As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Star Wars Rebels] Season 4: May the Fourth Be With Uth

AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whateverRegistered User regular
edited April 2017 in Debate and/or Discourse
slide-XD_SWR_WebShowHero_1920x778-1000x405-Q100_1409094914926.jpg

IT IS A DARK TIME FOR THE REBELLION,
BUT A PRETTY GOOD TIME FOR STAR WARS FANS.
A NEW SERIES ON DISNEY XD TELLS THE LOST
STORY OF A RAG-TAG CREW OF OUTLAW DO-GOODERS
AS THEY STRUGGLE TO MAKE ENDS MEET AND SEEK
JUSTICE AGAINST THE ENCROACHING EMPIRE AND
THEIR EVIL AGENTS, LED BY THE VILLAINOUS
IMPERIAL INQUISITOR.

SET BETWEEN THE EVENTS OF EPISODE III
AND EPISODE IV, FOLLOW THE CREW ON THEIR
ADVENTURES ACROSS A GALAXY FAR, FAR AWAY
AS THEY STRIVE FOR PEACE, LOVE, AND SHOOTING
STORMTROOPERS IN THE FACE AT POINT BLANK.

BECAUSE, REALLY, WHAT'S THE POINT IN SHOOTING
STORMTROOPERS AT ALL IF YOU CAN'T DO IT
IN THE FACE AT POINT BLANK RANGE?
HAN SOLO LIVES FOR THAT KINDA SHIT, MAN.

Atomika on

• MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    I'm just happy the franchise has moved past the Clone Wars and are back to the gritty and desperate empire setting.

3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Last episode (at the cadet academy) was definitely interesting.
    It seems like they've pretty much gone to officially ignoring midichlorians, or at least aspects of them. Otherwise, they could have just run a bloodtest on Ezra and the other kid rather than call in the Inquisitor to find out if they were Force-Sensitive. Also seems like they'd have Blood tested anyway.

Also looks like we'll be seeing a bunch of trained Force-Sensitive Imperials (either assassins or some kind of trooper) make an appearance, which should be a fun set of villains.

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Yay thread!

Cadet Academy episode stuff:
    I figure there are two reasons the empire is collecting force sensitives. One is assassin set kind of in the Mara Jade style. The other is the genocide of force users. Which is one of the rumored actions in the EU that the empire did.

So they could probably be doing both.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Is there a place to watch from the beginning, if I ever get the chance?

If you have the channel, you can watch it via Disney XD app/website.

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    InkSplat wrote: »

If you have the channel, you can watch it via Disney XD app/website.

Thanks, but I guess directv isn't a "participating provider". :(

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Yay thread!

Cadet Academy episode stuff:
    I figure there are two reasons the empire is collecting force sensitives. One is assassin set kind of in the Mara Jade style. The other is the genocide of force users. Which is one of the rumored actions in the EU that the empire did.

So they could probably be doing both.
    They probably recruit force sensitives from such academies, than have them kill each other over the course of their advanced training. It's the best of both worlds that way.

Oh excellent. I didn't realize there has only been three episodes so far. They are all playing in a row this afternoon. Set to record!

Thanks for the info!

• Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    I could never get into Clone Wars even though people said it got really good later. I think the issue for me is that in the back of my mind, the looming end being Episode III as the conclusion really undermined my enjoyment.

Thank Jebus Rebels doesn't have that issue. All the characters are really well done. My favorite parts is that the Imperials seem like valid threats and most of the crew are parts asshole, parts hero.

Zen vs Kallus is still my favorite sequence, the balls of that guy.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
    I never watched them but those interested they did a set of shorts on the main characters for some background.

http://youtu.be/9pxyXtBuXHM

I love Zeb.

http://youtu.be/dgoDwquiwRM

Sabine is probably the best though.

http://youtu.be/2dSJRKB8x9E

u7stthr17eud.png
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    I could never get into Clone Wars even though people said it got really good later. I think the issue for me is that in the back of my mind, the looming end being Episode III as the conclusion really undermined my enjoyment.

Thank Jebus Rebels doesn't have that issue. All the characters are really well done. My favorite parts is that the Imperials seem like valid threats and most of the crew are parts asshole, parts hero.

I think definitely one good thing about Rebels is that the voice actors are free to just do their characters, rather than having to do an impersonation of someone else's. Probably not a coincidence in that almost all of the really stand-out performances in Clone Wars were for original characters.

At the very least though I'd really recommend checking out some of the later season story arcs, which totally embrace the fact that this is all going to end terribly. It's not often you get to see an animated show soaked in Hitchcockian dread.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    For the Clone Wars, if you're on the fence, just watch Ahsoka's last arc. It's the cartoon saying, "No, the prequels really didn't make much sense, and the Jedi are really the worst." Very satisfying.

