As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Battle of Hayes Pond [Chat]

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    I must say, in the anime trap thread I laughed my ass off when someone did a legit long post about anime.

animes in the blood.

Sad malady.

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    ronya wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    I've actually read Seduction of the Innocent by Fredric Wertham.

It's a predictably stupid book.

oo

how much of it is universally stupid, and how much of it is a product of its time

The growth of psychology shapes the form of his book (in rhetorical format if not in actual, y'know, science)

But it's pretty much exactly the same, "Questionable non-white entertainment is stealing away our children's souls" moral panicking that had been around since the jazz age and continued along up to Tipper Gore.

"media programming of our children that requires immediate purification of the media" is bipartisan, really. In the 60s anticolonial student activists here used to agitate about replacing Richard the Lionheart in children's reading with Hang Tuah.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    because, y'know, freud

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    My data signal has been fluctuating from 3 bars down to zero and back up.

I haven't moved from this chair in 5 hours.

I suspect gremlins.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    I was the anime ALL along....

• Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    Guuuuuuuuuys my mum got that rescue kitty whose name is Meatloaf <3

2014-10-23_20.54.30.jpg

She texted me this and then followed up with
    "your sister wants to rename him "ObiWon?" (don't know spelling) - - not sure, what is that"

I'm torn because on one hand, Meatloaf is like easily top 5 cat name
    But Obi-Wan...

(guys, how in the fuck did my mum not watch Star Wars. I have failed my familyyyyyy :bigfrown:)

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Stick with Meatloaf.

but make her watch Star Wars

all three movies

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    please enjoy my following jokes on reddit, mra, pua, libertarians, easter, ceremonial deism, the unbearable lightness of being, and reddit:

You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Blargh. Woke up early due to a really depressing dream. Do not want.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular

oo

how much of it is universally stupid, and how much of it is a product of its time

The growth of psychology shapes the form of his book (in rhetorical format if not in actual, y'know, science)

But it's pretty much exactly the same, "Questionable non-white entertainment is stealing away our children's souls" moral panicking that had been around since the jazz age and continued along up to Tipper Gore.

In this case, he was less concerned with it being non-white (Wertham, to his credit, was less of a racist than his peers) but he was particularly scared of the gay. Sexual impurity was his bogeyman, whether it was lesbian undertones in Wonder Woman or gay undertones in Batman or implied necrophilia in horror comics or breasts a little bit too pronounced in a femme fatale's blouse in a detective comic.

Fer shure, but he's not the one that created the movement, just the movement's leading tool. Comics restrictions were already starting without him.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Stick with Meatloaf.

all three movies

And Genndy Tartakovsky's Clone Wars.

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular

2014-10-23_20.54.30.jpg

"your sister wants to rename him "ObiWon?" (don't know spelling) - - not sure, what is that"

But Obi-Wan...

(guys, how in the fuck did my mum not watch Star Wars. I have failed my familyyyyyy :bigfrown:)

Fidel Catstro
    Chairman Meow
    Adolf Kittler
    Herman Purring
    etc

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    My data signal has been fluctuating from 3 bars down to zero and back up.

I haven't moved from this chair in 5 hours.

I suspect gremlins.

The bars on your display are pretty much meaningless.

• Options

oo

In this case, he was less concerned with it being non-white (Wertham, to his credit, was less of a racist than his peers) but he was particularly scared of the gay. Sexual impurity was his bogeyman, whether it was lesbian undertones in Wonder Woman or gay undertones in Batman or implied necrophilia in horror comics or breasts a little bit too pronounced in a femme fatale's blouse in a detective comic.

Fer shure, but he's not the one that created the movement, just the movement's leading tool. Comics restrictions were already starting without him.

Oh, yeah, totally true

• Options
    Watching the Avengers trailer. I can't stop watching it. I need this movie.

Pinocchio's song is incredibly creepy in this, and is probably the best example of one of the biggest payouts for fans from Disney purchasing Marvel.

• Options
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Watching the Avengers trailer. I can't stop watching it. I need this movie.

