As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

ROCK BAND - mods close this please

• archonwarparchonwarp Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    archonwarp wrote: »
    All I want is a good master-recording release of anything Queen. Hammer to fall would be pretty sweet, Brighton Rock Solo for the adventurous, I Want to Break Free, Tie Your Mother Down, etc. Put something that's good and full of Freddy Mercury in.

This statement is made of win and awesome, and the only thing I can add to it is the hope of Ogre Battle. AH AH AH AH AHHHHHHHHH

Oh dude yeah! Or March of the Black Queen even. Man, so much win if you have a vocalist who can act all over-the-top etc.

Speaking of vocals, what's this I saw mentioned about not having vocals transmit online? Weak Sauce!

archonwarp on
    873342-1.png
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This price is nearly $100.00 less than I had committed myself to being willing to spend for Rock Band. I am pleased.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Basically, what needs to happen here is that Queen gets a disc all to themselves. There's just too much awesome for the intertubes to handle with DLC.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    archonwarp wrote: »
    Speaking of vocals, what's this I saw mentioned about not having vocals transmit online? Weak Sauce!

If you're willing to catch up on the thread you'll see a lot of good reasons that it's not going to happen.

Captain K on
  • TheOne(AndOnly)TheOne(AndOnly) Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I just thought of this, if vocals can't be done over live maybe they could add in some bitchin instrumentals.

TheOne(AndOnly) on
    BNet USEast: Lampley | PKBlack FC:1850-1035-3335 | LoL PATheOneAndOnly
    PSN: Lqmpley | Steam: TheOne(AndOnly)
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I guess it's the PS2 version for my family. I was planning on getting a Wii AND Rock Band but because a Wii version has yet to be announced, I will be dropping cash on the PS2 version and will make due without DLC if that's the case. I seriously couldn't be fucked buying an 360 or PS3 as I wouldn't use them enough to justify the pricetag on them.

EDIT: And yes to Queen. They've pretty much nailed everything else around and beyond Queen.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited October 2007
    I just thought of this, if vocals can't be done over live maybe they could add in some bitchin instrumentals.
    You are going to hear the cover artist or the master track instead.

I guess you can turn that track down though if you want, which would make every song an instrumental.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    syndalis wrote: »
    You are going to hear the cover artist or the master track instead.

I guess you can turn that track down though if you want, which would make every song an instrumental.

Yeah, but a song that is made with vocals usually won't sound good when you just take them out, because the song's structure is designed around having them.

mntorankusu on
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    It worked for GH1's version of Spanish Castle Magic!!!

well, not exactly.

Captain K on
  • archonwarparchonwarp Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I see what you're saying, K...

This could probably be chopped up a bit and added to the OP:
    KalTorak wrote: »

You're ignoring the fact that in 99% of other games, it really doesn't matter whether you hear your friend say "I'm out of ammo" at 9:50:35 or 9:50:36. In a music game however, timing precision is much more crucial. Not only will it sound like shit, it throws off everyone else who hears it. Ever try playing GH with a recording of the same song playing in the background, 1 second off? My friend did it occasionally to fuck with me - and that's exactly what it does. Your argument seems to be "Why won't they let me?!" when it's not an issue of them being lazy and not putting in the option b/c it's too much work. Implementing that kind of feature would either A) compromise the entire multiplayer aspect of the game or B) make you pay a monthly fee for the vast wodges of bandwidth you'd need to make the game playable.

I just hope that there's an option of LAN in general, particularly for vocals. Though I completely understand why, and even saw it as a possible problem from the beginning, it pisses me off. It feels like they're really shafting over the vocalist, though this has probably been discussed into the ground several times. In any case, I'm still looking forward to it, as I have enough friends who want to play in person.

*edit* It would be cool if they set it up for the vocalist to start singing 5 seconds earlier or so for a 'recording session' style mode. It would auto-sync everything up for you and let you listen to/save your track when you were done.

archonwarp on
    873342-1.png
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    Where the fuck is my Wii version is what I want to know. :(

I don't want to buy the PS2 version.....

I won't buy the PS2 version.....

and, ok, now they have announced pricing, bundles, controllers, etc. Announce something about the Wii! Please?

And if I may request it, don't skimp on it like the PS2. The Wii is a big boy, he can handle all the songs packed onto that DVD just like the 360 can. And it can get DLC 'cause Nintendo has the VC/WiiWare channel right there, ready to be used. And it can do wireless with cheaper controllers too, because you just gotta let it plug into the wiimote!