The last, Netflix season is pretty great, too. It follows that general idea, but with more of a focus on the premise for the war, including those nagging questions about Sifo-Dyas.

edited November 2014
    I don't know so much about the jedi being the worst, individually they're still shown to be almost always well-intentioned, but TCW definitely makes it so that the fall of the jedi happened for a reason. Like the movies just has Anakin going, "Oh yeah, well the jedi are evil, nyaah!", but it doesn't really make much sense with his own motivations presented in the movie except for being whiny.

Like it's still imperfect either way to be sure, but if you just tell your friend the plot of the prequels it sounds terrible. If you tell them the plot of the prequels + the clone wars, it's actually a pretty interesting sounding story, with Anakin more of a Julius Caesar figure and the 501st as his 13th Legion

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    rebels is decent fun

the main character is execrable but the rest of them are enjoyable

i also liked the dope ass transforming rapier lightsaber

obF2Wuw.png
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Watched this, thinking it would be the usual junk that gets churned out the days.

Dammit if I'm not interested in continuing. Not only does the show get me from the nostalgia angle, it also seems to be steering well clear of the shitpile of everything from the prequel trilogy, which is double-good. So far, it seems like the show could've been made without the PT being made at all, and that's just fine with me.

• Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm enjoying the hell out of Rebels so far. It's seems very much like an homage to the original trilogy. It has a very pleasant balance between humour and seriousness, and there's some pretty fun interaction between the characters. I mean who wouldn't get a little tingle down your spine when you get a scene like this:
    (spoilered just in case anyone doesn't want to see a scene from the pilot episode)

Mazzyx wrote:
    I never watched them but those interested they did a set of shorts on the main characters for some background.

They also did some shorts for the villains. Personally, I really like the design choices behind the inquisitor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBpZSVzqtfU

Mazzyx wrote:

They also did some shorts for the villains. Personally, I really like the design choices behind the inquisitor.
    I definitely like the Inquisitor's look and style, but the spinny blade thing his saber does... I don't know, it's like they took his lightsaber gimmick just a bit too far there.

see317 wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote:

I definitely like the Inquisitor's look and style, but the spinny blade thing his saber does... I don't know, it's like they took his lightsaber gimmick just a bit too far there.

I dunno. When you see him actually use it, it makes a lot of sense in the cramped hallways of a starship. The thing fills the entire corridor. Dude just has to walk, and its basically a shield that melts you.

see317 wrote:

Admittedly the spinny blade does seem gimmicky, but when I thought about it, it's pretty much an extension of what General Grievous used to do with his arms, so I can kinda let it slide I suppose. Besides, his emphasis on analyzing his prey makes up for it.

I definitely think the spinny thing is dumb and obviously just there to sell toys

That being said, I kind of like how it suits the dude's personality so far. It'll go single blade, double blade, goofy spinny blade... Dude likes to have lots of options, so he built himself a ridiculous swiss army knife of a lightsaber.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    The only complaint I have is Sabine. She's not given much to do each episode, while the rest have established personalities. She needs to do more than snark, blow shit up, and be eye candy for Baby Luke Skywalker Ezra.

Harry Dresden on
    see317 wrote:

Admittedly the spinny blade does seem gimmicky, but when I thought about it, it's pretty much an extension of what General Grievous used to do with his arms, so I can kinda let it slide I suppose. Besides, his emphasis on analyzing his prey makes up for it.
    Comparisons to Grievous... I don't think they really do the Inquisitor any favors. (Assuming you mean Movie Grievous, as opposed to Clone Wars Grievous.)
    It may just be me. I think it's goofy looking, and it looks like that particular feature would be incredibly difficult to use in any kind of combat without lopping off your own limbs (or those of any one who may be nearby) than you would of actually hitting an opponent with it.

But, if the biggest complaint I have with the show is that the bad guys weapon is kind of goofy, I can live with that. It's not that big of a complaint, and if the writers are as good as it seems, it's unlikely that the Inquisitor will be seeing much hand to hand combat any time soon. I imagine they'll keep him pursuing the crew (particularly Ezra). When and if he shows up, the crew will bolt until the season finale when the Inquisitor will manage to trap them in such a way as they're forced to fight him to escape.
    The only complaint I have is Sabine. She's not given much to do each episode, while the rest have established personalities. She needs to do more than snark, blow shit up, and be eye candy for Baby Luke Skywalker Ezra.
    She also arts. And seems to have a fairly dickish sense of humor. May not be much, but it's something they can build on. I'd say give the show time for a Sabine centered episode so she can grow a back story and see what happens.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBpZSVzqtfU

his voice is good

obF2Wuw.png
    Kana wrote: »
    I definitely think the spinny thing is dumb and obviously just there to sell toys

