As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Suns out, guns out [Strength Training]

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Oh god it feels so good to get back to lifting, even if I haven't lifted in over a year. Taking it slow and careful to make sure I don't fuck anything up. Totally worth waking up pre-dawn to lift.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Peen wrote: »
    50% protein, 50% fat, 50% carbs. But good clean carbs, no cupcakes.

So I should eat 150% of the food I eat every day?

No no. He just got the percentages wrong.

It should be 70% Protein/70% Fat/60% Carbs.

Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Well, a lot of folks say "If It Fits Your Macros", so I made my macros spaghetti bolognese, Mars bars, and salt and vinegar chips. Problem solvered!

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular

No other way to grow brah.

• Options
    MercadeMercade Registered User regular
    Just squatted for the first time in like 8 months. DOMS inc

Switch: SW-1909-0466-9585
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Ooo good, online coach sez 1 more week of the dieting and then after that get to do 6-8 weeks of bulk HM HM moar carbs for me soon :):):)

poo
  • Options
    pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    Has anyone ever done Crossfit? Is that a dirty word around here?

I ask mostly because of a slowly rising interest in actual weightlifting and I'm pretty sure it'd be my best option for access to facilities and coaching.

gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    It's going to come down to the individual running the gym and their training philosophy. Some instructors are going to set you up with a basic weightlifting program and have you working on your form and others will just have you do the stupid wod of the day.

The problem is it's hard for a beginner to know if the program is crap or not.

• Options
    MethuselahMethuselah United StatesRegistered User regular
    pardzh wrote: »
    Has anyone ever done Crossfit? Is that a dirty word around here?

I ask mostly because of a slowly rising interest in actual weightlifting and I'm pretty sure it'd be my best option for access to facilities and coaching.

I've done a few Crossfit workouts at a local box.

I believe there's a lot of variability nationwide w.r.t Crossfit gyms. My impression, however, was that the dogma was there - lots of friendly debate with the coaches about mobility, programming, etc. This might be a problem depending on what you want to do there. The workouts are absolute ass-kickers, and the group setup definitely spurs you to give it 100% intensity.

I can say confidently that getting good coaching in a CF gym is an absolute crapshoot. There's just no quality control. If you have access to other comparable facilities, you can educate yourself and do fine.

If you want to do Crossfit because it will keep you motivated and make you look better naked, I say have at it. It's pretty fun.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    It should be fairly easy to pick a decent crossfit gym. Go in, and if you see people kipping and not being told to stop, walk back out.

• Options
    NWKNWK Registered User regular

Of course. Now begins the glorious Winterbulk.

Steam GW2: Silas.5762
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    I was pretty sore yesterday from Mondays lift, I may have gone pretty heavy on the rack pulls I did. But no real soreness from yesterday, which was a heavy press day but relaxed on the volume. Feels good. Today may be an off day cause I've got school work to handle, but will likely make up for it Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    What headphones yall use
    My last pair just broke and my gym's playlist is atrocious

poo
  • Options
    Shure SH215

• Options
    Does the detachable cable on those mean if the cable shorts out it'll be easy / cheap to replace?

poo
  • Options
    Yes. They sell replacement cables.

• Options
    Hmm yes that seems like a wise investment then thank you sir

poo
  • Options
    I use 10$ skullcandy ear buds because UNRULY BASS

• Options
    Had a real dumpy day squatting. Could only hit 3 reps of my 5RM-5lbs. Didn't sleep well, had a horrible long day of school, and the gym was packed since I got there so late.

I think I'm going to start using a belt again Friday when I go for round dos.

• Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    Does anyone here do any lifting with arthritis? I've never gotten an official diagnosis, but I have psoriasis and I've always had very creaky knees so psoriatic arthritis is by no means a stretch. I thought losing a bunch of weight had helped, but as soon as the weather changed my left knee started hurting again. I haven't been lifting because I was hoping it'd go away with some rest, but it's been a few weeks and doesn't seem like it's going anywhere.

Is arthritis pain the kind of pain I should just push through, or do I have to wait for spring to start squatting again?

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Get a diagnosis

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    And some knee sleeves if the cold bothers your knees.

