As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Zelda] thread. BOTW spoilers WILL be posted before release. Watch your step!

WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPEDRegistered User regular
edited February 2017 in Social Entropy++
Da5wEBQ.jpg

Oh no.

Oh yes. We got us our big new flagship Zelda reveal for realsies, and it is time to get properly hyped.

Sigh. All right tell me about this new Zelda.

Will I ever!

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is Nintendo's response to concerns about their flagship adventure series becoming stagnant over time. A lot of the conversations surrounding the series in the last few years has focused on how Zelda has become "more of the same," retreading the same ground walked by Ocarina of Time nearly twenty years ago, and Breath of the Wild has been built specifically to shake things up.

lFNFR4J.jpg?1
We gonna hit monsters with big swords. That part's the same.

All right, so what makes Breath of the Wild different from every other Zelda since Link to the Past?

The principle behind Breath of the Wild is that it's returning to the design roots of the original Legend of Zelda, reimagined and updated for a modern game-playing audience. Essentially the player is free to explore the world however they wish and approach a given problem in multiple ways. See an enemy encampment where Bokoblins are waiting to wreck you as soon as they see you? Well, you can just charge in and outfight them, as is the tradition for the series since the beginning. Or you could use the game's new stealth mechanics to enter undetected and take all of your enemies down silently. Or you could set up a series of environmental traps and blow them all to Hell with exploding barrels, or smush them with boulders, or not engage at all and just ride on by!

That principle, where one is free to explore in the way one chooses and make one's own path, is a core part of the game's structure. The world is segmented in that moving between different zones can be difficult, but any part of it can be tackled in any order, with or without being directed toward it by the narrative. The exact degree and nature of that freedom isn't yet known, but Aonuma has said that a particularly determined player could make a fairly straight run toward the final boss from the word go.

Cool, but what are some more specific things this game brings to the table?
  • A wholly open world where challenges can be tackled in any order, with or without being properly equipped.
  • The ability to climb nearly any surface, opening up exploration options in a way that no Zelda game ever has. See a wall? You can probably climb it. A tower, a mountain, whatever you please, you can try to get to the top. You are only limited by...
  • The return of the stamina system established in Skyward Sword and refined in Link Between Worlds. Dashing, climbing, and various other actions all consume stamina, which replenishes over time.
  • Actual physics, where every object in the game (even Link when he's hit) is a physics-based object, which ties into how to solve many puzzles.
  • Stealth mechanics, including a noise meter and the ability to sneak up on enemies and perform stealth attacks.
  • Enemies of different strengths roam the world, including the return of Blue Bad-asses from Zelda 1. Particularly dangerous enemies can kill an early-game Link in a single hit.
  • A dynamic weather system that affects environmental interactions. Rain will affect one's ability to climb, the temperature will drop at night, different enemies will be active at different times of day, thunderstorms mean you can get struck by lightning, etc.
  • The overworld is dotted with critically powerful enemies that function as boss battles you can engage in (or run away from) while exploring.
  • A survival system has been implemented, including the ability to gather resources and build campfires, a cooking system, and different survival factors being affected by the weather (dress warm when it's cold).
  • You can cook food items gathered from enemies and the environment to create healing or stat-enhancing items.
  • The game has different weapon and armor now, with stats! Different weapons will have different movesets and attack ratings, while clothing will have defensive stats and ability modifiers. Also, all of it looks different, so you can play Fashion Zelda at last.
  • Link got Witch Time now.
  • The weapons degrade over time, and need to be replaced on the fly with weapons scavenged from enemies.

RRoP3Bo.jpg?1
Gotta love that mushroom-and-mushroom kebab smell.

Wait, weapon degradation? I hate weapon degradation!

It's not like Dark Souls where you end up having one weapon you upgrade all the way and have to worry about it breaking, and then spend resources repairing it. The rhythm of the game is that you take a weapon, beat up enemies with it, then take their weapons to beat up more enemies. Think of it as being like picking up ammo in a shooter; the weapons are disposable, and stronger weapons can still be saved for beating up stronger enemies but in general you'll be slapping somebody, taking his club, and then using his club to beat up a few of his buddies.

All right, that all sounds pretty different. What's it coming out on?

All footage of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild so far has been seen on the Wii U, but the game is also launching simultaneously on the NX. Differences between the two versions are completely unknown at this point.

