As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Zelda] thread. BOTW spoilers WILL be posted before release. Watch your step!

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I like musou games and I love the Zelda franchise. Hyrule Warriors is amazeballs solo and even better on co-op.

please don't use offensive language, darth

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I really want to ply Hyrule Warriors

Zelda looks cool as shit

She's a baller, no question.

And for all the Zelda purists out there, you'll instantly recognize the proper voice actors for all the canon characters; no actual dialogue, but all their war cries and whatnot are spot on.

Is it the Ocarina of Time/Wind Waker Ganondorf (who was also Demise) or the Twilight Princess Ganondorf?

The purist in me has to know

dN0T6ur.png
  • SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    I die a little each time the narrator speaks in Hyrule Warriors.

But other than that, it's pretty great

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I'm going back for the gold skulltulas and heart pieces on the stages I've beaten. I really wish the skulltulas didn't flee but I guess that's the challenge.

I love everything about Sheik.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I want to play through wind waker

• YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    So I'm playing as Zelda and DW is Ganondorf. We're on an adventure map and killing the Enemy Commander. I use Zelda's special attack, but the commander is just out of the hit box.

Then DW clobbers them into position to get a light arrow to the face.

Wyborn wrote: »

Zelda looks cool as shit

And for all the Zelda purists out there, you'll instantly recognize the proper voice actors for all the canon characters; no actual dialogue, but all their war cries and whatnot are spot on.

Is it the Ocarina of Time/Wind Waker Ganondorf (who was also Demise) or the Twilight Princess Ganondorf?

All of the above.

• EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I think I've played...3 Zelda games?

Phantom Hourglass, Link Between Worlds, and Wind Waker, in that order

• Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    I like musou games and I love the Zelda franchise. Hyrule Warriors is amazeballs solo and even better on co-op.

please don't use offensive language, darth

Por que no?

Am I not merciful colorful?

AM I NOT COLORFUL?!?

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I just bought a link between worlds while I was on vacation, only my second zelda game.

I'm enjoying it so far.

I wish Hyrule warriors was available on 3ds though.
    Don't really want to buy a console just for it.

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I've slowly been making progress playing wind waker at the girlfrien's place (long distance blegh)

Got the penultimate triforce piece tonight, probably will beat it in another couple weeks

I'm enjoying it a lot for my first real 3D zelda experience

miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png
    I think I need the Hyrule Warriors soundtrack. It's exactly the kind of thing I'd listen to in the car.

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Kinda sucks you can't use the Wii's classic controller pro with Hyrule Warriors. It's got all the same buttons as the gamepad/Wii U pro controller, but nope.

My brother doesn't mind the Wiimote + nunchuck controls, but I hate em. Waggle to attack isn't my thing.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Just saying

They put out the Smash Bros. ad one year later and it still may be one of the most perfect ads I've seen

I remember laughing about this ad with friends in High School, and we all thought it was great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K783SDTBKmg

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

Yukira wrote: »

Zelda looks cool as shit

All of the above.

S

So they got the one guy voicing Ganondorf and the other guy voicing someone else...?

dN0T6ur.png
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Just finished Link Between Worlds. Curse these jaded gamer skills. If only I could be 12 again and paralyzed by fear of wallmasters in the forest and shadow temples. Oh, woe is me! But seriously it was good aside from not being challenging enough for my personal tastes. I unlocked hard mode apparently but I don't really want to play through it a second time so it would have been nice to have that option from the outset.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Has there been any more news about Skyrim Zelda since E3?
    A bit:
    Its not even remotely like skyrim stop it.-Miyamoto
    Link isnt a girl- Aounoma

Aww man :(

Zelda looks cool as shit

All of the above.

S

So they got the one guy voicing Ganondorf and the other guy voicing someone else...?

I thought it was the same guy in all three. I didn't check the credits, but Ganondorf did sound somewhat like a mix of OoT/WW/TP.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Has there been any more news about Skyrim Zelda since E3?
    A bit:
    Its not even remotely like skyrim stop it.-Miyamoto
    Link isnt a girl- Aounoma

Aww man :(

I mean people heard "more open world" and just plopped that descriptor out. It was never gonna be like skyrim

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    Just finished Link Between Worlds. Curse these jaded gamer skills. If only I could be 12 again and paralyzed by fear of wallmasters in the forest and shadow temples. Oh, woe is me! But seriously it was good aside from not being challenging enough for my personal tastes. I unlocked hard mode apparently but I don't really want to play through it a second time so it would have been nice to have that option from the outset.

They give you the opiton for Hero Mode right off the bat in Wind Waker, and I think also in Skyward Sword, which is my preference

Hero Mode in Link Between Worlds doesn't piss around, though. Just beat the first dungeon. That won't take you long, and it may whet your appetite.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Pretty sure you still need to beat the game to unlock Hero Mode in Skyward Sword, but I haven't actually booted it up in a while so I may be misremembering.

Hyrule Warriors is, interesting, I played a lot of Warriors games a while back and grew tired of them, HW has the same mechanics which I don't care for, but the extra stuff and Zelda stylings make it kind of fun to play. I just unlocked Girahim and he seems entertaining. Although it bugs me how you have to re-do maps constantly in Adventure Mode just to get enough item cards to unlock what you want.

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Yeah you don't get hero mode off the bat in skyward sword

That is one of the most frustrating things about the Zelda series for me

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    edited September 2014
    Well

It was there for Wind Waker, in any case

It's kind of interesting the way LBW handles Hero Mode as compared to the 3D games that have it; in SS and WW you have enemies do double the damage, and hearts don't drop. If you want to heal, you need to either use a potion/fairy or find a heart piece/container (or take a nap in SS but you have to go back to Skyloft for that).

