As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

METAL... GEAR?!

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Zay wrote: »
    holy shit it just dawned on me

did gekkos make their first appearance in mgs4

No they made their first appearance in Super Smash Brothers Brawl.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Huntera wrote: »
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Monsoon's Sai, when you let it charge up, can be the difference between life and death for certain enemy types. Those gorilla bots absolutely hate that thing, and so do the Gekkos

I noticed that Sundowner's scissor blade basically had armor on it in addition to doing SO MUCH DAMAGE that I would get to Zandatsu a gekko in one or two hits

Yeah you get insane damage reduction when you're in the animation for a charged up attack with Sundowner's blade. Even on Revengeance enemies can barely hurt you through it. If you're not going for a No Damage bonus then it's one of the best enemy killers in the whole game (and even if you are, it's super useful if you're careful)

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    Moth 13 wrote: »

No they made their first appearance in Super Smash Brothers Brawl.

oh ok that's good

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular

yep
    http://youtu.be/qHv4qO0mMxM
    I wonder what happened to that coat

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I always think the best example of Moore's Law or whatever of electronics always getting better is videogame graphics

MGS4 was mindblowing in 2008 but it looks kinda bad now

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    Mr. G wrote: »
    All of this theorizing seems so unnecessary and I want literally 0% of it to be in the actual game

How about it's a game about Big Boss being driven to evil in a quest for blind revenge

What's wrong with that

BROTHER

Are you saying Liquid Snake is definitely part of the story for MGSV: The Phantom Pain??

Well actually yes
    mgsv_e3_11.jpg

I hope with all my hope that he still has the accent.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I wouldn't go so far as to say bad but it's definitely not state of the art like it once was

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Everything is so washed-out and unpleasant

The lighting in particular makes it hard to look at at times

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    Eh, the visuals in 4 are fine

It's a little jarring going from 4 to V and the yellow-green filter over everything only feels like a weirder choice the further we get away from the age of 'realistic videogames means brown and gray', but there's isn't really anything that's bad

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    My big takeaway from that vid is how unengaging the choreography and cinematography is compared to Revengeance

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    mistral's staff was my favorite weapon in revengeance

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    My big takeaway from that vid is how unengaging the choreography and cinematography is compared to Revengeance

I just keep thinking "what is Raiden even doing in that tutorial cyborg body"

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I think the choreography is perfectly fine there

• Options
    Parry counter them! Parry counter them, you big nerd!

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    the world used to need a Solid hero, one who wouldn't break against even the deadliest of threats

but the world is a different place now

we need a hero who is malleable. a hero who can fill whatever role we need whenever we need it, who lacks any Solid form for the enemy to strike

we need a hero... who's Gaseous

It's Johnny Sasaki's time now.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    the only legitimate reason to not consider peace walker a mainline mgs is that it doesn't have johnny sasaki

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    the only legitimate reason to not consider peace walker a mainline mgs is that it doesn't have johnny sasaki

Portable Ops does, though, so that argument falls apart a bit

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    yes, portable ops is a mainline title

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    i need to find a good third poster

first one is this

1a82a955f899f80e3641295f6b044301.jpg

second is this

MainView_e15f8f10-1e28-4855-aca2-043e5965a16e_1024x1024.png?v=1393462236

i dunno what to do for number 3 though

i was thinking something earthbound related?

• Options
    oh my god

• Options
    or this
    Speed-Racer.jpg

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    tumblr_mdm3xfbNIa1qg2rdto1_500.jpg

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Spoiled for size
    Attackofthe50ftwoman.jpg

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    flat,800x800,070,f.u1.jpg

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    flat,800x800,070,f.jpg

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    Radius wrote: »
    Spoiled for size
    Attackofthe50ftwoman.jpg

an amazing double entendre, even

• Options
    I'm told drew isn't doing so hot against REX

run toward the missiles, not away from them!

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Drew has beaten Metal Gear! I lost count of the deaths, but hey, it's roll credits now right?

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Is there a collection anywhere of all the Metal Gear Scanlon fan art?

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Man Drew is having a rough time with this, I'm like 90% sure I did this in one go back in the day.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    number13number13 Registered User regular
    Ashcroft wrote: »
    Until watching Metal Gear Scanlon, I had forgotten how many people in that game knew Big Boss.

Even bloody Naomi knew the guy.

I forgot that too.

Makes me wonder if she and/or Grey Fox will show up in TPP.

I mentioned this a few pages back, but some time in the 80s is when Big Boss rescues Frank from torture in Mozambique when he's a soldier for RENAMO, which is also where he meets Naomi. And considering Frank loses his nose and ears to torture there, and the fact that like... everybody is losing SOME kind of limb in TPP, I'd be surprised if he doesn't show up.

2w3e5cp.jpg
  • Options
    Alright drew, time to start VR Missions!

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I am pretty sure I never found that second ration at least. It's been a while though so I can't be certain.

MGS2 in the new year (?) should be good, glad to hear he's going to keep at it, given that this was what pushed me over into Premium.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Huntera wrote: »
    Spoiled for size
    Attackofthe50ftwoman.jpg

an amazing double entendre, even

I'm counting ... like ... four innuendos at least.

• Options
    At any point does Big Boss know, or suspect, that Ocelot
    is The Boss's son?

• Options
    At any point does Big Boss know, or suspect, that Ocelot
    is The Boss's son?

I hear this is actually revealed to him in a codec conversation, but only on a second playthrough.

Never seen it myself, not sure if they'll take that codec call into continuity.

• Options
    http://youtu.be/IjXc8F9n0_U
    you get this convo after fighting ocelot at the ravine

I can only assume Snake put the pieces together when he saw the Boss for the last time, but I dunno he's pretty dense in 3

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Spoiled for size
    Attackofthe50ftwoman.jpg

shit

This discussion has been closed.