Moss, can you pass this on? I'm sure they already know this, but it'd be nice to get some confirmation.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • hmxmosshmxmoss Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    ArcSyn wrote: »

and, ok, now they have announced pricing, bundles, controllers, etc. Announce something about the Wii! Please?

And if I may request it, don't skimp on it like the PS2. The Wii is a big boy, he can handle all the songs packed onto that DVD just like the 360 can. And it can get DLC 'cause Nintendo has the VC/WiiWare channel right there, ready to be used. And it can do wireless with cheaper controllers too, because you just gotta let it plug into the wiimote!

Moss, can you pass this on? I'm sure they already know this, but it'd be nice to get some confirmation.

Everyone here is pretty well aware that there are folks who want a Wii version. But you will only get confirmation if/when there is something to confirm. It doesn't help a company to announce every week that there is nothing to announce. ;-)

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    hmxmoss wrote: »
    ArcSyn wrote: »

Everyone here is pretty well aware that there are folks who want a Wii version. But you will only get confirmation if/when there is something to confirm. It doesn't help a company to announce every week that there is nothing to announce. ;-)

The first company to hold a press conference to say "we have nothing to announce" wins in my book. :D

I read your post and instantly it played out in my mind much to my amusement. lol.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited October 2007
    I still say they could have let the vocalist run 3-4 seconds ahead of the pack, and use a timing track to make sure it falls where it needs to for everyone else. In exchange, the vocalist doesn't see the score during the performance itself, and the mistakes people make on the other side can be dropped in on other notes or note sections so the vocalist can at least see the rock meter while performing.

Sure, it would have involved SOME sacrifice to the integrity of the game looking the same from all parties involved, but I think it could have made a better overall experience.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Does anyone know if you can create bands online like you would create clans? Or is it just playing online with Random peoples and friends.

Kyougu on
  • BrueBrue Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Hmm I wonder if the online capabilities will be cross console... i.e. play my 360 version with a friend of mine who unfortunately has a PS3... that'd be cool.

Brue on
  • hmxmosshmxmoss Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Brue wrote: »
    Hmm I wonder if the online capabilities will be cross console... i.e. play my 360 version with a friend of mine who unfortunately has a PS3... that'd be cool.

Cool, yes. Ain't gonna happen, though. Sorries.

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Ah, our original Rock Band thread is almost dead. Do you guys want me to make the next one, with the OP updated with news but not a ton of info on the game, or does someone else feel like making a proper OP?

bruin on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm curious how popular GH, and by extension, Rock Band is in Japan. Cause although I couldn't do the singing parts, I would kill for a J-Pop/metal disc.

Just doing Ready,Steady, Go would be damn awesome.

Kyougu on
  • HelfMyselpHelfMyselp Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Kyougu wrote: »
    I would kill for a J-Pop/metal disc.

Luna Sea, X-Japan, Malice Mizer, Do As Infinity, Tokyo Jihen, Anna Tsuchiya, Galneryus, Sambomaster...and I haven't even scratched the surface. All kinds of awesome J-rock/pop/metal would be welcome, regardless of the vocals. :D

HelfMyselp on
  • ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    More NIN plz.

I'm torn... on the one hand, I do have $170 to drop on the full package plus a lot of people to play with that unfortunately do not have PS3s. On the other hand, I won't use the mic and probably will only use the drums a little bit plus I don't really have anywhere to store them.

Decisions, decisions... My aunt really wants me to get this by Christmas time so I can bring it to our family dinner, and I suppose drunken family Rock Band would be pretty amusing.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Reznik wrote: »
    and I suppose drunken family Rock Band would be pretty much my number one reason for buying the game.

Fix'd. I'm counting on this being a VERY important feature.

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    and I suppose drunken family Rock Band would be pretty much my number one reason for buying the game.

