As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

G&T Secret Santa 2014: Until next season....

• Options
    RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix SUPER HOTRegistered User regular
    It's the most wonderful time of the year! Santee, I've upped my game this year! Be prepared.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I, on the other hand, am now sitting this one out. For good reasons, naturally. Sucks but it's for the best! Gonna be watching the thread oh so closely though!

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    I, on the other hand, am now sitting this one out. For good reasons, naturally. Sucks but it's for the best! Gonna be watching the thread oh so closely though!

But.. but.. now how am I supposed to finish my "Got X PAer as Secret Santa/Santee" punch card?

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I got Isy as my first assignment, which was daunting as shit.

Radiation on
    PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    If I learned anything from Dumbledore, it is that you get a man who has everything some socks.

I love socks.

• Options
    HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    Just a quick note for people signing up, I'm copying the data from your posts, so if you were super clever and linked your SteamID or Amazon wishlist and then renamed the link in the forum like this "I'm a link!" then I've tried to catch this but you might want to send me the actual text of the link (e.g., http://amazon.com/wishlist/whatever) just to be sure your Santee gets it (rather than a hint of "I have an Amazon wishlist" with no link or address).

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular

I respect your decision but would like to remind you that anyone would be happy with a hand drawing of a crab taking off it's top hat while saying a holiday message. We love you even when you're not raining Vitas down on the Americas as punishment for leaving the commonwealth.

• Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    Hypatia wrote: »
    Just a quick note for people signing up, I'm copying the data from your posts, so if you were super clever and linked your SteamID or Amazon wishlist and then renamed the link in the forum like this "I'm a link!" then I've tried to catch this but you might want to send me the actual text of the link (e.g., http://amazon.com/wishlist/whatever) just to be sure your Santee gets it (rather than a hint of "I have an Amazon wishlist" with no link or address).
    Do you want us to send you another PM or just make a post about it?

• Options

I respect your decision but would like to remind you that anyone would be happy with a hand drawing of a crab taking off it's top hat while saying a holiday message. We love you even when you're not raining Vitas down on the Americas as punishment for leaving the commonwealth.

As money is tight, this might be the route I take this year. I've done a poor 3D model for someone before, along side a gift, but maybe I'll try something new this year!

Do people normally like drawings or something of their favorite video game character or something like that?

I'm giving myself away, aren't I?

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I mean, what's @LewieP's Mummy‌ been up to lately?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Icemopper wrote: »

As money is tight, this might be the route I take this year. I've done a poor 3D model for someone before, along side a gift, but maybe I'll try something new this year!

Do people normally like drawings or something of their favorite video game character or something like that?

Personal gifts are pretty cool, in my book.
    I'm a sucker for a cool painting or figure or something I can put in my office at work!

• Options
    devericdeveric MinneapolisRegistered User regular
    My body is ready.

My writing up my list? Not so much. Task added this weekend to get signed up.

• Options
    edited September 2014

I don't think anyone has ever hated the artsy fartsy stuffs. Mine aren't that great, so I send other gifts as well, to limit the shame of sending something that isn't perfect.
    What I'm trying to say is sign the efff up, and then draw someone like one of your french girls.

Radiation on
  • Options
    Radiation wrote: »

I don't think anyone has ever hated the artsy fartsy stuffs. Mine aren't that great, so I send other gifts as well, to limit the shame of sending something that isn't perfect.
    What I'm trying to say is sign the efff up, and then draw someone like one of your french girls.

I'm only learning to do drawings and stuff this year, so they might be pretty bad. I may do it anyway though!

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Do it. People (good people anyway) love the effort and thought put into it. It doesn't have to be museum art. (though, I've seen some museum art so...)

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Radiation wrote: »

I'm only learning to do drawings and stuff this year, so they might be pretty bad. I may do it anyway though!

Whoo! Disparity in talents:
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/28735329/#Comment_28735329
    vs.
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/28587024/#Comment_28587024

Edit: I think this year I may shy away from poor drawing art and do something else. I have a few ideas but CANNOT wait for our stalking assignment so I can figure out which way to go, if any are practical.

