As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PbP] [Twilight Struggle] - Game 9 - Game Over - Soviets Win Over Long Haul

1234568»

• Options
    stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    Headlines chosen. U.S. has higher Ops so American event goes first:

east-european-unrest.jpg?w=640

indo-pakistani-war.jpg?w=640

6nbdnttf0mh5.jpg

US to help E Europe out of that crumbling Soviet thing, then, another regional war gets resolved.

Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
  • Options
    CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    2 out of Czechoslovakia, Hungary, Romania

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    Geth, roll 1d6 to invade India.

to invade India.:
    1d6 5 [1d6=5]

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    Cuban Missile Crisis, coup Algeria.

Geth, roll 1d6-1 for Algeria.

Algeria:
    1d6-1 3 [1d6=4]

• Options
    cuban-missile-crisis.jpg?w=640

qw1f3oh16frf.jpg

* Pakistan invades India
    * Soviet changes Soviet Military Ops to 2.
    * Pakistan wins Indo-Pakistani War.
    * Soviets gain 2 VPs.
    * Removing 4 U.S. Influence from India.
    * Adding 4 Soviet Influence in India.

American AR1

• Options
    Iron Lady for 3 in Algeria

• Options
    Muslim Revolutions. 2 in Czechoslovakia, 1 in Saharan States, 1 in Cameroon.

• Options
    use War games to coup Botswana

Geth roll 1d6 for coup

coup:
    1d6 2 [1d6=2]

• Options
    Nato: 1 in Botswana, 1 in Nigeria, 1 in Laos/Cambodia, 1 in Vietnam.

• Options
    the-iron-lady.jpg?w=640

In many ways presaging the “Reagan revolution” in the United States, Margaret Thatcher led a rejuvenation of the conservative movement in the United Kingdom. An ardent anti-communist, Thatcher received the moniker “Iron Lady” from the Soviet newspaper, “The Red Star.” Thatcher provided the perfect partner for Ronald Reagan, and together, they renewed the “special relationship” that formed the lynchpin of the post-war Atlantic Alliance. Thatcher’s finest moment may have been her vigorous defense of Britain’s colonial outpost in the Falkland Islands. The military junta ruling Argentina launched an invasion of what they referred to as the Malvinas Islands. In a sharp, short military action, the UK expelled the Argentinian forces, and restored some small luster to Britain’s former imperial pretensions. Thatcher reigned through the close of the Cold War, and is Britain’s longest serving prime minister.

muslim-revolution.jpg?w=640

wargames.jpg?w=640

Brinksmanship was a term coined by John Foster Dulles to describe a policy of coming close to war, without falling into the abyss. At different times, during different crises, this policy was pursued by both superpowers. However, there was always the danger that brinksmanship could turn the “cold” war, hot. Additionally, brinksmanship encouraged a nuclear posture of “launch on warning.” Game theory demanded that if your opponent were launching a massive nuclear strike, you would have to launch your own weapons before they could be destroyed in their silos. These doctrines shortened reaction times of world leaders from hours to minutes. On November 9th, 1979, the United States made preparations for a retaliatory nuclear strike when a NORAD computer glitch indicated an all-out Soviet strike had been launched. As recently as 1995, Russia mistook a Norwegian scientific missile launch for an attack, and Boris Yeltsin was asked to decide whether or not to counterattack.

nato.jpg?w=640

07v24trgzzi7.jpg

American AR3

• Options
    Evil Empire for Ops

3 in Botswanna

• Options
    Arms Race for the event.

• Options
    Olympic games for ops

Realign Angola
    Geth roll 1d6+2 for US
    Geth roll 1d6+2 for USSR

US:
    1d6+2 5 [1d6=3]
    USSR:
    1d6+2 8 [1d6=6]

• Options
    Realign Angola
    Geth roll 1d6+2 for US
    Geth roll 1d6+2 for USSR

US:
    1d6+2 6 [1d6=4]
    USSR:
    1d6+2 3 [1d6=1]

• Options
    Iran-Contra Scandal, 1 in Angola, 1 in Romania.

• Options
    Evil Empire for Ops
    2 in Angola

• Options
    @stever777‌ : I'm not sure where we are anymore. I could use a board update when you have time.

• Options
    an-evil-empire.jpg?w=640

First used by President Ronald Reagan before the National Association of Evangelicals, conservatives applied the term “evil empire” to the Soviet Union. This change in terminology encapsulated the conservative movement’s rejection of Nixon’s morally ambiguous policy of detente. The speech sparked controversy within the NATO alliance, as many European leaders found the speech unnecessarily provocative. Domestically, the left argued that the United States had no room to criticize Soviet actions during the Cold War, and pointed to CIA involvement in places like Chile. The speech gave further indication that the last phase of the Cold War would be a confrontational one.

arms-race.jpg?w=640

olympic-games.jpg?w=640

iran-contra-scandal.jpg?w=640

In an effort to secure the release of US hostages in Lebanon, the Reagan administration undertook secret negotiations with Iran involving “arms for hostages.” This was in violation of the stated US policy of never negotiating with terrorists. Compounding this difficulty was the fact that the proceeds from weapons sales to Iran were used to covertly fund the Contra guerillas in Nicaragua. This was in contravention of stated Administration policy, as well as laws adopted by the Democrat-controlled Congress. Colonel Oliver North and Admiral John Poindexter both were criminally indicted for the scandal, though the Congressional report concluded that President Reagan bore ultimate responsibility for the scandal.

wm9lde4rwbt7.jpg

Reagan has already declared the Soviets an Evil Empire.
    Please play another card.