• Options
    Ever had any actual knee injuries? My reconstructed ACL throbs when it's cold and rainy, but it's otherwise painless and strong.

• Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    pardzh wrote: »
    Ever had any actual knee injuries? My reconstructed ACL throbs when it's cold and rainy, but it's otherwise painless and strong.

Nope. No previous injuries. The joint just feels grindy (both of them, really, but the left one especially). I think it's probably a safe bet, given that feeling combined with my inherited psoriasis and 15ish years of being ~50lbs overweight and completely out of shape, to assume some kind of arthritis. It's never been painful enough to make me go to a doctor and it's not enough to make me limp or anything like that. It's just a general soreness that makes stuff like stairs and squatting down to pick thing up more unpleasant than it should be. Which makes me hesitate to squat/deadlift with it feeling like this.

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    ToddJewellToddJewell Registered User regular
    Deadlift check: http://youtu.be/uMRjHw_ZmfU

Lowered weight a bit to try to work on form but it seems like I can't get my body in a good starting position, comfortably

• Options
    Vid's private!

• Options
    ToddJewellToddJewell Registered User regular
    Oops!

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I've lost 30 pounds on my bench since the gym closed. I was still able to show the kids at school that thought they could lift a thing or two, though.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    @ToddJewell‌

Bar's too close to your shins. So you try to almost straight leg it up to avoid dragging the bar into your shins. Also your hips aren't low enough and your shoulders are way out in front of the bar.

Edit: Yeah, you really need to get your hips down more so you're getting into a good position with the shoulders right around the plane of the bar.

Matt Wenning's videos are always a great place to look for some form tips.

http://youtu.be/xS2wLZSdeDg

http://youtu.be/ksnAyxoF9v4

http://youtu.be/eNrV439zi54

http://youtu.be/pSjdcZ0YNm8

http://youtu.be/vV3BGGfgcTU

http://youtu.be/fzwrWqMl-3g

http://youtu.be/YmFGBeC9eRM

http://youtu.be/pCxgPQvUxX8

http://youtu.be/zJafk5lcbgo

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    9 parts... I gotta watch those this weekend I think

poo
  • Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    Did some testing today. 180/120/250@87.2.

So deadlift is 70kg higher than my squat. Crane mode confirmed

• Options
    Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    I too was tested today, and found wanting. Managed 29x165 squats (as triples). Failed the last rep twice. FFS. Got quite a nice 210 clean DL though. Upper back is gettin' nice and strong.

• Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    Had to work overtime today. Headed down to the gym on my break for fun.

305 pound bench press and 165 pound military press.

Good day.

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    I am wearing a tight sweater that I haven't worn in a while and it makes my arms look big and you can see my triceps through it, this is making me irrationally happy.

Also my new wrist wraps get here today and I'm pretty excited, I've been doing some goldilocks shit with them (too tight, too loose) and I'm crossing my fingers that these are just right.

• Options
    Form check on deadlift?
    I was trying for 5, did 4
    I can see my back rounding but wondering what cues you'd recommend to fix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtube_gdata_player&v=zb2W9f_exl8

poo
  • Options
    dang those were ugly as fuq

poo
  • Options
    MethuselahMethuselah United StatesRegistered User regular
    Bar speed is good, hip position is good.

I see you're doing the K-Star-esque setup where you brace before gripping the bar. I think you're coming into flexion because you're not taking the tension out of the bar. I like to take a big breath, flex my lats with Mike T's cue of "shoulder blades in the back pockets," and think about hovering the bar off the ground. Think 90% force to squeeze yourself into setup position. Only then do you initiate the pull.

I hope any of that is helpful to you. Keep grinding.

• Options
    Thanks, that makes sense! Will try that.

poo
  • Options
    Yup, these are my new favorite wrist wraps. I got the 24 inch Zeus wraps from Strength Shop and they are the right mix of supportive and stretchy, got a nice incline session in tonight (because all of the squat racks and flat benches were full, dunno what that was about) and they were great. Hit three solid triples with 195 on the incline, that's an unlooked-for personal best.

• Options
    WoW expansions: the ultimate gains goblins.

This discussion has been closed.