Radiation on
  • Options
    aerynkellyaerynkelly nothing to see here, move along Registered User regular
    Last year was crazy town so I couldn't sign up for the fun, but I'm in this year!

fss_overall.png
  • Options
    aerynkelly wrote: »
    Last year was crazy town so I couldn't sign up for the fun, but I'm in this year!

We clearly switched places this year :p

Who am I kidding, I'm not gonna be able to hold off on this. This is the "no more gifting, I swear I'm not lying this time" thing all over again.

• Options
    Yessssssss

Isy, do it. Or not. No one's gonna force you if you really can't do it.

But do it

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Nah I just had a brilliant idea for something so definitely back in. My santee may hate me >:)

• Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    Oh. Yes. Dear potential Santa: I am on a calorie restricted diet. It's really hard on me. If you make or buy treats for me they need to have calories written on them. Believe me, I hate it.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    ^ oh yeah. I'm not on a super strict diet, but I've been tracking my food intake with MyFitnessPal. It helps if you have caloric info, but I eat enough home cooked and random things to have a bit of leeway with that

steam_sig.png

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    ^ oh yeah. I'm not on a super strict diet, but I've been tracking my food intake with MyFitnessPal. It helps if you have caloric info, but I eat enough home cooked and random things to have a bit of leeway with that

+1 for MyFitnessPal. I lost about 35lbs on it, and now I'm just under 160lbs for my 6' frame. The best part of it is when you hit your goal weight and switch it from lose weight to maintain current weight and it just vomits extra calories at you. You're all, "I.. I can eat again, I can eat anything!"

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    To my future Santee: I'm sorry if you're on a diet, you're still getting taffy.

• Options

+1 for MyFitnessPal. I lost about 35lbs on it, and now I'm just under 160lbs for my 6' frame. The best part of it is when you hit your goal weight and switch it from lose weight to maintain current weight and it just vomits extra calories at you. You're all, "I.. I can eat again, I can eat anything!"

This probably isn't the thread for it, but were you just tracking food intake, or also doing exercise? I feel like having to track my snacking intake has slightly decreased my snack intake. Or at least I feel like I have to think about it more.

What was your starting weight? How long did it take you?

steam_sig.png

• Options

This probably isn't the thread for it, but were you just tracking food intake, or also doing exercise? I feel like having to track my snacking intake has slightly decreased my snack intake. Or at least I feel like I have to think about it more.

What was your starting weight? How long did it take you?

Well we haven't even been assigned Santee's yet, the thread is kind of currently in a lul until we can actually start doing and talking about SS stuff. So I'd assume minor asides are okay as long as we don't derail the entire thread.

I only tracked my calories, I didn't drive myself batty with every other thing you could track like sugar and sodium intake. I slavishly and anal retentively followed my daily calorie allowance, so it didn't just reduce my snacking it reduced my overall eating, as well as wildly changing a lot of my eating habits. I still often eat whatever the hell I want, I just make sure not to go over my daily limit. I used to go to the gym 5 days a week before I ever started MFP, but then I moved to a place that didn't have a complex gym, and I didn't want to pay for a gym membership that isn't walking distance when it used to be free and 500 feet from my front door. That coupled with my last job that was both long hours and sedentary I gained a bit of weight. Purely on dieting alone I lost all the weight and then some on MFP, and I am bummed to think that had I been on it while I was going to the gym I could have a completely different body right now. There is a pool right outside my front door though, so if I can just get the ball rolling and start swimming once I get the routine started I'll keep doing it. It's just the starting that's the trouble. ;)

• Options
    Yeah, but just started Couch to 5K. Runkeeper and c25K apps link with MFP.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    I'm doing MFP and Fitbit. I've recently had to cut even lower than I was at, so it's really not fun. Fitbit and MFP link as well, I'm just trying to make my daily steps and very active times along with my calories.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    NackmatholnNackmatholn Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    @The_Spaniard @cooljammer00 & @Elin have inspired me to start install My Fitness Pal. I have a FitBit. I keep it on me, I just don't look. I really need to self motivate. Both are on my cellphone's main home screen now. Jeranimo!

