As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Movie] Thread: The Movie!

• Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    jimb213 wrote: »
    Houn wrote: »
    Watched "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" last night. Extremely well put together film, very enjoyable, and everything felt very earned. I think Sean Penn was miscast and we needed someone who looked older than Stiller to play the part. Highly recommend it to anyone.

I liked the general idea that the movie started with, but I didn't like that the "moral" or whatever was "you nerdy ass introverts need to just go be extroverts for awhile and then you'll be normal".

:?

As a major introvert who hasn't had enough alone time lately and is pretty sensitive to the whole "just be more extroverted" thing, that's not the moral of the story. It was about dreaming & doing, and not just letting life pass you by.

Whenever I see that movie, I have a difficult time not immediately tendering my resignation, selling (almost) everything I own and hitting the road with my dog and my camera for a year.

See, that's not what I get. The movie goes to great lengths to imply that Mitty's daydreams are a problem, and one that is solved by his going out into the world and interacting with people. I mean, the entire subplot with the the eHarmony (or whatever dating site) guy ends with him getting out of a bind by calling up a dude he barely knows, goes out and has extrovert coffee with him, and admits he isn't really daydreaming much anymore.

Daydreaming is presented as a symptom of his introversion, and once he "gets over" his social anxieties and just starts being extroverted and "normal", the problem goes away.

And it really rubs me the wrong way.

For me, social anxiety =/= introversion. I draw a pretty distinct line between the two.

I never really saw Mitty as an introvert anyways, but I see his daydreaming as what's in his heart, and his passivity is the result the routine that he's fallen into due to leading the life that outside pressures (society, family problems, etc) have told him to lead.

The story is about Mitty getting back to what he used to be before the weight of life squashed his dreams; it's about making his external life more like his internal.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I have not seen Walter Mitty, so I won't comment specifically on that film. I will say that Hollywood portrays introverts very poorly, and whatever Mitty in particular says about the introvert - extrovert divide, it is very much the case that extroversion is almost universally portrayed as the only acceptable choice.

I say this as someone who is very well liked and has no problems successfully mingling with large groups of people, but fucking hates doing it. Introversion has nothing to do with whether you can interact well with other people. Introversion is not a synonym for "socially awkward. " And Hollywood is about as competent at dealing with that distinction as it is with pretty much every other cultural nuance.

ie, not.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I have not seen Walter Mitty, so I won't comment specifically on that film. I will say that Hollywood portrays introverts very poorly, and whatever Mitty in particular says about the introvert - extrovert divide, it is very much the case that extroversion is almost universally portrayed as the only acceptable choice.

I say this as someone who is very well liked and has no problems successfully mingling with large groups of people, but fucking hates doing it. Introversion has nothing to do with whether you can interact well with other people. Introversion is not a synonym for "socially awkward. " And Hollywood is about as competent at dealing with that distinction as it is with pretty much every other cultural nuance.

ie, not.

Yuuuuup.

A big part of my job is public speaking. I routinely teach classes of 25-100 people at a time. It's not a problem. I will even talk to you before and after class and hold your hand and make you laugh and feel good about yourself. It is utterly exhausting, though.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Man. I just watched Education For Death, and that was one of the most horrifically masterful things I've seen. Props to Disney, I guess?

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Having watched The Fighter and Silver Linings Playbook (and a few others, but I'm sticking with his recent oeuvre) I continually get the feeling that David O Russell does not understand what the scripts he's shooting are really about.

I think honestly that he prefers the adulation that high-gloss middlebrow movies generate among the aged Academy voters, so he cops out on the more organic endings that those films suggest for big spectacles that play well to the cheap seats.

He tried to be esoteric and thoughtful earlier in his career, and it gave him nothing but trouble. So he sold out, and now he's a perennial Oscar contender. I'm sure he's happy, but fuck 'em regardless.

It's not just the ending though. Look at The Fighter.

Everything from the marketing to what seems like the overall direction of the film seems to think that Walberg is the main character. Even though Bale is the one with the actual character arc over the course of the movie. Walberg is literally like a prop that exists to highlight Bale's growth as a person. I mean, shit, the film is even bookended by scenes all about Bale.

And I really get the feeling Russell doesn't know this.

Oh, absolutely.

Much the same way that American Hustle should have been Bradley Cooper (the overzealous do-gooder) or Jeremy Renner's (the corrupt-but-earnestly well-meaning politician) movie, but the movie focuses on the three least interesting people involved in that whole story.

