As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Australian & NZ Politics] Thanks, Shorten.

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    AwbP0WK.jpg

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    What do they mean in regards to "without providing an effective consumer protection measure" anyway? Isn't letting consumers know how often the government is requesting their data a pretty effective consumer protection measure? Or do they only consider the government that is doing the requesting to be the consumer in this instance, in which case yeah, the reporting isn't protecting them. Duh.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Hopefully companies report it anyway.

• Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Awesome-ing the unarmed police, not the sex offender register.

Me too. I knew people who worked on the issue some years ago and they seem convinced it wouldn't help in any significant way. I guess I should talk to them.

Alternatively there may be government papers on this, maybe from the Law Commission

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    I mean, the ISPs likely resent having to spy on their users and not be compensated.

When compensation is involved they love it and turn it into a profit. But without compensation?

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Oh sweet Jesus, Morrison wants Operation Sovereign Borders to handle our Ebola response.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-23/cabinet-split-over-australia-response-to-deadly-ebola-threat/5834680

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Sounds like its not getting the "Shut up and give up" treatment most of the shit he says gets.
    There's a lot of backlash.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/loony-left-privacy-advocates-putting-aussie-lives-at-risk/story-fni0cx12-1227099147859?nk=c8e80fac5e452961d2653e5cf7210840
    Loony Left privacy advocates putting Aussie lives at risk
    But opponents of the legislation, such as Greens senator Scott Ludlam, independent senators, the IPA, and assorted libertarians, are campaigning against what they say are “repressive” privacy breaches and extra costs for data retention.

...IPA = left according to Murdoch press.....

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Crucial new laws, eh? It's crucial that telcos pay to store data about every single phone call for 2 years, or else the terrorists win? It's probably also crucial that poor people stop with this silly voting nonsense, because you just can't trust poor people to vote the right way.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    So we'll get a royal commission into alleged ties between unions and organised crime, but not into the CBA after a bipartisan report recommended it.

And despite every report saying the idea would be disasterous, the government's still in talks with banks to push welfare cards, which would determine what can and cannot be purchased by those on benefits (basically, US-style food stamps). Because nothing says small government like micromanaging the dirty peasants.

Suriko on
  • Options
    Why does it seem like Australia really wants to be the USA? USA style healthcare, USA style welfare, USA style voting suppression, USA style environmental protection and the list just goes on. I had kind of hoped that the bad parts of the USA would have served as a warning to the rest of the world, not a shining example.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    Why does it seem like Australia really wants to be the USA? USA style healthcare, USA style welfare, USA style voting suppression, USA style environmental protection and the list just goes on. I had kind of hoped that the bad parts of the USA would have served as a warning to the rest of the world, not a shining example.

It really helps the income disparity grow
    Right now it grows like pine, but one day they hope it could grow like bamboo

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    America's policies benefit the rich, rich people make the laws

that's it

that's everything which is happening

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    also racism

there's also a fuck ton of blatant racism

if i had the power morrison would be tried for hate crimes

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    By the courts?

• Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    Cards for welfare can be a more efficient way to distribute benefits through existing banking infrastructure.

Of course they will probably be used for restricting purchases and the always fun service charges on the destitute.

It's not a bad policy in theory, but who seems to be pushing it over there is telling.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    By the courts?

yeah there's all kinds of problems with the idea

i mean which court? australia? can our laws even do that? can the world court? i don't know.

it aggravates me that after fucking up this country for the next however many years it is until we finally kick these morons out of office they're just gonna keep on going and then eventually retire with fat renumeration packages

there's no accountability

Morninglord on
  • Options
    http://www.news.com.au/national/private-health-insurers-set-to-manage-patients-gp-care/story-fncynjr2-1227031109206
    EXCLUSIVE: Private health insurers are set to be handed control of every Australian’s general practitioner treatment under a US-style healthcare revolution.

Every visit to a general practitioner will be coordinated by private health insurers who want to manage how your doctor treats you if they win the tender to run a new primary care network. The health care revolution follows the Abbott Government’s controversial decision to give private insurers the right to tender to run its new Primary Health Networks that will replace Medicare Locals. These new bodies will effectively co-ordinate the care every patient (not just health fund members) receives from their GP, provide links with hospitals and assess and improve patient health outcomes.