Nackmatholn on
    camo_sig2.png PSN - Nackmatholn
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Elin wrote: »
    I'm doing MFP and Fitbit. I've recently had to cut even lower than I was at, so it's really not fun. Fitbit and MFP link as well, I'm just trying to make my daily steps and very active times along with my calories.

I guess it depends on what your goals are. I assume you're trying to "cut"? As I'm sure we both know from experience, it's a slow, slow, SLOW process.

I recently checked the scale after not looking for a while and saw a number that was higher than my weight in HS, which was probably my highest and worst. I've been living at home and it's definitely not a great environment for me, health wise. It's not a coincidence that once I moved out, I dropped about 30 pounds. That was just from being lazy at school and not wanting to walk to the dining halls.

I just turned 25, I've got a history of cholesterol issues and now sugar issues, my insurance is up in a year, and I didn't like that all my nice jeans don't fit anymore. I jokingly said to myself that if I wanted to go through with my plan to dress up as a wrestler for Halloween, I'd need to start working out. But I've been meaning to get into an exercise routine for a while and running is cheaper than a gym. And with apps and stuff, it's probably never been easier to keep track of stuff. No more running in the street while staring at my watch so I know when to run/walk. I have an app that just tells me when to run/walk and I can listen to podcasts and it's great. You know, besides all the exercise stuff.

@The_Spaniard‌ Hmm, I'd say you were like me, but that whole "Yeah, I used to work out 5 days a week" means you were probably at a better place than I ever was. Even your worst is probably better than my best. I'm 6 feet tall as well, so 160 is like a dream goal for me, 180 is "realistic", and that's all if I just lose weight and don't put on muscle or whatever.

edit: This is not necessarily a Santa hint, but I did some research into those "wearable tech" things people have on their wrists, and it seems like there is nothing out there yet that does all the things I might want something like that to do. They range from "complete garbage" to "almost there but not quite" to "sorta like what you want but really expensive".

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular
    Signed up, time to spread some cheer after this year of up and downs!

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    I'm using MFP, too. And I just asked my wife for a small under-desk bike for my birthday. It's super-weird to be a grown-up.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    cornellcornell Registered User regular
    To Santa: I just got OFF a super strict diet and lost a bunch of weight, so if you want to buy me food, that's fine :#

• Options
    xenardxenard Registered User regular
    Hey future Santa, please know that should you decide to send me any type of treats I am allergic to all tropical fruits, carrots and chocolate.

steam_sig.png
    3DS Friend Code: 2449-5711-0640
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Well, I apologize in advance if some of the items I send out make anyone fat. It's not on purpose, but some favorite treats around here are not really of the healthy variety. Though I won't be sending anyone a Philly cheesesteak. Not because I don't want to, but I don't think it would make the trip very well. Same with Manco and Manco pizza.

edit: If I get anyone on dietary restrictions I'll make sure to cut back a bit so as not to tempt you terribly, but is it ok if I still send something small?

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Dear Santa: feel free to send me whatever food items you want. It's up to me to practice self control anyway.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Well, I apologize in advance if some of the items I send out make anyone fat. It's not on purpose, but some favorite treats around here are not really of the healthy variety. Though I won't be sending anyone a Philly cheesesteak. Not because I don't want to, but I don't think it would make the trip very well. Same with Manco and Manco pizza.

edit: If I get anyone on dietary restrictions I'll make sure to cut back a bit so as not to tempt you terribly, but is it ok if I still send something small?

I can't speak for everybody else, but food items are fine with me. I budget my intake when I buy my own "bad for me" stuff, I'll budget if I get some in the mail, too.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    Food items are good as long as they can be preserved or ingredients are sent.

I got this thing called Violet Crumble (an Australia candy bar) from last year's Secret Santa and it was delicious.

One of my favorite candies, but hard to ship correctly.

Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    Oh, as long as we're talking about food, almond and red velvet stuff is delicious. If I can figure out how to make and send treats somebody is getting something from one of those 2 flavor families.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    Oh, as long as we're talking about food, almond and red velvet stuff is delicious. If I can figure out how to make and send treats somebody is getting something from one of those 2 flavor families.
    The sending part is easy. I send cookies every year and I just wrap them up in a plastic container before stuffing them in the box. Keeps them fresher and protected.