As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Jolli draws sometimes...

JolliJolli Registered User regular
edited February 2017 in Artist's Corner
I've been lurking around here for a while, so I thought I might as well buck up and do it already, also I feel like I've finally reached the point where I think my drawings are good enough to share. I know I have to improve on a lot of things and I've recently started to focus on learning more and getting better, so any kind of critique is welcome.

Jolli on

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Maaan, you have to get your scanner working, the drawings look cartoony and fun! Its sort of hard to give you a lot of useful feedback on these with the picture quality.

The drawings are also in the doodly/sketchy phase which makes it hard to know what your end goal is. Do you want to do comics, animation, paintings? What are your goals and aspirations? We can help you the most when you are really trying to reach for something but not quite getting there.

You look like you are getting some fun characters down. Try and get them scanned in and posted!

• JolliJolli Registered User regular
    I want to get into Graphic novels mostly, but I'd also like to try my hand at being a concept artist.
    There are a lot of things I'd like to get down, like natural shading, color theory (although I do learn a lot in school) And correct anatomy, those things are first and foremost in my opinion.
    And I'll try to get the scanner working and repost the drawings, and a new one I just did.

• brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
    Yea, these are looking hella fun and super cartoony (that is a complement), I just want to see more clearly. The guy with the tie in the robocop page and the guy with the sword and crazy armor are oozing character, but have some construction issues.

Can't wait to see more, or see these more clearly.

edited August 2013
    Unfortunately there is no way for me to scan my drawings but I'll try to better them.

And thanks I'm glad you like them despite those issues.
    wasn't as good as I thought it was, I'll post it later.

Jolli on
  • brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
    Heads up, all I see is a broken link. :/

• wahaywahay Your Handicapped Hero Cincinnati, USARegistered User regular
    Your characters have easily readable postures, expressions, and diversity! You can tell the proportions in the dinosaur are informed from human anatomy tweaked responsibly.

Well-done!

Since you seem to have your drawing chops already, and you're busy with tons of school stuff, my recommendation is to have a very specific goal in mind any time you want to start something, even if it's just a doodlefart.

"Sorry ladies, I give my everything to Sallie Mae."
    My Artist Corner Thread • Everywhere I Post
  • lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    It seems like some of the info in the first post of the old character construction thread might be helpful to you.
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/180484/july-monthly-enrichment-character-construction#latest

Basically working on character construction will help you with your cartoony characters, but in a way that will help you utilize knowledge of form and anatomy. For something like a graphic novel you'll need to be able to draw characters consistently, which character construction helps with.

Thanks, I'll be doing those exersises when I have time. I've been getting cought up with school work and such, learning to paint aquerelles is much easier than I thought. Thought still not very good at it.

edited January 2014
    I'm back! I've been doing an illustration project at school for a couple of weeks here are some of the finished sketches. Its about a kid that wears pyjamas and feels both cool and stupid.
    g0p2cKr.jpg?1
    nFJ0u8H.jpg?1

Jolli on
    edited October 2014
    Hey guys, haven't updated this thread in like... forever (lot been going on) I'm still trying to keep up drawing, even though not much has come out of it. Gonna post some life drawings I did a couple of weeks ago a bit later on today!

Jolli on
  • jjwwjjww Registered User regular
    Drawings are getting better and better, keep at it :)

edited April 2016
    Hey! A quick little update if anybody is interested :) Haven't been drawing much lately, I had quit from my job due to anxiety issues and have been at kind of a stand still these past month trying to deal with that, but I've started to enjoy drawing again and things are going my way for a change.

Jolli on
    Color day! I bought colored pencils months ago but haven't used them at all! Finally cracked them open and tried to draw without using my trusty mechanical pencils and this is what came from it.

avfmjy7252uc.jpg
    gnyxse6og8ck.jpg
    mrdxmih7i0ze.jpg

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    I like these last drawings the best out of your whole thread, I think. They show a lot of charm and are easier to see than some of your earlier work. I was wondering - what are you aiming for? Do you have any goals with your art? I saw this quote from you awhile back:
    Jolli wrote: »
    I want to get into Graphic novels mostly, but I'd also like to try my hand at being a concept artist.
    There are a lot of things I'd like to get down, like natural shading, color theory (although I do learn a lot in school) And correct anatomy, those things are first and foremost in my opinion.

...and wanted to know if those are still goals that you are interested in working towards, or if they've changed at all. I'd love to see more work from you in color!

edited May 2015
    I'm still aiming for graphic novels. I've been working on one for the past 3 months from an idea I've been brewing for over 2 years now and I've started sketching out different characters and creating a story. But its still very much still in its infant stage.

as regarding my goals with my art ... To be honest I just want to be a better and more diverse artist, I love drawing but my motivation has been lacking as of late as has any improvment, so I'm still just working on my flawed fundamentals like in the quote above trying to perfect them.

Other than that I'm just not sure what specific goal I have. :/

Jolli on
    edited May 2015
    Another day, another colored pencil drawing.
    Fury road was awesome, then I took a Mad max marathon. And wanted to draw something from it... preferably one of the cars; hence this drawing of the the interceptor.

rg39770m6a7g.jpg

Need to fix it up tomorrow, the hood is all cramped up, doesn't look a whole lot like the original car and the prespective feels really wack... like... mixing two perspective points wack... Thats what I get for going with my eyes and not bringing a ruler I guess.