Health Minister Peter Dutton has publicly made a case for greater involvement of private Insurers in GP care without outlining how this would occur. His spokesman has told News Corp Australia the first step will be allowing health funds to, along with other interested providers, get the opportunity to tender to run PHN’s. “They will be able to put in a tender,” he said.

One of Australia’s leading health funds, BUPA has already expressed an interest. “We are keen to play a role in better integrating care and care outcomes and are looking for opportunities in that space,” a spokeswoman for BUPA said.

We're fucked.

• Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    Why in the jolly fuck would that work

Who are they fucking kidding?

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Why in the jolly fuck would that work

Who are they fucking kidding?

I'm hoping nobody. The media reports on it certainly aren't mincing words about what's happening. And first contact between GPs and any large document outlining who they now have to talk to before they can do <obvious medical treatment> is going to be met with a lot of hostility.

Of course the real problem here is whether the Labor party can figure out how to capitalize on this. And that's really where we meet the flaw in the plan...

• Options
    A NEW suite of ‘McSchools’ where kids learn about all aspects of the fast food industry, could be established under the Abbott government’s new $500,000 corporate schools trial.

Inspired by the hi-tech IBM school in New York, Prime Minister Tony Abbott this month announced the Federal Government would provide half a million dollars for corporate-sponsored Pathways in Technology Early College High Schools (P-TECH) in Australia, with the first to be established in the Victorian town of Geelong.

A spokeswoman for McDonalds told News Corp the high-profile fast food chain is yet to hold discussions with the Federal Government about the P-TECH proposal, but said the organisation was reviewing the announcement and conceded it was “a possibility” McDonalds would want to participate in the pilot.

The Federal Government has not ruled out allowing fast food companies to take part in its corporate schools trial, and the country’s most senior Education bureaucrat has told a Senate estimates hearing in Canberra that some fast food companies have a proven track record of delivering education programs.

I guess the Liberals really do have a bold new vision for Australia.

A nation of corporate slaves from cradle to grave.

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Are you fucking shitting me?

• Options
    That's the government's bold new plan for employment? they couldn't find anything more worthwhile?

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Australia, home of BigMac.

• Options
    That's the government's bold new plan for employment? they couldn't find anything more worthwhile?

It's elegant, really.

Beginning your life, you're taught the wonders of the free market and how to be a good worker by corporations
    Moving out? The companies will tell you where to live, because after all, you need to move to where the jobs are
    If you get sick, private insurance companies will speak up, telling you what medicines you'll take to get back on the job
    If you wonder what this is all for, the Murdoch press companies will assure you how protected we now are, from the terrorists, the left, and the poor
    No need to worry yourself about joining a union - they're all criminals, after all
    And besides, your company will be here take care of you
    From cradle to grave

• Options
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    For CEO and Company. (For God and Country)

• Options
    edited October 2014
    http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/labor-might-turn-back-the-boats-richard-marles-20141026-11bym6.html
    The opposition says it still has "anxieties" over the controversial policy of turning back asylum seeker boats but says it "might" continue the practice in Government if Indonesia backed the idea.

Shorten managed to miraculously find some fucking balls on supporting gay marriage, but it was only about a day until Labor scurried back to being Liberal Party Lite.

Meanwhile, on the Liberal side of the fence, they're frantically defending the TPP as it becomes increasingly obvious they have every intention of bending over for US demands.

Suriko on
  • Options
    TigerStylezTigerStylez Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    <iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/OS0zS7Tij28" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm a noob?

TigerStylez on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Good article from Geddes about the latest demand by the Police Association to arm police
    http://www.pundit.co.nz/content/and-if-you-have-to-carry-a-gun-to-keep-your-fragile-seat-at-number-one

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Because lest there be a sector of government not subject to the wrecking ball. Of course, blamed on Labor.
    Tony Abbott has conceded the government is cutting a hospitals funding agreement with immediate effect, contrary to his weekend claim that the cuts did not take effect for years.