American AR5

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Space Pershing 2 Deployed.

Geth roll 1d6

1d6 2 [1d6=2]

Capfalcon on
  • Options
    OPEC for the event.

• Options
    Aldrich Aimes Remix

Event First.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    aldrich-ames-remix.jpg?w=640

Remaining US cards - (China cannot be chosen to discard.)

marine-barracks-bombing.jpg?w=640lone-gunman.jpg?w=640the-china-card.jpg?w=640

stever777 on

• Options
    Discard Lone Gunman.

• Options
    2 in Afganistan, 1 in Zimbabwe

• Options
    Chernobyl: 2 in Hungary, 1 in Romania.

• Options
    I know it's literally the last move, but could I get a board update to ponder?

• Options
    pershing-ii-deployed.jpg?w=640

The Pershing II missile was designed as a direct counter to the Soviet Intermediate Range Missile, the SS-20. The deployment of 108 of these missiles in West Germany, Italy and the United Kingdom proved a major test for NATO’s resolve. Public protests against the deployments were massive. However, despite the strains, the weapons were deployed, providing NATO with a bargaining chip in the proposed Intermediate range Nuclear Forces (INF) treaty discussions. These negotiations had been suspended in 1983, and the successful deployment of the Pershing II’s provided impetus for restarting the talks in 1985. Ultimately, the talks would succeed at the Reykjavik summit in Iceland in 1986.

opec.jpg?w=640

aldrich-ames-remix.jpg?w=640

The first known successful penetration of the CIA by the KGB, Aldrich Ames compromised hundreds of CIA operations and provided information that resulted in the execution of 10 US sources. The CIA spent years looking for another explanation for the leaks—in particular the possibility that the KGB had bugged CIA headquarters. Ames’ motivation was not ideological, and he and his wife enjoyed the extravagance that his $2.5 million in bribes provided. Ames first walked into the Soviet embassy in 1985. At that time, he oversaw the analysis of Soviet intelligence operations in Europe.

chernobyl.jpg?w=640

The Chernobyl accident was the worst disaster in the history of nuclear power. Radioactive debris spread in a massive cloud that stretched throughout Western Europe, and ultimately reached the eastern seaboard of the United States. 200,000 had to be relocated from badly contaminated regions of Soviet controlled Ukraine and Belarus. It is estimated that as many as 4,000 people may die from the deadly exposure they received that day. Chernobyl displayed the kind of staggering incompetence that came to reflect Soviet bureaucratic decision-making towards the close of the Cold War.

elcxprevx0ln.jpg

American AR7

• Options
    China Card for Ops
    1 in Zaire, 1 in Romania.

Pretty sure that's the game for USSR.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Good game, Cap. I got very lucky with that last hand: apart from my hold card (Colonial Rear Guards), every card was playable and they were basically all 3 and 4 ops. Not to mention scoring 8 VP between Indo-Pak War, OPEC, and Arms Race. Had the cards been dealt differently on that last turn, I think the end score would have been very different.

Thanks @stever777‌ for hosting. I really enjoyed it.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    Yeah, my late war hands were pretty rough. On the other hand, Geth wouldn't let you pull off a coup either. Great game.

And, of course, thanks @stever777‌ for running the game!

• Options
    the-china-card.jpg?w=640

uwj2xfo5vw5s.jpg

*** FINAL SCORING ***
    USSR receives 3 VPs for Europe.
    USSR receives 7 VPs for Asia.
    US receives 2 VPs for Middle East.
    US receives 2 VPs for Central America.
    No one receives VPs for Africa
    US receives 8 VPs for South America.
    * Soviet player has The China Card for 1 VP.

*** Soviet Victory: 10 VPs ***

• Options
    Very GG, guys!
    Congrats, Commies!

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Just realized that Tear Down This Wall never made it out of the deck. I actually didn't know that all the Late War cards wouldn't get played.

Of course, I can count the number of times that my games of Twilight Struggle have made it to the late war on one hand, and I think I've only done final scoring once.

Capfalcon on
  • Options
    Well, as soon as Reagan called them an Evil Empire, the Soviets scored on the Arms Race & Iran-Contra came up.
    I think he was embarrassed.

• Options
    I spent most of that last turn suspecting you were holding Tear Down This Wall for AR7. It was only after you showed your hand that I decided to spend the ops to re-dominate Europe.

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    I was worried when I saw our first turn hand was HALF 1 op cards. It was literally the worst starting hand I've ever seen in this game. Then the die rolls were atrociously against us for a couple turns.

But it all turned around when David Duchovny became Russian. There's no standing up against that.