As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Want [chat] liberation?

• FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    So I would definitely be Tien, because well, super powers. But also, while a third eye would be offputting to some people, it's mostly unobtrusive, and there is basically no way you don't end up as some sort of cult icon if you decide to lean into it. Probably for a literal, actual cult! I'd probably reconsider if it were something along the lines of being a pink, noseless bubblegum man with a head-tentacle and speed holes all over my body.

For the bonus round: Can it be both? I'd love to be able to tell people I fucked Pat Robertson.

• Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited September 2014
    Ammaline wrote: »
    I bought a pen like that in the hopes that Fancy Pen would force/guilt me to spending some time and energy working on my handwriting so it's actually remotely legible.

It did not accomplish this.

I've got a lot of empty sketchbooks and fancy pens :neutral_face:

I've stopped buying tons of random art supplies and generally sticking to my one preferred kinda pencil, after realizing I usually would use my New Cool Thing once and then it would be dumped in a box of other random art supplies and never be used again.

I still have a ton of sketchbooks, but usually they're not empty but half-filled. I'll be very enthusiastic for awhile and fill them up a good ways, then drop off on the output, then decide I need to do more drawing later, not be able to remember if I've got a sketchbook to use, and then go buy another one.
    I also have a ton of Bristol pads that I've done exactly one sketch on the front page of, thought, "THIS IS GREAT IT'S SO SMOOTH AND NICE" and then the rest of it is blank because I don't want to 'waste' the good stuff on doodles, but never get around to the masterpiece that I'm convinced one day I'll get around to drawing.

@Fugitive: You could if you wanted, but ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Edit: What if you looked and sounded exactly like Chiaotzu?

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • AmmalineAmmaline Registered User regular
    I used to do the 'this time this sketchbook will be perfect, and will ITSELF be a work of art' thing a lot! Then I would draw in it and ruin it!

I don't do that anymore.

My art tumblr
    3DS : 2165-5535-6036
  • Ammaline wrote: »
    I used to do the 'this time this sketchbook will be perfect, and will ITSELF be a work of art' thing a lot! Then I would draw in it and ruin it!

I don't do that anymore.

I burn with jealousy of people whose sketchbooks look like they've been through an extensive editing process, because there just aren't any crap drawings in them.
    Mine are filled with doodles that have been X'd out, erased, abandoned midstride, and have notes that say things like "this is shit" with arrows pointing at various pieces of artistic refuse.
    Can't do moleskines because they demand perfection- gotta have a ton of cheap, perforated pages so I can tear out the junk if I ever need to make it presentable.

• FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited September 2014

A risky gambit, but Chiaotzu being essentially an old Chinese-style vampire, I might still be able to pull off "cult icon status" if popular vampire media decides to loop back in that direction.

Eh, probably an 80% chance I'd still do it, regardless.

Fugitive on
  • Fugitive wrote: »

A risky gambit, but Chiaotzu being essentially an old Chinese-style vampire, I might still be able to pull off "cult icon status" if popular vampire media decides to loop back in that direction.

Eh, probably an 80% chance I'd still do it, regardless.

I can't see the Twilight crowd going for tiny albino plush-doll looking vampires, but you are more than welcome to prove me wrong.

• bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    Sketchbooks with stupid shit scribbled in it that aren't completely over-engineered works of art are my favourite drawing related things.

• So I know silly Javascript random movie/book/whatever idea generators have been been around forever, and I could probably find one that did exactly what I wanted if I looked hard enough, but screw it I made a silly random illustration idea generator because why not. Pretty simple to use, just hit the button. You like some stuff but not other stuff, lock the things you like and then hit the button again. Also the coding I'm sure is ridiculously inelegant and dead-simple, so if you want to go into the .html you can just add/subtract whatever junk you want, there's just a big ol' block of terms that's hard to miss.

http://kevinoneill.iseenothing.com/listgen.html

Obviously most of these are just going to be ridiculous bullshit, but maybe it'll get some juices flowing?

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    http://type.method.ac/

Get your kern on. Get your kern on, everyone. Get your kernin' goin'.

I got an 83 on this test.

When I was in college my typography teacher told me that I had a natural eye for kerning. I'm pretty certain she was just trying to be encouraging because I very clearly hated typography.

ChicoBlue on
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    http://type.method.ac/

Get your kern on. Get your kern on, everyone. Get your kernin' goin'.

I got an 83 on this test.

When I was in college my typography teacher told me that I had a natural eye for kerning. I pretty certain she was just trying to be encouraging because I very clearly hated typography.

Woo! Got a 93

Would have been better if I didn't totally screw one up and get a 56. Got perfect scores on 7 of them

Im smug

About kerning

Kerning life yo

Wassermelone on
  • AmmalineAmmaline Registered User regular
    I got an 86, which is 36 points better than I expected. I'm usually really bad at that kind of stuff

My art tumblr
    3DS : 2165-5535-6036
  • tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    95! I had a similar early fuckup where I hit enter or something and it was like "lol no"

kernbros

• gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    I do not understand the rules of proper kerning. It doesn't seem like even distribution of the letters is the objective, because I got penalized for spacing the "y" after the "T" such that the y didn't underhang.

