As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Renting] Thread

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Is there carpet in the room? If not it might be an idea to find a rug for the floor to muffle the bed.

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I have a weird problem I have no idea what to do about. This guy downstairs blares shitty techno music all the time, but never at really unreasonable hours. Well tonight my girlfriend and I were having sex, nothing like crazy or outlandish just our normal kind of sex, and he starts banging on the floor/his cealing. We tried to quiet down but I think it's the bed and he pounded harder, which ended our evening. It's not like he has kids there, that would make me feel all kinds of weird, it's just him. And my opinion on Loud sex is just let them at it and in like 10 minutes it'll pass. Plus we've never complained bout his awful techno.

Is there a tactful way to resolve this? Because I would really like to have sex again sometime without interference.

Play shitty techno music really loud while you get your bone on?

Even better, hit him up for a mix CD and then play that.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Have sex in the place above you.

• Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    Murder him and have sex on top of his corpse.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Falx wrote: »
    Murder him and have sex with his corpse.

• Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    You guys are being illogical. The floor is the problem here as it's amplifying the sound in his apartment.

Remove your floor.

• Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Get. A swing.
    You win on at least two counts. Possibly 3.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    This can't possibly be the first time you guys have had sex since he's been your downstairs neighbor. Is there anything different that might prompt him to hear it more or complain about it? Maybe it was at 2am or you guys got a new bed or something?

Re: The techno, if you haven't complained about it now, bringing it up in conjunction with him complaining about your loud sex makes you seem petty and retaliatory. If it really bothers you, bring it up to the landlord and they can deal with it, especially if he's blasting it loud enough that everyone else can hear.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    This can't possibly be the first time you guys have had sex since he's been your downstairs neighbor. Is there anything different that might prompt him to hear it more or complain about it? Maybe it was at 2am or you guys got a new bed or something?

Re: The techno, if you haven't complained about it now, bringing it up in conjunction with him complaining about your loud sex makes you seem petty and retaliatory. If it really bothers you, bring it up to the landlord and they can deal with it, especially if he's blasting it loud enough that everyone else can hear.

It was at like 11 at night, not super late but yeah probably later then most normal people sleep at. And this is not the first time we've had sex, hell we've had super loud crazy sex before and haven't heard a peep. I have a feeling its the bed and not us being loud as after I posted he was pounding on the floor/ceiling again when we were just getting situated in bed.

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    true story, our bed makes an awful creaking noise when we are sexing and sometimes it really throws a damper on the mood for me

it is part of the reason I kind of really want to buy a new bedroom suite after we gets married

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Vivienne posting that really ruins my joke option of, why don't you just not have sex?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Build a bed! It's kind of like a box, but way bigger!

And not really all that similar to a box. At all.

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    STEPS TO BUILD BED:

1) ACQUIRE MATTRESS OR SHEEP.

2) LIE ON IT AND SLEEP.

• Options
    Fyndir wrote: »
    STEPS TO BUILD BED:

1) ACQUIRE MATTRESS OR SHEEP.

2) LIE ON IT AND SLEEP.

I did that for a number of years before I mounted a bed frame about 1.5m up my wall. Was much better, then I could have my desk under it. Also went from a single to a double!

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    Build a bed! It's kind of like a box, but way bigger!

And not really all that similar to a box. At all.

It is if you're building a platform bed!

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I'm trying my best to use the packing process to also purge things in and out.

But I'm getting to the point of just wanting to dump everything into boxes and just say 'fuckit' and sort it out later.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    So Amy and I found some bookcases for all our books to go in. Two brand new solid wood bookcases, $500. (This is in Australia, where two Ikea fibreboard bookcases the same size would have cost around $300 and sorely lacking in style compared to these, so we're pretty happy about this.)

• Options
    The same store has a bunch of really nice furniture in it that is a fair whack more expensive, like a solid Jarrah (Mahogany) dining table for $2400.

It is fun to show her stuff like that because my parents just gave us a nice solid beech dining table almost as big for free, so no matter how much she wanted the Jarrah table, she couldn't reason herself into buying it.

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    I'm trying my best to use the packing process to also purge things in and out.

But I'm getting to the point of just wanting to dump everything into boxes and just say 'fuckit' and sort it out later.