On Sunday Abbott said: “We’re not talking about next week or next month or even next year; we are talking about changes in three years' time”. But Abbott now agrees the national partnership agreement on public hospitals, which begins on 1 July, has been cut. Budget documents say it has been cut by $1.8bn over the next four years.

The prime minister says the reductions should be blamed on Labor because the former government had previously revised the agreement. “There was a national partnerships agreement which the Labor party hadn’t funded on [hospital] beds and we have decided not to renew it, but this is a Labor cut, it is not a Coalition cut,” Abbott told the ABC. But the budget document is clear that money has been cut by this government, stating: “The government will save $1.8bn over four years from 2014-15 by ceasing the funding guarantees under the national health reform agreement 2011 and revising commonwealth hospital funding arrangements from July 2017.”

This dovetails with recent statements about a push for reforming the federation and responsibilities of the states, including revenue generation. It appears their game will be to slash federal funding, and leave the states to pick up the tab.

Suriko on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    I would like a sad face reaction button, just for this thread.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Suriko wrote: »
    http://www.news.com.au/national/private-health-insurers-set-to-manage-patients-gp-care/story-fncynjr2-1227031109206
    EXCLUSIVE: Private health insurers are set to be handed control of every Australian’s general practitioner treatment under a US-style healthcare revolution.

Every visit to a general practitioner will be coordinated by private health insurers who want to manage how your doctor treats you if they win the tender to run a new primary care network. The health care revolution follows the Abbott Government’s controversial decision to give private insurers the right to tender to run its new Primary Health Networks that will replace Medicare Locals. These new bodies will effectively co-ordinate the care every patient (not just health fund members) receives from their GP, provide links with hospitals and assess and improve patient health outcomes.

Health Minister Peter Dutton has publicly made a case for greater involvement of private Insurers in GP care without outlining how this would occur. His spokesman has told News Corp Australia the first step will be allowing health funds to, along with other interested providers, get the opportunity to tender to run PHN’s. “They will be able to put in a tender,” he said.

One of Australia’s leading health funds, BUPA has already expressed an interest. “We are keen to play a role in better integrating care and care outcomes and are looking for opportunities in that space,” a spokeswoman for BUPA said.

We're fucked.

But look at how good the health care is when money is the overriding concern!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-23/rejection-of-costly-new-cure-a-death-sentence-for-hep-c-sufferer/5837484

See we only predict 50 000 casualties.

The system works!

I have been wanting, for a while, politicians who are less worried about listening to their populace and more worried about reforming the system and doing what they think is right.

I now thoroughly see the problem inherent in this idea. It was stupendously naive.

Now I want the ability for a populace to be able to trigger a vote of no confidence in their government somehow.

Fuck it, that's not what I really want, that's my realistic potential change given how prevalent and fast our communication is nowadays.

What I really want is to smash the whole system into rubble with a giant hammer and start again.

On the basis that any system that allows these chuckle fucks into power and able to do this blatantly tyrannical bullshit is fundamentally broken at its core.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    And once again rumblings of trying to get the states to raise GST. Can't find any stories on it yet, but it's in the Guardian live blog, so I expect more by the end of the day.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    plufim wrote: »
    And once again rumblings of trying to get the states to raise GST. Can't find any stories on it yet, but it's in the Guardian live blog, so I expect more by the end of the day.

Given that Abbott used to be for further centralisation of power away from the states and to the federal government (which I support, in general terms), the fact that he's had this turnaround on state power literally the day before he strips a large amount of funding from the states, and spruiks them further increasing internal revenue generation, is a pretty blatant way to raise the GST but keep the talking point of the federal government not having done so. By hanging the axe of funding over the heads of the state governments, he can effectively bully them into enacting unpopular measures and keep his hands clean.

Suriko on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Yeah this is just another dirty trick to help it look like they're keeping their noses clean while they stab us in the dick.

• Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014

Jesus jackjumping Christ what the hell is this
    The Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) would require us to allow food imports if the exporting country claims that their safety regime is "equivalent" to our own, even if it violates the key principles of our food safety laws. These rules would effectively outsource domestic food inspection to other countries.