In Link Between Worlds you can find all the hearts you want, but enemies do quadruple damage. The weakest enemy you run into on the way to the first dungeon is an Octorok and that thing does 2 hearts of damage to you in a single hit. It's a nightmare.

It creates a very different dynamic, where Wind Waker and Skyward Sword demand high-level play over the course of the whole dungeon, and each encounter becomes more and more desperate until you reach the boss.

Whereas in Link Between Worlds, the early part of the game has every single fight be absolute life-or-death, but if you make a single mistake you can heal up between the fights to be prepped for the next one, so each fight is much easier to lose than in SS or WW but you can make many more mistakes over the course of a dungeon.

I'm not sure which I prefer. Both have their advantages.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    YES HELLO IS THIS THE ZELDA THREAD I AM HOME NOW

• BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    did anyone ever play the weakest link challenge where you beat the game without upgrading your heart containers and treating it as hardcore (no fairies, no invincibility)

i've done it several times in oot but always failed in mm

Beasteh on
    Do you not allow yourselves continues, Beasteh

That seems like it would be tough in a lot of the games, including OoT

Do you allow yourself tunic/defense upgrades?

dN0T6ur.png
    Okay so, I don't normally do this, so my wording might be a bit awkward. Some Hyrule Warriors spoilers to follow.

Cia
    Cia's design is terrible. We all know that. What really drives it home is the usual Dynasty Warriors animations and mannerisms when talking that really highlight how bad her costume is. Her boss fight intro video is just straight up gross. The camera pans up her bare leg and swings around to her ass, where she slaps her hand on the pinstripe dress. Then it immediately cuts to an undershot of her chest and lingers there before finally panning up to her head.

Straight up the male-gazingest camera shot since DoA Beach Volleyball.

What makes this worse is why Cia is evil and in turn makes Lana something of a problematic character too. Cia dares to want something other than to be a good little girl and do her job, so evil is able to worm its way into her heart and corrupt her. She goes from probably wearing something modest, to being an evil sexy babe who wears practically nothing. It's a very terrible attempt at trying to entice Link with her sexy curves.

Lana on the other hand is Cia's good side that was ejected when the darkness took over. Lana is a mirror opposite of Cia. A good girl who wears a cute outfit that isn't meant to entice. It really comes off as Lana knows her place so she gets to survive, while Cia dies because she dared to want something outside of her designated place in life.

It just really seems to have this underlying tone of "Behave, know your place, and don't ever flaunt what you got because it will only lead to problems."

I feel like they were going for a "tragic" character, but it's completely ruined by Lana being the perfect little anime princess.

Do you not allow yourselves continues, Beasteh

That seems like it would be tough in a lot of the games, including OoT

Do you allow yourself tunic/defense upgrades?

tunic, shield etc is fair game

no continues, if you fuck up you die and thats it

haha wow i haven't even looked at hyrule warriors and cia is HUGELY problematic

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Oot is doable. MM has way better boss AI though. Gyorg alone will drive you nuts

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    kids will buy this game and internalize that shit

Cia.
    The only time she attempts to have any sort of agency is when Ganondorf tries to take over and she just kicks him to the curb.

And stays boy crazy. Maybe she'd try and change direction? Nope. Gonna make a bunch of innuendo taunts on the next map.

• SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    man what

did they forget how to make a zelda game or something

shouldn't they have a book for that

edited September 2014
    Story spoilers
    Ganondorf fully revives himself after you kill Cia. The next three missions are you as Ganondorf beating the shit out of everyone to collect the Triforce.

Hyrule Warriors did a better job at dropping in Ganondorf than Twilight Princess.

Yukira on
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2014
    Cia.
    The only time she attempts to have any sort of agency is when Ganondorf tries to take over and she just kicks him to the curb.

And stays boy crazy. Maybe she'd try and change direction? Nope. Gonna make a bunch of innuendo taunts on the next map.

Which also makes little sense;
    "I need to banish you, so I am going to get rid of the triforce of wisdom and courage first, because clearly having those is holding me back.

Ok good, now that I have banished you, I will go back to trying to capture the triforce of wisdom and courage that I...just...crap."

Also Cia's face looks way too young for her body. It's like a 14yr old had extensive plastic surgery.

Morkath on
    Morkath wrote: »
    Cia.

Which also makes little sense;
    "I need to banish you, so I am going to get rid of the triforce of wisdom and courage first, because clearly having those is holding me back.

Ok good, now that I have banished you, I will go back to trying to capture the triforce of wisdom and courage that I...just...crap."

Also Cia's face looks way too young for her body. It's like a 14yr old had plastic surgery.
    Literally crazy because she wanted more than her lot in life. And the plastic surgery is because she wanted to be more appealing to Link.

• DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    cia was pretty bad design yeah

on the bright side i thought volga was super rad?

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    The main story line makes pretty much zero sense and it's probably best not to dwell on it as much more as an excuse for stringing together a bunch of battles. Honestly you could probably skip the cut-scenes and get a reasonable sense of what's going on without having to sit through a bunch of poor voice-over work and anime pantomine.

But Cia is easily the worst part of the game as far as I'm concerned, just a dreadful design.

• MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    cia was pretty bad design yeah

on the bright side i thought volga was super rad?

"RAAAGH"
    "AARRRG"
    "I DON'T NEED THIS DARK POWER TO BEAT YOU"

Really my only complaint with Volga (and Wizzro) is there was really nothing too him. I was expecting SOME dialog giving him SOME bit of character.

I did really like the Wizzro character though.

• DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    i mostly meant design wise, otherwise i agree

wizzro was pretty awesome

7yh4xczljsym.png
This discussion has been closed.