Rockband $170 edition comes with:

Game
    Microphone
    Guitar
    Drums
    Crate of Beer, exchangable for 2 bottles of whisky.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • liquidloganliquidlogan Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Any official Canadian pricing yet, moss? Or would it be fair to say that we should just round up to $199.99 (despite the fact that we are at parity with the US)?

liquidlogan on
  • FrostozunaFrostozuna Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Does anyone know if the DLC will be identical between the PS3 and 360 versions? It would make sense that both consoles should get the same stuff but I just thought I'd ask and make sure

Frostozuna on
  • the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Frostozuna wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the DLC will be identical between the PS3 and 360 versions? It would make sense that both consoles should get the same stuff but I just thought I'd ask and make sure

I don't think there's been an official "all DLC will be the same between ps3 and 360" statement, but I know there hasn't been any excluviness statements made either. I would expect them to be the same.

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed
  • elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you can create bands online like you would create clans? Or is it just playing online with Random peoples and friends.

It would be awesome if you could do this and then have an online battle of the bands tournament.

elevature on
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    syndalis wrote: »
    I still say they could have let the vocalist run 3-4 seconds ahead of the pack, and use a timing track to make sure it falls where it needs to for everyone else. In exchange, the vocalist doesn't see the score during the performance itself, and the mistakes people make on the other side can be dropped in on other notes or note sections so the vocalist can at least see the rock meter while performing.

Sure, it would have involved SOME sacrifice to the integrity of the game looking the same from all parties involved, but I think it could have made a better overall experience.

Hey, that's exactly what I was saying before. Hi5.

I understand the problems behind it, but I think it's fairly pointless to sing online if the other players can't hear you, so to me it would be worth the sacrifice to make it happen.

mntorankusu on
  • FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Again there's always the chat channel workaround for 360.

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
    edited October 2007
    Again there's always the chat channel workaround for 360.

But then you have no latency compensation being done by the game at all. It would just mess everyone's timing up hearing the singer's voice come in late.

mntorankusu on
    edited October 2007
    How much experience do you guys have with this magical latency compensation concept?

FaceballMcDougal on
    edited October 2007
    How much experience do you guys have with this magical latency compensation concept?

There's nothing magical about it. You don't need to be some sort of technical engineer to understand how it works.

However, syndalis may very well be some sort of technical engineer?

mntorankusu on
    edited October 2007
    I'm just wondering how, since we are playing armchair developers, we would be dealing with "the internet" and all it's uncertainty. Since latency isn't a static value... games typically use prediction to simulate synchronization that actually doesn't exist.

You can compensate for static latency... like how the gaming lag adjustment works in GH2... but I just don't think it's possible in this case. I am actually one of those technical engineers btw... I just don't work in the gaming industry (there's not enough money in it).

FaceballMcDougal on
  • anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm just wondering how, since we are playing armchair developers, we would be dealing with "the internet" and all it's uncertainty. Since latency isn't a static value... games typically use prediction to simulate synchronization that actually doesn't exist.

You can compensate for static latency... like how the gaming lag adjustment works in GH2... but I just don't think it's possible in this case. I am actually one of those technical engineers btw... I just don't work in the gaming industry (there's not enough money in it).

I really wish there was a way of explaining this to people without sound like a jerk, but really, unless you are an engineer/programmer, it's hard to get people to understand. It just will not work in a way that reflects quality on the product. If it did, Harmonix would be doing it. It's not like they're lazy or fail to understand that multiplayer is a selling point of Rockband.

anable on
  • KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »

Game
    Microphone
    Guitar
    Drums

I'm confused... thats enough for 3 players, not 4?

Or was Guitar suppose to be plural?

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Homestar GunnerHomestar Gunner Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Kor wrote: »
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »

Game
    Microphone
    Guitar
    Drums

I'm confused... thats enough for 3 players, not 4?

Or was Guitar suppose to be plural?

The fourth person drinks all the beer so the one with the microphone will sound better.
    Yes, the pack only comes with one guitar; if you want someone doing bass, you have to buy either a GH2 controller or another Rock Band controller.

Homestar Gunner on
  • NaloutoNalouto Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    or a GH3 controller fuckass!

Nalouto on
    :winky:
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Nalouto wrote: »

Still not confirmed if those will work.

UnbreakableVow on
  • ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So I went in to EB to ask about Rock Band... looks like the bundle will be about $199 in Canada. At least, according to Random Guy Working At EB In The Mall.

Whee. Looks like a trip down south in November....

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Homestar GunnerHomestar Gunner Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Nalouto wrote: »

:|

My sincerest apologies for forgetting this minute detail.

Though last I checked, the GH3 guitar wasn't confirmed as working in Rock Band, nor was the Rock Band guitar said to work for GH3.

Homestar Gunner on