Under TPP, any U.S. food safety rule on pesticides, labeling or additives that is higher than international standards would be subject to challenge as "illegal trade barriers." The U.S. would be required to eliminate these rules and allow in the unsafe food, or we would face trade sanctions. The TPP would impose limits on country-of-origin labels providing information on where a food product comes from.

Additionally "Buy American" government procurement policies would now be banned, as the treaty requires governments to give foreign corporations equal access to taxpayer-funded procurement contracts.

Under the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) "free trade" agreement, foreign firms would gain an array of privileges:

Rights to acquire land, natural resources, factories without government review
    Risks and costs of offshoring to low wage countries eliminated
    Special guaranteed "minimum standard of treatment"; for relocating firms
    Compensation for loss of "expected future profits" from health, labor environmental, laws (indirect or "regulatory" takings compensation)
    Right to move capital without limits
    New rights cover vast definition of investment: intellectual property, permits, derivatives
    Under this regime, foreign investors can skirt domestic courts and laws, and sue governments directly before tribunals of three private sector lawyers operating under World Bank and UN rules to demand taxpayer compensation for any domestic law that investors believe will diminish their "expected future profits."
    (also they stuck most of the stuff from SOPA in there too, along with mandating that goverments open the public service sector to private corporations)

Replace "American" and "U.S." with "Australian" and "Australia"

I swear to God the assholes in the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative are traitors and deserve a traitor's reward. The guy in charge? Michael Froman. A former classmate of Obama who served as a Chief Executive in Citigroup and introduced him to Robert Rubin, former Goldman Sachs executive and Citigroup chairman. They both made hundreds of millions when Obama bailed out Citigroup. Obama gave him a cushy job as thanks for "helping" (steering his economic policy) since 2004.

You think people in the U.S. know about the TPP? We don't!* This is the first time I've ever heard of it and news agencies and public watchdog groups are banned from the negotiations. If word got out about what this is there would be riots. We lost millions of jobs to Mexico and shuttered thousands of factories due to NAFTA, the TPP would kill us.

You guys have real third-parties, right? If left-wing Labor and right-wing Liberal both support TPP, can't you vote for someone else? Anyone else?

*Or we're fed propaganda. That Huffington Post editorial "Separating Fact from Fiction" was written by a member of the far-right Brookings Institution who once said "Stop saying robots are destroying jobs."

Captain Marcus on
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    The only reason anybody knows anything about the contents of the TPP is because of leaks through various channels. It says a lot that what presents itself as a mundane trade treaty has to be kept a carefully guarded secret by every party to negotiations. It's hilarious to see our trade minister acting furious at "misinformation" about the treaty that they refuse to actually present to the public for discussion.

Labor did support TPP, but were against a number of the worst aspects, so little progress was made on it while they were in power. The new Liberal party has bent over and politely asked the US how deep the rod wiill be jammed. The Greens are against it, but the media's done a great job of painting them as fringe lunatics.

Saying that we have other parties who'd be against the TPP is looking at the wrong part of the equation. Nobody knows it exists. You're already among the prime people to know of the thing, being a denizen/citizen of the internet who has an interest in politics, and yet even you didn't know. That's how well they've kept a lid on it. It can't be an election issue because it's intentionally hidden from the public.

Suriko on
  • Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    Saying that we have other parties who'd be against the TPP is looking at the wrong part of the equation. Nobody knows it exists. You're already among the prime people to know of the thing, being a denizen/citizen of the internet who has an interest in politics, and yet even you didn't know. That's how well they've kept a lid on it. It can't be an election issue because it's intentionally hidden from the public.

That's not happening if I have any say about it. Posters all over the goddamned campus, a letter-writing campaign, a club table, etc. Best of luck in saying "HELL NO", Australia. The American people don't want it any more than you do.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Guys it isn't a dirty trick if there's no trick.

That's the thing.

Previous to this politicians actually, you know, tried to pull a con.

These guys are in no way attempting to con anyone because its all so fucking blatant.

They say the words as if they are but nobody believes them and I doubt they expect anyone to. It's just habit at this point.

Morninglord on