The funniest part to me is I think Walberg still thinks he was the star of a biopic about some random boxer dude. Like I can imagine him and Bale talking about the film and Walberg is all talking it up and Bale is just absently nodding his head, thinking about his Oscar back home and going "Sure thing Marky Mark. Whatever you wanna believe."

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular

ie, not.

If it makes you feel any better, as far as psychology is concerned there's nothing wrong with being either an introvert or an extrovert, both are normal. Introversion can cross paths with stuff like social anxiety or extreme shyness, but those are distinct pathologies, whereas simple introversion is not, it's a flavor of normal.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Also, I have no idea why everyone assumes Walter is an introvert. He has no problem talking to coworkers and family, or dealing with the admin staff for Facebook / his Moms retirement home. The only person he is shy around is the girl he crushes on, and even then he has no problem talking to her, just initiating conversation.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Also, I have no idea why everyone assumes Walter is an introvert. He has no problem talking to coworkers and family, or dealing with the admin staff for Facebook / his Moms retirement home. The only person he is shy around is the girl he crushes on, and even then he has no problem talking to her, just initiating conversation.

Because introversion isn't shyness or an inability to talk to people. Walter's rich internal life is the mark of an introvert.

Extroverts, in contrast, are typically quickly bored without people to interact with.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited October 2014

ie, not.

If it makes you feel any better, as far as psychology is concerned there's nothing wrong with being either an introvert or an extrovert, both are normal. Introversion can cross paths with stuff like social anxiety or extreme shyness, but those are distinct pathologies, whereas simple introversion is not, it's a flavor of normal.

Don't listen to him ElJeffe, he's wrong. Introversion is a deeply routed psychological illness that will forever keep you from being happy, successful, fulfilled or capable of pleasuring your wife sexually.

Thankfully, this can all be fixed by my one of a kind course, available for only 4 instalments of $29.99 + shipping and handling. I even claim to have a return policy if you aren't completely satisfied.

shryke on
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    A psychological illness that will forever keep me pleasuring my wife sexually? Give me more of that!

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options

ie, not.

Oh, I know. I have no problem with being an introvert. I don't wish I was any other way. I know a lot of people who are the exact same.

It'd just maybe be nice if someday introverts would collectively stand up and say, "Hey, extroverts, maybe stop patting yourselves on the goddamn backs just because you're totally into standing around twenty other people slinging inane pleasantries at one another."

• Options

Because introversion isn't shyness or an inability to talk to people. Walter's rich internal life is the mark of an introvert.

Extroverts, in contrast, are typically quickly bored without people to interact with.

The best explanation I've heard is that extroverts find it tiring to be alone, and are energized by the company of others. While introverts find it tiring to be in the company of others, and are energized by being alone.

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Man I feel lucky to apparently not be introverted or extroverted, or maybe both at different times. At times I love relaxing alone and doing my thing, at times I'd rather be with people, and am energized by both equally depending on what I feel like doing then.

The thought of either being uncomfortable while doing something alone or being uncomfortable while watching football or having a dinner party or whatever with my friends sounds terrible.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Man I feel lucky to apparently not be introverted or extroverted, or maybe both at different times. At times I love relaxing alone and doing my thing, at times I'd rather be with people, and am energized by both equally depending on what I feel like doing then.

The thought of either being uncomfortable while doing something alone or being uncomfortable while watching football or having a dinner party or whatever with my friends sounds terrible.

Again, it's not a question of comfort. It's a matter of energy expenditure, and it's a continuum, not a binary.

For example, I'm pretty introverted. Generally, I hate crowds, they literally sap my will to live. Often, the thought of choosing to go out and interact with people, especially people I don't know, is draining. But, even I get into states where I want to be social and hang, and I can be just as animated and active as any extrovert while doing so; just, after an unspecified amount of time, my batteries will be "empty" and I'll be ready to go home and recharge.

• Options
    I got you. See to me that just sounds like being a person. I'm a very social person, love hanging with my friends and all that. But I hate crowds, especially people I don't know. Like, going to a bar and hanging out for fun has never been anything but a chore to me. When I plan my outings for the weekends, even if I'm going to do fun things with friends and family I have to make sure it's not all day long and that I have time to do my own thing and relax at home.

I guess i never thought to label that kind of stuff. I would think hardly anybody wants to be alone 100% of the time or be with people 100% of the time.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    I liked how when Mitty decided to go on that first adventure the movie kept it really vague about whether he actually did it or if it was a slightly more involved daydream.

• Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular

but for me its like ' god i'm so alone, i need to go do something with somebody. ok nevermind this is too much i just want to go chill, then i chill and i'm like, god i'm so alone.'

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

The best explanation I've heard is that extroverts find it tiring to be alone, and are energized by the company of others. While introverts find it tiring to be in the company of others, and are energized by being alone.

Guess that makes me an introvert, I always find social interactions tiring because I'm constantly afraid I'll fuck up some social custom and instantly alienate people.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    That sounds more like social anxiety but I am not a doctor or anything.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Machete Kills, not good.

The whole "so cheap it's 'cool' " thing is terrible and needs to stop, and so, so much greenscreen. Unnecessary greenscreen and CGI at that. Bro, really, you have to put in cheap CGI muzzleflash instead of just using blanks? Can you at least have people pretend to pull the trigger on guns or pump a shotgun so it doesn't look so fake even though I know you think it's ironic or whatever? Plus Machete's schtick is tired by this point, and you're just sort of looking for all the cameos now. The humor isn't there but it thinks it is, and in a modern videogame fashion the ending doesn't matter because next movie Space X product placement.

Gibson, Bashir, and Heard are all very good, and way to completely waste Boyd Crowder, but then you have everyone else either doing this out of commitment or friendship or giving everyone SAG credits to keep their benefits going. I think I could actually figure out where in Austin they shot this film, and all those cheap aluminum warehouses.

Where is the Rodriguez who made Predators, and not the one who put the girl he directed from Spy Kids into this movie as a hooker with assless chaps which makes the whole scenario even creepier?

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    the girl he directed from Spy Kids into this movie as a hooker with assless chaps which makes the whole scenario even creepier?

:bigfrown:

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    To be fair, it was 10 years later and the actress was in her mid 20's. Doesn't mean the dude isn't creepy though.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Where is the Rodriguez who made Predators, and not the one who put the girl he directed from Spy Kids into this movie as a hooker with assless chaps which makes the whole scenario even creepier?

Rodridguez only produced Predators, which was directed by Nimrod Antal. So the answer to your question is "no longer held back by the creative considerations of others."

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Okay, I just watched Detention, and holy good goddamn.

Just... Just watch the movie. As was said earlier, it is Scream by way of Scott Pilgrim mixed with Cabin in the Woods, all of it shoved in a blender and poured over a Mel Brooks film.

The opening scene alone is worth the price of admission.

I need to watch it again, because the references and asides and nods and homages are like five deep at any given moment and I'm sure I missed a ton of stuff.

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    It's got a surprisingly mediocre imdb rating considering how you guys are gushing over it?

• Options
    obolon84obolon84 Good news, everyone! I just blue myself.Registered User regular
    I watched Detention a couple of weeks ago after seeing recommendations for it in lots of places. It sounded like it'd be great but I ended up really not liking it. I'm not even really sure what it was that made me not like it, but it fell way below my expectations.

bJnuewi.jpg
  • Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    Re: Mitty

Mitty isn't socially awkward - he is shown to be well-liked by his coworkers, and great with kids. He probably is introverted though, but combined with the previous interactions it's fairly clear it's not in the usual Hollywood "shut-in" way - but the eHarmony subplot does shed a negative light on his connections with the world.
    I wouldn't say he's lacking in self-confidence either - he does a hell of a lot of things seemingly without hesitation (it's only when he's deciding what to do about the drunken pilot that he shows the need to build up his courage). I agree with @Inksplat that he's someone who has put everyone else's needs before his own, so his only form of escapism is the daydreams when he zones out. While the movie doesn't make it clear whether the first globetrot is a daydream or not (I would argue it isn't due to the paraphenalia and his later comment to the eHarmony consultant that he doesn't daydream much any more), it ironically comes as a result of his desire to put other people first - he doesn't travel the world because he feels other people need him, but he ends up doing it anyway to please his asshole boss who wants the photo negative.

When both the romantic and photo plots resolve he realizes (a) he is capable of balancing his dreams and other people, and (b) if he voices his own opinions he can avoid a LOT of misunderstandings. He doesn't magically become an "extrovert", he just learns that the people he loves will still love him if he puts his own needs first sometimes.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Just a reminder: John Wick starts playing tomorrow (and tonight in some theaters) and it's also going to play in Imax.