When is it coming out?

2017, but we have no idea when. After the NX launch, so we'll probably have a date when Nintendo talks about the NX.

Is there a trailer?

Shiiiiiiiiit

The game isn't going to be out for at least 9 months. This isn't... this isn't just a Breath of the Wild thread is it.

No! Talk about Twilight Princess and Wind Waker and all the others, as you please! It'll be a while before we hear about Breath of the Wild again, so let's talk about all the Zelda we can in the meantime. Love us some Zelda!

Zelda.

dN0T6ur.png
Wyborn on

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Hyrule Warriors is something like the third Nintendo game where I've actually pre-ordered DLC for it. I think I might have a problem.

But man it sure is fun to play this game in co-op. @SilverWind takes the TV while I play on the Gamepad, it's pretty fun. We take on different mission objectives (I go after optional bosses while she takes on Skulltulas, then it's about clearing bases while she progresses the main story) and coordinate for the most important boss battles

All of the designs for the characters original to this game are super weird, though. Wizzro's fine but Volga's kind of boring, and Cia...

dN0T6ur.png
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    "Willst thou suck"

Goddamn, that is the worst

Ocarina of Time is amazing but that ad is so awful

It was 1998, that line made perfect sense at the time!

Also the alternative was "Wilst thou get the girl or play like one" and that one was really awful

In every other way, though, that was my favorite trailer for anything for years. I still really like it! I'm kind of sad that Nintendo doesn't use Poledouris for their ads anymore

dN0T6ur.png
    Just saying

They put out the Smash Bros. ad one year later and it still may be one of the most perfect ads I've seen

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    Zelda seems kinda neat really from the giant bomb quick look

man I almost fell asleep during that

I like the visual design of Link a LOT though

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    I don't think Warriors game in general are for me, but I really like this game's co-op mode. It's near to run around as Sheik and kick people in the face while the wife slices and dices on the other side of the map as Link.

It's also kind of neat how they handle the old-school Zelda bosses. Manhandla was fun, even though the encounter design had some problems

dN0T6ur.png
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    I haven't finished watching the quick look but warriors fatigue set in for me basically immediately

uc3ufTB.png
    Wyborn wrote: »
    I don't think Warriors game in general are for me, but I really like this game's co-op mode. It's near to run around as Sheik and kick people in the face while the wife slices and dices on the other side of the map as Link.

It's also kind of neat how they handle the old-school Zelda bosses. Manhandla was fun, even though the encounter design had some problems

Wyborn have you and silverwind played the lego games

Me and ms chilla love those things coop and I probably wouldn't play it by myself so I get it

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    Oh my god

I had run out of things I wanted to see made into lego games

Nintendo universe Lego

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Anyways, @Wyborn‌ gets an F for making a Legend of Zelda OP that doesn't even mention Wind Waker

Oh my god

Nintendo universe Lego

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck

This is what it would take to get her to pick up a LEGO game, basically. She loves a lot of the properties they've dealt with - Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, the Hobbit, and Marvel - but none of them have quite hit that magic button. Nintendo Universe LEGO would be like Mushroom Kingdom Hearts (replace Square stuff with Nintendo stuff in Kingdom Hearts) in that it would get her to play a series she otherwise doesn't care about

Hyrule Warriors is kind of built on that principle, I think

As I was playing through the first level, the only level you're forced to solo, she asked me, "So, would you play a Zelda character action game?"

I have never given someone such a despairing, dead-eyed stare in my entire life

dN0T6ur.png
    Oh my god

Nintendo universe Lego

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck

This is what it would take to get her to pick up a LEGO game, basically. She loves a lot of the properties they've dealt with - Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, the Hobbit, and Marvel - but none of them have quite hit that magic button. Nintendo Universe LEGO would be like Mushroom Kingdom Hearts (replace Square stuff with Nintendo stuff in Kingdom Hearts) in that it would get her to play a series she otherwise doesn't care about

As I was playing through the first level, the only level you're forced to solo, she asked me, "So, would you play a Zelda character action game?"

