As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Yay, more babby! [Kids]

• Options
    WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    A month now since lil Paige was born.

Time's flying already!

Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    We've been leaning into PBS pretty hard lately, Wild Kratts and Peg+Cat are both amazing and my daughter is glued to them. The little one could still give
    a fuck about the TV, which is fine with me.

Also time for Halloween costumes, what are your kids going to be and post pictures with explanations please; mine are going to be Elsa and Anna because duh and my wife made their costumes and they came out pretty ok.
    bcDAh1i.jpg
    sWHGInv.jpg
    My oldest daughter is going to be Astrid from How to Train Your Dragon, my middle daughter is going to be a different thing every day so Merida because we have the costume, and my 1 year old son will be a Dalek. My wife's going to be the 10th doctor, and I'm going to be from this episode:

dw602-1.jpg

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    We had a hard time finding a costume to fit our almost 17 month old daughter, because she's a bit tall for her age. In clothes she wears either 24 months or 2Ts, and in costumes it seemed like they were all going to be too big.

We found an adorable Rapunzel dress that's 2T but fits her perfectly so that's good. Tangled, Frozen, and Wreck-it Ralph are all tied for her favorite movies so it all worked out.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    TheCanMan wrote: »
    Caillou is the devil and there's nothing anyone can say to persuade me otherwise.

Caillou, Max and Ruby, and Dora are in a nasty three way tie for teaching kids exactly the wrong lessons.

Caillou/Max and Ruby: Obnoxious repetitive behavior will be rewarded as long as you never stop!

Dora: See a rattle snake in your path? Tiptoe by it!

god damn it Dora, NO.

There is only one show I can think of that we actually banned my son from watching when he was little - and that show was Max and Ruby. Max's behavior is absolutely terrible and even worse is that he just repeats words over and over again and my son started to imitate that so we immediately cut that show off entirely.

I will admit that I have seen the Wiggles in concert multiple times.

• Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    Today I had the pleasure of watching Day of the Diesels, which may be the most gross misrepresentation of class warfare I have seen on that asinine program. I am still sort of mad even though I keep telling myself that kids won't internalize the creepy "don't rebel when you're treated like second-class citizens because eventually someone will get around to giving you a handout" message in that movie. How exactly do I go about actively banning a thing?

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Holy shit Day of the Diesels is the woooooooooooooorst

Sir ToppamHat or however the fuck you spell that is a plantation owner.

Thomas is cool and all but man, that show took a nosedive after a while.

• Options
    Most of Thomas has that kind of vaguely or overtly Christian message of "obey the ruling class because they'll treat you right in the end" and it's just... They're never allowed to think on their own, pretty much, because it always ends up WRONG until they do what they were told in the first place and then tada, magically fixed. Terrible.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    it's not really christian so much as it is a show about imperialism.

• Options
    It kind of does the work of both, depending on the age of the episode. The older ones feel way more like religious allegory than the newer ones, for sure.

• Options
    And to be clear, it's not that I am categorically opposed to religious messages, but these in particular tend to be of that "the guy upstairs has a plan and you should not deviate or you will be punished" variety. My husband has said that this is probably useful in encouraging kids to, you know, listen to their parents, but I don't know.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    It's a balancing act, right? You want your kids to be obedient, like when you tell them to stay out of the road, but then you also want them to question authority when they grow up, like when the local police department acquires military-grade equipment.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Yeah, and you want them to problem-solve themselves instead of waiting around for orders.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Pfff thomas.

If I was sir whatshishat, I'd sack the lot of them and buy engines that didn't screw up literally every day

Xaquin on
  • Options
    FoufouFoufou Registered User regular
    We are deep in the throws of "Frozen" overload. First thing I hear from Violet when we get home in the evening is "Ice?" Thankfully we can usually divert her to Adventure Time or My Little Pony. But even those on repeat are starting to wear thin. I've been trying to get her to watch some of the other Pixar's for a little more variety. On thing I have found is that now that "Once Upon a Time" has included the Frozen characters I can get V to watch that with me without too much fuss.

90c5798e-8fde-44b6-986e-885940038fa1_zps2729e804.jpg
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    My daughter's only about to turn 17 months, and she already has favorite movies which I didn't expect this early. Frozen, Tangled, Wreck it Ralph are the ones she pulls off the blu ray shelf first every time. I think it's the animation style, because she so far hasn't really gotten in to any animated shows/movies that use a more regular cartoon style. She loves Mickey Mouse Clubhouse a lot as well.

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Foufou wrote: »
    We are deep in the throws of "Frozen" overload. First thing I hear from Violet when we get home in the evening is "Ice?" Thankfully we can usually divert her to Adventure Time or My Little Pony. But even those on repeat are starting to wear thin. I've been trying to get her to watch some of the other Pixar's for a little more variety. On thing I have found is that now that "Once Upon a Time" has included the Frozen characters I can get V to watch that with me without too much fuss.

My daughter is just finishing up Frozen right as I type. This isn't really any sort of coincidence, unfortunately :(

Frozen overload indeed!

