As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Defender's Quest: Valley of the Forgotten, by Level Up Labs, LLC

• larsiusprimelarsiusprime Registered User regular
    There could be some sort of compromise there, where it's like "okay, the red squares are Barbarians, the white squares are magicians, the blue squares are knights" and then you can pause and issue commands and see the actual character there. Or something.

The main issue isn't so much compromising graphics as touch input guidelines. Basically, because you're using fingers and not a stylus on iOS/Android, the best practice is to never go below 40x40 "points" for any touchable element. A "point" is 40 pixels on the old resolution, or 80 pixels on retina resolution. This puts a hard limit on how big the map can be on phones without requiring scrolling or zooming. Basically, if it's going to be on phones, we have to design it specifically for the phone.

Then, you have to throw in all the market/pricing/discoverability problems that specifically come with the phone form factor. Now, let's assume there *IS* some magical UI solution at the end of that dark tunnel, if we put in enough effort. Even so, we still find ourselves in a market that is severely price-collapsed and hostile to any business strategy that isn't heavily F2P based. So, unless I get a call from Apple and/or Google and they swear up and down that they will totally have our backs with guaranteed promotion, I'm very reluctant to go after the phone market at this point, because pretty much everything is set against me there. Even Vita is a more promising target.

It's definitely a gamble to expand into new markets, and rest assured we're doing as much research as we can before committing to anything. It's also really hard to make these decisions based on anecdotal info, such as tons of people emailing me wanting the game for, say, Android tablets. Some devs I know had that exact experience, ported to <whatever> and then the market just wasn't there.

So, these "unscientific polls" aren't super reliable data, but if anything I'm most interested in what people *DON'T* vote for at all rather than what's #1.

Basically, here's some of the variables that go into the decision:

1) How many proven success stories are there on this platform?
    --->If so, how close are they to us, and what chance do we have of pulling the same thing off?

2) How big is the market?

3) How difficult/expensive/time-consuming is it to port to this platform?

4) How much promotion will we get from the platform holder?

Point 4) is the most important one by far. My experience so far has taught me that absolutely nothing compares to the "eye of sauron" effect of promotion. So, I'd be more than happy to release on a platform with a smaller install base if I knew a) the audience was generally receptive to that kind of game and b) the platform holder absolutely has our back. The reasoning for this is that we're *already* on the world's largest platform -- there's over a billion PC's, but we haven't sold a billion copies of our game, let alone a million. Kongregate and Newgrounds were basically entirely responsible for our early success, and later it was GOG and Steam bringing the eyeballs. Promotion, promotion, promotion.

• RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Of course, I should have known you had put way more thought into that than you were initially letting on. I've read some of your articles. I'M ON TO YOU!

Actually, that topic would be interesting expanded to an article (if you haven't already written one that I haven't seen), exploring a PC developer thinking about branching out to phones/tablets/consoles.

Yeah, the Apple app store is sometimes a complete wasteland. I can't imagine how difficult it is to stand out there with something new.

Also, that's a good idea using this poll to essentially confirm which platforms are less viable instead of which ones are more viable. You're coming to a forum with people who are interested in games, to a thread where people like me and Dude are interested enough in your game to keep it somewhat active. I'd probably deal with any UI weirdness to be able to play it on my phone, but it would be a tough sell at even $3 for most people. And while I wouldn't want to play it on the PS3, I could see why someone would. The Vita (if I ever get one) would be a good compromise, I think. Small enough to pocket, but way more inputs than a typical phone. (Clearly, the solution is an Android phone with a full keyboard. Those are still cool, right?)

Android phone with a full keyboard... well, if we support Android, that's an operating system more than a form factor. That's a whole nother question... but luckily our current tech framework (Haxe/OpenFL using HaxeFlixel) has been tested pretty robustly on those platforms so it should work in theory. As long as the screen is big enough to show the basic things and there's a not-terrible input mechanism, it's at the very least technically feasible. It all really comes down to what the rest of the market research suggests -- so far Android tablet is actually the #1 requested platform in our informal straw poll (if you don't count the higher plurality of votes crying "LONG LIVE THE PC GAMING MASTER RACE!")

• RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I was joking. Basically the only decent Android phones with a keyboard are the Motorola Droid series, and I'm not even sure they're working on a new one after the 4. That market is completely dead. It's all Galaxy S4 this and HTC One that. I miss my Blackberry's keyboard, but I'm finally getting used to the iPhone keyboard.

Hey guys, just a quick question -- if we were to do a pre-order campaign, what would you be interested in seeing in reward tiers?

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1he9-m_nP9IMiELm6uKAU5puhKQBKSnDa5yAHX_pw_kE/viewform

We haven't officially committed to this just yet, and if we do we haven't decided whether it would be on kickstarter or just our own site as a straight-up preorder campaign. What rewards are most important to you?
    Unlike previous surveys, answers here are probably very useful data as people on a forum thread like this are probably decently representative of potential backers.

I just put out a newsletter update. I'll post the most newsy bit here:

Dust: An Elysian Tail animator Dean Dodrill will be our lead animator for Defender's Quest II

Karen Petrasko will be handling visual designs (ie, everything 2D, and character/monster designs)
    Dean Dodrill will do all the actual animation

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Just noticed that survey for rewards. Is it still worthwhile to complete?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    We've got enough data for now, but feel free to give us your $0.02

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    I didn't answer the survey because none of the answers were: "Preorder Defenders Quest 2 and get the game NOW! NOWNOWNOWNOWNOWNOWNOW"

:(

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

I agreed, but it was a lie because I totally answered the survey.

Steam profile
    Defender's Quest II site is now live :)

http://www.defendersquest.com/2/

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular

Already blocked for me at work - Congratulations! :)

(How do they do that...?!)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    Oooooooh

Give me this game now

Steam profile
    edited October 2013

Amazon flagged my payment for review, says it should go through within 24 hours, but I totally bought the shit out of the Special Friend copy.

My name was in the first games credits and I wanna actually be in the sequels credits!

The Dude With Herpes on

Wow you folks are awesome. If you have any questions I'll be happy to answer!

edited October 2013
    Wow you folks are awesome. If you have any questions I'll be happy to answer!

@larsiusprime Payment went through.

Now I'm paralyzed not knowing if I should put in my real name or The Dude With Herpes as the name I want as an enemy.

EDIT: If I do Herpes can I get a funny attack that is disease related? :P

EDITx2: Oh, the description says I get to pick the monster that bears my name. Cool. TDWH it is.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited October 2013
    Hahah, well there's this:
    http://www.defendersquest.com/2/?page=preorder#approval

For the special friends tier, we'll have a list of monster types that can appear in that wave and you can pick which it is, and we'll let you put your name on them. I'll have to check with Anthony about whether "Herpes" is too much for our approval rating, but I'm sure we can find some way to accommodate your enthusiasm :) And if you've already submitted a name via the form and decide to change it later, we can always do that by talking with you directly

larsiusprime on
    edited October 2013

For the special friends tier, we'll have a list of monster types that can appear in that wave and you can pick which it is, and we'll let you put your name on them. I'll have to check with Anthony about whether "Herpes" is too much for our approval rating, but I'm sure we can find some way to accommodate your enthusiasm :) And if you've already submitted a name via the form and decide to change it later, we can always do that by talking with you directly

Yeah, that occurred to me. Herpes isn't just a STD though! You can get Herpes almost anywhere, including your brain! :lol:

But yeah, I'll change it if it's not cool. I'm easy. :P

The Dude With Herpes on

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

Yeah, that occurred to me. Herpes isn't just a STD though! You can get Herpes almost anywhere, including your brain! :lol:

But yeah, I'll change it if it's not cool. I'm easy. :P

... hence the herpes. :D

But yeah - getting on this real quick!

• jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Just saw DQ2 up for preorder and bought it right away. Thanks!

camo_sig2.png
  • HeirTransparentHeirTransparent ... Registered User regular
    Ordered my copy today! Looking forward to seeing more delicious HD videos (soon?) :)

steam_sig.png
    Hopefully! Dean's been busy so we're still working on the first few bits of animation, but as soon as we've got stuff to show off we'll post it. And Karen's been working on some great new environment art.

Haha I just saw Defender's Quest on the gog.com flash sale type thing they are having. It was free, and went fast, understandably :P

Steam profile
    We'll have some updates on how things are going soon! Thanks for your support everyone!

Okay, real quick:

Finishing up final work on Defender's Quest 1's last big patch. Trying to get it ready for Thanksgiving. It's available on Steam now if you opt in to the test_public branch:
    http://steamcommunity.com/games/218410/announcements/detail/1604701326354408578

Also there may or may not be CRAZY SECRETS that have been under your nose the whole time but you just never noticed.

I'm not quite sure.

Hey everyone!

Big news today.

Nobuo Uematsu (Final Fantasy composer) will be working on Defender's Quest 2!

Nobuo_Uematsu_2.jpg

This is not a joke. This is real!

That's fucking incredible.

Hey, did you ever find out if the name I put in for the Special Friends enemy will fly?

Did you send me an email about it? If so, bump it, otherwise hit me up at lars.doucet@gmail.com and I'll dig through my records :)

O_O

That's amazing

How many copies of your game can I buy?

Steam profile
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    You make these announcements that excite me and make me want to buy your game, and they would be working if I hadn't already bought it.

camo_sig2.png
    Yeah, that is actually really amazing.

Did you send me an email about it? If so, bump it, otherwise hit me up at lars.doucet@gmail.com and I'll dig through my records :)

Tossed ya an e-mail; no rush.

Any hints on alpha? :D

Hey guys! Big news today :)

1) Defender's Quest 2 Art, characters, music, news, etc.
    2) Announcing DQ1 HD special edition upgrade.

Read all about it!

DQ1 in HD?????

Indeed. With spiffied up art, too:
    whoa-1.png

Sprites are getting fancied up too.
    sprite_to_hd-1.png

And some DQ2 stuffs:
    terevan-attack-2.gif
    terevan_attack-2.gif

DQ1 HD will be a FREE Upgrade for existing owners.

There's plenty more details in the blog post so be sure to read it!

Hey, that post says you've started giving alpha backers access to the game even though it's still pre-alpha; do you need me to hit you up with an email or anything? I'm a Special Friend backer, but I don't go to the forums over there, so I am probably missing stuff.

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    "Weaselmancer"

<3

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    Yeah, it's been kind of a mess with Humble's notification thingy I'm supposed to use. Best pipeline I've got is to PM me on the leveluplabs forums with your email address since I can do everything there from one place, and that way I'll have everything I need (your forum username and your email address).

Here's a big update for everyone:

http://www.fortressofdoors.com/defenders-quest-2-weaselmancer-and-archer/

It has weaselmancers and stuff.

weaselmancer.gif

Weasels and Ferrets aren't the same thing!

I mean, due to some poor generalizations ferrets are often tossed into the same category as weasels and in english they're often used interchangably; but scientifically they're distinctly different branches of the same genus.

Pedantry! :P

Hey everyone!

Got a new update on our progress with the DQII engine, which we're of course going to use for the upcoming DQ1 HD re-release.

oxj1snibuj48.png

I used the recent release of Final Fantasy V on steam as a nice excuse to share all the crazy things you learn when working on an HD remake, especially because the FFV remake somehow managed (in my view) to do everything just about exactly wrong.

How to do an HD Remake the Right Way

IE, not like this:

5khh0rijb092.jpg