Clearly, this is black magic.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • I got a 78 (flubbed the first one because I didn't realize you could move more than one letter, got a few terrible ones and a few 100%ers)- which is fine by me because the less graphic design/UI work people give me to do during the course of my employment, the better.

• tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Yeahhhhhh kerning is more about spacing for beauty and legibility
    It's pretty arcane
    Like I pretty innately can DO it but I'd be damned if I could explain HOW or WHY

Edit to add: I used to work as a shirt presser for Neighborhoodies back in the day, which was literally kerning by hand
    so I learned some sense of it in more of a practical than a scholastic way.

tapeslinger on
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    84/100

very frustrating but also pleaasssingg

• TamTam Registered User regular
    (nerds)

• Baron DirigibleBaron Dirigible Registered User regular
    I'll take that test later when I have more spare time, but I like to think I'm pretty good at keming.

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    I have twin nieces that are 3 years old. they both did the same coloring sheet and one of them finished all the coloring and had no issues staying in the lines. the other one had scribbled all over the house and wasn't able to finish half the picture. huh.

The ever present battle between representational and abstract art.

• gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    Now set them against each other in a vicious blood feud over which one is the "real" artist. Make it clear there can only be one.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    alternately: burn all the art and make them do something useful

you're confusing me with their parents

• ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    Tam wrote: »
    (nerds)

Beat me by one, 84 here. I did kinda rush the first few though... THAT'S MY EXCUSE.

• Jars wrote: »
    you're confusing me with their parents

/\ an example of a joke that I realize is a joke and as such probably shouldn't be taken very seriously, but nevertheless puts an uncharacteristically severe expression on my face and forces my hands into white-knuckled fists.

I'm afraid I don't follow

• Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited October 2014
    Parents characterizing their children's artistic pursuits as being useless is a major bee in my bonnet.

So I know you're (hopefully) just joking around, but I still kinda want to slap said parents anyway.

Angel_of_Bacon on
    There's going to be a streaming Friday Night Workshop from Watts Atelier on, well, Friday. This week it looks like it's gonna be a full figure female life drawing session. It'll probably be archived if you are interested and will miss it because you have better things to be doing on a Friday night.

https://youtube.com/user/wattsatelier/feed

I wasn't even thinking about that.. just that people were acting like I had any input in anything regarding them

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    I got a 90! I might take it again because I didn't really "get it" until after the first two...

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Also yeah I totally jacked "gargantuan" up by missing the placement of a's, which made the whole thing awful and drop to a 15 or something.....but I got 100's on a lot!

• AgentflitAgentflit Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Also yeah I totally jacked "gargantuan" up

Well I scored 100 on gargantuan two times in a row so TAKE THAT, you beefy middle-aged robot male monk letting it all hang out, in the 90's.

Abstract Idea: Loose

79 and 83 overall

Agentflit on
  • AgentflitAgentflit Registered User regular
    FOUNTAIN PENS

oh shit how did I miss the fountain pen post, tam, tam, penbros?? I use my Namiki falcon every day, I like to flex it for the ladies. I've a Pilot vanishing point and a Parker 85 that are my very best friends for drawing too.

And let it be known that sailor kiwa-guro is the best black ink of all time. Lotsa folks seem to love Noodler's, which is nice, but that shit bleeds.

Mmmmm lookit:
    img_4364.jpg

ok all done nerding out

Damn look at how crisp and snappy dat ink

• Jars wrote: »
    I wasn't even thinking about that.. just that people were acting like I had any input in anything regarding them

@‌Jars
    Oh, ok. I guess I'll put my fists of fury away then.

Anim_MuayThai.gif

• ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    There's going to be a streaming Friday Night Workshop from Watts Atelier on, well, Friday. This week it looks like it's gonna be a full figure female life drawing session. It'll probably be archived if you are interested and will miss it because you have better things to be doing on a Friday night.

https://youtube.com/user/wattsatelier/feed

Huh, I didn't know about any of these. Looks like they've got several months worth of material to peruse, neato.

I don't know if other people are the same but I love love love to watch other people work, even if it isn't in an instructional capacity. You get a little bit of a fix from watching people stream digital work but it's way better to watch someone working traditionally.

Scosglen on
  • KallistiKallisti Registered User regular
    Sitting at the airport waiting to go home, good times! But I'm totally ready. Did everything I wanted to and then some so I'm pretty Tokyo'd out. Also my Japanese is atrocious and I'm a foreigner so I'm looking forward to not sounding like an illiterate idiot and constantly being stared at. I think 2 weeks is generally the perfect amount of time for vacation before I start feeling itchy to return home. But also the new Dragon Age.

• KallistiKallisti Registered User regular
    sometimes you gotta be fancy
    but fancy don't gotta cost a lot
    check it, write like a boss for 15 dollars:

2rniv04.jpg

damn that shit look fancy
    (I really like this pen you guys)

Oo, planning on inktober? I bought some fancy ass fountain pen, even bought some Noodles to use it with, aaand it's just gathering dust in the drawer.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I got a 90! I might take it again because I didn't really "get it" until after the first two...

93 ... I have no clue what I'm doing.

edited October 2014
    Ooooh lookit me, I'm Tynic, I'm a magical adept savant at this kernnilingus thing you guys are doing oooooh feert

ChicoBlue on
This discussion has been closed.