I remember I would get the same way as it came time to move out of the dorm every year. I would start really organized, but by the end things would just go in any box I could fit them into.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I have a weird problem I have no idea what to do about. This guy downstairs blares shitty techno music all the time, but never at really unreasonable hours. Well tonight my girlfriend and I were having sex, nothing like crazy or outlandish just our normal kind of sex, and he starts banging on the floor/his cealing. We tried to quiet down but I think it's the bed and he pounded harder, which ended our evening. It's not like he has kids there, that would make me feel all kinds of weird, it's just him. And my opinion on Loud sex is just let them at it and in like 10 minutes it'll pass. Plus we've never complained bout his awful techno.

Is there a tactful way to resolve this? Because I would really like to have sex again sometime without interference.

Play shitty techno music really loud while you get your bone on?

Invite him up to join. He probably just feels left out.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Every now and then I think of things I won't be able to do when I have a roommate again.

Like today when I was too lazy to keep rolling up my sleeves while I washed dishes so I just took my shirt off.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Sassori wrote: »
    Every now and then I think of things I won't be able to do when I have a roommate again.

Like today when I was too lazy to keep rolling up my sleeves while I washed dishes so I just took my shirt off.

When I was young my dad would have me clean the shower right before taking an actual shower. His thinking was that I was going to be naked anyway so it was one less set of clothes to clean.

I have taken this as a lifelong lesson and applied it to all manner of housecleaning. You have not felt freedom until you have done naked vacuuming.

• Options
    If do naked vaccuming I have to hold my music so I can use my headphones and jam out while I clean.

If I'm at least in my underwear I can stick my phone through my bra strap and jam out.

• Options
    You could devise a music player holder for the vacuum cleaner. It could be an international sales sensation.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    iVacuum?

• Options
    pimento wrote: »
    You could devise a music player holder for the vacuum cleaner. It could be an international sales sensation.

The Japanese, as always, have done this and taken it even further: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2013/06/music-playing-electrolux-vacuum-is-noisy-on-purpose/index.htm

(Watch the video. It's hilarious.)

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXhsUPtsiLU

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    I wanted 'He likes me' to be followed by a dalek.

DJ DALEK WILL FUNKINATE

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    I do nothing naked because the human body is gross.

Showering? Business casual.

Sex? Three piece suit.

• Options
    Sex in a three piece suit just sounds so uncomfortable. But I guess it depends on how much you might sweat during the whole production.

• Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    And now you're imagining Eskimos boning.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Well, I am now.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    What else are you going to do?

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Loan documents are signed!

Money is transferred!

Settlement is on Friday!

ahhhhhhhhhhh!

• Options
    My friend is buying a place. Settlement is due to happen tomorrow. It's not been confirmed if it's actually happening yet.

YEA COMPETENCE

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    My friend is buying a place. Settlement is due to happen tomorrow. It's not been confirmed if it's actually happening yet.

YEA COMPETENCE

The same thing happened when we bought our place. House builder was adamant that it would happen on a certain date and the solicitor kept being cagey about it. It ended up with it being guaranteed the day before we moved and a mad scramble to pack, book a van and get organised.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    oh my god.

where did all this STUFF come from.

Like, seriously. Where. Why are there so many BOXES.

who packed all this? Why did we pack all this? We just have to unpack it.

Shoulda just sold it all and then bought new stuff.

(so. awesome you guys. We have a house! )

• Options
    I have just moved into my new apartment! I love it so far and I feel like tomorrow morning is just going to feel like such a fresh start!

• Options
    Guys this is so exciting. I'm really impressed by the lack of stress this whole weekend has had. Tonight my roommate and I had dinner just the two of us and celebrated with some boozy milkshakes to toast our new home. After the couch arrives Tuesday we can have some people over and it will be fit for company.

• Options
    Guys.

My dining room table is finished, the chairs are put together. We've got about only 10 boxes left to unpack. We bought a BBQ yesterday and had friends over and had BBQ food on our new dining table and chairs and plates and YAY!

And only one small disaster from where I was trying to put a mug into the dishwasher but failed miserably and banged it on the counter.

Oops

But man, we have a HOUSE. And our first mortgage payment already went out and OHMYGOD life is so amazing.

This discussion has been closed.