As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

STEAM, a backlog story.

• el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    preloading Beyond Earth...oh man, OH MAN I'm excited

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Borderlands has always been really atrocious about level disparities.

Wish there was a better way.

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Artreus wrote: »
    Borderlands has always been really atrocious about level disparities.

Wish there was a better way.

even shit like playing DLC packs solo

I remember getting to Tiny Tina's DLC and being underleveled, the basic skeletons at the beginning will one-shot you. If you go back to the main game and level up too much though, they become trivially easy and any rewards you get from them will suck.

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    el_vicio wrote: »

Oh god is that game coming out now too

I'm gonna force myself not to buy it because I have so many other games in my backlog and coming out in the next few monthsthat I can just get it on sale or something

Then I'll probably cave the first time I can get it on GMG with 25% off

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

me too.

But I work sat/sunday :(

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Do you guys think we should make a beyond earth slash general 4X thread? Or should this here steam thread handle it just fine?

Time for me to go buy and preload beyond earth!

I figure demand should be high enough, especially if there is multiplayer to be had

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    It would take some pretty extreme circumstances for me to consider a death threat understandable. This wasn't even close to being one of them.

Some people in this thread are using understandable in a weird way here

Pip does not mean he agrees with what was done or that he condones the action

He mean he understands that someone who has been starving and had his personal life trashed trying to get out this game, who has been fucked by steam 3 separate times, would finally break by getting screwed by them yet again

When you are in a compromised emotional state, you are liable to say or do things you do not mean and that you regret

Anyone here saying that they would never do what the developer in this case has done cannot possibly know that unless they have been in the same or a similar situation

Try to put yourself in this persons shoes, in that level of desperation, and think about what you would do if you got fucked again

that is what pip means by understandable

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Do you guys think we should make a beyond earth slash general 4X thread? Or should this here steam thread handle it just fine?

Time for me to go buy and preload beyond earth!

Yeah when it comes out, or else this will just become the BE thread for a time.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    Yeah somebody should make one and we can find out if it will sustain itself

It probably will if the multiplayer is solid/fun enough, especially for a new damn civ game

2x39jD4.jpg
    Kwoaru wrote: »

I'm gonna force myself not to buy it because I have so many other games in my backlog and coming out in the next few monthsthat I can just get it on sale or something

You can get it for 25% off on GMG now I think
    (it's out on friday)

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular

Friday!

You can get it for 25% off on GMG now I think
    (it's out on friday)

No I'm gonna stay strong

50% off or holiday sale (so just holiday sale)

2x39jD4.jpg
  • RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    There is no way Beyond Earth goes to 50% off during the holiday sale.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
    This made me chuckle
    kv9oqfi1j31a.jpg

heh.JPG 26.8K
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

Oh god. Sitting next to some people eating lunch. One of them is talking about how she knows somebody who is selling access to their Origin account. Like you pay $45 and get to use the account whenever.

That sounds like such a horrible idea and a real good way to no longer have an account

Radius wrote: »
    There is no way Beyond Earth goes to 50% off during the holiday sale.

Exactly, but if I set two bars, one of which is time based (holiday sale) and one of which is completely unreasonable (50% any time), then I will successfully hold off until the desired time has passed

Because I am actually a small child and need to set it up for myself like that instead of just exercising restraint

2x39jD4.jpg
  • ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    oh boy

payday 2 is getting keanu reeves dlc

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Zandracon wrote: »
    oh boy

wut

JtgVX0H.png
  • HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    oh boy

wut

it's real!!

http://steamcommunity.com/games/218620/announcements/detail/221000653392938218

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    oh boy

whoa

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Yesterday, Paranautical Activity released out of steam Early Access, and following some confusion about the state of the game I became frustrated with Steam, and tweeted a series of angry tweets that ended in me sarcastically saying I was going to kill Gabe Newell. A statement I obviously didn’t mean but was regardless completely unacceptable.

As a result of my actions, Paranautical Activity, a game made by 4 or 5 people depending on who you count as team members, was removed from steam. I feel is it my responsibility to step down from Code Avarice completely so that Steam has no reason to harbor any more ill will towards the company, and maybe even if we can’t see Paranautical Activity restored, at least future Code Avarice games may be allowed onto the platform.