I am super fucking jazzed about seeing a Keanu Reeves action movie in an Imax theater in the year 2014. That is not a sentence I ever expected to write, but there you go.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Scream mixed with Scott Pilgrim and Community or whatever sounds like it's trying to be way too quirky for me, and I may hate it for the same reasons some people are loving it, but now i have to watch this Detention just to see.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Panda4You wrote: »
    It's got a surprisingly mediocre imdb rating considering how you guys are gushing over it?

Some people are not going to like it, because it is a crazy fucking film. But my Netflix rated it 4.5 stars, which I'd say was about right. My wife loved it too, fwiw.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Scream mixed with Scott Pilgrim and Community or whatever sounds like it's trying to be way too quirky for me, and I may hate it for the same reasons some people are loving it, but now i have to watch this Detention just to see.

The movie definitely tries too hard. Then it makes fun of itself for trying too hard. Then it criticizes itself for making fun of itself. Then when it's done ourborosing it makes a fun face at you and somebody dies and it turns out Senor Vasquez was a vampire all along! Ahahahahaha.

I need to see this movie again, is what I'm saying.

Astaereth on
    ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    That sounds like it's trying way too hard to be quirky which is probably not going to be a positive for me. Netflix thinks i'll give it about a 3.1 stars. I see it has a 38% critic and 46% audience on RT as well, so it may appeal more directly to you than most.

I will still watch it because if nothing else i'm interested to see how I feel about it.

• Options
    Just a reminder: John Wick starts playing tomorrow (and tonight in some theaters) and it's also going to play in Imax.

I am super fucking jazzed about seeing a Keanu Reeves action movie in an Imax theater in the year 2014. That is not a sentence I ever expected to write, but there you go.

Seeing this tonight, though not in Imax, if only because Imax tends to be way too loud for my old man sensibilities.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Okay, I just watched Detention, and holy good goddamn.

Just... Just watch the movie. As was said earlier, it is Scream by way of Scott Pilgrim mixed with Cabin in the Woods, all of it shoved in a blender and poured over a Mel Brooks film.

The opening scene alone is worth the price of admission.

I need to watch it again, because the references and asides and nods and homages are like five deep at any given moment and I'm sure I missed a ton of stuff.

Yeah, the wife and I watched it last night and I loved it. I laughing hysterically throughout the movie, but she just had a couple of giggle moments.

The amazing thing is that it's practically 4-6 movies stacked on top of each other at any given moment.

Like the scene where they're watching the fake film in detention. You've got a direct Breakfest Club analog, a bizarro Saw parody, a parody of themselves parodying Saw, and time traveling absurdity just randomly tossed in.

It's the methamphetamine of movies.

Roz on
  • Options
    http://uproxx.com/movies/2014/10/the-love-loss-and-devastating-life-of-keanu-reeves/

A nice brief summary on why Keanu Reeves has earned being sad as hell whenever he wants.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    PsychoLarry1PsychoLarry1 Registered User regular
    I watched 28 Weeks Later, knowing it wasn't well regarded, but figuring it could at least sustain itself on the goodwill built up by the first film. Nope.

I'm all for watching the US military cockily show up, then fail due to hubris. And watching military tech clash with zombies is good fun too. But this movie relies so totally on characters foregoing even the barest minimum of common sense that the zombies end up being smarter than every person in the film. I can't even summon up the energy to list all the failures of intelligence in the film.

Even at a structural level the movie is a mess. It's poorly lit, cut like a seizure, and totally abandons any effort of endearing the audience towards any of the protagonists. The main characters are two whiny kids who are totally at fault for every bad thing that happens, and they never have anything even resembling a character arc. As if that weren't bad enough, the movie puts Idris Elba in London and still insists on forcing him to pretend to be American.

• Options

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    I watched 28 Weeks Later, knowing it wasn't well regarded, but figuring it could at least sustain itself on the goodwill built up by the first film. Nope.

I'm all for watching the US military cockily show up, then fail due to hubris. And watching military tech clash with zombies is good fun too. But this movie relies so totally on characters foregoing even the barest minimum of common sense that the zombies end up being smarter than every person in the film. I can't even summon up the energy to list all the failures of intelligence in the film.

Even at a structural level the movie is a mess. It's poorly lit, cut like a seizure, and totally abandons any effort of endearing the audience towards any of the protagonists. The main characters are two whiny kids who are totally at fault for every bad thing that happens, and they never have anything even resembling a character arc. As if that weren't bad enough, the movie puts Idris Elba in London and still insists on forcing him to pretend to be American.

Heimdall was on vacation.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    oh man I just realized I can go watch John Wick tonight

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yeah I'm seeing it at 8pm tonight, should be some fun times.

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.