As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gang Beasts, And Other [Indie Games]

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    UK speech law is a bit draconian, you can get charged with libel for saying things that are true

US speech law is a bit too lax, it's effectively impossible to get anyone convicted of libel

We need some kind of middle ground

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    UK speech law is a bit draconian, you can get charged with libel for saying things that are true

US speech law is a bit too lax, it's effectively impossible to get anyone convicted of libel

We need some kind of middle ground

Not as hard as it sounds in the US if 1) the media isn't involved; 2) you're not a "public figure" and 3) it's very clearly a fact alleged and not an opinion.

Like, if you go around town claiming that you slept with someone and you really didn't that is ridiculously actionable if that someone wants to sue your ass for defamation/slander.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Yeah libel/slander statues in the US are one thing I think is actually tuned properly. Truth should definitely be an absolute defense there.

Simon Singh has been championing reform of the UK's statutes. Incidentally he also wrote one of my favorite books (The Code Book, a history of cryptography).

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    yo are there some good comprehensive articles breaking down what's going on with gamergate and why it is shit, aimed at people who aren't necessarily gamers?

i'm seein some fuckin breitbart articles passed around on my facebook and have zero patience today

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    yo are there some good comprehensive articles breaking down what's going on with gamergate and why it is shit, aimed at people who aren't necessarily gamers?

i'm seein some fuckin breitbart articles passed around on my facebook and have zero patience today

Leigh Alexander did a piece for Time: http://time.com/3274247/video-game-culture-war/

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    most appreciated, thanks

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Yeah libel/slander statues in the US are one thing I think is actually tuned properly. Truth should definitely be an absolute defense there.

Simon Singh has been championing reform of the UK's statutes. Incidentally he also wrote one of my favorite books (The Code Book, a history of cryptography).

I finished reading that book like 2 weeks ago! It was a pretty interesting read

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    I was kind of aware that speech laws were fucked in the UK but not aware that something being true was not a defense, that is crazy

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Yes, because whether Gone Home can be called a videogame or not is totally within the realm of "Game Ethics."

Good grief.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    jim STERLING is IN BED with CHRIS REMO

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    We should all be so lucky.

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    jim STERLING is IN BED with CHRIS REMO

I would listen to a podcast that is just Jim Sterling coming up with elaborate plots to literally get in bed with Chris Remo.
    I miss The Dismal Jesters.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    RubycatRubycat Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Jim sterling was labeled an "enemy" by the Gamergaters earlier than even this little non issue, mostly because he decided to not side with them, the same with MovieBob who also does content over there at the escapist.
    "if you're not with us, you're against us"

Rubycat on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: Rubycat3 / NintentdoID: Rubycat
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    What about my against us?

• Options
    RubycatRubycat Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    This is war! *cough cough, I think I choked on stupid"
    I did type those out as you're. it didn't save that draft. I swear

Rubycat on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: Rubycat3 / NintentdoID: Rubycat
  • Options
    We have thousands and thousands of people behind this, but our voices are only a fraction of what they could be, if only the silent majority would DO SOMETHING.

Stand up and be heard. You're already here hearing and talking about this. That's half the battle.

Now finish it.

What the hell have you done today?

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    So gamergate is the religious right of video games? Amazing

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    We have thousands and thousands of people behind this, but our voices are only a fraction of what they could be, if only the silent majority would DO SOMETHING.

Stand up and be heard. You're already here hearing and talking about this. That's half the battle.

Now finish it.

I made hamburger helper but forgot to drain the grease and now it tastes like grease

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

Now finish it.

Cool Bray Wyatt promo.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

Now finish it.

I love that in these big sweeping speeches they never actually say what 'this' is

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    to be fair i have cropped some of it out so that it's possible to read the entire thing without your eyes glazing over

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Kwoaru wrote: »

This is hilarious because just a few days ago I read a tweet where a gamergater labelled SJW's as the Religious Right of the 21st century.

Apparently everyone's the religious right to their opponents.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Holy shit the giant bomb unfinished thing for gangbeasts from the 3rd of september

all that climbing had the most perfectly possible end

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

Now finish it.

I love that in these big sweeping speeches they never actually say what 'this' is

The "Tastes Great" "Less Filling" war has escalated.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

Now finish it.

Because they don't even know what "this" is beyond they have a hunch "this" exists, and well a hunch is more than enough to turn something into a giant excuse for douchebaggery and dickshitting

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    gamegaters do overlap with the demographic that thinks religion is for stupid babies

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Fishman wrote: »

This is hilarious because just a few days ago I read a tweet where a gamergater labelled SJW's as the Religious Right of the 21st century.

Apparently everyone's the religious right to their opponents.

Any group that claims silent/moral majority status is the religious right (so yes probably everyone is to somebody)

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    -Tal wrote: »
    gamegaters do overlap with the demographic that thinks religion is for stupid babies

It's a key demographic for fedora sales.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    SwissLionSwissLion We are beside ourselves! Registered User regular

Now finish it.

Because they don't even know what "this" is beyond they have a hunch "this" exists, and well a hunch is more than enough to turn something into a giant excuse for douchebaggery and dickshitting

And many of the "thises" they do agree on are fabrications or misinformation, or ignorance about normal, professional lives.

ImWcN1I.png?3
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular

• Options
    Well the Muslims are occupying a lot of Jewish territory, forcing them into a city that's being bombed with blockades, hiding behind superior firepower...

Yeah, there's no way that's not satire.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Tempted to make a twitter account to draw similarities to the Children's Crusade

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    The replies to that tweet are fantastic, by the way

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Wait

So who's the pope in this scenario?

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    and who is laser pope

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Wait

So who's the pope in this scenario?

Tim Schaeffer
    and who is laser pope

Tim Schaeffer

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Who's the Eric Pope?

euj90n71sojo.png
This discussion has been closed.