I’m really, deeply sorry that my short sighted, hot tempered actions resulted in not only my own dreams and aspirations being destroyed, but those of the entire team I worked with. I’m sorry that my statements made Valve and/or Gabe uncomfortable and upset (rightfully so).

My temper and tendency to use twitter to vent has been a consistent problem since I entered the games industry, and I just can’t do it. I don’t have the willpower necessary to be the “face” of a company. If I do continue to work in games it’ll be as an anonymous 1 of 1000 at some shitty corporation, not the most public figure of a single digit sized team.

I’ve sold my half of Code Avarice to Travis. Given up all my rights to CA as a company, and all it’s intellectual properties. I won’t receive any money from the sale of Paranautical Activity or any future games CA develops, I won’t be consulted on business decisions, and I won’t have any hand in development.

I’m out.

http://codeavarice.com/post/100592709238/mike-is-leaving-code-avarice

6F32U1X.png
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    it's always a good idea to preemptively call potential future employers shitty corporations

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    It would take some pretty extreme circumstances for me to consider a death threat understandable. This wasn't even close to being one of them.

He mean he understands that someone who has been starving and had his personal life trashed trying to get out this game, who has been fucked by steam 3 separate times, would finally break by getting screwed by them yet again

When you are in a compromised emotional state, you are liable to say or do things you do not mean and that you regret

Anyone here saying that they would never do what the developer in this case has done cannot possibly know that unless they have been in the same or a similar situation

Try to put yourself in this persons shoes, in that level of desperation, and think about what you would do if you got fucked again

No, I get what's being said. I just don't think it's at all reasonable. A death threat isn't something you should issue unless you fucking mean it. I'm extremely confident I wouldn't threaten to kill anyone in that situation.

BE is all preloaded :)

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    So Massive Chalice beta keys went out earlier today for kickstarter backers. I am pretty excited to finally be playing this game.

IKknkhU.gif
  • AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    So Massive Chalice beta keys went out earlier today for kickstarter backers. I am pretty excited to finally be playing this game.

The email said premium backers (>$50) but I got a key and I'm pretty sure I only donated $20??

No, I get what's being said. I just don't think it's at all reasonable. A death threat isn't something you should issue unless you fucking mean it. I'm extremely confident I wouldn't threaten to kill anyone in that situation.

You cannot be

You can't.

Your brain chemistry physically is not how it would be in the mental state you would be in in his situation, and you do not know how you would react, unless you have been in a similar situation

I'm glad we all agree death threats are bad

You will see that he apologized and admitted that he said things he shouldn't have in the heat of the moment

I am not condoning what he did but everyone going 'pfft he's just crazy no rational person would ever do that and I certainly wouldn't' is, quite frankly, really, really offputting

Condemn the action, say he should learn from it and apologize

don't definitively state you wouldn't do the same in his situation

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    My temper and tendency to use twitter to vent has been a consistent problem since I entered the games industry, and I just can’t do it. I don’t have the willpower necessary to be the “face” of a company. If I do continue to work in games it’ll be as an anonymous 1 of 1000 at some shitty corporation, not the most public figure of a single digit company

Oh woe is fucking me.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Yesterday, Paranautical Activity released out of steam Early Access, and following some confusion about the state of the game I became frustrated with Steam, and tweeted a series of angry tweets that ended in me sarcastically saying I was going to kill Gabe Newell. A statement I obviously didn’t mean but was regardless completely unacceptable.

As a result of my actions, Paranautical Activity, a game made by 4 or 5 people depending on who you count as team members, was removed from steam. I feel is it my responsibility to step down from Code Avarice completely so that Steam has no reason to harbor any more ill will towards the company, and maybe even if we can’t see Paranautical Activity restored, at least future Code Avarice games may be allowed onto the platform.

I’m really, deeply sorry that my short sighted, hot tempered actions resulted in not only my own dreams and aspirations being destroyed, but those of the entire team I worked with. I’m sorry that my statements made Valve and/or Gabe uncomfortable and upset (rightfully so).