Jolli on
    Update on the interceptor! Had to erase about half of it and measure some stuff but its looking pretty good now I think. At least better than yesterday.
    1fy6k05fbzsv.jpg
    Still gonna work on it, but I'm kinda burned out drawing this thing...

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    If you are looking into comics, we do have some helpful links accumulated here: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/196619/comic-resources-masterpost#latest

Your little mini comics are hard to read. If you aren't going to use gutters, you'll need to give them a lot more breathing room. If you are looking to just expand in general, the enrichments (http://forums.penny-arcade.com/categories/art-assignments-and-resources) have alot of good suggestions for activities you can get into.

Thanks! I'll definately take a look at some of these books and start making comics to practice!
    I've got How to draw comics the marvel way but I didn't really find it helpful, but I'm gonna dig it up again and take a another crack at it.

And yeah, the WiiU and the 3DS isn't really the best medium for trying to make comics... even short ones.

• beckerskullsbeckerskulls Registered User regular
    Hey Jolli, I'm digging the drawings. Keep it up! I'm a bit rusty on this, so correct me if I'm wrong, anyone, but here's a little perspective troubleshooting.

First, all these lines should converge at one vanishing point on the horizon line:

perspectivefix.jpg

Secondly, ellipses. They're sitting on a minor axis that goes back to the vanishing point. Then you have the major axis which is always 90 degrees to the minor axis. The widest point of your ellipse should align with this major axis.

ellipsefix.jpg

Hope that helps!

Man, I didn't think my perspective was that bad :bigfrown: Thanks for the critiqe! :D I don't think I would have noticed those problems on my own!
    I started a new drawing today, same car but I just can't figure out this perspective thing, I understand the concept but It looks wrong. then again that might just be me.

I'm Gonna post the picture a bit later on!

Started drawing after a sleepless night. Its a request from my brother for his youtube channel.
    5Rb95EX.jpg?3

Here is one with most of the blue taken away.
    11372370_1458213597822519_1828091084_n.jpg

This may be a silly question, but do you erase much at all? It seems like you don't really sketch things out very much before jumping into the "final" lineart - whether that means you're drawing a stronger line, or inking.

Maybe try to work on something for a bit longer than you usually do - but rather than focusing on finishing the piece for the sake of finishing - try to perfect it as much as you can instead. Try to really nail the perspective, the anatomy, the design, etc....don't be afraid to redraw a line or a whole section in order to correct something.

If you're looking to get better, often that means that you need to look at the piece you're doing, figure out what could be improved, HOW to improve it, and then work towards that goal. For one of your next pieces, I think it would be a good exercise for you to start with a goal in mind, and then really try to nail it to the best of your ability. If something looks off, don't call the piece finished, try to fix it first. If you can't tell what looks off, try posting a work in progress in your thread here, get some feedback, and then try to incorporate the feedback you get.

edited June 2015
    Hey! yeah, I do erase, a lot which usually tends to be my downfall in some ways.
    But with this one, I had already done a couple of other sketches of the same wizard type character, and I found this one work the best weather or not that was the best thing I could've done is very debateable.

And I've been thinking about it for a bit, since I don't really get much constructive criticism from my family and friends (Which is why I love this place! its very refreshing) But you're absolutely right, I really should work a bit longer one a piece and try to get some feedback here since its why I made this thread in the first place.

Jolli on
    edited June 2015
    Here's a couple of things I've been working on;

Update to the interceptor, first thing is that the blower is way to low and I only realized that after like ereasing the whole hoodie like three times. And I tried to stick with a single perspective but I just feel like somethings... off about it... Can't really put my finger on it.
    CiTgLM3.png

And I finally buckled down and did some studies, I feel like my ass has been kicked for over an hour now... but it was fun.
    rUkrMqu.jpg?4

Jolli on
    edited June 2015
    Are you using a reference (or references) for the car, or is it by memory?

NightDragon on
    I'm using refrences, I can gather them up. These were the three I used primarily.
    mad-max-interceptor-920-1.jpg

Interceptor11.JPG

mad-max-interceptor-replica-for-sale-in-the-uk-photo-gallery_2.jpg[/spoiler}

edited February 2017
    Got an Intuos tablet, Been testing it out. Really liking it so far!

Jolli on
    I can't stop drawing.. Trying to finish pieces instead of abandoning them.
    yzNVXXU.jpg?1

• lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    That one is a big improvement over the rock guy- the drawing out of the forms feels a lot better. Just keep an eye on proportions.

edited February 2017
    Did some rough studies ? (don't know what you would call it) for the first time in.. way too long. All of them are references I found on Pintrest. ( I will post better quality versions tomorrow.
    I've been way to lazy since I graduated and I'm actually gonna try to learn something new and not just sticking to what I already know, so will post more studies from now on.
    7wRduWc.jpg
    Zk3lrmK.jpg

The references from Pintrest.
    0b5d916dfa5abe35eefdd8c5bd7553cb.jpg
    4ff369567af11b95c1770c059d454985.jpg
    a4f270eb6d2deadb39e9ac89d31d1681.jpg
    e95ac542893650b92afdfeb2ca707c4e.jpg
    9897844f482205ed6a298df2b6aa74a1.jpg

Jolli on