 4 butchers too i spose

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options

yeah me too

assume i replace outpost with confluence and want to be able to cast butcher turn 4 if i draw it

do i just run 4 confluence, more basics and pray? white fetches and another urborg or something? i haven't played any aggro with temples yet, but I figured in small quantities the scry might be worth it

I can ask my buddy if he is willing to share his monoblack aggro list if you'd like, only requires like 8 cards from khans so its ez to get up and running

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    impulse bought 3 sorins at $12 each

let's do this shit

so he's at $20 now

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

Wonder if the new Briber's purse will see play in these decks, comes down for 0 when needed, but can also provide mild control if combo not ready to go off yet.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Managed to pick up my Caryatids, Kiora Followers and Satyrs and Yavimaya coasts. Confluence is just... out of my budget at the moment. I sadly dont expect it to go back down, but I also think its probably at its peak now. Should be able to pick some up later when I have more cash.

Once Khans hits Ill eb able to pick up the trilands I need.

• Options

let's do this shit

so he's at $20 now

Who spilled the beans

• Options
    The Betman wrote: »

yeah me too

I can ask my buddy if he is willing to share his monoblack aggro list if you'd like, only requires like 8 cards from khans so its ez to get up and running

for sure!

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular

let's do this shit

so he's at $20 now

Who spilled the beans

BW Soldiers with Athreos and new Sorin. It might be a thing.

This discussion has been closed.