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the whole Really Useful Engine stuff on Thomas is always a bit unsettling

Plus Thomas is a piece of shit

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    First night trying a bottle with Max, we were both worried he might not like it.... NOPE, had to keep him from guzzling 3 ounces (at 2 months that's a bit I think?) in under a minute. He should probably have MILK LIFE tattooed on his tummy.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    So much Adventure Time.

I'm really glad I like Adventure Time a lot. We have most of the series on rotation, which takes about a day to get through so it's not *too* bad. He's not fussy about which one is on, he just wants to be able to see and hear it.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    As promised, some selected pictures of Leah, 9 months.
    Cute!

4txklsz.jpg

Oh, for the love of god.

eo5h6b5.jpg

Happy Halloween!

zNwblSM.jpg

Heart breaker...

CnUgzoq.jpg

Always at least one "serious business" shot.

nlBzegI.jpg

• Options
    premiumpremium Registered User regular
    My (almost) 4 year old started playing games on the WiiU instead of watching as many shows, though she still likes to watch Adventure Time and Sofia the First and such.

She calls the tablet controller the 'Seemote' because it's like a wiimote that you can see the game with.
    She can clear almost the entire first world and some of the second in Mario 3D World by herself and also does not bad against the AI on 50cc in Mario Kart.
    I let her try the Smash Bros demo on my 3DS and she seems to like that too so we'll probably play at lot of that together when it comes out on the WiiU.

• Options
    I'm taking henry through the Legend of Zelda, and he's pretty much just watching me play but he seems to dig it. He keeps asking when we're gonna save the princess though and I'm like look dude I just got the blue ring, chill out

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    @davidsdurions‌ the "happy halloween" photo is excellent. beautiful colours and she is super cute.

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    I want that sweater. Like, for myself. Maybe for my son.

• Options
    Definitely read an invitation wrong. Definitely crashed another kid's party and Henry made like thirty new friends.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Man, what the hell happened to Thomas the Tank Engine?

I used to watch that when I was a little kid (25+ years ago), and it was just the engines getting into trouble and helping each other out. There was Thomas, Edward, Percy, Henry, the Fat Controller voiced by Ringo Starr...

• Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    Definitely read an invitation wrong. Definitely crashed another kid's party and Henry made like thirty new friends.

Not the same, but I'm endlessly tickled watching my daughter charm her way into strangers' parties when we're out at the park or similar. On the 4th of July we spent a bunch of time blanket hopping waiting for the fireworks to start, as she delighted everyone she approached.

• Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Ugh. Babies are for babies.

KhXAhik.gif

• Options
    Apparently Anya has claimed she wants a baby brother to be named "Starbaby".

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    Has she seen guardians of the galaxy?

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    or Space Odyssey ?

• Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    My 2yo son has discovered that the funniest thing in the entire world is to grab my arm while I'm wiping him during a diaper change and helping to force my arm up and down a bunch of times. The first couple times were pretty funny. It's now entering into the slightly unsettling arena.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    I'm afraid I've set up my two year old son for perpetual disappointment. He's always my grocery buddy when we go to Costco, and he loves the free samples. In fact, we just went yesterday where he got some chips (special treat because we don't keep them in the house), cheese, acai juice, and clam chowder.

Today, my wife tells him that it's time to go bye bye, as she has a playdate scheduled.

Weston looks at her and says "eat free samples?"

Sorry buddy. Not everyday can be free sample day.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Apparently Anya has claimed she wants a baby brother to be named "Starbaby".

My plans are working...

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    I'm afraid I've set up my two year old son for perpetual disappointment. He's always my grocery buddy when we go to Costco, and he loves the free samples. In fact, we just went yesterday where he got some chips (special treat because we don't keep them in the house), cheese, acai juice, and clam chowder.

Today, my wife tells him that it's time to go bye bye, as she has a playdate scheduled.

Weston looks at her and says "eat free samples?"

Sorry buddy. Not everyday can be free sample day.

This is the second time your son has reminded me of my son in a week. Every morning for the past few weeks he's been like "Daddy, shopping. Shopping, Daddy, shopping?". Hitting the stores is one of our regular weekend outings, and he loves basically all of the things that we do together.

This morning I was on the way out of the house to go to work, and usually he's fine, but today he saw me at the door and went racing over to his outside clothes saying "Hat! Hat!" (because he has to wear his hat if we go out together).

Poor little guy really wanted to join me wherever I was going, but had to settle for waving from the window like he does 5 days a week. Poor little guy looked so disappointed when he didn't get to come.

I wish I could spend today with you too, buddy.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Anya is super attached to Rachel right now. Which makes sense as I'm home a LOT more than she is.

So even on days when we both work, when I come home with Rachel I just get ignored in favor of mama.

Last Friday we came home and I said "Anya! I want to give you a hug!" and she pushes past me saying "I have to give mommy a hug."

• Options
    WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    My wife has a migraine so I'm working from home for a while.

My little coding girl checking for bugs for me
    O5xdlPHl.jpg

Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    In which the internet finally becomes useful for parenting:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/31027013/#Comment_31027013

This discussion has been closed.