That being said, I kind of like how it suits the dude's personality so far. It'll go single blade, double blade, goofy spinny blade... Dude likes to have lots of options, so he built himself a ridiculous swiss army knife of a lightsaber.

yeah but he favours the rapier look because hes dope ok

his head looks like a shark

obF2Wuw.png
    She also arts. And seems to have a fairly dickish sense of humor. May not be much, but it's something they can build on. I'd say give the show time for a Sabine centered episode so she can grow a back story and see what happens.

True. The reason I bought it up is that no other characters get written like that. I don't see why she has to be left out, unless its intentional.

True. The reason I bought it up is that no other characters get written like that. I don't see why she has to be left out, unless its intentional.

Um, Hera has had virtually no characterization either. She's been shown to be supportive of Kanan, but that's about it. There just haven't been enough episodes to give everyone a fleshing out.

Hera has a bit more character in the short above than almost the entire show so far.

u7stthr17eud.png
    If the show and book line up, Hera is a badass, so there's that to look forward to.

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Why is the Inquisitor allowed to operate in the empire? Do they have a Star-Killer deal with him?

Kadoken on
    edited November 2014
    The expanded universe - Which I am classifying Rebels as - has a lot of stuff about Dark Jedi that are agents of the Sith either as assassins or very high ranking or specialized enforcers.
    Mara Jade and Starkiller are good example of these types of agents.

I don't think they tend to operate quite as openly as the Inquisitor though. My guess is he's a surrogate for Vader because the Jedi purge was his job during this time, but we can't really have Vader chasing after Kanan and Ezra every week and twirling his moustache. I'm sure he's off doing bigger-fish stuff.

Edit: Huh. I had to go look it up but it looks like Rebels is indeed drawing from the expanded universe as the Emperor did maintain a division of Inquisitors to look for Jedi.

Morblitz on
    @Morblitz Um, Rebels is most definitely not EU. Old EU is now "Legends", while everything coming out now is orchestrated by the same team to make sure it works together. Rebels will fit perfectly with the upcoming movies and all upcoming books. The showrunner for Rebels is also the head of the new story team they've put together to manage all of Star Wars.

So, yeah, Rebels is just as canon as any of the movies.

Eh. I'll wait until they actually do link up.

• EvilOtakuEvilOtaku Registered User regular
    The old EU was basically blown out the airlock. It a big question whether Mara Jade even exists going forward. Any similarities to the Legends EU will just be the creators cherry picking what they thought was cool. For better or for worse, they aren't going to be beholden to the 30 year backlog of EU.

• LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    It seems like they've pretty much gone to officially ignoring midichlorians, or at least aspects of them. Otherwise, they could have just run a bloodtest on Ezra and the other kid rather than call in the Inquisitor to find out if they were Force-Sensitive. Also seems like they'd have Blood tested anyway.

Also looks like we'll be seeing a bunch of trained Force-Sensitive Imperials (either assassins or some kind of trooper) make an appearance, which should be a fun set of villains.

Do new episodes show up online first or something? I thought the last episode to air was "Rise of the Old Masters." I'm in the U.S. if that matters.

LostNinja wrote: »

Do new episodes show up online first or something? I thought the last episode to air was "Rise of the Old Masters." I'm in the U.S. if that matters.
    Yeah, they're typically available online a couple of days before they air.

• LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular

I love that even their astro droid is kind of a dick.

EvilOtaku wrote: »
    The old EU was basically blown out the airlock. It a big question whether Mara Jade even exists going forward. Any similarities to the Legends EU will just be the creators cherry picking what they thought was cool. For better or for worse, they aren't going to be beholden to the 30 year backlog of EU.

Disney replaced that with their own EU.

Um, Hera has had virtually no characterization either. She's been shown to be supportive of Kanan, but that's about it. There just haven't been enough episodes to give everyone a fleshing out.

I thought she had greater characterization then Sabine got.

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    Why is the Inquisitor allowed to operate in the empire? Do they have a Star-Killer deal with him?
    Back in the old EU/Legends, there was an idea that the Empire had a division just to hunt down rogue force users - the Inquisition. Rebels (which is now Canon) has adopted this (and many other ideas - such as the Imperial Security Bureau (ISB)).

Starkiller was Vader's personal assassin, raised and trained to kill the Emperor. Sadly, Force Unleashed is still Legends until Galen Marek (or Vader's Secret Apprentice) is mentioned in one of the works going forward.