My temper and tendency to use twitter to vent has been a consistent problem since I entered the games industry, and I just can’t do it. I don’t have the willpower necessary to be the “face” of a company. If I do continue to work in games it’ll be as an anonymous 1 of 1000 at some shitty corporation, not the most public figure of a single digit sized team.

I’ve sold my half of Code Avarice to Travis. Given up all my rights to CA as a company, and all it’s intellectual properties. I won’t receive any money from the sale of Paranautical Activity or any future games CA develops, I won’t be consulted on business decisions, and I won’t have any hand in development.

I’m out.

This is deeply upsetting

Mike needs to get some help or it is going to affect his work and social life. Leaving the limelight isn't going to change that

I’m out.

This is deeply upsetting

Mike needs to get some help or it is going to affect his work and social life. Leaving the limelight isn't going to change that

He needs help because it already has affected his work and social life, as evidence by him, while under stress, making death threats that cost his game being on Steam.

I’m out.

This is deeply upsetting

He needs help because it already has affected his work and social life, as evidence by him, while under stress, making death threats that cost his game being on Steam.

good point, used the wrong tense

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    internet personalities that have these bad blowup habits need to have a bit more of whatever breed of social anxiety I have that makes me terrified to have what I say be publicly visible on the internet

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
    Also hi Inquisitor! How is being back in the states treating you?

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular

You cannot be

You can't.

Your brain chemistry physically is not how it would be in the mental state you would be in in his situation, and you do not know how you would react, unless you have been in a similar situation

You will see that he apologized and admitted that he said things he shouldn't have in the heat of the moment

I am not condoning what he did but everyone going 'pfft he's just crazy no rational person would ever do that and I certainly wouldn't' is, quite frankly, really, really offputting

I didn't definitively state I would never do that because, as you said, you can't be 100% sure until you're in that situation. I just think it's highly unlikely. That said, it sucks that the guy has to give up on his dream like that over a momentary lapse in judgement. If Valve allows the game back on Steam, maybe the remaining members of the team will funnel some of their earnings to him.

Good! Really nice to be hanging out with my old friends, hitting up my old haunts, etc. Nice to have access to diverse food again, nice to have people speaking in a language I fully comprehend.

Found some part time work pretty quick back at Starbucks which is nice while as they have good benefits and income is nice while I go search for a career. Other then that just playing a ton of videogames and loving life. Going out to the biweekly fighting game tournaments in my area! I ended up on stream last week, which was rad, even though I lost!

You cannot be

You can't.

I didn't definitively state I would never do that because, as you said, you can't be 100% sure until you're in that situation. I just think it's highly unlikely. That said, it sucks that the guy has to give up on his dream like that over a momentary lapse in judgement. If Valve allows the game back on Steam, maybe the remaining members of the team will funnel some of their earnings to him.

Understandable

Sorry I came off so hard. I'm on anti-anxiety/anti-anger medication and I know some of the shit I did without it that I'd NEVER do now... until I went off it and got in a bad situation again

Does the fact that I did and would again do bad things in response to extreme stress make me a bad person?

I don't think so, and I get now that you weren't saying that necessarily, but its definitely a hot button for me

I'm really glad he realized what he'd done was wrong, but he needs some help

Good! Really nice to be hanging out with my old friends, hitting up my old haunts, etc. Nice to have access to diverse food again, nice to have people speaking in a language I fully comprehend.

Found some part time work pretty quick back at Starbucks which is nice while as they have good benefits and income is nice while I go search for a career. Other then that just playing a ton of videogames and loving life. Going out to the biweekly fighting game tournaments in my area! I ended up on stream last week, which was rad, even though I lost!

Nice man good to hear. And yeah honestly with good to ok income, as long as you've got insurance you'll be set while you look

• SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    raise the minimum age to register for twitter to 45

you can be president at 35 but twitter is still too much fucking responsibility you need another decade to smooth out

• Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    It's totally understandable that having a bunch of work over years strung along to a bunch of corporate silliness would cause anger. This does not make the man a bad person. It means death threats are far too close of an option even if they only come out in such stressed situations. It's a casual thing that is too accepted. It needs to be clamped down on to make it clear that stuff is not an option outside of life and death situations.

VRXwDW7.png
This discussion has been closed.