Pinocchio's song is incredibly creepy in this, and is probably the best example of one of the biggest payouts for fans from Disney purchasing Marvel.

somebody, somewhere, is bitching about it

somebody, somewhere, deserves a colon full of my boot

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    @Kana let me in on that piece when you've got it sorted, I should compare your penis to mine in this area (especially since mine is a doctor-to-be schlong)

• Options
    evilbob wrote: »

2014-10-23_20.54.30.jpg

But Obi-Wan...

Fidel Catstro
    Chairman Meow
    Adolf Kittler
    Herman Purring
    etc

I'm seeing a theme here....

Are they are all baseball stars? I don't watch baseball.

• Options
    paging dr schlong

dr schlong

• Options
    simonwolf wrote: »
    Kana let me in on that piece when you've got it sorted, I should compare your penis to mine in this area (especially since mine is a doctor-to-be schlong)

maaan mine was literally half written on the toilet

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Kitty's secret name is Robert Paulson.

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »
    Kana let me in on that piece when you've got it sorted, I should compare your penis to mine in this area (especially since mine is a doctor-to-be schlong)

maaan mine was literally half written on the toilet

I genuinely appreciate reading write-ups by other people/"peers" in this space

since I can steal it and take all the academic credit

• Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    Stick with Meatloaf.

all three movies

This is a lot to ask of a lady who routinely falls asleep in the middle of a hockey game

(I guess this is why she hasn't watched it, tbh, I'm sure my sister has watched it enough times that she ought to have seen the whole thing by now)

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular

2014-10-23_20.54.30.jpg

But Obi-Wan...

Fidel Catstro
    Chairman Meow
    Adolf Kittler
    Herman Purring
    etc

Aww my friend just recently had to put her kitty down and his name was Chairman Meow.

• Options
    You know, Marvel is pulling a Pixar here. There's gonna be a Cars 2 at some point, but....

The fact that every film they're putting out ties into a singular storyline (Maybe Civil War, maybe The Infinity War) is something I've never seen before and good god but are they pulling it off or what.

When this is all said and done, how many billions of dollars of revenue is this one franchise, because really, it's all one, going to generate?

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I don't know why, but Youtube has stopped hiding the controls/title/progress bar in full screen, which is annoying as heck.

• Options
    Stick with Meatloaf.

all three movies

For my money the best of the CG Clone Wars is way better than Tartakovsky

• Options
    Stick with Meatloaf.

all three movies

Hm. I watched the first ep of Clone Wars and it really seems like it's not for me.

• Options
    Echo wrote: »
    I don't know why, but Youtube has stopped hiding the controls/title/progress bar in full screen, which is annoying as heck.

Yeah. I think it's a mouse focus issue. You can click below the progress bar and it might do the retract after a couple seconds. But not always. :/

• Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    These radio 4 spots about the police spy's activist girlfriend/mother of his child and her search for justice are almost surreal.

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    Oh boy so apparently that was a group text I just replied to at 2am with:

"Obi-Wan! (there is a really fantastic Star Wars quote that belongs here: "Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope!" - - you won't understand but Sierra will so you should tell her I said that.) I think Meatloaf is an awesome cat name! <3"

/headdesk

• Options
    Stick with Meatloaf.

all three movies

Hm. I watched the first ep of Clone Wars and it really seems like it's not for me.

that's a really reasonable conclusion to draw from a lot of the early episodes

It improves a LOT later on

• Options
    Totally telling your advisor on you Doug.

If I can figure out which school you go to.

And which of the roughly 3 million Australians named Doug is you.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Stick with Meatloaf.

all three movies

This was my reaction at first so I kinda wrote it off

The Star Wars thread convinced me to give it a more serious try and I'm seriously glad I did it improves sooooo much

• Options
    Wait I just updated Chrome and now the forum font is weird

send help

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    I would love some small team to go back and visually update the first 3 Turok games to like ps2 level but 1080p/60 I would play the hell out of that.

• Options
    Just think how much Ebola-tainted sweat and mucus that person spread over those 3 miles.

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    I would love some small team to go back and visually update the first 3 Turok games to like ps2 level but 1080p/60 I would play the hell out of that.

The way xbla perfect dark was done is best.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular

The way xbla perfect dark was done is best.

Yep, pretty much

This discussion has been closed.