Hyrule Warriors IS a zelda character action game

6791.jpg

• BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    the best zelda game is: minish cap

Oh my god

Nintendo universe Lego

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck

I think she meant something more like the Korra game, which is a dream come true for that series. If they did a treatment like that for Zelda I'd go insane.
    Beasteh wrote: »

Show me your kinstone tattoo Beasteh

dN0T6ur.png
    Oh my god

Nintendo universe Lego

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck

I think she meant something more like the Korra game, which is a dream come true for that series. If they did a treatment like that for Zelda I'd go insane.

Show me your kinstone tattoo Beasteh

Yeah I was just busting your balls

The truth is there are a ton of cool things other devs could do with nintendos ip and I'm just really bitter they chose the dang dw team

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular

fucking THANK YOU

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Ah man, I was going to make a general Nintendo thread for this and nintendo's other fall stuff, since I doubt Captain Toad is going to be able to keep a thread going by itself when it comes out.

Anyway, Hyrule Warriors. While the original characters are ok to boring to bad, I really like their versions of the Zelda characters. Impa in particular is pretty awesome. And while I have access to OoT and TP Ganondorf costumes, there's no way in hell I'm going to switch off of 80's power ballad Ganondorf that they made for this game.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I hear a lot of shit talk about n twilight princess but I really liked it.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
    SLyM wrote: »
    I hear a lot of shit talk about n twilight princess but I really liked it.

Let me tell you about how its the best 3d zelda

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    fuckin' impa in this game

slicing fools like there's no tomorrow, I love it

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Thanks to the power of the 3DS, a Link Between Worlds is the best 2D and 3D Zelda.

YL9WnCY.png
  • HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    Maybe you've heard of them some.

Man did anyone see this trailer in theaters in 1998? Did I imagine that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzhw_jxWJoU

That was the first time I ever saw anything related to a Zelda game (my father had missed out on the NES games, somehow, and I was a Genesis kid, to my shame) and this trailer blew my mind.

Wow, I vaguely remember this. Don't think I saw it in theaters though, but I'm pretty sure I've seen it.

vEaRQgH.png
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Also, I want Impa to star in the new Zelda so bad. Her Warriors design is rad.

YL9WnCY.png
    I actually still prefer her Skyward Sword design.

I hope that ends up being one of the DLC costumes.

dN0T6ur.png
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    i honestly think ocarina of time has been a little overrated

it was great, don't get me wrong, but it had flaws

majora's mask is my fav N64 zelda anyway

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Has there been any more news about Skyrim Zelda since E3?

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Has there been any more news about Skyrim Zelda since E3?
    A bit:
    Its not even remotely like skyrim stop it.-Miyamoto
    Link isnt a girl- Aounoma

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    edited September 2014
    Aonuma did say they were listening to fans on the gender thing, though - or, rather, encouraged fans to continue speaking out about their feelings on it

So, who knows? In this game or the next one we might get a toggle for it, which would be rad

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I doubt Link will ever have the option to be a girl but I think Zelda or Impa may eventually be playable . Theyve clearly been toying with dual protagonists for a while.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Hyrule Warriors is really fun so far. I bet it's great co-op.

• cornellcornell Registered User regular
    Taya wrote: »
    Hyrule Warriors is really fun so far. I bet it's great co-op.

It was fun solo, but infinitely more entertaining with someone else, especially for the missions that are quite difficult.

So once we beat the branch paths

Does anyone know how much is left???

How long even is Legend Mode

dN0T6ur.png
  • YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Legend mode goes for quite a bit and does the usual Zelda faire a lot better than Twilight Princess.

But oh my god, Cia made @Darth Waiter‌ and I so uncomfortable.

I'm more comfortable playing Bayonetta around people than having her cut scenes on the screen.

Also, co-op is really fun and we never noticed the frame rate drop. The game looked fine on the TV and only seemed to be low res on the controller.

• Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    I like musou games and I love the Zelda franchise. Hyrule Warriors is amazeballs solo and even better on co-op.

• Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    I really want to ply Hyrule Warriors

Zelda looks cool as shit

• Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    I really want to ply Hyrule Warriors

Zelda looks cool as shit

She's a baller, no question.

And for all the Zelda purists out there, you'll instantly recognize the proper voice actors for all the canon characters; no actual dialogue, but all their war cries and whatnot are spot on.

• YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    All of the characters I've unlocked are pretty unique and fun.

Hell, even Lana is crazy fun with the Deku Spear.

• Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    I couldn't handle co-op

That framerate...

This discussion has been closed.